Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Travel

Travel This is the place you ask for travel advice, or share your own tips. Topics include destinations, sight seeing, and best / smartest ways for traveling with a camera.

Old 06-10-2016   #281
tsiklonaut

Icelandic infrascape.

Old 06-10-2016   #282
zerobuttons

Your pictures are very inspiring, sir.
You link to blogspot.dk. Do you have Danish roots?

Old 06-10-2016   #283
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobuttons View Post
Your pictures are very inspiring, sir.
You link to blogspot.dk. Do you have Danish roots?
Cheers!

It's Google tricking you - I've felt the same clicking on various blogspot links thinking they have some sort of Estonian link. But in reality Google just routes the site to your local servers to make it faster.

That being said I think many Estonians do have Danish roots from the Duchy times

Regards,
Margus

Old 06-11-2016   #284
zerobuttons

I didn´t know that about blogspot - I haven´t looked up blogspot links before, that weren´t obviously Danish.....

Yes, there must have been some mingling going on back in those days. Maybe even before, when Scandinavians travelled East, with looting or trading in mind, depending on the mood.

Old 06-11-2016   #285
lynnb

Wonderful photos and trip Margus, thanks so much for sharing them with us. I've enjoyed looking through them immensely. Congratulations also on your choice of film and formats, the results speak for themselves!

kind regards,
Flickr

Old 06-11-2016   #286
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Wonderful photos and trip Margus, thanks so much for sharing them with us. I've enjoyed looking through them immensely. Congratulations also on your choice of film and formats, the results speak for themselves!
Thank you, Lynn!

Old 06-11-2016   #287
tsiklonaut

As always, we prefer to be off the beaten track - explore the rarely seen sights on those rough Icelandic trails.

Old 06-11-2016   #288
tsiklonaut

Old 06-11-2016   #289
tsiklonaut

Old 06-12-2016   #290
tsiklonaut

Dark Pyramid
by tsiklonaut

Old 06-12-2016   #291
Jerevan
Recycled User

I guess it depends on the terrain, but on a given day, how far would you travel?

Sometimes, especially on foot, I tend to measure the hours rather than actual distance. It gets me into a journeying mood - I am were I am and that's it.

And as for the danish roots ... Taani Linn.

Old 06-12-2016   #292
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
I guess it depends on the terrain, but on a given day, how far would you travel?

Sometimes, especially on foot, I tend to measure the hours rather than actual distance. It gets me into a journeying mood - I am were I am and that's it.

And as for the danish roots ... Taani Linn.

We really travel by intution, no agendas or time tables. No egos (no "I am" or "that's it" attitude) or prejustice - for us it's only pure respect to the place and people we are surrounded with. We are really humble people and go as life directs us so to speak. Some days it's 0 kilometers (when we like the place), other time it's 500 km (when transiting over less interesting area). On rough trails it's very hard to collect up the mileage and there's no point either - lots to see! I think our average was something like 150-250 km per full riding day for Iceland. We met people who do more on bicycles then we on motorcycles, not sure how much they see and experience the scenery though...

Yep, Tallinn. Also what should sound familiar to you is "Såg" (saag) and "Hyvel" (höövel) we have in Estonian language

Long story short: a country with a very small sustained population has been very easy to occupy or conquer by the big empires surrounding us throughout the history.

Margus

Old 06-12-2016   #293
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Finno-Ugric people have been in "good" position during the history. Fighting off Vikings, Slavics, christianity in both orthodox as well as catholic forms. Being invaded, winning back independence, being destroyed and some surviving by very small margins. Some do fine (Finnish, Eesti, Hungarian) and some have some hope still (Sami, Mari, Komi and Samojed to mention few).

We're tough people living in difficult places, climate wise as well as politically.

Which is actually why I love Iceland so much. Iceland, Faroe Islands, Svalbard, etc. are places where people have had to grow intertwined with their surroundings to survive. There's no shortcuts to happiness there. And people seem more open, creative and loving then in most other places I've been And they seem to have quit some characteristics common with us finno-ugric people They might have been Vikings, but they settled in most unlikely of places and survived. Bit like us, surviving in the crushing embrace of russia, scandinavian kingdoms and western civilizations. Still clinging on what is at it's core, us. Enjoying our saunas, forests, lakes and winters.

Old 06-12-2016   #294
tsiklonaut

It was then the right time to call it quits and head back to the ferry from Seydisfjörður, feeling satisfied and saying our goodbyes to Iceland!

Old 06-12-2016   #295
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
Finno-Ugric people have been in "good" position during the history. Fighting off Vikings, Slavics, christianity in both orthodox as well as catholic forms. Being invaded, winning back independence, being destroyed and some surviving by very small margins. Some do fine (Finnish, Eesti, Hungarian) and some have some hope still (Sami, Mari, Komi and Samojed to mention few).

We're tough people living in difficult places, climate wise as well as politically.

Which is actually why I love Iceland so much. Iceland, Faroe Islands, Svalbard, etc. are places where people have had to grow intertwined with their surroundings to survive. There's no shortcuts to happiness there. And people seem more open, creative and loving then in most other places I've been And they seem to have quit some characteristics common with us finno-ugric people They might have been Vikings, but they settled in most unlikely of places and survived. Bit like us, surviving in the crushing embrace of russia, scandinavian kingdoms and western civilizations. Still clinging on what is at it's core, us. Enjoying our saunas, forests, lakes and winters.

Well summed up Santtu!

Old 06-12-2016   #296
tsiklonaut

It was a long ferry ride back to the mainland of Europe.

Old 06-12-2016   #297
alistair.o

Thank you Margus (and wife) for an exceptionally beautiful view of a 'mysterious' island. Thoroughly enjoyed the script and pictures.

Glad you're with us here.

Regards.

Old 06-12-2016   #298
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair.o View Post
Thank you Margus (and wife) for an exceptionally beautiful view of a 'mysterious' island. Thoroughly enjoyed the script and pictures.

Glad you're with us here.
Thank you for the kind words, Alistair!

Old 06-12-2016   #299
Jerevan
Recycled User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiklonaut View Post
We really travel by intution, no agendas or time tables. No egos (no "I am" or "that's it" attitude) or prejustice - for us it's only pure respect to the place and people we are surrounded with.
Just how I meant it too, what I wrote sounded perhaps a bit forced - on the contrary; just being in the moment, everything else falling away.

Quote:
Yep, Tallinn. Also what should sound familiar to you is "Såg" (saag) and "Hyvel" (höövel) we have in Estonian language
Languages are crossroads and they tell their own story through the vocabulary. I remember that my old professor mentioned that they did an excursion to Saaremaa in the early 90's, finding people who still knew a few swedish words.

Old 06-12-2016   #300
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
Languages are crossroads and they tell their own story through the vocabulary. I remember that my old professor mentioned that they did an excursion to Saaremaa in the early 90's, finding people who still knew a few swedish words.
Yes, we also are a mix of many cultures and heritages. There are still some "domesticated" swedes in Noarootsi area, even the place names are in swedish origin.

Old 06-12-2016   #301
tsiklonaut

It was a fantastic 7800 kilometers, 33 days. Interestingly during all that time, we didn't spend a single night in a hotel or under a roof. Every night was spent in our cozy and trusty tent. We touched all the extreme land points reachable by a road or trail in Iceland: eastern, western, southern & northern. Touched the heart of Iceland via central highlands and had a decent dash on both the Faroe Islands & Iceland.

Us within.

Hope you enjoyed the report!

Margus & Kariina

Old 06-12-2016   #302
Black
Photographer.

An absolutely wonderful thread, Margus. I can't wait for more of your travels!

Got to say, this thread has been pivotal in me to keep shooting film, having been recently tempted back to digital. I'm now in love again.

I'd love to ask you a load of questions, but here doesn't seem the appropriate place to do it. I will continue to explore your blog. If ever you are in UK, you should drop a line.

Old 06-12-2016   #303
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black View Post
An absolutely wonderful thread, Margus. I can't wait for more of your travels!

Got to say, this thread has been pivotal in me to keep shooting film, having been recently tempted back to digital. I'm now in love again.

