Slide Film Options? Expired or not.
Old 05-31-2018   #1
dave lackey

Slide Film Options? Expired or not.

Recently, slide film has returned to my interest. Looking back over all the years, black and white film and slide film have accounted for the majority of my significant "keepers". But I have not shot slide film much in the past ten years.

I am shooting some 120 Velvia at the moment, and I have sime 35mm Velvia and expired Provia waiting in queue.

I am very much planning to cut down 120 slide film for my 127 needs.

What are my options for any format to use slide film these days? It seems that expired slide film works pretty well... but how long expired?

Can anyone recommend specific expired slide films that may be found and have a good potential for being useable?

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #2
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Dave,
The only "sure thing" in my opinion regarding slide film, was that expired Kodachrome didn't suffer from age. It wasn't affected by intense heat either. Unfortunately, we don't have K14 anymore and I digressed. As for E6 film, I've seen it start to shift if it wasn't properly stored, so I wouldnt take a risk on expired film unless I *knew* it had been refrigerated or frozen. Of course these days with a scanner and post processing you can recover shifted colors but that is just more time in front of a computer and less time shooting.

Phil Forrest

Old 05-31-2018   #3
gnuyork

I just had some long expired (but frozen) Provia processed. Looks very good on the light table, but I'll see further when I get around to scanning.

I've had decent experience with expired E100VS as well.

Basically all of my slide film is out of date at this point, I think it's holding up well though if kept frozen. Any slight shifts (if at all) could be easily corrected in LR or PS, assuming the end result would be digital scans.

That's my take anyway.

Old 05-31-2018   #4
dave lackey

Phil,

Great advice... and I have seen some mighty fine images in expired slide film lately but I have no idea how long-expired I can go... it looks promising if frozen, as you mentioned!

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #5
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I just had some long expired (but frozen) Provia processed. Looks very good on the light table, but I'll see further when I get around to scanning.

I've had decent experience with expired E100VS as well.

Basically all of my slide film is out of date at this point, I think it's holding up well though if kept frozen. Any slight shifts (if at all) could be easily corrected in LR or PS, assuming the end result would be digital scans.

That's my take anyway.
Actually, having seen your own results is what has me thinking about using expired film. Very nice, IMO!!!

Thanks!

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #6
dave lackey

This looks interesting... and cheap!! Black and white slides!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...iABEgKlePD_BwE

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #7
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

That is double run 8mm motion picture film.
The cheapest way to shoot black and white reversal film are to use TriX motion picture reversal film and have it processed as reversal. It's about the same cost as 5222.

Phil Forrest

Old 05-31-2018   #8
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_F_NM View Post
That is double run 8mm motion picture film.
The cheapest way to shoot black and white reversal film are to use TriX motion picture reversal film and have it processed as reversal. It's about the same cost as 5222.

Phil Forrest
Yes,thanks, 8mm film, but i am wondering if it is available in 35mm. I must check it out.

There seems to be other options besides Kodak and Fuji but I haven't had time to research it.

I will be away for awhile taking care of my daily work and will check in. I need the rest anyway as my injured arm is too painful to type anymore anyway. Thanks for the comments so far!

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #9
valdas

Be careful with expired Velvia, it tend to turn red/purple if kept in unproper conditions.

Old 05-31-2018   #10
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Yes,thanks, 8mm film, but i am wondering if it is available in 35mm. I must check it out.
Fomapan R100 exists also as 35mm still film. Looks great processed in Fomapan BW reversal kit.

Old 05-31-2018   #11
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
Fomapan R100 exists also as 35mm still film. Looks great processed in Fomapan BW reversal kit.
Interesting! Who has it for sale either in rolls or bulk? B/W slide film may be interesting for a project I have in mind.

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #12
charjohncarter

A friend gave me 10 rolls of Ektachrome 200 (120) which he poorly stored and expired 2003. I shot the first roll and it is fine (now they are in my fridge):

Ektachrome 200 expired by John Carter, on Flickr

He also gave me some Velvia 50 (35mm) and it had no date but it was bad so that didn't work. He gave me some C-41 Fujifilm too. it was bad.

The Kodak Portra expired film from him has been good.

So for me I'll take a chance on Kodak expired film but really need to know the history of Fujifilm.

Looking at B&H there doesn't seem to be much out there right now. I'm set for a while with my own supply of fridge stored E-6, but who knows the future.

