Contax T2/T3 prices
Old 02-25-2017   #1
bucs

Contax T2/T3 prices

Am I the only one who thinks that prices for Contax T2 and T3 are outrageous at the moment?

$500 upwards for a T2
$900 upwards for a T3

I seem to recall prices then for each camera were a couple of hundred bucks lower and I wouldn't bite then.

Heck, for the price of a T3 I could use the money to buy a Leica M2 and CV 35/2.5 color skopar!

Last edited by bucs : 02-25-2017 at 19:27. Reason: past prices

Old 02-25-2017   #2
Huss

I sold my T3 a few years ago, before I rediscovered film, for about $400. Wish I had kept it.
Funny thing is I first took it to Samys Camera in LA as they buy used gear, but they wouldn't offer me anything for it as they said it was worthless!

Old 02-25-2017   #3
giganova

I didn't help that Kendall Jennar took pictures with a Contax T2 of Jimmy Fallon during the Tonight Show this week! Now the prices are through the roof.

Old 02-25-2017   #4
Archlich

I sold my T3 for a comparatively modest price of $1000 last month, in China.

This may sound stupid, but what I heard is a certain Korean star was shown wearing a T3 as a personal camera (or rather, a fashion accessory) last year, driving fan girls into buying frenzy. I did witness them picking up which ever the T3s they came through regardless of price tags, not having a clue what these little metal boxes were until then.

The T2 was under a similar circumstance, its price on a steady rise during the past 2 years (back in 2013 you could buy a T2 for as low as 20,000 yen in Japan, if memory serves). After all these years the Porsche styling seems to be fairing well again...

Old 02-25-2017   #5
leo mm

Yes, I noticed this the other day too; the prices seem way up from 3-4 years ago (last time I looked). Some of the asking prices for T2s/T3s on the auction site are nuts. Interesting to know that there might be celebrity endorsement effects at play.

Old 02-25-2017   #6
Sunti

I've got both T2 and T3 bought years ago. Glad I haven't sold them. Not that I'm good at speculating, but because I procrastinated :-)

Old 02-25-2017   #7
mani

I don't think those celebrity 'endorsements' are making any difference - the prices have been rising for a few years. I had the chance to buy an ex-demo, boxed black T3 for $1000 a year or so ago - and passed because it felt expensive. Now I'm lucky if I see that sort of camera for less than around $1600-1700 (and usually these cameras aren't even in the same shape).
Guess it's sort of the downside of film's revival...

P67
Old 02-25-2017   #8
bucs

Wink P67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post

This may sound stupid, but what I heard is a certain Korean star was shown wearing a T3 as a personal camera (or rather, a fashion accessory) last year, driving fan girls into buying frenzy. I did witness they picking up which ever the T3s they came through regardless of price tags, not having a clue what these little metal boxes were until then.

The T2 was under a similar circumstance, its price on a steady rise during the past 2 years (back in 2013 you could buy a T2 for as low as 20,000 yen in Japan, if memory serves). After all these years the Porsche styling seems to be fairing well again...
I'm confident and 100% sure that the P67's price will never hit outrageous levels hahaha!

Last edited by bucs : 02-25-2017 at 21:55. Reason: Smiley

Old 02-26-2017   #9
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:

This may sound stupid, but what I heard is a certain Korean star was shown wearing a T3 as a personal camera (or rather, a fashion accessory) last year, driving fan girls into buying frenzy. I did witness they picking up which ever the T3s they came through regardless of price tags, not having a clue what these little metal boxes were until then.

Yep, that Korean star is being cursed by a lot of people who want to by T3 in Chinese networks these days...

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 02-26-2017   #10
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:

Probably had to do something, adding up on a baseline appreciation.

Contax has a couple of systems that appreciated/maintained very well. The T's and the 645. Time for someone to drop a reissue!

So it goes from "this is great gear, and cheap, buy" people buy up, supply dries a bit, people make reviews and youtube videos, price keeps rising, cool cat uses it, prices go up a notch... and there we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
I'm confident and 100% sure that the P67's price will never hit outrageous levels hahaha!
Ironies aside, I didn't quite follow the system prices, but the P67II appreciated and there was a thread about this topic in the forum a while ago. Then the 150 2.4 is making rounds for its rendition.

