Steve Huff review and video

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2018/1...is-more-again/

https://youtu.be/pWVonIhTYsQ

Old 10-24-2018   #202
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
No need to read the review or watch the video. This is all you need to know:

"It’s also light and small, and has an amazing thumb grip in the very retro and vintage film cocking lever. Once you use this grip you will not want to be without it. Leica, please put this in all future versions of the M ; )"

The next shot is a canned photo of someone setting up a CL with a phone using FOTOS.

Old 10-24-2018   #203
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
No reframing required. The conversation is already underway. Leica must have nothing but contempt for their customers to introduce something like this. If someone actually tries to wind it, thinks it's jammed, and breaks off the lever, will it take nine months to repair? It's a Leica.
I don't know if contempt is the right word, but Graham Greene's Dr. Fischer of Geneva comes to mind. But I'm some kind of M240/246 user, so take it for what it's worth (or not worth).

Dante

Old 10-24-2018   #204
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Sadly, they know their market. Mostly bling seekers and a half a dozen photographers. Is anyone here actually doing to buy the M10-D? I know, you are too embarrassed to admit it.
I'd buy one if it didn't have the stupid faux film wind lever. It has the one thing that I would enjoy good use out of: the ability to use the Visoflex 020, which would enable my ability to use the Leica R lenses, bellows, etc for macro and tabletop work.

I'm not in the market just at the moment. Perhaps Leica will listen to all of the noise and produce a model without the idiocy for people who don't want it.

G

Old 10-24-2018   #205
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise

I generally like the idea of the camera with the lack of lcd. The wind comes out too far though. It should have been limited to what a regular film M is like when you use the lever to rest your thumb, just free of the body. Or they could have just put a nubbin there instead. Kinda weird to use the shape of a wind lever...

I think it fails on price though for what it is. I can just imagine the insufferable Leica Wonkers who will buy this camera and proclaim how pure they are. No one that buys this camera will say it stinks because they will look like a fool having paid what amounts to a premium for it.

The shilling for the camera from the youboobers is pretty bad too....

Old 10-24-2018   #206
jawarden

That is one strange camera. I have no problem with a thumb grip/rest/whatever, but making it look like a film advance lever is a poor choice. Winding on film on an M3 for instance is a real pleasure because it feels and sounds good as the parts work together, and you have tactile feedback that the film is moving properly, and that the shutter is ready, and when you've exposed your last image the resistance in the lever tells you so. It's an authentic, high quality experience. I can't imagine this thumb rest feeling anything but vacant in comparison.

Maybe for next year's model the base plate could come off like on an M3 and people could pretend to struggle loading faux film while actually inserting a memory card. ;-)

Old 10-24-2018   #207
Emile de Leon

This is a real Leica camera...for the real Leica man..hahaha....
But all kidding aside..no lcd..but you can still use the visoflex..and tilty it too..as well as your cell phone..
If I needed this m10d....which I don't..I would definitely buy it..as it comes real close to perfect..
The "film" wind..they should have used the one on the m4..as the m3 type if you have ever had it stick in your eye by accident..that really bites..
I've got a lot of Leica glass..would work well on this cam to be sure..

Old 10-24-2018   #208
bhop73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
Maybe for next year's model the base plate could come off like on an M3 and people could pretend to struggle loading faux film while actually inserting a memory card. ;-)
Don't all digital Ms already do that?

Old 10-24-2018   #209
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
How about they put on a semi-functional "rewind" lever, where the original one is? Or for the early M2 crowd, perhaps a button; this will have to be flipped/depressed BEFORE removing the baseplate in order to protect the SD card. Even better, the rewind knob then has to be rotated at least 17 times before pulling the baseplate. If this step isn't taken, the camera will "fog" most of the images in the card and irreparably damage the data of all but a few.
I mean, if we're going to get a completely real, fake experience, don't hold back; we might as well go whole-hog.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-24-2018   #210
aizan

“fake leica” by liao yibai

i think he may have been on to something.

Old 10-24-2018   #211
Fjäll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I'd buy one if it didn't have the stupid faux film wind lever. It has the one thing that I would enjoy good use out of: the ability to use the Visoflex 020, which would enable my ability to use the Leica R lenses, bellows, etc for macro and tabletop work.