Old 05-31-2018   #13
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
A friend gave me 10 rolls of Ektachrome 200 (120) which he poorly stored and expired 2003. I shot the first roll and it is fine (now they are in my fridge):
Ektachrome 200 expired by John Carter, on Flickr

He also gave me some Velvia 50 (35mm) and it had no date but it was bad so that didn't work. He gave me some C-41 Fujifilm too. it was bad.

The Kodak Portra expired film from him has been good.

So for me I'll take a chance on Kodak expired film but really need to know the history of Fujifilm.

Looking at B&H there doesn't seem to be much out there right now. I'm set for a while with my own supply of fridge stored E-6, but who knows the future.
Wow, that really is nice! I have seen good results from Agfa as well with over 10 years expired. Thanks, John.

Dave

Old 05-31-2018   #14
J enea

black and white slides are really easy to do if you are used to mixing your own developers from scratch. as for color, people seem to be charging the sun and moon for expired slide film, its actually cheaper to buy fresh film. samy's now has the lowest prices on 120 velvia 50 and provia. BH just raised their prices again. they seem to be doing that often. testing the waters to see how high they can charge. they are now the most expensive on most films of the major internet retailers.

Old 05-31-2018   #15
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

I need to correct what I said above. TriX isn't available as 35mm reversal film anymore.
Sorry about that.
Phil Forrest

Old 05-31-2018   #16
Pentode

In my (admittedly limited) experience with expired slide film I've found that anything faster than 100 is definitely a gamble. I've had pretty poor results with 400 that was only a few years expired and not poorly stored. On the other hand, well stored 100 and 50 (Velvia and Provia) tended to behave pretty well up until about five years. I'm not talking about refrigeration here; just avoiding extreme heat and humidity. After five years, all bets are off. I had rolls that were from the same batch shift differently despite identical storage. I don't even try with anything that's over five years old if it was kept at room temperature anymore.

Now if it was frozen.... well, I imagine it would probably last quite a long time but that's only a guess.

Old 05-31-2018   #17
michaelwj
----------------

I've had a fine experience with older Provia 100 and Velvia 100. Velvia 50 on the other hand, proved to be not so successful. Some investigating found many others who had no issues with the 100 speed E6 films, but who found Velvia 50 to be much more sensitive to age/temperature/etc.

Old 05-31-2018   #18
gnuyork

My frozen Provia (recently developed) is from the 90s, fyi. Also my first time shooting Provia, but it looks just like very much like the scene I was shooting.

I have a lot of Velvia 50 left... I sure hope it's still good.

Old 05-31-2018   #19
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

It's probably helpful for those commenting about "Velvia 50" to clarify exactly which film they're referring to, so that readers can weigh up their options on the basis of accurate information. "Velvia 50" technically means RVP 50, the revised film Fuji re-introduced in, I think, 2008 from memory.

Prior to that Fuji manufactured RVP, an ISO 50 film known simply as "Velvia", or "Velvia for Professionals", to give it its long title shown on the original packaging. RVP wasn't ever called "Velvia 50", because there was no need to. While it was current, there was only one type of Velvia: RVP 100 and RVP 100F had yet to be introduced. When the revised Velvia range was introduced, the ISO 50 version was then named "Velvia 50" (RVP 50), in order to distinguish it from the new Velvia 100 and 100F Fujichromes.

I can't speak to the keeping qualities of Velvia 50. But I was gifted a 100 foot roll of Velvia some years ago, which promptly went straight into my freezer in its bulk loader and is spooled as desired. It continues to perform well.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 06-03-2018   #20
gnuyork

I'm sure I have both versions of Velvia in the freezer.

Old 06-04-2018   #21
Ted Striker

All the E6 labs I used in the past are closed down. More E6 labs close each year than any other type. I wonder how long processing will even be available for slide film? I have lots of Astia 100F in the freezer as well as Provia 400X.

Old 06-04-2018   #22
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
All the E6 labs I used in the past are closed down. More E6 labs close each year than any other type. I wonder how long processing will even be available for slide film? I have lots of Astia 100F in the freezer as well as Provia 400X.
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? For that matter, how long will I live?

It doesn't matter. Photography is retrospective by nature. Once that image is captured, the moment is in the past. The present is fleeting. We do not own the future either.

I have a lot of work to do, so I prefer to use what is available and use those reputable E6 labs lihe Dwayne's, The Darkroom, and many others across the country in lieu of bemoaning the loss of other labs.