Turns out pentaxforums has a price history graph: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensrev...F2.4-Lens.html
U shaped

Perhaps I should have dropped the heavy dough for one a couple of years ago instead of getting a Fuji 6x9...

Old 02-26-2017   #11
Bill Clark

I gave to my daughter a Yashica, it was labeled either T2 or T3. It had a Zeiss lens.

At the time I bought it, a long way ime ago, I thought I was told it was basically the same camera as Contax but at less price. Plastic body.

It took beautiful photographs. One photograph I made at the Arboretum, I had enlarged and framed, about a 30x24.

At any rate I thought I'd pass my thoughts to you as you may consider a Yashica camera.

Article with #9 mentions Yashica (Contax as well in the article):

http://www.digitalrev.com/article/th...oots-ever-made

Old 02-26-2017   #12
splitimageview

Even the Yashicas are going up, used to get them for $50.

Old 02-26-2017   #13
bucs

Well I just hope the increase in price on film cameras because of the high demand also translates to more people buying film

Last edited by bucs : 02-26-2017 at 04:55. Reason: Demand

Old 02-26-2017   #14
Skiff

It is not surprising. Contax T, T2 and T3 are very good cameras.

Interest in film and film demand is increasing.
The demand for lots of very good cameras is increasing.
That leads to increasing camera prices for those cameras.

But currently still quite a lot of cameras are much underrated. You can get them still at extreme bargain prices (e.g. Nikon F80, F90X, F100, F5; Canon EOS 1n, EOS 1V, EOS 30/33V, EOS 300X, Minolta Dynax 7 and 9, Dynax 800si, the Rolleiflex 6000 series, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, the Zenza Bronicas, Leica R4, R5, R7).

Excellent time for buyers, and currently it is the best time to built up your complete system, with main camera and second camera (or backup).
Now is the time to buy. It will not become cheaper!
In the coming years the used film camera prices generally will rise with the increasing interest in film and its revival.

Old 02-26-2017   #15
Scapevision

More so, interest in no b/s point and shoot "film look" is still on the rise, the Instagram crowd is the main buyer of these. Thanks to the multitude of bloggers recommending the contax p/s for the "lifestyle" and "street" crowds, the price has gone up crazy.

Old 02-26-2017   #16
Scope79

I agree, camera prices rising by days! In 2014 I bought a nice T2 in box for a modest sum of 150Euros and shot few rolls with it, but it felt kinda a bit too heavy for a compact camera, so I kept it inside the box and was using Gr1s more often, and in 2015 it sold T2 for 350euros, buyer was very happy and so was I. Now, recently I checked the prices on analog gear and spotted one again, couldn't believe my eyes Its seems that we might even see a new analog camera manufactured by a company like Nikon , Olympus or even Sony( with Minolta engineers help) who knows?

Old 02-26-2017   #17
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunti View Post
I've got both T2 and T3 bought years ago. Glad I haven't sold them. Not that I'm good at speculating, but because I procrastinated :-)
Ha! Ditto.

Old 02-26-2017   #18
BlackXList

It's hurting to do so, but this is exactly why I'm selling my T3 at the moment.

Still holding onto the T2, unless they suddenly jump up again, but it reached the point where I couldn't justify holding on to it vs what I could buy.

Old 02-26-2017   #19
MadsJaeger

Paid $125 for a T2 in nice condition last year. Didn't realize then I made an excellent deal!

Old 02-26-2017   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

I own a T2. What is its market value today? $250?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-26-2017   #21
bucs

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiff View Post

But currently still quite a lot of cameras are much underrated. You can get them still at extreme bargain prices (e.g. Nikon F80, F90X, F100, F5; Canon EOS 1n, EOS 1V, EOS 30/33V, EOS 300X, Minolta Dynax 7 and 9, Dynax 800si, the Rolleiflex 6000 series, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, the Zenza Bronicas, Leica R4, R5, R7).
Shhhh, we know

Old 02-26-2017   #22
bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I've seen several go for at least $500. And still going strong

Old 02-27-2017   #23
ProviaFan

Quote:
I completely agree and would add the Fuji Klasse to the list. It is light years ahead of the T2 in features (manual ISO, flash always off setting, pre-focus with half shutter button press) and although a bit bigger than the T3 it just feels better in the hand. I've had all 3 cameras and still have the Klasse, my only regret is I sold the T2 and T3 before the market peaked.

