Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Excellent candid pics of Obama's presidency
Old 07-05-2016   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Excellent candid pics of Obama's presidency

Without it getting all political (hopefully) these are pretty damned good. LINK

Old 07-05-2016   #2
coogee

They seem a nicely captured range of shots of someone just being someone. Not so political anyway, just some great little moments with none of the austere tones of high office. Man kisses wife, man eats pizza, man runs with dog/kids, man fist bumps other man etc. I can happily ignore the politics and just enjoy them as bright and cheery workplace shots.

2 million images! You'd definitely hope to get some keepers in there!!
Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-05-2016   #3
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
Two million pictures? Who needs two million pictures of anything? Not knocking the prez or the quality of the photos here. Just saying that amount seems ludicrous.

Maybe the WHP should be given the opportunity to shoot film?

Yes that figure caught my breath a little too. But I guess if you're going to follow someone around all day with a camera for eight years the body of images at the end of the process will be large!

Old 07-05-2016   #4
BillBingham2

I wonder if that was film frames would be it be enough to keep Kodak in business?

Either way, thanks for sharing, some great stuff.

B2 (;->

Old 07-05-2016   #5
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I just did the math ... that's averaging over six hundred images per day. You'd want an editing team!

Old 07-05-2016   #6
Larry H-L

And remember that Pete (and Michael Evans) also photographed Ronald Reagan's presidency. It would be interesting to know the number of film images taken of Reagan compared to digital images of Obama.

Old 07-05-2016   #7
giganova

At a maximum shutter actuation of ~200,000 for a professional DSLR, he must have burned through 10 cameras, or about $50,000 for camera bodies alone!

Old 07-05-2016   #8
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I just did the math ... that's averaging over six hundred images per day. You'd want an editing team!
At least a few Pages......

B2 (;->

Old 07-05-2016   #9
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by giganova View Post
At a maximum shutter actuation of ~200,000 for a professional DSLR, he must have burned through 10 cameras, or about $50,000 for camera bodies alone!
The shutter actuation number is the average minimum expected not the maximum.

Old 07-05-2016   #10
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogee View Post

Thanks for sharing.
He chimped.
Every single one.

Old 07-05-2016   #11
Shirley Creazzo

I enjoyed this Keith. Glad you started the thread - had no idea it existed. As for the big number I thought fashion photogs did that amount for a single magazine spread - LOL.

Old 07-05-2016   #12
Timmyjoe

Pretty cool Keith, thanks for the link.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 07-05-2016   #13
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogee View Post
They seem a nicely captured range of shots of someone just being someone. Not so political anyway, just some great little moments with none of the austere tones of high office. Man kisses wife, man eats pizza, man runs with dog/kids, man fist bumps other man etc. I can happily ignore the politics and just enjoy them as bright and cheery workplace shots.

Thanks for sharing.
You missed "man eats unwashed apple he's yet to pay for at the supermarket"
Most of us can only get away with the odd grape now and then!

2 million images is roughly 2.5 cubic meters* of 35 mm film canisters (~55k rolls. *not taking into account the ideal packing fraction - just squares bases - no guarantee my maths is right either).

It doesn't seem that much really - just over two pallets worth?

Old 07-05-2016   #14
Lss

I like the one with Obama eating a peach.

Edit. Or apple, as perhaps correctly identified by the previous poster.

Last edited by Lss : 07-05-2016 at 21:53. Reason: Comparing apples to oranges

Old 07-05-2016   #15
coogee

LOL. The whole series of shots did remind me more than a little of the recently finished season of the TV show Veep and the POTUS thoughts on leaving office - "I don't even remember how to drive, now I have to have a wallet" etc.

It must be a very bizarre bubble to be inside of and to document.

Last edited by coogee : 07-05-2016 at 21:57. Reason: snipped, veering towards the 'p-word'

Old 07-05-2016   #16
YYV_146

That's actually not very many. People shoot with different levels of intensity for events. I can easily put in 1,500 clicks for a 4-5 hour event if I don't want to miss anything.

Being on the POTUS team probably means having high speed burst perpetually on and shooting with the kind of bodies that can handle infinite RAW bursts. My guess is something like 2,000 frames per work day with some "slow" days (Packed with close-door meetings, etc.) and some "off" days (Private day off with family, etc.)

Sony A7rII Kolari mod

Noctilux ASPH, 35lux FLE, 50 APO ASPH, 75 APO cron, 21lux, Sony/Minolta 135mm STF

500px

Old 07-05-2016   #17
John Bragg

Very interesting choice of such a huge archive. Why no closeups ?

Old 07-05-2016   #18
JP Owens

Not really that great a number. I've talked to young people who routinely shoot a couple of hundred selfies a day. And that's just shooting themselves with their lunch. Imagine having a subject like a president available all day!

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 07-05-2016   #19
jarski

thx for link, enjoyed looking. Obama eating a fruit in market is funny. to me question comes did he actually pay for it like us mere-mortals, or just took it and enjoy?

edit: seems that catch attention to above commenters as well.

Old 07-05-2016   #20
Richard G

The number is irrelevant. Some nice images. I read somewhere he favoured the X100 for this work. Looks like that camera's output.

Old 07-06-2016   #21
Leica All Day

awesome photos, thanks for sharing.

Old 07-06-2016   #22
Wulfthari

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
Very interesting choice of such a huge archive. Why no closeups ?
Digital shooter apparently aren't aware of the existence of tele lenses.