I'm not in the market just at the moment. Perhaps Leica will listen to all of the noise and produce a model without the idiocy for people who don't want it.

G
I'm sure it would be easy to just remove it.

Old 10-24-2018   #212
splitimageview

Should be no more difficult to remove than it is to remove the wind lever on a film M.

And then everyone can add a Thumbs Up, right?

Old 10-24-2018   #213
jawarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhop73 View Post
Don't all digital Ms already do that?
Wow, right you are, and I had no idea. I use an M3 and haven't tried the digital ones. Seems like another odd design choice, but okay it's unique. :-)

Old 10-24-2018   #214
Huss

Any truth to the rumour that the film winder actually doubles as a bottle opener?

Now that would be cool. The first full frame digital camera with bottle opener. As we all know that capturing that decisive moment can be thirsty work.

Old 10-24-2018   #215
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Any truth to the rumour that the film winder actually doubles as a bottle opener?

Now that would be cool. The first full frame digital camera with bottle opener. As we all know that capturing that decisive moment can be thirsty work.
I doubt that the camera would have a bottle opener but seeing as I was a good sailor, I took a lesson from my USMC brethren and adapted and overcame the adversity of not having a bottle opener when needed; by using one of the lips of the lens flange. Works fine to pry open a bottle cap. Then again, pretty much anything does.
I would expect Leica to maybe have a corkscrew double as the trigger winder lever for a Leicavit.

Phil Forrest

Old 10-24-2018   #216
Guth
Observational Documenter

For me, one word best describes the faux film advance lever on this camera: cheesy. I’ve said exactly the same thing about the fake “carburetors” (used to disguise the fuel injection throttle bodies) that Triumph now uses on their classic Bonneville series of street bikes. More recently Triumph also added water cooling to these motorcycles by attempting to hide the radiator between the twin downtubes of the frame. They also kept some pseudo air fins on the engine cylinders passing it off as functional cooling when it’s not really needed. They’ve been selling like crazy — just as much “lifestyle products” as they are motorcycles I suppose.

I guess that is just what a lot of people are looking for these days. Likewise I won’t be surprised if Leica ends up selling plenty of these. Yes, some might manage to remove the fake film advance lever and end up creating some stellar images with it. Regardless, I’ll still think of this as the cheesiest Leica of all. Unless heaven forbid Leica should come up with some way to top it. I sure hope not.

Old 10-24-2018   #217
Jamie123

Maybe it's a bit OCD but doesn't it seem that it would be very frustrating to have your finger on a "lever" and never be able to pull it through?

Old 10-25-2018   #218
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
I’ll still think of this as the cheesiest Leica of all. Unless heaven forbid Leica should come up with some way to top it. I sure hope not.
I`m sure somebody is working on that at this very moment ...

Old 10-25-2018   #219
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I just discovered it's a thumb rest. The camera was never in my sights but I have to say I'm very disappointed!

Old 10-25-2018   #220
robert blu
quiet photographer

I'm not in the market for a new camera, budget sone't allow it and I'm satisfied with the M10 as it is.

I do not like the falso film wind lever. Apart of this I like the concept of this camera, without LCD but with the possibility to connect an EVF just in case of need.

robert

PS: about the false wind lever: I think Leica before deciding for this solution made appropriate marketing research...

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 10-25-2018   #221
DavidKKHansen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
People seem incapable of just softly saying “hunh” to themselves and going on with the rest of their day.

To this camera I say: hunh.

(softly spoken, of course )

Old 10-25-2018   #222
Moto Mark

I don’t see what the big deal is about not having a screen in the back of the camera. I have the LCD screen turned off on my M240 so I can shoot and not think about the images until later.

Fake wind lever notwithstanding it’s a nice camera but I’ll stick with what I have for the immediate future.

Old 10-25-2018   #223
mod2001
Old school modernist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mark View Post
I don’t see what the big deal is about not having a screen in the back of the camera.
Helpful sometimes if you're in street photography, had it several times that people were a little bit p.... off but relaxed when they saw I shoot film

Anyhow, the no screen solution is probably better suited to build smaller compact cameras like the GRIII for example, EFV & Flash in, display off. Would be nice. I never used the display (except initial settings) on my digicams.

