Old 05-11-2016   #41
dave lackey

Aargh!!

After having sold the M3, I miss the purity and aggravation... similar to withdrawal from my old British sports cars. I love the Big M6... yet...

I STILL want to try the M-A!!!

Even for a day...

Dave

Old 05-11-2016   #42
sanmich

I can't help but think that if Leica wanted to introduce a new film camera, they should have done something in the lines of the FM3a: hybrid shutter, allowing both auto and mechanical speeds.
Form factor and speed dial as the M6.
That would have been actually a new, better tool.
Selling us MP's without meters, M240 without screens? meh...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 05-11-2016   #43
MCTuomey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
I can't help but think that if Leica wanted to introduce a new film camera, they should have done something in the lines of the FM3a: hybrid shutter, allowing both auto and mechanical speeds.
(Bold font added for emphasis.)

I agree. For some, "new" features get in the way or are otherwise unappreciated. Not me. I need and want them. Less is less when I contemplate buying gear. Which is why most of my shooting has moved away from Leica M to other tools. Nothing's nicer in use than a Leica M, but if I can't get the results I need, I buy what helps feature-wise. It doesn't hurt that other tools are often less expensive to buy and use than Leica, either.

That said, this is imho the last word on the debate -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
I love my M-A and using it is uniquely satisfying for me. It may not be that way for you.

My Flickr

Old 05-11-2016   #44
sojournerphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
(Bold font added for emphasis.)

I agree. For some, "new" features get in the way or are otherwise unappreciated. Not me. I need and want them. Less is less when I contemplate buying gear. Which is why most of my shooting has moved away from Leica M to other tools. Nothing's nicer in use than a Leica M, but if I can't get the results I need, I buy what helps feature-wise. It doesn't hurt that other tools are often less expensive to buy and use than Leica, either.

That said, this is imho the last word on the debate -
Yes, new features can be really useful if the whole package works. I moved from slr to rangefinder, which I still love. Tried M4/3 but didn't get on with it, but love the fuji XP2. I shoot the XP2 in a totally different way to the rf. XP2 with aperture priority, auto iso and focus (unless using a legacy lens). Rf fully manual with manual or scale focus. Both work, but differently.

You make an important point about whether we are driven by actually getting the image or by the experience of shooting. Of course, they are not totally separate, but there is an important question for each of us to answer to our own satisfaction. Likewise, why we might shoot film in a digital world.

All that said, I would love an MA

Mike

Old 05-11-2016   #45
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Having just bought one, I'm enjoying it. I see it as something that's going to last my entire lifetime.

M-A | M10 | Q | 500CM

Instagram. | Website.

Old 05-11-2016   #46
MCTuomey

Mike, no argument here about the desirability of an M-A.

Abram, congrats on getting yours - it's the pleasure of a single stem rose versus a bouquet of prairie blooms, I think.

My Flickr

Old 05-11-2016   #47
kshapero
Leave the lights on

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbialecki View Post
I met a foreigner the other day in Bangkok who had an M-A and he had a Voigtlander meter II on it….hahahaha. cheers, michael
that is really funny but I am ok with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 05-11-2016   #48
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post

Abram, congrats on getting yours - it's the pleasure of a single stem rose versus a bouquet of prairie blooms, I think.
You know, That is a beautiful analogy and I think you're right on the money.
If anyone is ever in Southern California and wants to try it out you're absolutely more than welcome to try mine!

M-A | M10 | Q | 500CM

Instagram. | Website.

Old 05-13-2016   #49
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Maybe it's sour grapes because there's no way I can afford to buy an M-A, but I believe that even if I could, I would opt for Plan B, which would be to buy a really nice M4-P, and have thousands left over to buy a lens to put on it. Oh yes, I would get a better rewind mechanism too.

Heretically yours,
Dez

Old 05-17-2016   #50
agoglanian
Reconnected.

I am one of the odd ones that doesn't mind the earlier post rewind personally, but my main reasoning is that it's a larger surface area to grip onto. The tiny rewind knob of basically every camera out there has always been troublesome to grasp onto and has always bothered me. The M-A is even tighter than my MP in that it doesn't budge if I let go of the knob mid-rewind. My MP is not quite as tight as that but it doesn't release anywhere like my early M2 did haha.

I do think the M-A is expensive, and I bet one could buy an early M4-P and should they so desire, have it modified to suit their own needs / desires. But I must fully admit that the M-A is appreciably smoother in operation than any film M I've used thus-far (including my MP which I already thought was the smoothest). I'm well aware that I could have bought an entire Nikon F system for the cost of the M-A body (Even used as mine was), but as someone that doesn't want to hoard equipment and have a bunch of gear, I don't mind having invested in something I will literally be keeping forever.

M-A | M10 | Q | 500CM

Instagram. | Website.

Old 05-17-2016   #51
giganova

Not everyone wants a 40+ years old camera. I am saving money to get an M-A, which is basically a new M4 Wetzlar.

Old 05-17-2016   #52
dave lackey

Yeah, I am saving, too although it might be a 40 year old M-A by that time...

I really would like a black one... and a brand new camera at that!

Dave

Old 05-17-2016   #53
giganova

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
So you basically want an M7. Are you saying that the only reason why you don't buy an M7 is because not all shutter speeds are both electronic AND mechanical? I guess some people will always find a reason to complain

Old 05-17-2016   #54
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Yeah, I am saving, too although it might be a 40 year old M-A by that time...

I really would like a black one... and a brand new camera at that!
I assume that by the time I can afford one it will be offered in black paint

Although in the next year or so I might have to pick up an M4 (or variant) as a second body.

Old 05-17-2016   #55
bucs

I would love to have one in black paint. I hope they offer it as an option soon

Old 05-17-2016   #56
Pioneer

Just returned from my granddaughter's softball game. If you are into challenges then try shooting any sports event "under the lights" with the M-A. Ilford Delta Pro 3200, Leica Tele Elmarit 90/2.8 and an old Weston Master IV handheld meter. Or, when I get bored, swap out for the little Color Skopar 35/2.5 and photograph some of the action in the audience.

Any older Leica M will work just as well. Develop the next day, print out a contact sheet and count how many well focused photos you came away with.

Great, great fun!!

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan