Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What would you take
Leica M6 TTL Millennium 35 Summicon and 90 Tele-Elmarit 48 57.83%
Leica M2 Voigtlander 21/4 and 50/2.5 20 24.10%
Kodak Retina IIc 4 4.82%
iPhone 23 27.71%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

30 year aniversary!!! and you are thinking in a camera!!!!
Old 08-16-2016   #41
pepeguitarra

30 year aniversary!!! and you are thinking in a camera!!!!

My wife will kill me if I use anything other than point and shoot. I would recommend the Olympus Pen EED (half frame). One 36 frame roll will give you 72 very sharp and neat images that you can enlarge to 10x14. That was the first automatic camera. You set it up in 3m, input the ISO, and the camera will do everything for you. Of course, you could buy the Olympus Pen (just like that, no S, no EE, no D), first one made. That will produce even better pictures, you just guess the speed and set the aperture, pure Sunny 16. Both of them fit in the shirt pocket.

In my first tour to England (15 days) traveling within, I carried my Canon 5DII, the 24-105mm lens, the Sigma 35/1.4, and the 180mm f3.5 macro, total weight: about a ton. I came back with back pain. At the cathedrals, I saw people with a smaller camera with no flash, no tripod, etc., yes, Leicas M6, M3, M2, etc. That is when I decided to dump canon for Leica, and here I am.

Old 08-16-2016   #42
ktmrider

I voted earlier for the M6 and 35/90. I am sticking with the idea of an M body and two lenses although it could be different focal lengths like 21/50 or 28/75 etc. Since you appear to have both a 35 and 90, I would go with those two as I travel with the same combo unless I am lazy and then only carry the 50.

Why own an interchangeable lens camera and only carry one lens? The more I travel and photograph, the more I find that I leave the extreme focal lengths at home. The classic photojournalist focal lengths of 35/50/90 work for me and my favorite Leica film body, the M2.

Old 08-16-2016   #43
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepeguitarra View Post
My wife will kill me if I use anything other than point and shoot. . . .
And you're still married? How? Frances and I have been together 35 years and we still discuss what sort of cameras to take.

I'd probably kill myself if I were forced to use a point-and-shoot. Or (rather easier) just not go.

Photography is more important to some people than others. Yes, my wife is more important to me than photography, but part of the reason for that is that she understands how important photography is to me.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-16-2016   #44
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

If your wife is very supportive of your photography bring one of your Leica outfits.

If not and as you imply this trip is very much about your anniversary something smaller and less obtrusive might be a better choice.

When I travel I usually opt for an excellent truly pocketable film camera, mostly for convenience.

Chris

Old 08-16-2016   #45
pepeguitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
And you're still married? How? Frances and I have been together 35 years and we still discuss what sort of cameras to take.

I'd probably kill myself if I were forced to use a point-and-shoot. Or (rather easier) just not go.

Photography is more important to some people than others. Yes, my wife is more important to me than photography, but part of the reason for that is that she understands how important photography is to me.

Cheers,

R.
Roger, Frances is a photographer, you are in Heaven!!

To buy my M9, I had to buy the wedding ring that I promised and never bought after 35 years.

Old 08-16-2016   #46
pepeguitarra

My llast vacation a year ago locally in California, I took: M9 + Summicon 35/2 + Summircon 50/2 collapsible+ Tele-Elmarit-M 90/2.8. A very small set up.

Last month, I took my M5 + Summicron 50/2 (v)+ Color Skopar 35/2.5. I wanted to use the modern lenses on the M5. Looks like the M5 is with me at all times nowdays.

Old 08-16-2016   #47
zuiko85

Not a big fan of 35mm RF but if I had to pick then the dead simple nature, the minimal nature of the M2 appeals to me. I've always been drawn to meterless cameras with the most basic controls. Shutter speed/aperture/focus......advance/rewind/viewing/focusing. Like I said, minimal.

Old 08-21-2016   #48
Dirk
Privatier

Enjoy your trip, celebrate your relationship and take the occasional pic. If photography is secondary (or tertiary) to these above priorities, take the iPhone and focus on living.

Old 08-21-2016   #49
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Way back in 2004 when I was a mere pup of 50, my wife and I spent three weeks traveling in Europe. We landed in Frankfurt and using the trains, carry on luggage, plus a lot of walking we made our way through parts of Amsterdam, Brugges, Paris, Arles and finished up in London. On that trip my camera of choice was an Olympus Stylus 105 Zoom (Mju to most of the world) and I had my film processed at numerous one hour places. Part of my thought process was, dad always told me it's the photographer not the camera, if something happened to it I wasn't out much money, it did what I needed and it fit in a pocket. Fast forward to spring of 2017. To celebrate our thirtieth wedding anniversary we are planning another trip but this time spending more time in Paris and exploring more sites around the city. I would like to travel light and avoid lugging a camera bag around with me but I would like to have something to document our trip. Coming home with some nice images would be a bonus but mostly I just would like to enjoy the experience. So my question to the world is what camera should I take?
If you want to enjoy the experience, take the M6 and the 35mm and 90mm lenses. I would recommend that you give serious thought to taking a 50/2 Summicron, too. You can find a clean used 50 'cron for around $1000 USD if you shop judiciously, so it won't break the bank.

