Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Scale Focus 35's

Scale Focus 35's Though not rangefinders, scale focus 35's are 1st cousins. This forum includes such popular gems as the Rollei 35's, Petri 35's, and the Olympus XA-4.

is my Minox 35 broken?
Old 03-29-2017   #1
giganova

is my Minox 35 broken?

I just received a mint condition Minox 35 GT-E that I got off Ebay. However, I think the camera is broken:

When I turn the aperture ring, I don't see the aperture blades inside the lens moving at all. Aren't they supposed to move?

Thanks!

Old 03-29-2017   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Isn't it combined with the shutter in GT-E?
https://www.photo.net/discuss/thread...moving.508309/

This is how I was checking my Minox 35 aperture. My model was AE only. With back removed I was taking picture with lens pointed to the bright lamp and watching it through the back. And after it I was pointing it into the darker area to see if aperture with be changed (opened). It should be easier to check with yours same way because your model allows aperture to be selected.

Old 03-29-2017   #3
giganova

Thanks for the link! Interesting read, but I;m still confused:

The aperture doubles up as shutter in the GT-E model? So when I turn the aperture ring, it only changes the light meter settings but not the actual aperture blades?

Old 03-29-2017   #4
Highway 61
Revisited

The GT-E is a GT with more reliable shutter electronics and a UV filter - no other difference.

If you don't see the "cateye" aperture blades open and close when you turn the aperture ring, you have a problem.

Old 03-29-2017   #5
giganova

Yeah, that's what I thought: the first aperture blades (cat eye) should move when I turn the aperture ring, the blades behind it open and close the shutter (which they do). The first aperture ring does't move at all when I turn the aperture ring.

Old 03-29-2017   #6
telenous

Have a look at this: https://www.flickr.com/groups/649182...7612937954151/

It's an easy DIY fix (and I 'm saying this as someone who's all thumbs) and it did restore my ML back to life. Obviously all sorts of things could have gone wrong with your GTE but it's worth a try. Hope it helps, good luck.

flickr
instagram

Old 03-29-2017   #7
giganova

Alkis -- that fix is only for the shutter, which works fine on my Minox.

Old 03-29-2017   #8
telenous

OK I 'm with you now, my bad.

flickr
instagram

Old 03-29-2017   #9
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
I just received a mint condition Minox 35 GT-E that I got off Ebay. However, I think the camera is broken:

When I turn the aperture ring, I don't see the aperture blades inside the lens moving at all. Aren't they supposed to move?

Thanks!
You've inspired me to hunt up whereever the heck it is I have stuffed my Minox 35GT-E. I know I still have it, just don't remember what box or drawer I've put it into.

G

Old 03-29-2017   #10
giganova

Godfrey -- if you find it, please let me know if your aperture blades move when you turn the aperture wheel. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2017   #11
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

See this image of a Minox with aperture set at f11. You can see the cats eye diaphragm blades: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Minox_35GT.jpg

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 03-30-2017   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Godfrey -- if you find it, please let me know if your aperture blades move when you turn the aperture wheel. Thanks!
I found the whole kit ... Minox 35GT-E, camera case, flash, close up kit, close up stand, and original boxes for most of it. First time I've seen it in a while. All nice and almost new ... I bought the whole shebang in 1998 and used it on some business trips. I should sell it.

Unfortunately, yes: when you turn the aperture ring, you should see the aperture blades move. If you don't, the aperture selector is busted.

G