Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .

Arles 2016 Review
Old 07-27-2016   #1
Roger Hicks

Arles 2016 Review

If you are passionate about photography, the only reasons not to go to the Rencontres in Arles are because you can't find the time or the money. Or possibly because you live in New York, London or Paris and can't imagine that anywhere else exists. Every year, I see more exhibitions, and meet more photographers, in Arles than I do across the whole of the rest of the year. Here is part 1 of a review of the 2016 Rencontres: http://rogerandfrances.eu/photography/arles-2016

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #2
dwojr

Great review. Never heard of this festival so now I have yet another reason to visit France.

Old 07-27-2016   #3
daveleo
what?

Nice article, Roger. Thanks.
Will wait for Part 2.

Old 07-27-2016   #4
mcfingon
Western Australia

I enjoyed the article Roger. I've not been to Arles, but have been close on two previous visits to France. I think it will have to be on the list for next time. I enjoyed all the M9/35 Summilux pictures, and hadn't seen before that Van Gogh's first name made a joke in French when split by a gate: Wine /one hundred There was some trouble getting the link to work in my web browser, maybe because there isn't an extension on your file name "arles-2016". I know that is perfectly valid, but maybe some browsers could trip over the lack of .htm or .html.

Old 07-27-2016   #5
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
I enjoyed the article Roger. I've not been to Arles, but have been close on two previous visits to France. I think it will have to be on the list for next time. I enjoyed all the M9/35 Summilux pictures, and hadn't seen before that Van Gogh's first name made a joke in French when split by a gate: Wine /one hundred There was some trouble getting the link to work in my web browser, maybe because there isn't an extension on your file name "arles-2016". I know that is perfectly valid, but maybe some browsers could trip over the lack of .htm or .html.
Thanks. Look forward to seeing you there in 2017! The Rencontres are normally the first full week in July.

Sorry about the browser thing but I don't know enough about computers to remedy the problem.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #6
Georgeboosh

The photo of the skip with the Peacock's head that appears in Roger's review is by Matt Stuart, a London-based street photographer.

Old 07-27-2016   #7
mcfingon
Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Thanks. Look forward to seeing you there in 2017! The Rencontres are normally the first full week in July.

Sorry about the browser thing but I don't know enough about computers to remedy the problem.

Cheers,

R.
I'll do my best to be there! Wetzlar would be a good place to visit afterwards too! The web link worked fine on my phone, and other people seem to be getting there with no problems, so it must have been an isolated glitch.

Old 07-27-2016   #8
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeboosh View Post
The photo of the skip with the Peacock's head that appears in Roger's review is by Matt Stuart, a London-based street photographer.
Thanks. Couldn't read my own notes! I'll amend the text ASAP.

UPDATE: Done. Thanks again.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #9
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
Rencontres d'Arles has developed into an important fair, with participation numbers almost at the level of ARCO in Madrid, and matching Frieze London/NYC and Art Basel numbers.

My favorite for photography remains the Venice Biennale, but it is possible to do both, which I might try next year.
Are the others as specifically photographic?

Insh'Allah might see you in Arles, then.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #10
giganova

Quote:
If you are passionate about photography, the only reasons not to go to the Rencontres in Arles are because you can't find the time or the money.
There might a million other reasons ... but I enjoyed reading your review!

Old 07-27-2016   #11
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
There might a million other reasons ... but I enjoyed reading your review!
Name (say) 10: I'll let you off the full million.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #12
giganova

Quote:
Name (say) 10: I'll let you off the full million.
Roger —

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic festival and I’d love to attend it next time. However, your first sentence made it sound like you are questioning how serious people are about their photography if they don’t attend this festival.

Old 07-27-2016   #13
giganova

Roger -- for those of us who are not attending, is it worth getting the catalog?

Old 07-27-2016   #14
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Roger —

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic festival and I’d love to attend it next time. However, your first sentence made it sound like you are questioning how serious people are about their photography if they don’t attend this festival.
Not really. The same applies to a number of festivals. The reason I don't go to more of them is lack of time or money or both... This one I can afford to get to, so I do.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #15
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Roger -- for those of us who are not attending, is it worth getting the catalog?
No. At least, I don't think so: I never have. The catalogue is very expensive and covers only the main Rencontres exhibitions, while the best and most interesting stuff is often in Voies Off or ad hoc.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #16
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
. . . Arles looks like great fun on so many levels. . . .
It is. And the magic word is Rencontres, meetings.

Cheers,

R.

Old 07-27-2016   #17
Highway 61
Revisited

For the first time in years I couldn't attend the Rencontres in 2016.

I would like to read a synthetic and comprehensive review about this second event directed by Sam Stourdzé* as well as a precise description of how the Luma fundation is taking things over.

What happens in the streets and on the squares at night as well as in the cafés and restaurants of any kind during the Rencontres isn't something new. Ditto for all the vernissages and librairies éphémères (temporary bookshops).

*Sam Stourdzé, formerly curator of the Musée de l'Elysée in Lausanne (Switzerland) is the new boss of the Rencontres since 2015, and kinda wants them to depart from what they have been until his arrival.

Old 07-28-2016   #18
robert blu
quiet photographer

An excellent review, and I like that Place Voltaire !
One more reason to go to Arles is the possibility to meet Roger and Frances! They are both great photographers and friendly interesting people to spend some time with!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 08-17-2016   #19
Highway 61
Revisited

In French but extremely clear and easy to read, a great Arles 2016 review here :

http://sbooi.fr/blog/archives/5091