A vest like the Domke photographer's vest will carry your kit - the 90mm in one pocket, the 50mm in another pocket, film in another pocket and the M6 and the 35mm lens on a strap around your neck and you are done. No bulky camera bag to drag around!

The one critical thing that I would recommend is this: Do NOT let a one hour processor develop your film!

Bring your film home undeveloped and get it developed properly by a professional lab. Better still, develop it yourself at home - it's not difficult to do and if you just follow the film and chemistry maker's directions, you will do as good a job as a pro lab can.

Old 08-21-2016   #50
madNbad

[quote=noisycheese;2641791]If you want to enjoy the experience, take the M6 and the 35mm and 90mm lenses. I would recommend that you give serious thought to taking a 50/2 Summicron, too. You can find a clean used 50 'cron for around $1000 USD if you shop judiciously, so it won't break the bank.

I have appreciated all of the answers so far. I have a 50 Summicron V5 and have debated about taking just it and the M6. To complicate matters, I have recently added a Nikkormat FT2 and swapped out the 50 2.0 for a 50 1.4 SC which, although bigger than the rangefinders, would be just fine to carry around. Adding to the slr kit is a Nikkor 28 3.5 for the narrow spaces. We still have several months before departing and are still working on itinerary but keep the answers coming in and thanks for all the advice. MAD

Old 08-21-2016   #51
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycheese View Post
A vest like the Domke photographer's vest will carry your kit - the 90mm in one pocket, the 50mm in another pocket, film in another pocket and the M6 and the 35mm lens on a strap around your neck and you are done. No bulky camera bag to drag around!
A vest seems like a bit a of a fashion faux pas for the city.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 08-22-2016   #52
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
A vest seems like a bit a of a fashion faux pas for the city.

It is a well-known fact that when purchased unless otherwise specified these come with "DICK" embroidered on the chest...

Chris

Old 08-22-2016   #53
Merkin
For the Weekend

If the iPhone is your only digital camera, take it. International travel with a bunch of film is an absolute nightmare anymore. The last time I did it, every single roll and canister had to get explosives swabbed separately, as well as the lead lined bag and everything else I was carrying for good measure. Never again.

Also, no matter how supportive your wife is of your photography, this isn't a photo expedition, it is an anniversary trip. It's a time for selfies and happy snaps and images to show friends on facebook more than it is for making art. Concentrate on your wife and what would make her happy FIRST, and if there is room for photography afterward, you'll be able to at least get the shot with a reasonably current iPhone.

Old 08-22-2016   #54
Dirk
Privatier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
If the iPhone is your only digital camera, take it. International travel with a bunch of film is an absolute nightmare anymore. The last time I did it, every single roll and canister had to get explosives swabbed separately, as well as the lead lined bag and everything else I was carrying for good measure. Never again.

Also, no matter how supportive your wife is of your photography, this isn't a photo expedition, it is an anniversary trip. It's a time for selfies and happy snaps and images to show friends on facebook more than it is for making art. Concentrate on your wife and what would make her happy FIRST, and if there is room for photography afterward, you'll be able to at least get the shot with a reasonably current iPhone.
Heed the voice of wisdom!

Old 08-22-2016   #55
FrozenInTime

Quote:
International travel with a bunch of film is an absolute nightmare anymore. The last time I did it, every single roll and canister had to get explosives swabbed separately, as well as the lead lined bag and everything else I was carrying for good measure. Never again.
I've never had an issue with X-Ray damage to any film even after its been through a dozen airport carry on scanners; so I don't see the need for the hassle caused by requesting special inspection.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 08-22-2016   #56
dwojr

Could you possibly buy a small digital point and shoot? There are loads of good ones available. I would be slightly nervous carrying several thousand dollars worth of Leica gear on vacation. My rule is never take anything on a trip that you aren't prepared to possibly lose.

Old 08-22-2016   #57
leicapixie

The phone and a compact point and shoot digital, that uses AA cells.
A few memory cards.
Enjoy the trip.

Old 08-22-2016   #58
mdwsta4
Matty Westside

Can't say I've had that happen to me ever regardless if traveling around the US or internationally to Asia, Europe, South America, or Australia.

