Leica M4 film advance lever
Old 07-15-2016   #1
chaospress

Leica M4 film advance lever

Just got a pretty clean Leica M4 and really like it. Only thing I don't like as well as my M7 is the film advance lever. After the M4, Leica kept the plastic tip design but slightly altered the shape of the lever- I believe even starting with the M4-p or M4-2. At any rate, I find I have to contort my thumb a bit more than is needed with the M7.

DAG says to just shoot with the camera if everything looks and sounds good. I kind of doubt a cleaning or lube is the issue- I think it's just that the design and shape of the lever wasn't optimum on the M4, and that's why Leica later altered it slightly.

So has anyone put an M6/M7 lever on their M4 and found it improved function? I think I've seen that people have replaced the original with an M2/M3 lever.
Either way, I'm not interested in aesthetics but wonder if a different lever would make film advance a bit more effortless.

Old 07-15-2016   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaospress View Post
Just got a pretty clean Leica M4 and really like it. Only thing I don't like mechanically as well as my M7 is the film advance lever. After the M4, Leica kept the plastic tip design but slightly altered the shape of the lever- I believe even starting with the M4-p or M4-2. At any rate, I find I have to contort my thumb a bit more than is needed with the M7.

DAG says to just shoot with the camera if everything looks and sounds good. I kind of doubt a cleaning or lube is the issue- I think it's just that the design and shape of the lever wasn't optimum, and that's why Leica later altered it slightly.

So has anyone put an M6/M7 lever on their M4 and found it improved function? I think I've seen that people have replaced the original with an M2/M3 lever.
Either way, I'm not interested in aesthetics but wonder if a different lever would make film advance a bit easier.
The M4 lever is certainly different than that of a M2/M3 or M6/M7.

I changed mine out for a M2/M3 style for the look. Did not notice any difference in resistance in the film advance, but I do kinda remember that the original M4 advance was sorta had a stocky look (fatter and looked shorter) and a different shape than on my M6.

Could be that the lever might be shorter and with less leverage you perceive more resistance. Check against a M6 or M7 to check if the above is so.

BTW a M4 with a M2/M3 lever looks boss.

Cal

Old 07-15-2016   #3
Jerevan
Recycled User

Hmm ... having used several M4 and M4-P, and handled a few M6, I have totally missed that small detail.

That the M4-Ps are more "crunchy" with the wind-on is the most obvious difference between the two.

Can't someone show examples of this detail? - I am curious to know.

I find the M2/M3 and the later levers being equal in advancing the film, but maybe I am just lacking the finesse.

Old 07-15-2016   #4
taemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
BTW a M4 with a M2/M3 lever looks boss.

Cal
this, even an M6 with M2/M3 lever looks great and one of the few 'mods' i've always wanted to do, thanks for reminding me this Cal.

don't have an M4 and M6 at the same time on my stables, only M4 at this point but both felt the same... flimsy compared to the M2/M3 lever.