Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks -- Author of The Rangefinder Book

Roger Hicks is a well known photographic writer, author of The Rangefinder Book, over three dozen other photographic books, and a frequent contributor to Shutterbug and Amateur Photographer. Unusually in today's photographic world, most of his camera reviews are film cameras, especially rangefinders. See www.rogerandfrances.com for further background (Frances is his wife Frances Schultz, acknowledged darkroom addict and fellow Shutterbug contributor) .


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Arles 2016 Review
Old 07-27-2016   #1
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Arles 2016 Review

If you are passionate about photography, the only reasons not to go to the Rencontres in Arles are because you can't find the time or the money. Or possibly because you live in New York, London or Paris and can't imagine that anywhere else exists. Every year, I see more exhibitions, and meet more photographers, in Arles than I do across the whole of the rest of the year. Here is part 1 of a review of the 2016 Rencontres: http://rogerandfrances.eu/photography/arles-2016

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #2
dwojr
Registered User
 
dwojr is offline
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 183
Great review. Never heard of this festival so now I have yet another reason to visit France.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #3
daveleo
what?
 
daveleo's Avatar
 
daveleo is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: People's Republic of Mass.
Posts: 3,686
Nice article, Roger. Thanks.
Will wait for Part 2.
__________________
Dave

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #4
mcfingon
Western Australia
 
mcfingon is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,081
I enjoyed the article Roger. I've not been to Arles, but have been close on two previous visits to France. I think it will have to be on the list for next time. I enjoyed all the M9/35 Summilux pictures, and hadn't seen before that Van Gogh's first name made a joke in French when split by a gate: Wine /one hundred There was some trouble getting the link to work in my web browser, maybe because there isn't an extension on your file name "arles-2016". I know that is perfectly valid, but maybe some browsers could trip over the lack of .htm or .html.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #5
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
I enjoyed the article Roger. I've not been to Arles, but have been close on two previous visits to France. I think it will have to be on the list for next time. I enjoyed all the M9/35 Summilux pictures, and hadn't seen before that Van Gogh's first name made a joke in French when split by a gate: Wine /one hundred There was some trouble getting the link to work in my web browser, maybe because there isn't an extension on your file name "arles-2016". I know that is perfectly valid, but maybe some browsers could trip over the lack of .htm or .html.
Thanks. Look forward to seeing you there in 2017! The Rencontres are normally the first full week in July.

Sorry about the browser thing but I don't know enough about computers to remedy the problem.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #6
Georgeboosh
Registered User
 
Georgeboosh is offline
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 22
The photo of the skip with the Peacock's head that appears in Roger's review is by Matt Stuart, a London-based street photographer.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #7
mcfingon
Western Australia
 
mcfingon is offline
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Thanks. Look forward to seeing you there in 2017! The Rencontres are normally the first full week in July.

Sorry about the browser thing but I don't know enough about computers to remedy the problem.

Cheers,

R.
I'll do my best to be there! Wetzlar would be a good place to visit afterwards too! The web link worked fine on my phone, and other people seem to be getting there with no problems, so it must have been an isolated glitch.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #8
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeboosh View Post
The photo of the skip with the Peacock's head that appears in Roger's review is by Matt Stuart, a London-based street photographer.
Thanks. Couldn't read my own notes! I'll amend the text ASAP.

UPDATE: Done. Thanks again.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #9
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
Rencontres d'Arles has developed into an important fair, with participation numbers almost at the level of ARCO in Madrid, and matching Frieze London/NYC and Art Basel numbers.

My favorite for photography remains the Venice Biennale, but it is possible to do both, which I might try next year.
Are the others as specifically photographic?

Insh'Allah might see you in Arles, then.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #10
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
If you are passionate about photography, the only reasons not to go to the Rencontres in Arles are because you can't find the time or the money.
There might a million other reasons ... but I enjoyed reading your review!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #11
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
There might a million other reasons ... but I enjoyed reading your review!
Name (say) 10: I'll let you off the full million.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #12
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Name (say) 10: I'll let you off the full million.
Roger —

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic festival and I’d love to attend it next time. However, your first sentence made it sound like you are questioning how serious people are about their photography if they don’t attend this festival.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #13
giganova
Registered User
 
giganova is offline
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,322
Roger -- for those of us who are not attending, is it worth getting the catalog?
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #14
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Roger —

Don’t get me wrong, I think this is a fantastic festival and I’d love to attend it next time. However, your first sentence made it sound like you are questioning how serious people are about their photography if they don’t attend this festival.
Not really. The same applies to a number of festivals. The reason I don't go to more of them is lack of time or money or both... This one I can afford to get to, so I do.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #15
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
Roger -- for those of us who are not attending, is it worth getting the catalog?
No. At least, I don't think so: I never have. The catalogue is very expensive and covers only the main Rencontres exhibitions, while the best and most interesting stuff is often in Voies Off or ad hoc.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #16
Roger Hicks
Registered User
 
Roger Hicks is offline
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Aquitaine
Posts: 23,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
. . . Arles looks like great fun on so many levels. . . .
It is. And the magic word is Rencontres, meetings.

Cheers,

R.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2016   #17
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,781
For the first time in years I couldn't attend the Rencontres in 2016.

I would like to read a synthetic and comprehensive review about this second event directed by Sam Stourdzé* as well as a precise description of how the Luma fundation is taking things over.

What happens in the streets and on the squares at night as well as in the cafés and restaurants of any kind during the Rencontres isn't something new. Ditto for all the vernissages and librairies éphémères (temporary bookshops).

*Sam Stourdzé, formerly curator of the Musée de l'Elysée in Lausanne (Switzerland) is the new boss of the Rencontres since 2015, and kinda wants them to depart from what they have been until his arrival.
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2016   #18
robert blu
quiet photographer
 
robert blu's Avatar
 
robert blu is online now
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Italy
Age: 70
Posts: 5,696
An excellent review, and I like that Place Voltaire !
One more reason to go to Arles is the possibility to meet Roger and Frances! They are both great photographers and friendly interesting people to spend some time with!
robert
__________________
Remember: today is the Day !
from Ruth Bernhard recipe for a long and happy life

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF
  Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2016   #19
Highway 61
Revisited
 
Highway 61's Avatar
 
Highway 61 is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,781
In French but extremely clear and easy to read, a great Arles 2016 review here :

http://sbooi.fr/blog/archives/5091
__________________

  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:16.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.