Epson Perfection V550 ?
Old 09-26-2016   #1
Captain Kidd

Epson Perfection V550 ?

Trying to pick a scanner to buy, I know this question has been asked alot but I suppose each time its under different requirements.

Im looking for a scanner priced at €250-300, high resolution that allows me to print at a large size, and the option to scan negatives that include at least a tiny bit of the images frame from the negative, would I be right to think that the Epson Perfection V550 can do all this?

At the highest res, 6,400dpi (thats as high as it goes I think), how large could you print an image keeping great quality?

If there is any other scanner i should consider any advice would be greatly welcomed,

Thanks

Old 09-26-2016   #2
Captain Kidd

Is there much of a differenc ebetweeen the V550 and the V600? apart from the price that is.

Old 09-26-2016   #3
blacksquare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Kidd View Post
Trying to pick a scanner to buy, I know this question has been asked alot but I suppose each time its under different requirements.

Im looking for a scanner priced at €250-300, high resolution that allows me to print at a large size, and the option to scan negatives that include at least a tiny bit of the images frame from the negative, would I be right to think that the Epson Perfection V550 can do all this?

At the highest res, 6,400dpi (thats as high as it goes I think), how large could you print an image keeping great quality?

If there is any other scanner i should consider any advice would be greatly welcomed,

Thanks
No.

V550 (same HW as V600) is low-end flatbed scanner. Real resolution about 1500dpi.
For web presentation or small prints is OK, maily for 120.

Old 09-26-2016   #4
Captain Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksquare View Post
No.

V550 (same HW as V600) is low-end flatbed scanner. Real resolution about 1500dpi.
For web presentation or small prints is OK, maily for 120.
Great thanks for that, so the V600 is what i should be considering.

Old 09-26-2016   #5
bayernfan

get the V750 and don't look back. i've been very happy with mine.

Old 09-26-2016   #6
flavio81

Quote:
Great thanks for that, so the V600 is what i should be considering.
No.

None of these Epson scanners do better than about 1800dpi.
Even the top V850 won't go beyond about 2300dpi and moreover they all do fuzzy details at that definition.

Now, if you are trying to enlarge a 35mm frame to 10x15cm or even 15x20cm, all these scanners are just fine, they will give you what you want.

But if you want to go beyond or extract the whole information contained in the negative, you'll need to use a dedicated film scanner.

Old 09-26-2016   #7
Captain Kidd

Really, only 15 x 20 would be the largest I could print? Are the dedicated negative scanners in an altogether different price range ie. Hugely expensive?

Old 09-26-2016   #8
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

I much prefer the Plustek
7200i, 8100, 8200i

Compact, Ease of use, just unpack p,ug in and you are there, Inexpensive
Great 35mm scans

Old 09-26-2016   #9
Jhausler

v550 looks good for medium format, but it's fuzzy with 35mm.

Old 09-26-2016   #10
Captain Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
I much prefer the Plustek
7200i, 8100, 8200i

Compact, Ease of use, just unpack p,ug in and you are there, Inexpensive
Great 35mm scans
And would much of the picture be cropped? Part of the reason I'm looking to buy a scanner is because every commercial photo shop seems to crop quite a bit when scanning.

Old 09-26-2016   #11
emraphoto

get the 550 and invest in the betterscanning anr glass inserts. fine tune the carrier height and it will make a significant improvement.

Old 09-26-2016   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Loyal v550 user here.
It doesn't have 6400 dpi, 1800 maximum. I didn't tried all of the settings, but in auto preview mode it will crop just little bit. On manual preview it is up to you what to select. Standard holder has no frame dividers and sometimes you could scan not only sides, but little bit of top and the bottom of the negative frame, but not film sprockets.
I would not depend on v550 for it.
Largest print I have from it is 11x14 and it isn't dramatically sharp.

Old 09-26-2016   #13
Captain Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperture64 View Post
You can definitely print larger.
with the epson how large can you print at a goog quality, above Flávio mentions 15x20cm, that seems very small to me, maybe flavio meant inches. Helen mentioned a dedicated negative scanner like a plustek, any thoughts on these compared to the epsons? Thanks everyone

Old 09-26-2016   #14
JP Owens

I've had good success scanning 35mm with the V550, but I have the Better Scanning film holders for it. For 8x10's, it works pretty well.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 09-26-2016   #15
Captain Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Loyal v550 user here.
It doesn't have 6400 dpi, 1800 maximum. I didn't tried all of the settings, but in auto preview mode it will crop just little bit. On manual preview it is up to you what to select. Standard holder has no frame dividers and sometimes you could scan not only sides, but little bit of top and the bottom of the negative frame, but not film sprockets.
I would not depend on v550 for it.
Largest print I have from it is 11x14 and it isn't dramatically sharp.
Thanks Ko, no I don't want to scan sprockets but just a tiny bit of the picture frame, when you mention 11x14 above, is that centimeters or inches? Thanks

Old 09-26-2016   #16
Captain Kidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by emraphoto View Post
get the 550 and invest in the betterscanning anr glass inserts. fine tune the carrier height and it will make a significant improvement.
Thanks though m a little unsure of how to fine tune carrier height, I'll look in to it.

Old 09-26-2016   #17
Swift1

I would look for a Epson V700 or V750.
Good results can be obtained from a flatbed and 35mm.

This was scanned on my 7 year old V500. Top is full frame, bottom is 100% crop of 2400dpi scan.

If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk. The Ugly
My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-26-2016   #18
Captain Kidd

Thanks swift, and what kind of size can you print at? I'm won't be printing huge but would like to print 30cm wide or thereabouts.

Old 09-26-2016   #19
Swift1

Quote:
Thanks swift, and what kind of size can you print at? I'm won't be printing huge but would like to print 30cm wide or thereabouts.
I have printed (from the V500) up to 8x12 inches (20x30 cm) with good results.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-26-2016   #20
Captain Kidd

That's great, thanks swift1, I'm thinking the v600 is just about my price range, I'm leaning towards that, unless dedicated film scanners are better? God it's confusing.

Old 09-26-2016   #21
Pioneer

I use a V500 for my medium format work and a Plustek 7600i for my 35mm. I use the Better Scanning AN glass inserts for the Epson Holder on 35mm and the full, focusing negative holder with AN glass for medium format.

Bottom line is that I get better 35mm scans from my Plustek 7600i. It is my understanding that you can get better 35mm results from the inexpensive Epson flatbeds by using wet scanning, but that looks even slower than my Plustek dedicated 35mm scanner, and that is slow enough.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 09-26-2016   #22
Swift1

Quote:
That's great, thanks swift1, I'm thinking the v600 is just about my price range, I'm leaning towards that, unless dedicated film scanners are better? God it's confusing.
A dedicated scanner will output better resolution. The downside is that you're restricted to only 24x36 frame (you can scan panoramic film in multiple passes then stitch), and you're stuck with (IMO) frustrating and overly complicated software. Also, I find flatbeds are generally faster, especially if you're scanning an entire roll.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-26-2016   #23
michaelwj
----------------

I wouldn't worry about the amount that is cropped, it is so tiny with the Plustek scanners. If it bothered you you could file out the holder a little.

As for resolution, for the same price you'll get better resolution from a smaller scanner; the resolution (actual not quoted) is limited by the motor movements, and when there is less range to scan it can be don more accurately. On the other hand, your ability to print big will largely be limited by what you're willing to tolerate and by the quality of your negative.
1800dpi is a final scan with 1800 x 2700, that's 5MP. You can print an A4 print from a 5MP camera no problems.

It's a tough choice, but you've just got to jump and not look back!

Old 09-26-2016   #24
Swift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
your ability to print big will largely be limited by what you're willing to tolerate and by the quality of your negative.
Couldn't agree more... especially about the negative.

My Flickr
My Website

Old 09-26-2016   #25
Captain Kidd

Thanks everyone, what dedicated negative scanners would you recommend that are around the 200-300 euro range. To be honest I justuse 35mm film. I'm beginning to lean towards the v550, if I'm ever going to print particularly large I can get the negative scanned at a photo club.

Old 09-27-2016   #26
Captain Kidd

Has anyone experience using Plustek on a Mac?

Old 09-27-2016   #27
michaelwj
----------------

I use a Plustek with a Mac and Vuescan. Works perfectly.

Old 09-27-2016   #28
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Quote:
And would much of the picture be cropped? Part of the reason I'm looking to buy a scanner is because every commercial photo shop seems to crop quite a bit when scanning.
There is no crop, all there
On a Mac... Run the silverfasr CD... Put in your serial #...
Thats it, Your ready to go... that EASY !

I Love Plustek !

Old 09-27-2016   #29
Captain Kidd

Thanks michaelwj and Helenhill, i like the size of the plustek, im thinking of the 8100 model, its within my budget, just about.

Generally with these scanners, do you have to spend alot of time figuring out the correct settings, if there are any good turorials that you know of do let me know. Thanks again everyone.