However Barak is a photogenic guy and I suspect some of his political career was based on this quality, not that's a bad thing.
Zorki 4K,5,6, Leningrad,Industar 61LD 1:2.8/55,Orion 15 1:5,6/28,Jupiter 8 1:2.0/50,Jupiter 9 1:2.0/85,Jupiter 11 1:4/135,Jupiter 12 1:2.8/35

Old 07-06-2016   #23
kuuan
loves old lenses

Some good photos, I like best him kissing his wife. However if these are the best of 8 million I believe that most of us would have taken at least as many interesting pics

Old 07-06-2016   #24
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Ah ... the perils of being an Aussie Dave!
I know... try living here with the vibrant blather of talking heads on TV and around the people we rub shoulders with each day. Perils, indeed.

Impressive numbers, but I would be happy to see none!!!

Dave

Old 07-06-2016   #25
dave lackey

Hmmm... I wonder how many photos of the Royal Family are taken everyday, on average.

Dave

Old 07-06-2016   #26
JP Owens

It does engender cynicism when you have to deal with politicians a lot. But the kind of access that an official photographer has has resulted in some great photos over the years.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 07-06-2016   #27
airfrogusmc

Great stuff and I think it was Pete's favs which may or may not be the best but I really like them all.

And I love these words by Winograd when he was asked about how many images he made and he said "art is not a product of industrial efficiency".
We never ask a painter how many sketches he made to get to the final piece.

To think of the history Pete was a personal witness to. All I can say is WOW and thanks for posting this.

Old 07-06-2016   #28
Asim

Those are great shots of President Obama. My favorite is the one where he's adding weight to the weigh scale.

I'm proud to say that I'm in currently in the same region of the city where he grew up in Indonesia.

Old 07-06-2016   #29
DNG
Film Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
The number is irrelevant. Some nice images. I read somewhere he favoured the X100 for this work. Looks like that camera's output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfthari View Post
Digital shooter apparently aren't aware of the existence of tele lenses.

However Barak is a photogenic guy and I suspect some of his political career was based on this quality, not that's a bad thing.
Very interesting Interview from 2011...
I am sure he has different cameras now... The X100 is near silent to the photographer, so it must be 100% silent to others in the room.

Peter Souza: Master of the White House

Cut/Past from interview:
DPP: How are you able to get the photos you need without being a distraction to the president?

Souza: I try to have as small a footprint as I can. He’s very used to me being around and has become oblivious to me when he’s in the middle of meetings. I’m also very selective as to when I shoot. I’m not doing motor-drive bursts. Also, I try not to use a flash ever, unless I’m doing "grip and grins." One of the things I had to decide when I started this job was which cameras to use. I chose the Canon [EOS] 5D Mark II, mostly because I thought it was quieter than the Nikon cameras. To me, that was a big consideration...

... DPP: What equipment were you working with that day?

Souza: Two camera bodies and four lenses: a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm. That’s what I carry most of the time. I think these fixed lenses are sharper than the zooms, and if I need to, I can use a 1.4 aperture in a dark room. The 35mm is probably the lens I use the most. It’s one of the sharpest lenses I’ve ever used. Sometimes, for a big public event, I’ll bring a 70-200mm, which is actually a sharp lens, as well.

DPP: You also worked with President Reagan. What are the differences between covering Reagan and Obama?

Souza: I wasn’t the chief photographer for President Reagan—I was staff—so I didn’t have the same access then that I do now. The chief photographer Mike Evans hired the staff, and I was one of them. I had a prior relationship with President Obama that I didn’t have with President Reagan. Reagan was close to 50 years older than me when I first worked at the White House, and now, I’m a few years older than President Obama. I’ve had many life experiences between the two presidents, including having been in war zones, so I’m a more seasoned photographer than I was more than three decades ago...

... DPP: In a given day, how much do you shoot?

Souza: Anywhere from 500 to 1,000 images. I use 8-gigabyte cards. If I’m at the White House, I drop cards off at my office every couple of hours. Once they’re downloaded, we reformat and use them again. There’s a photo archivist at the White House who’s been there 25 years.

Old 07-06-2016   #30
Steve M.

Edit, edit, edit! Well, I'm a film shooter and despise digital (in a nice, friendly way). What did you expect me to say?

In all seriousness, that's just too many photos to take. I'm reminded of the days before digital when someone, don't know who, photographed JFK sitting at his desk and walking around in the White House during the Cuban missile crisis. It's worth googling that and looking at those photos, they really captured the worry, fear, and concern of the president, and the photographer didn't need to take a gazillion shots, they just took the right ones.

Old 07-06-2016   #31
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Great pictures, my favourite is the first one, it's just so ridiculous. Wish our politicians were human!

Old 07-06-2016   #32
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
Great pictures, my favourite is the first one, it's just so ridiculous. Wish our politicians were human!

I have to admit that first pic is also my favourite. I love the humour in it ... it's the sort of pic that they may have just rejected but I'm glad they didn't.

Old 07-07-2016   #33
jarski

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
....Approx 1 million shots a year
my guess that he's never-delete-anything type of photog, not even the faulty ones. just dump everything to computer and select good ones from there.

Old 07-07-2016   #34
minnichphoto

Such high volume is often a negative side effect of digital technology and rarely results in better work. IMO, volume is usually a poor strategy.

I clicked on the link expecting to see unguarded moments of true authenticity that only intimate access can provide all with the flavor of a "personal" edit. Instead, this small edit, seems a little "PR-ish" to me.

Hopefully, given Pete's true talent, access and volume*, we will see the images of a historic president that only the Chief Official White House photographer could have captured.

Old 07-07-2016   #35
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

Perhaps the number includes bursts where there is max one keeper out of a whole load. Bin the rest, maybe just estimate the total number ever taken from the number of memory cards per day and number of days. If it turned out to be 1.5 million you'd still be impressed.