Old 02-27-2017   #24
ColSebastianMoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Sure, $250 seems about right. Where shall I send the check?

Just kidding... Hang on to it, Raid! Or sell it for $600+

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 02-27-2017   #25
aizan

most of what's driving up prices is that the cameras are getting harder to repair. you gotta have backups. it's the death throes of the contax t series.

Old 02-27-2017   #26
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
most of what's driving up prices is that the cameras are getting harder to repair. you gotta have backups. it's the death throes of the contax t series.
Rubbish.

Anyway, back in the real world, T2s are selling for around the $600 level here in Sweden - to enthusiasts and new film users.
I'm still on the hunt for a reasonable T3 - they are out of reach these days.

Old 02-27-2017   #27
telenous

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
That's a consideration too. Years ago Aperture and Ffordes used to sell a lot of Contax T/T2/T3s but, if you look, they don't any more. The repair person in Aperture UK expressly told me what you are suggesting when I showed him my T3. They just didn't want a camera that, in case of a sale, might have involved them in a tricky repair trip. (And that despite the fact my T3 didn't look like it might need a repair in the near future.)

flickr
instagram

Old 02-28-2017   #28
mani

Quote:
Originally Posted by telenous View Post
That's a consideration too. Years ago Aperture and Ffordes used to sell a lot of Contax T/T2/T3s but, if you look, they don't any more. The repair person in Aperture UK expressly told me what you are suggesting when I showed him my T3. They just didn't want a camera that, in case of a sale, might have involved them in a tricky repair trip. (And that despite the fact my T3 didn't look like it might need a repair in the near future.)

So let's do a totally unscientific survey here: how many people on this thread are looking for a backup for their 'broken' T2 or T3 - and how many are looking for a T3 they can shoot the hell out of?

If it's broken T3s that are driving up the price I hardly think sellers would be asking $1500-1800 for a used T3. There's a shop in Stockholm with a black T3 right now for the equivalent of $1650. Someone gonna buy that as a 'backup' because it's in its 'death throes'?

And if it's 'death throes' for the T3 - how come cameras like the Klasse are going sky-high? I got in touch with a guy in Gothenburg who was supposedly selling a Klasse W a few months ago - he wanted more than they'd cost new! I cooled off for a few weeks then got back in touch - expecting he'd have softened up a bit for a lower price. He'd sold it of course.

The demand is there for these cameras.

PS: I'm remembering why I don't come to RFF so much anymore. The grumpy old men brigade - finding negativity in everything. Should just stick to the buy-and-sell. Find me one of those broken old T3s that no-one really wants.

Old 02-28-2017   #29
telenous

I don't know how many people are looking for backups. I was commenting on the "harder to repair" (boldened in the quote) bit which seems to be true. The repairman at Aperture did tell me that he was seeing increasingly T3s fail and that they didn't want to have to do with them. Choose to disbelieve him if you like but looking for T3s (or T2s or Ts) in the second hand shops I usually buy from doesn't bring anything up. It seems that, for reasons which we can only surmise upon, quite a few second hand shops stay out of the sale of luxury compacts. There's certainly no glut of compact Contaxes like it used to be the case, say, ten years ago. That leaves T3s mostly on Ebay and they are priced quite highly like most of the stuff one sees there.

flickr
instagram

Old 02-28-2017   #30
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

A lot of cameras that rely on a lot of electronics are failing and can't be repaired because the old electronics are no longer available. And the moral is, hold on to your Leica M2...

Regards, David

Old 02-28-2017   #31
HHPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

A lot of cameras that rely on a lot of electronics are failing and can't be repaired because the old electronics are no longer available. And the moral is, hold on to your Leica M2...

Regards, David
At least my local camera repairmen disagree .
They told me
- electronics very seldom fail, mechanics fail much more often in cameras ( I have the same experience: In the last decades I have never had an electronic fail in my film cameras)
- lots of electronic spare parts are still in the supply chain
- if there are no more electronic spare parts, then they just take them from bodies they have as spare parts spenders.

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-28-2017   #32
bucs

You are lucky then because not all repair guys would say the same thing

A Hexar AF died on me two years ago and no one would accept ot for repair. Of course people would say just buy another one but how many cycles do I have to go through? That's why I decided to just convert the lens into an M mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
They told me
- electronics very seldom fail, mechanics fail much more often in cameras ( I have the same experience: In the last decades I have never had an electronic fail in my film cameras)
- if there are no more electronic spare parts, then they just take them from bodies they have as spare parts spenders.

