Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

how many times you tried to go digital?
Old 10-13-2016   #1
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Just for yourself, don't count that Big Bad Black DSLR for paid gigs. I think I tried at least five times, most recently with M9 and X100 I just decided to get rid of after like three weeks.

Old 10-13-2016   #2
ktmrider

I am still trying as I have both M9 and M2's. I had X100 but sold it last year and thinking about selling the M9 as I post this. Photoshop is still a strange application to me and I do not use my phone for photos.

Technology has its advantages but I am an analog watch, film camera and fountain pen kind of guy. The best aircraft ever designed was a DC3 and the best helicopter was a UH-1.

Old 10-13-2016   #3
vladimir
vladimir

Just once and never look back.

Old 10-13-2016   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Did it once it become available at reasonable price. It is practical way to save on film and time.
Now I have digital for pictures I need and film for pictures I want.

Old 10-13-2016   #5
Bill Clark

I've been using some black & white film lately.

I mix film and digital together. I like them both.

Old 10-13-2016   #6
Pioneer

I have tried to go just film or just digital several times and it has not worked.

I finally quit worrying about it and now I use both, for different purposes of course. They each add value for me.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-13-2016   #7
tightsqueez

Yup... isn't it great for those who are a little more evolutionary adapted; can shoot both film AND digital at the same time. Isn't it great being an omnivore?

I seriously do not get the psychological issue with digital vs. film. When have we forgotten good images? The moments? Many GREAT photographers have done the same transition.

Iraq & Afghanistan https://www.flickr.com/photos/703557...7645044968305/

GRAVIORA MANENT ERGO BIBAMUS

Old 10-13-2016   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
Just for yourself, don't count that Big Bad Black DSLR for paid gigs. I think I tried at least five times, most recently with M9 and X100 I just decided to get rid of after like three weeks.
I have no idea what "don't count that Big Bad Black DSLR for paid gigs" means. I've never 'tried to go digital'.

I have been working with digital images and digital image processing since 1984—professionally, as part of my work at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. I started scanning my prints, then my negatives, at home in 1993-1994 or thereabouts. I bought my first useful digital camera in 2002. I still have film cameras, still process film, still scan and render my film images; just bought another film camera recently, haven't had a chance to use it yet. My Leica M-D and SL are used regularly too.

I just do photography, eh? What's the difficulty?

G

Old 10-13-2016   #9
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightsqueez View Post
Yup... isn't it great for those who are a little more evolutionary adapted; can shoot both film AND digital at the same time. Isn't it great being an omnivore?

I seriously do not get the psychological issue with digital vs. film. When have we forgotten good images? The moments? Many GREAT photographers have done the same transition.
It is certainly a terrific time in history to be a photographer.

Professional grade film cameras in many format choices are available at fire sale prices.

If you can wait two or three years, most high budget digital cameras are on sale as well since they become obsolete in so many people's minds.

The Canon EOS 1Ds and Nikon D2X can both be had for under $400. That is unbelievable for cameras that cost at least 10 times that much when they were introduced.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 10-13-2016   #10
sara

3 or 4 I think, and then I tried to force myself to like it but it didn't happen. Lol.

Old 10-13-2016   #11
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbielikowski View Post
I never tried to go digital. I use digital and I use film.

Old 10-13-2016   #12
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

I use digital for all of my color work and have done so for several years.

I still shoot film for black and white.

Old 10-13-2016   #13
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Countless !

Have enjoyed them for a Quck Fix BUT then become Bored
then the Gear goes up for grabs here on RFf
and I'm back with Film

Old 10-13-2016   #14
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

No matter how often I tried to get rid of analog gear and sold it off, it somehow manages to replace itself time and time again. At some point I even happened to buy back the 6x6 SLR I sold 5 years earlier.. This analog thing, it's like a leaking boat, it's hopeless..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 10-13-2016   #15
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Twice. Still have the EOS 10D, I use it to take pictures of my film cameras that take pictures i like.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 10-13-2016   #16
mod2001
Old school modernist

I tried it several times too, simply not working. Small reasons? Many. Much too clean files (same reason I don't like T-max), cameras with thousand buttons, their prices (at least the new ones I like), post processing, backup orgies, you name it.

If I had to go digital these days, Canon's Queen mum and Leica's M8 would be on my list first, still thinking sometimes to buy on of these for color stuff as I don't need high ISO, but, and this ist the biggest but, I simply find no real connection to digital files on a computer, somehow they don't have any value for me. The same reason why I don't use an e-book reader. It gives me no satisfaction when reading this way. Think I'm an analogue guy, same with music, never stopped buying vinyl.

Don't think that one medium is per se better than the other, they are just different.

Yogi

Old 10-13-2016   #17
Bruno Gracia

every 30 days or so, constant struggle.