I'd love to ask you a load of questions, but here doesn't seem the appropriate place to do it. I will continue to explore your blog. If ever you are in UK, you should drop a line.

Cheers Chris!

I've done this as well, thinking film is too much work I went to digital for some years, but dissapointed I switched back and can't see making this mistake again. I get to use $5000 D1x body with $3000 worth of lenses, but it just doesn't motivate me anymore, it may be perfect but it is also lifeless, sterile and dry at it's core.

Film emulsion is the best medium for the artistic expression by far, there's no substitute for it no matter how good you are in digital post processing.

Don't know when I'll be in UK again, but the same applies the other way round - if you ever pop into Estonia let me know. If I haven't been away for long I usually have a selection of self brewed gourmet beer available to chat over photography

Margus

Old 06-13-2016   #304
tsiklonaut

And back to Estonia:

Field of Dreams
by tsiklonaut

Old 06-13-2016   #305
tsiklonaut

Adding another well deserved feather to our Gessu's hat. If my math is correct it's a country number 83 touched by her wheels. She's nearing 300 000 clicks birthday - a worthless old junk for capitalist salesmen but mighty precious, priceless and trustworthy companion for me.

Old 06-14-2016   #306
brennanphotoguy

Hands down one of the best posts in the travel section for sure. Nice work.

Old 06-14-2016   #307
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
Hands down one of the best posts in the travel section for sure. Nice work.
Thanks, Brennan!

Old 06-15-2016   #308
tsiklonaut

Some more scanned film frames I found about our Icelandic adventures:

Capped
by tsiklonaut

Old 06-15-2016   #309
tsiklonaut

Offroad lap around on one of the Westfjords (it's not even a marked F-road), a very decent dash with nobody around for miles!

Old 06-15-2016   #310
Thud

Where are you going next.

Old 06-16-2016   #311
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
Where are you going next.
Central-Asia, I hope.

Old 06-16-2016   #312
tsiklonaut

Coastline
by tsiklonaut

Old 06-16-2016   #313
jamin-b

Fantastic and unique series. I'm just a bit disappointed that you don't actually look like your avatar. I always pictured you stopping at the side of the road, knocking the used tobacco from your pipe and snapping off a few shots before replacing your helmet and speeding away...

Old 06-16-2016   #314
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin-b View Post
Fantastic and unique series. I'm just a bit disappointed that you don't actually look like your avatar. I always pictured you stopping at the side of the road, knocking the used tobacco from your pipe and snapping off a few shots before replacing your helmet and speeding away...
LOL, although I do not smoke I occasionally do precisely that. But only during a very special moments when I've really achieved something I thought I couldn't before going - usually once every couple of years I light up a cigar.

I do have a shot me doing that on finishing the Iceland expedition as well, but I'm too introvert by nature to post that picture.

About the avatar - it's an old friend of mine from my village, a local alcoholic many local feel disgusted with but for me a very inspiring person to meet and to chat with every time we meet. He used to be a photographer shooting large format and also a Chernobyl veteran helping many people out to safety, he always has an interesting story or two to tell and a different insight to things the Average Joe has. Although obviously I do not fully want to be as him it somehow found a way to my avatar.

Old 06-16-2016   #315
tsiklonaut

Skyline
by tsiklonaut

Old 06-16-2016   #316
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
Those clouds! Awesome!

Old 06-16-2016   #317
Thud

Quote:
Central-Asia, I hope.
I can't wait till we leave again
Thank You.
My favorite photo among many was the Land locked infra red boat. I always went back to that one.
Thank You Again

Old 06-17-2016   #318
tsiklonaut

This very-little known trail (not even F-marking) around one of the West Fjords is probably only ridable during the low-tide.

Old 06-17-2016   #319
tsiklonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santtu Määttänen View Post
Those clouds! Awesome!
Kiitos, Santtu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
I can't wait till we leave again
Thank You.
My favorite photo among many was the Land locked infra red boat. I always went back to that one.
Thank You Again
Cheers Thud, hopefully by the end of this year or the beggining of next I have something to report (if all goes well!).

Regards,
Margus

Old 06-17-2016   #320
tsiklonaut