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-28-2017   #33
Solinar
Analog Preferred

My older Rollei 35S is pretty much a mechanical, Antediluvian beast by comparison - but I was able to send off to Harry Fleenor at Oceanside camera a couple of years back to have the meter calibrated for silver oxide batteries and have the slow speed escapement serviced.

Granted that the Rollei 35S is not a point and shoot camera, but the image from the HFT 40mm Sonnar rivals the Contax - if you get the focusing right.

35mm Gear Bessa R, Leica II, - IIIg, - M2
Just for fun 35mm Gear a Kodak Retina II, Retina IIa, a Rollei 35 S, plus an Oly 35RC and XA
Modern Medium Format Fuji GW 690III
Vintage MF Folders a Voigtländer Bessa II and Perkeo II - a ZI Mess Ikonta 524/2 - plus an Agfa Super Isolette & a Record III
Digital a D300 and a D700 with some primes - still going a decade later

"Who spilled the Dektol on the bathroom carpet?"

Old 02-28-2017   #34
Peter_S

Same experience here. My mechanical Ms spent more time in repair than in hard use (I sold them in the end due to unreliability). Also my M7 and Bessas - all failures were mechanical. The Contax T3 I use in rough conditions since years and has not failed (except the tooth in the winding spool - a 15min self-fix job) - same for the G2, which I found more robust than the M6. I have no idea who services Contax, never needed it. Who services Leica I know pretty well.

I forgot what my T3 cost me, and its irrelevant, it has served me more than expected and if it would fail I would probably buy one again. They are that good.
Yes, the used prices are sky-high, but there is a good chance they will serve longer than most other cameras at the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
They told me

Cheers, Jan
Beater Leica X1

www.ps-photo.net
On instagram

Old 02-28-2017   #35
aizan

just think about it. kyocera stopped repairing the t2 in 2014 because they don't have the parts anymore, and only certain things can be repaired on the t3.

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/201...a-repair-news/

what would drive up demand for a working camera more strongly? the knowledge that the situation will only get worse for repairability, and once a glitch comes up (which is inevitable, despite anybody's experience to the contrary thus far), the camera is probably a goner?

or is a renewed appreciation for film driving up demand? while there is more interest in film and film sales seem to be on solid ground, that doesn't explain why the bubble for these particular cameras is expanding. they've always been the most desirable p&s film cameras in recent history. what's changed?

anyhow, mechanical cameras may break more often than electronic cameras, but it's also more likely that you can get them working again.

Old 02-28-2017   #36
anerjee

Quote:
Now is the time to buy. It will not become cheaper!
... but it will die one day.

(Owner of a dead T2 and dying Hexar AF)

Old 02-28-2017   #37
bucs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anerjee View Post
... but it will die one day.

(Owner of a dead T2 and dying Hexar AF)
My heart broke into a million pieces when my Hexar AF died

Last edited by bucs : 02-28-2017 at 06:14. Reason: Misc

Old 02-28-2017   #38
brennanphotoguy

At least there are places (MS Optical) that can retrofit a lot of point and shoot lenses into LTM and M mount rangefinder coupled housings when your camera dies.

Those prices have been pretty steady for a long time except for the random cheap finds and short price hikes that go back down to that $500 level for T2s and $1000 level for T3s (at least the double tooth model). Usually you can find them second hand from people not on ebay for $350-$400 in ok condition but the minty ones are definitely gonna cost you.

Old 02-28-2017   #39
BlackXList

My T3 sold for $1000 today, (minus ebay fees of course).

Very sad to see it go, but at that price I couldn't justify keeping it around compared to what it could pay for.

Still have a T2, and for now I'm holding onto it, they're outstanding cameras.

Old 03-01-2017   #40
David Hughes
David Hughes

When three nice, neat and almost perfect Contax cameras have failed on you, you give up; well, I did.

I was talking to a well know and highly respected repairer and he said that no one wants to pay out serious money to have a camera stripped down, tested and then reassembled if it can't be repaired because the parts aren't made any more.

As for mechanical ones and mechanical bits in electronic cameras (things like switches etc), they can usually be cleaned and adjusted (like meters) but sometimes are worn too badly.

Regards, David