Old 10-13-2016   #18
John Bragg

I have stuck with film right through. My only concession is that I now scan negatives and hence I am a hybrid photographer. I love my film cameras and all the tactile experience that is involved in their use. I really enjoy the experience of developing film and would still print with my enlarger if time and space permitted but I am more than happy with my hybrid output. I have the best of both worlds, digital files to share and negatives on file to archive or re-visit at leisure.

Old 10-13-2016   #19
telenous

Never, in the sense you ask the question (I've used digital for paid gigs). But I don't carry this like a badge of honour. I have friends who do awfully good work with digital and I am mightily tempted. Then I ask if digital solves a particular problem I have with my existing setup and its intended purpose, and, mostly, it doesn't. Were I shooting more colour than I do, however, I'd have gone full throttle for it.

flickr
instagram

Old 10-14-2016   #20
Fjäll

I'm about to go all film. Just got my X100 and GR yet to be translated into a 50 summilux.

Old 10-14-2016   #21
maddoc
... likes film.

From 2003 to 2007, after I had moved to Japan. Coolpix5400, D70, D1x, Epson R-D1s. Then I bought a Leica and developed a roll of BW film after a hiatus of 23 years. Sold the D1x and Epson and never looked back.

flickr
pBase

Old 10-14-2016   #22
Mjd-djm

I've tried so many times. I really want the convenience of digital. Conversely it is the convenience of digital that makes it unfulfilling for me. Too easy to take 10 shots of the same thing to make sure you get 'the shot'. This inevitably means having to trawl through piles of crap in post processing. For me film is about making every shot count. If I have a photo on a roll that I don't want to edit then I'm massively disappointed.

Old 10-14-2016   #23
Michalm

1 S7000 fuji
2 Nikon d70s
3 Sony A200
4 Canon 6d
All above have been sold and I have never missed them but I do regret selling Minolta Xd7 and lenses , Will not make the same mistake with Bessa R2a
Still my best digital camera is Coolscan V

Old 10-14-2016   #24
maitani

digital:Nikons for assignments,

film: mostly leica-M and a bunch of lenses
6x7 for film, i also appreciate the automation of a Leica M7 and a 50 summicron nowdays more than ever.

Old 10-14-2016   #25
Michael Markey

I agree with Godfrey.

I just bought a digital camera ....not much trying involved.
I need a dslr with a telephoto for my sports shots.

I still shoot film but unlike the majority find the processing a PITA.
Always have since the `60`s , never took to darkroom work so for 30 years I used slide film .

Although I prefer film cameras and the film aesthetic in many ways .

At present I`m shooting film but for me you could almost stand the question on its head .

Old 10-14-2016   #26
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
Yep ... ...

Old 10-14-2016   #27
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjd-djm View Post
I've tried so many times. I really want the convenience of digital. Conversely it is the convenience of digital that makes it unfulfilling for me. Too easy to take 10 shots of the same thing to make sure you get 'the shot'. This inevitably means having to trawl through piles of crap in post processing. For me film is about making every shot count. If I have a photo on a roll that I don't want to edit then I'm massively disappointed.
This is all in your head though...

Old 10-14-2016   #28
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladimir View Post
This was my experience as well.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-14-2016   #29
Scapevision

Funny story. I started with digital. Always wanted to try film. Got a film camera and started shooting film. Sold digital, went 100% film. Recently tried to go back to digital for 35mm at least three times, once Canon 5D mkII, once Sony Rx100, other time Sony A7. Each lasted about a week before it got sold. Back to 100% film.

Old 10-14-2016   #30
Michael Markey

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjd-djm View Post
Conversely it is the convenience of digital that makes it unfulfilling for me. Too easy to take 10 shots of the same thing to make sure you get 'the shot'. This inevitably means having to trawl through piles of crap in post processing. For me film is about making every shot count. If I have a photo on a roll that I don't want to edit then I'm massively disappointed.

I don`t have to suffer to enjoy my photography and I take the same number of shots whether I`m using film or digital.

The only time the numbers come into it is when I`m out all day doing a "job" and I have to make sure I try and capture the hundred or so participants at a number of different locations.

If I did that on film it would cost a small fortune and take forever to process.

Its as much about what and why and how you`re shooting I guess.

Day to day stuff ,well it depends on how I feel as to whether I choose digital or film.

You can enjoy both

Old 10-14-2016   #31
Dogman

When the local photo shops started closing, when the papers I used regularly disappeared, when my preferred chemicals started being hard to locate easily, when Kodak started to fail, when I spent more time testing different papers, films and chemicals than actually taking pictures...it became apparent to me that I had best come to grips with digital or take up another creative outlet. It took me almost a year to eventually take a picture with a digital camera that I felt was equivalent to what I had done and could do with film. I don't recall how many times I tried to "go digital" during those months but I failed over and over again...until I succeeded.