Quote:

Leica MP
Hasselblad 500 CM
Fujifilm TX-1

Fujifilm X100F
Fujifilm X-Pro 2

Old 08-22-2016   #59
presspass
filmshooter

The M6, 35 Chron and 90 TE. You could add the 15 Voightlander and have the Head Bartender's original Leica walkaround kit. The LTM 15 with an adapter would fit back to back on the 90 using one of Leica's double mounts [don't know the right terminology - the grey plastic thing that looks like two open rear lens caps]. The 15 would give you the wide you might need in a European city without a lot of bulk or cost.

Old 08-22-2016   #60
Spanik

Quote:
It's a time for selfies and happy snaps and images to show friends on facebook more than it is for making art.
If my wife insisted on selfies and facebook I'd get another wife pronto.

Maybe that's why I don't have a wife....

Seriously, If you go on a trip you both have to enjoy it, that may involve compromises. but not to the point where you regret taking the trip.

So yes, my typical trip gear is a medium format body and 4 lenses + extras. If going light I leave the extras at home, but at least that goes along.

Old 08-22-2016   #61
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanik View Post
If my wife insisted on selfies and facebook I'd get another wife pronto.

Maybe that's why I don't have a wife....

Seriously, If you go on a trip you both have to enjoy it, that may involve compromises. but not to the point where you regret taking the trip.

So yes, my typical trip gear is a medium format body and 4 lenses + extras. If going light I leave the extras at home, but at least that goes along.
And it's why I do...

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #62
nongfuspring

Quote:
t's a time for selfies and happy snaps and images to show friends on facebook more than it is for making art. Concentrate on your wife and what would make her happy FIRST, and if there is room for photography afterward, you'll be able to at least get the shot with a reasonably current iPhone.
I think I just threw up a little bit

Old 08-24-2016   #63
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwojr View Post
I would be slightly nervous carrying several thousand dollars worth of Leica gear on vacation. My rule is never take anything on a trip that you aren't prepared to possibly lose.
I always take my health and life, and I am somewhat hesitant losing either. Money is just money. It's not easy to replace lost equipment for all of us, but at least it is possible. Insurance surely helps. For me, it's not much fun owning equipment that isn't used.

Old 08-24-2016   #64
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lss View Post
I always take my health and life, and I am somewhat hesitant losing either. Money is just money. It's not easy to replace lost equipment for all of us, but at least it is possible. Insurance surely helps. For me, it's not much fun owning equipment that isn't used.
Exactly. If you can't afford to take the risks inherent in using it, then you can't actually afford to buy it.

Could I replace my (uninsured) M9 tomorrow? No. Can I afford not to use it? No. If I can't use it, why am I wasting my time owning it?

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #65
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Could you possibly buy a small digital point and shoot? There are loads of good ones available. I would be slightly nervous carrying several thousand dollars worth of Leica gear on vacation. My rule is never take anything on a trip that you aren't prepared to possibly lose.
HCB traveled to USA, India, China and USSR, I can't recall him losing his Leica cameras. OP is going to Europe not Libya. Chance to lose is same as on local trip near home.

OP's M2 with Voigtlander lens isn't something which is hugely expensive. And OP's Nikon SLR is way cheaper comparing to really good digital P&S (if any actually exists under cheap price).

I'm facing same dilemma and been looking for small digital compact for couple of weeks now. "Small digital point and shoot" cameras are the same load of crap as they were years ago. More pixels added into specifications, but on real world pictures it is gobble of noise, no pixels, but pixelation.
The only digital compact which doesn't have total crap in IQ I was able to find so far is Panasonic LX100, but the price of it even used is not cheap to be able to lose and forget about it.

Old 08-24-2016   #66
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
HCB traveled to USA, India, China and USSR, I can't recall him losing his Leica cameras. OP is going to Europe not Libya. Chance to lose is same as on local trip near home.

OP's M2 with Voigtlander lens isn't something which is hugely expensive. And OP's Nikon SLR is way cheaper comparing to really good digital P&S (if any actually exists under cheap price).

I'm facing same dilemma and been looking for small digital compact for couple of weeks now. "Small digital point and shoot" cameras are the same load of crap as they were years ago. More pixels added into specifications, but on real world pictures it is gobble of noise, no pixels, but pixelation.
The only digital compact which doesn't have total crap in IQ I was able to find so far is Panasonic LX100, but the price of it even used is not cheap to be able to lose and forget about it.
It is a different world today than in HCB's time in so many ways. For OP's purposes of traveling with wife to Europe I still think a small camera would be more appropriate. But if you are looking to get the highest quality pics then obviously it is not ideal.