Juergen

Old 10-25-2018   #224
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

To me this is similar to whacking a Starsky and Hutch style racing stripe on a Merc or BMW. lol

Old 10-25-2018   #225
c.poulton

Leica has since the 'Ur-Leica' followed the form-follows-function philosophy of the Bauhaus. Sadly, with this incarnation of it's M10-D, they have gone away from this philosophy with this 'fake' wind-on lever, whatever they say about it being thumb rest.

Sorry, Leica, I don't buy this...

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 10-25-2018   #226
tifat

I guess I should be embarrassed to admit that I like it. I use an M4 and and X100T. On the Fuji, I use an accessory thumb rest. If the wind lever had never existed and Leica introduced this as a retractable thumb rest, it would be brilliant.

Old 10-25-2018   #227
Bobfrance
Over Exposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
To me this is similar to whacking a Starsky and Hutch style racing stripe on a Merc or BMW. lol

😂

Old 10-25-2018   #228
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
I`m sure somebody is working on that at this very moment ...
We already have the removable bottom. How about adding a flip-up back so you can put the SD card where the shutter curtains used to be? Truth be told, I'm still holding out for moving the ISO dial to the back, and adding a rewind crank. It would work like in the film camera models; it just wouldn't do anything. But you could pretend it did for the real film experience. And everyone around you could marvel that you were still using film. Then you could go to a cafe, and take a few photos of your camera and cafe au lait. Beret optional. Magnifique!

Old 10-25-2018   #229
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
Using the FOTOS app for immediate download did PIXII just get pwned?
No. Many brands offer immediate image transfer. But those brands don't have mechanical rangefinders.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-25-2018   #230
splitimageview

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.poulton View Post
Sorry, Leica, I don't buy this...
They aren't worried, there are more than enough who *will* buy it

Old 10-25-2018   #231
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
No. Many brands offer immediate image transfer. But those brands don't have mechanical rangefinders.
Or fake film advance levers.

Old 10-25-2018   #232
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
Perhaps Leica will listen to all of the noise and produce a model without the idiocy for people who don't want it.
The could realize their error in judgment and cease production of the ones with the wind lever, which would then skyrocket in value. It would be a win-win.

Old 10-25-2018   #233
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mark View Post
I don’t see what the big deal is about not having a screen in the back of the camera. I have the LCD screen turned off on my M240 so I can shoot and not think about the images until later.

Fake wind lever notwithstanding it’s a nice camera but I’ll stick with what I have for the immediate future.
On the small Leica M body, removing the LCD and all the attendant buttons leaves a lot more room for my fingers to grip the camera without hitting a control inadvertently. On my CL, I've become very enamored of the "turn off all controls" toggle that was introduced in the firmware 2.0 release because I'm forever hitting something otherwise and having to reset my configuration.

Old 10-25-2018   #234
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifat View Post
If the wind lever had never existed and Leica introduced this as a retractable thumb rest, it would be brilliant.
Agree.

Anyway, Leica can/will most certainly offer a service to remove the lever. It will cost $1000+, but since "less is more" that is a small cost for "real photographers"...

Old 10-25-2018   #235
Guth
Observational Documenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
That's pretty funny. I'd actually equate it more to Merc or BMW taking one of their cars with an automatic transmission, installing a fake manual gearshift and featuring it as a handrest.

Old 10-25-2018   #236
jawarden

Quote:
That's pretty funny. I'd actually equate it more to Merc or BMW taking one of their cars with an automatic transmission, installing a fake manual gearshift and featuring it as a handrest.
Oh that's good. :-)

Old 10-25-2018   #237
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
right on the mark.

Old 10-25-2018   #238
Huss

Quote:
and then putting out a press release saying it brings u back to the roots of driving.

Old 10-25-2018   #239
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
and then putting out a press release saying it brings u back to the roots of driving.
Now that is funny

Old 10-25-2018   #240
santino
eXpect me

Ironically the title of the thread got wrong... it's not a cocking lever :-)