Old 10-14-2016   #32
Bill Clark

For my business, digital is a blessing. I went 100% digital capture in 2004.

I'll mention a few reasons, mostly business, but there are many more. A vast improvement in productivity, lower costs, much greater customer satisfication while making the photographs, processing, providing instant results though not final while doing the gig and/or session to viewing the final product, much better quality photographs from a technical standpoint, fewer mistakes because of instant feedback, better equipment like moving from the analog darkroom to the desktop computer.

This gives you a few examples of why digital has pretty much taken over the photography market.

Old 10-14-2016   #33
TXForester

I use both. At this point in time, it is just a hobby, so I can use whatever I feel like. A Pentax 645 for medium format. Several film cameras for 35mm and digital for smaller or faster results. If film were cheaper I could see using film for almost everything.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken

Old 10-14-2016   #34
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I have never consciously attempted to switch, but I have purchased and tried to use several digitals.
None was satisfactory. Every one was too complicated in use, even my Fuji X100.
I sold the X100. The rest of my digitals were given away.
I am spoiled by my simple film cameras. I'll stick with them.

Chris

Old 10-14-2016   #35
zuiko85

Film! You pikers, wet plate is the only real photography!

(Disclaimer, for those who believe every word, that was in jest only)

Old 10-14-2016   #36
Bill Clark

Just to help Chris,

With my Canon DSLR I can and mostly do, run them in manual mode. By setting the dial to "M" I can use the f stop and shutter speed just like my film stuff. When I look into the viewfinder the light meter reading is on the bottom of the screen and I can dial in shutter and f stop until I get the correct reading. A nice feature is the ability to change ISO at any time.

Like some folks, I was scared of digital at first. Matter of fact before 2004 I started with digital by having a digital camera on one tripod and my main film camera on another. Once I switched, I never looked back until I retired and got back into film mostly for fun.

Truth be known though, I'm a nerd.

Old 10-14-2016   #37
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Digital comes and goes, but my Leica M4-2 with a Zeiss 50/2 makes me smile.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 10-14-2016   #38
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

I've turned to digital, film and digital again for ages and dozens of times. Now I'm sort of happy where I'm standing. Using digital mainly for light weight purposes. It's easy to carry and I get nice printed out negatives for alternative printing. Then when I decide I "want" to photograph, I bring either 4x5in or 18x24cm camera + lenses, or at times I stay with medium format cameras.

Lately I've started making bromoil prints again and it has brought out the desire to photograph more with 35mm cameras. So I either throw Olympus 35RC, Kiev 4a, Contax II, Nikon F5 or Nikon F2 in the bag when going out along with black and white film. I sort of hate the fact that I have so many cameras and systems, digital slr (mainly for work and portrait shoots), digital compact, tons of film cameras in various formats.. it's a hazzle. Then again I can't get "right" amount of money out of them, nor can I sell those with high sentimental value. Even though I know I would be much better served with single 35mm film camera, single 4x5 camera and single MF camera (and one 18x24cm). Problem is, I don't have the ones I would be happy with as compact system. Nor can I afford to purchase more cameras (and it wouldn't make any sense if I would love to sell some off). One example is my 4x5 camera. It's a nice Cambo Wide. Lovely piece which makes wonderful pictures. But I know my needs would be better served with light weight field camera and two lens set-up. But selling Cambo Wide is a tough challenge, they're not worth what they used to be, and I couldn't work as I do with out 4x5 camera in my backpack when hiking.

Same problem with digital + film set-ups. Too many cameras either with me (weighting me down) or not the right one in the back when needed. Like when I go hiking and decide to only pack light camera and wide angle lens. Then there's wonderful slight mist which would benefit from shooting with longer telephoto lens into it.. Or when I pack only medium format camera and then there's an image which I would love to Pt/Pd print from large format negative.

Perhaps I should just make a decision, sell everything and what doesn't sell, give it away. Then purchase single 8x10 with 300mm lens and be relatively happy and most of the time curse that I didn't bring it with me. Or try to get into better shape and carry that behemoth everywhere.

Sorry for long and uninformative post, if you read it I'm sort of sorry But answer to OPs question, many many times and not sure why..

Old 10-14-2016   #39
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Digital comes and goes, but my Leica M4-2 with a Zeiss 50/2 makes me smile.
I think this is the crux of most digital / film issues... even as a 100% (99.9%) digital user, the film cameras just feel better. Leica, the Nikon Df, Fuji, etc have done a good job of trying to capture the spirit of film cameras though.

Old 10-14-2016   #40
TXForester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
JMy Canon DSLR can and I mostly do, run them in manual mode. By setting the dial to "M" I can use the f stop and shutter speed just like my film stuff.
This is how I do it with the exception of sometimes using aperture priority with exposure compensation which amounts to the same thing.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage.” ― H.L. Mencken