If I need film, I will find it. If I need E6 developed, I will find it. No worries on my part.

Dave

Old 06-04-2018   #23
jawarden

Quote:
If I need film, I will find it. If I need E6 developed, I will find it. No worries on my part.
Exactly. It's a great time to be a photographer. We have the best films and cameras, quality processing, access to top quality scanning, outstanding digital post processing tools, the best printers, etc etc.

We have it easy.

Old 06-04-2018   #24
santino
eXpect me

IMO E6 film doesn't age very well. You're far better off with C41 or B&W.

Old 06-04-2018   #25
Ted Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawarden View Post
Exactly. It's a great time to be a photographer. We have the best films and cameras, quality processing, access to top quality scanning, outstanding digital post processing tools, the best printers, etc etc.

We have it easy.

No we don't. Many of the best films are long gone. Provia 400X, Reala 100, Astia 100F, and now Acros 100 were my personal favorites. Others have different lists of long gone films that were theirs. We have scraps left over, that are good enough but are most certainly not the best that ever was.

I remember when quality E6 processing was found easily. Today not only are E6 labs nowhere near, more are closing very day. E6 is in terminal decline. It is easy, absolutely easy, to see the end in sight for E6.

Old 06-04-2018   #26
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
IMO E6 film doesn't age very well. You're far better off with C41 or B&W.
No idea about aging well. At the moment, I am only interested in the image itself. Sadly, Kodachrome is gone, but then, who cares about my images now and who will care in 2050?

Realistically, I wish I had done everything on Kodachrome my entire life just for me to view and share with family and friends. I have no expectation they will embrace the longevity of an analog image.

And I certainly do not expect to be famous.... LOL!

Dave

Old 06-04-2018   #27
santino
eXpect me

Quote:
No idea about aging well. At the moment, I am only interested in the image itself. Sadly, Kodachrome is gone, but then, who cares about my images now and who will care in 2050?

Realistically, I wish I had done everything on Kodachrome my entire life just for me to view and share with family and friends. I have no expectation they will embrace the longevity of an analog image.

And I certainly do not expect to be famous.... LOL!

Sorry for mybad English.. I meant unprocessed, expired film doesn't age well (color shift etc).

Old 06-04-2018   #28
jawarden

Quote:
No we don't. Many of the best films are long gone. Provia 400X, Reala 100, Astia 100F, and now Acros 100 were my personal favorites. Others have different lists of long gone films that were theirs. We have scraps left over, that are good enough but are most certainly not the best that ever was.

I remember when quality E6 processing was found easily. Today not only are E6 labs nowhere near, more are closing very day. E6 is in terminal decline. It is easy, absolutely easy, to see the end in sight for E6.
You're welcome to your opinion, of course. You haven't changed my mind a bit, but I'm sure you know that. Enjoy.

Old 06-04-2018   #29
dave lackey

Quote:

Again, it doesn't matter. It is easy enough to see we will die. I am certainly not going to discuss it on a forum or sink into a worry mood just to have something to bitch about.

I am going to live life! And part of that is to shoot images including E6 for my enjoyment, and for use to inspire patients who have survived catastrophic diseases, injuries and illnesses then worked very hard for years to flourish and make a difference in this world. In other words, I am giving them portraits of their own healing to celebrate their achievements and continue to inspire others.

What good is bitching?

Dave

Old 06-04-2018   #30
telenous

Dave, I used a lot of expired Ektachrome/Elitechrome 100 until last year. With the latest/"freshest" batch being 6 years old by now, the results were really hit and miss. If properly stored the film had a minor shift in colour; if, on the other hand, improperly stored or ancient expect significant colour shifts and loss of speed. I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it, what with the not insignificant cost of developing a slide film that may turn out stale. I now shoot reasonably priced Agfa Precisa 100 and some very slightly expired Provia 100. When Fuji drops these two, it's Ektachrome (the new kind) time again. Perfect loop

flickr
instagram

Old 06-04-2018   #31
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by telenous View Post
Dave, I used a lot of expired Ektachrome/Elitechrome 100 until last year. With the latest/"freshest" batch being 6 years old by now, the results were really hit and miss. If properly stored the film had a minor shift in colour; if, on the other hand, improperly stored or ancient expect significant colour shifts and loss of speed. I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth it, what with the not insignificant cost of developing a slide film that may turn out stale. I now shoot reasonably priced Agfa Precisa 100 and some very slightly expired Provia 100. When Fuji drops these two, it's Ektachrome (the new kind) time again. Perfect loop

Thanks for that Agfa tip.