When I took my family to Europe this past summer I took a Fuji X30. Quality was decent but certainly not the best by any means. But it made for easy hiking and a more enjoyable trip then the last time when I took multiple cameras and lenses.

Of course you could invest in one of the FF compacts from Sony or Leica.

Old 08-24-2016   #67
Roger Hicks

Quote:
. ... But if you are looking to get the highest quality pics then obviously it is not ideal. . . .
More like "completely worthless" in many situations, if you want anything more than happy snaps.

My wife knows I love her. The best way I can demonstrate this photographically is by developing her films for her... (I asked her to marry me almost exactly 35 years ago in August 2001).

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-24-2016   #68
dwojr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
More like "completely worthless" in many situations, if you want anything more than happy snaps.

My wife knows I love her. The best way I can demonstrate this photographically is by developing her films for her... (I asked her to marry me almost exactly 35 years ago in August 2001).

Cheers,

R.
What is wrong with happy snaps on a family vacation? I printed 100 of my favorite pics and am perfectly happy with my snaps and more happy with my memories.

Here is a link to my happy snaps:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskH1nRvJ

I'm sure I will be thoroughly shredded over them.

Old 08-24-2016   #69
MikeMGB

Quote:
What is wrong with happy snaps on a family vacation? I printed 100 of my favorite pics and am perfectly happy with my snaps and more happy with my memories.

Here is a link to my happy snaps:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskH1nRvJ

I'm sure I will be thoroughly shredded over them.
I couldn't agree more, I took my wife and daughter to Europe at the beginning of the year, we were traveling light so all I took was a 7 year old Leica C-Lux 2. We were all perfectly contented with my Happy Snaps.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/L1060563.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/L1060489.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/L1060816.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/q...3ae5ef581f.jpg

Old 08-24-2016   #70
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
It is a different world today than in HCB's time in so many ways. For OP's purposes of traveling with wife to Europe I still think a small camera would be more appropriate. But if you are looking to get the highest quality pics then obviously it is not ideal.

When I took my family to Europe this past summer I took a Fuji X30. Quality was decent but certainly not the best by any means. But it made for easy hiking and a more enjoyable trip then the last time when I took multiple cameras and lenses.

Of course you could invest in one of the FF compacts from Sony or Leica.
x30 doesn't looks like "small digital point and shoot":
X30 is 118.7mm x 71.6mm x 60.3mm.
M2 is 138 mm x 77 mm x 33.5mm (+another 30mm for lens).

At one trip HCB was hunting at nights to have some money and at the end he was seriously ill, but camera made it back with him to Europe. Some of my relatives are living now near Brussel and travel across Europe with kids regularly. They aren't scared to take some pictures.

I think, it comes to two choices some of us have to make.
Choice one. Take convenient digital camera you are OK with and not afraid to lose. For some it is x30 and Leica digital compacts.
Choice two. Take camera you like to use and like outcome from this camera. For some it is film cameras.

Over years I went through all of these stages.
Took no camera. And now it sucks to have no pictures.
Took film PS (it was no digital). Great to have just few pictures from almost each of many trips.
Took film SLR. No difference from cheap PS.
Took mobile phone. Tons of crappy 2MP pictures, somewhere, can't find.
Took similar to x30 in size digital FujiFilm camera. So-so 5MP pictures.
Took 12-16 MP DSLR. Technically best pictures I ever took.
And now for couple of years I'm taking one Leica M film camera and mobile phone.

I admit, the film Leica M is the real problem! It is not going to take pictures in bang-bang-bang mode. It is not going to give picture which wife is going to like most of the time. But it is the only camera I like to take pictures with to have pictures I never have taken before. And location is irrelevant. Anywhere we go, family is waiting for me often, while I'm taking something like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kf095/...in/dateposted/

Usual conflict of interests to me and maybe for OP as well. Take pictures I want or take pictures family needs. This is why it is important to have wife interested in taking pictures with digital camera she has approved.

Old 08-24-2016   #71
Roger Hicks

Quote:
What is wrong with happy snaps on a family vacation? . . . .
Nothing, if that's all you want to shoot.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-27-2016   #72
Cyriljay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
I would take either Leica body, the 21mm, the 35mm, and the 50mm. If limiting to two lenses, I would leave the 50mm home. This is because the narrow streets in France call for the use of wide lenses. Ideally, I would use a 24 or 25mm rather than the 21, as I find them to be rather more versatile than a 21 in Paris. A great combo is 24/35/50. That is what I use in France. Yes, there are shots to be had with the 90, but again, the wides will be more important. Bon Voyage!
Why use a wide lens in Paris? Any special reasons ? In London or New York it is the same eye anywhere . I don't suggest any angle but the usual comfortable angle used to see any particular Photography then I am going to use that lens . I do it that way .