Old 09-27-2016   #30
flavio81

Quote:
with the epson how large can you print at a goog quality, above Flávio mentions 15x20cm, that seems very small to me, maybe flavio meant inches. Helen mentioned a dedicated negative scanner like a plustek, any thoughts on these compared to the epsons? Thanks everyone
Hi Capitan Kidd,

Above a V550 user mentioned you can get "1800dpi max" from that scanner, which is a credible figure.

Since the professional standard for digital prints is 300dpi, that means that you can make a 6x enlargement of perfect quality.

For a 24x36mm frame, 6x equals 14.4 x 21.6 cm, consistent with the "15x20cm" figure i gave earlier.

Of course this means you can also do a 20x25 enlargment and still find it acceptable. But it will be inferior to what you could get with a dedicated film scanner or an enlarger.

The plustek dedicated scanners, or any film dedicated scanner, is on an above league regarding image quality; go for them if you can afford them!

Old 09-27-2016   #31
Prest_400
Multiformat

I have a V550 and use it to scan 6x9 MF. 35mm, yes it does; I tried... But it is a bit too little too late -scant resolution for the effort- and have found that for the not much 35mm I shoot (colour), I'll just have it lab processed and scanned.

For MF it is quite nice and gets decent results, printed up to 12x18". Still, there is a bit of loss looking rather closely. But, it is a 200€ scanner and alright for the use. I can imagine the usefulness of Betterscanning ANR holders in there... Fujichrome likes to curl concave and unflatness brings quite a loss of resolution.

Another member suggested the Primefilm XA in the Pakon thread. Still, the Plusteks seem quite a solid proposal.

Old 09-27-2016   #32
ColSebastianMoran

I've measured resolution with my V500... Interestingly, I get near 2000 ppi for lines running parallel to the scan track, but only 1270 ppi for lines running perpendicular.

In practical use, I like a good sharp print, one you can bring right up to your nose. I'm happy with 12x18" prints from 6x9 negatives. This is 6x or maybe 8x the linear dimension of the film. Therefore, I would only be happy with prints of 8x10 from 35mm film using this scanner.

The V500, 600, and probably 550 are in the same league. The V750 is somewhat better.

For larger prints from 35mm, you want a dedicated film scanner, or send your good negatives to Precision (sponsor here) or North Coast Photographic Services (San Diego).

Hope this helps. For much more on this and sample files, see my postings in this thread.

In Classifieds Now: Nikon DX Fisheye, photos in this Flickr album.
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 09-27-2016   #33
Captain Kidd

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help and thank you colsebastianmoran for that link, much appreciated

Old 09-27-2016   #34
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Thanks michaelwj and Helenhill, i like the size of the plustek, im thinking of the 8100 model, its within my budget, just about.

Generally with these scanners, do you have to spend alot of time figuring out the correct settings, if there are any good turorials that you know of do let me know. Thanks again everyone.
I use Vuescan, and pretty much follow Chris Crawfords method. He has a sticky in the film forum I believe with links to his website. I use the 8100.

Old 09-28-2016   #35
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
I use Vuescan, and pretty much follow Chris Crawfords method. He has a sticky in the film forum I believe with links to his website. I use the 8100.

Michael, thanks for the recommendation. Here's my tutorials website:

http://crawfordphotoschool.com

Here's the film scanning page:

http://crawfordphotoschool.com/digital/scanning.php

Old 09-28-2016   #36
Captain Kidd

Thanks for that, and thanks Chris for the tutorials, it looks like Silverfast 8 is bundled with the Plustek, im going to post a related question to that now in the in this forum relating to similar tutorials that people might recommend, from what im reading Silverfast seems in need of some good ones.

Thanks

Old 09-28-2016   #37
Pioneer

I do prefer to use Epson Scan as it is much more intuitive for me, but I also use Silverfast 8 as well.

I downloaded a trial version of Vuescan a while back but did not spend enough time with it to actually decide whether or not I like it. I ended up staying with the programs I already knew and understood.

I will review some of Chris's tutorials just to see if I am getting the best out of Silverfast but once you get used to it you will be able to get good scans.

I think that is true for any software. Once you become comfortable with it you tend to stick with it. My wife uses the Paintshop Pro products since she has used it since it was a Corel product. I use Adobe Photoshop since I had to learn it for my forensic photography work.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 09-28-2016   #38
papo

Question: what scanner would you recommend for both, 35 and MF?

Old 09-28-2016   #39
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papo View Post
Question: what scanner would you recommend for both, 35 and MF?
Depends on the budget and desired output.

Old 09-28-2016   #40
benlees

Also keep in mind the versatility of a decent flatbed. Can scan 4x5 with holders, as well as prints, instant film, documents, etc. Doesn't give the quality of a dedicated, but much cheaper and much more "useful". Always trade-offs!