I eagerly await Ektachrome. In the meantime, there are a lot of opportunities to explore with film. black and white especially. I hope to shoot E6 for awhile as part of upcoming projects... so fresh is key!!!

Dave

Old 06-04-2018   #32
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by santino View Post
Sorry for mybad English.. I meant unprocessed, expired film doesn't age well (color shift etc).
Got it! I fully understand.
In another endeavor, I am looking into this while it lasts:

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/42221...-Film-120-Size

500 year archival film?!!!!!!!

Dave

Old 06-04-2018   #33
Ted Striker

Quote:
Again, it doesn't matter. It is easy enough to see we will die. I am certainly not going to discuss it on a forum or sink into a worry mood just to have something to bitch about.

I am going to live life! And part of that is to shoot images including E6 for my enjoyment, and for use to inspire patients who have survived catastrophic diseases, injuries and illnesses then worked very hard for years to flourish and make a difference in this world. In other words, I am giving them portraits of their own healing to celebrate their achievements and continue to inspire others.

What good is bitching?

None of the above should prevent you from being factually correct. You can still follow through on all your photographic activities without being delusional that these are indeed the best of times, because even a cursory inspection of the facts show that they are not. Being factually correct is not bitching.

Old 06-04-2018   #34
dave lackey

Quote:
None of the above should prevent you from being factually correct. You can still follow through on all your photographic activities without being delusional that these are indeed the best of times, because even a cursory inspection of the facts show that they are not. Being factually correct is not bitching.
Mr. Alias Ted Striker,

You have a choice to be positive or negative on a forum. You obviously choose to be negative and deny all of it. Your choice.

It may be cathartic (Def. purging/cleansing as in defecation, look it up) for you or it may be that you like negativity, or controversy. Instead of being a positive presence in threads you choose anonymity and negative posts. Whatever.

But you will be negative without my participation, I shall happily ignore you. Have a good life!....

Dave

Old 06-04-2018   #35
Ted Striker

Quote:
Mr. Alias Ted Striker,

You have a choice to be positive or negative on a forum. You obviously choose to be negative and deny all of it. Your choice.

It may be cathartic (Def. purging/cleansing as in defecation, look it up) for you or it may be that you like negativity, or controversy. Instead of being a positive presence in threads you choose anonymity and negative posts. Whatever.

But you will be negative without my participation, I shall happily ignore you. Have a good life!....

I dont know what world you live in where correct information is negative. Thank god I dont have to live in such a fantasy world.

Old 06-04-2018   #36
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
I dont know what world you live in where correct information is negative. Thank god I dont have to live in such a fantasy world.
He's pointing out the fact that just about everything you post is contrarian. Kodak is failing, E-6 is gone, film companies' stocks are in decline, the sky is falling, I'm sure there are a few more. Your correct information is put here to foment discontent among people looking for pleasure in the craft. It doesn't help anyone when someone posts a question such as "is there a good analogue alternative to X?" and you join the conversation with statements which are not constructive at all and are more like "X is in serious decline and because I have charts, facts and like to debate, I am going to tell you that your opinion has no merit and you should do things my way."
That is the problem.

Phil Forrest

Old 06-06-2018   #37
Ted Striker

Quote:
Your correct information is put here to foment discontent among people looking for pleasure in the craft.
Completely false. You could not be more incorrect. My intentions are nothing of the kind. The statement was that we are in the best of times for film photography. I disagree with that. Past times have been better for several reasons.

In no case at all do I wish anyone to have anything other than maximum pleasure with their hobby. To suggest that I am trying to foment discontent shows an utter lack of reading comprehension. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Old 06-06-2018   #38
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Quote:
In no case at all do I wish anyone to have anything other than maximum pleasure with their hobby.
Then quit posting your pedantic retorts to everything and stop bringing down the conversation.
Try to add something truly constructive.

Phil Forrest

Old 06-07-2018   #39
Ted Striker

Quote:
Then quit posting your pedantic retorts to everything and stop bringing down the conversation.
Try to add something truly constructive.

Phil Forrest

LOL! Too funny.

Old 06-08-2018   #40
dave lackey

Back to the topic of the original post on this thread...

Has anyone tried this:

https://filmphotographystore.com/pro...ome-160-1-roll

Dave