Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

A week with my Hasselblad 500C
Old 04-12-2016   #1
lxmike
Barnack fan

A week with my Hasselblad 500C

Well just over a week with my 500C and l m taken aback by the build quality, its stunning. Anyway, the weather has been so typically British for April, wet damp and grey, so l have spent a week indoors cleaning and getting used to focusing the beast, as l call it, anyway, l feel now comfortable with focusing this beauty, incidentally it does not seem to snap into focus like some of my old rangefinders but focus it does, (even when wearing my varifocals. It came with a WLF but l have added, after wise sage from fellow forum members, a 45 degree prism with working meter. Now the meter of this prism seem accurate and matched the reading on my x pro 1 and my Sekonic L208. l am still in two minds whether to touch up the paint work of the prism or leave it as it is with its patina of use
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpiWeUB6AM.jpg (17.7 KB, 48 views)

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 04-12-2016   #2
ray*j*gun

I agree about the Prism although I use the non-metered one. It adds weight but I find it is much better for non-studio work.

Old 04-12-2016   #3
madNbad

Good to hear you are happy with the finder and it's working well. Look around for a tripod quick coupling plate and load up on film.

Old 04-12-2016   #4
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Good to hear you are happy with the finder and it's working well. Look around for a tripod quick coupling plate and load up on film.
Hi, although heavey, the finder makes the Hasselblad easier to handle, buying a few bricks of my fav Ilford

Old 04-12-2016   #5
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray*j*gun View Post
I agree about the Prism although I use the non-metered one. It adds weight but I find it is much better for non-studio work.
yes the finder is a joy t use, love the 'big' view it gives

Old 04-12-2016   #6
Bill Clark

I recommend to leave it as is.

I have a 45 degree prism like yours.

You'll enjoy making photographs wih your Hasselblad.

Old 04-12-2016   #7
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
I recommend to leave it as is.

I have a 45 degree prism like yours.

You'll enjoy making photographs wih your Hasselblad.
many thanks Bill l think you are right about leaving as it is

Old 04-12-2016   #8
Bill Clark

Come up with a story to tell folks how much you used it! Size of camera impresses some. You might as well get some good mileage out of it!

Old 04-12-2016   #9
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Come up with a story to tell folks how much you used it! Size of camera impresses some. You might as well get some good mileage out of it!

it is quite some camera, you get to shoot film and have a workout at the same time, l loke your idea Bill of telling a story of its use

Old 04-12-2016   #10
mfogiel

Just focus on the image, and remember you only have 12 frames per film. This is going to improve your photography really fast.

20130406 by marek fogiel, on Flickr

Old 04-12-2016   #11
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Just focus on the image, and remember you only have 12 frames per film. This is going to improve your photography really fast.20130406 by marek fogiel, on Flickr
Very nice image by the way, l grew up with film in the 1970's, back then you were over the Moon if you got an extra shot or two out of your roll of film. To be honest what will take some getting used to is shooting in the square format....seeing square as it were

Old 04-12-2016   #12
Nokton48

It's cool how it all works -together-. I have a couple of the same meter prisms, they read out directly in EV's which is what you want with your C lens. Set the EV and then slide up and down to pick your exposure combo.

It's just very well thought out. Old and underrated IMO.

I left my prisms alone for a while, then after a bit, I touched them up. No worries, the paint will wear off with time.

If you can find somehow the rubber eyecup from the Kiev 60, it fits this vintage of Blad prisms like it was made for them.
Keeps my eyeglasses from getting scratched.

Old 04-12-2016   #13
ferider

I have a prism for my Hassi too, and used it for portraits.

But for landscapes, I found the WLF to help me compose more consciously.

Old 04-18-2016   #14
FujiLove

It sounds like my 503CX arrived two days before your new camera :-)

I've also been stuck inside waiting for the weather to brighten up, but managed to sneak out for an hour yesterday and shot a roll of Ektar at a local air museum. I'm not used to handling the camera yet, but I do love the build quality and bright focusing screen. I also need a strap. It was damn scary hand holding it without one.

Have fun with the 'blad.

Old 04-22-2016   #15
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
It sounds like my 503CX arrived two days before your new camera :-)

I've also been stuck inside waiting for the weather to brighten up, but managed to sneak out for an hour yesterday and shot a roll of Ektar at a local air museum. I'm not used to handling the camera yet, but I do love the build quality and bright focusing screen. I also need a strap. It was damn scary hand holding it without one.

Have fun with the 'blad.
many thanks, how are you finding your hasselblad

Old 04-22-2016   #16
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

The image quality is as incredible as the build quality. I ended up selling mine for a Mamiya 6 system because I couldn't carry the weight of the Hasselblad and the lenses I had for it due to poor health. The Mamiya is small and light, but its plasticy body feels cheap and nasty. Fortunately, the Mamiya 6 lenses are incredibly sharp. I do miss the Hasselblad at times.

Old 04-22-2016   #17
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
The image quality is as incredible as the build quality. I ended up selling mine for a Mamiya 6 system because I couldn't carry the weight of the Hasselblad and the lenses I had for it due to poor health. The Mamiya is small and light, but its plasticy body feels cheap and nasty. Fortunately, the Mamiya 6 lenses are incredibly sharp. I do miss the Hasselblad at times.

many thanks for the reply, l must admit the hasselblad is a heavy beast, glad you like your Mamiya, they have very good glass

Old 04-23-2016   #18
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
I went the opposite direction. I had a brief fling with a mamiya 7II. The image quality was excellent, but I didn't like the touchy shutter release, and had reliability problems with no fewer than three 65mm lenses. I wound up dumping it and going back to my trusty 500CM and SWC.

In my case I think it has something to do with getting older. By now I know what I do and don't shoot with. It's time to knock off the GAS and spend my time shooting, developing, printing! So if the Hasselblad kit starts to feel too heavy, I'll just leave one or two of the lenses at home.

Old 04-23-2016   #19
JP Owens

If you are going to shoot film, it's hard to do better than a 'blad. The quality of the glass is amazing. Just don't forget your dark slide!

Local Pageant hired some New York photographers to shoot their pageant back in the day (I'm in Texas). They got here with a brace of 'blads, dozens of empty backs, lots of film...and no dark slides. Sure was glad I wasn't them.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 04-24-2016   #20
Richard G

Have a look at the prism finder in action here in a snowstorm. Wonderful video of Michael Kenna on Hokkaido. Magical.

http://www.michaelkenna.com/interviews/hokkaido_j.html

Old 04-24-2016   #21
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfogiel View Post
Just focus on the image, and remember you only have 12 frames per film. This is going to improve your photography really fast.

20130406 by marek fogiel, on Flickr
Marek,

You always surprise me with something cool. This photo and others keep me interested in a Hassy. Maybe one day, but I have no knowledge of them, yet. Much research to do that is why I am following this thread this morning.

Dave

Old 04-24-2016   #22
ray*j*gun

Beautiful video Richard. Interesting focus on photography. Thank you for sharing it.

Old 04-24-2016   #23
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxmike View Post
many thanks, how are you finding your hasselblad
Well, I've only had the chance to shoot one roll through it, but have done a great deal of 'fondling'! It's certainly a beautiful thing to just have around. I find myself continually opening up the finder, framing things around the house and taking dry shots.

I'm particularly taken with the shutter sound. I owned a bronica SQ a while ago and hated the shutter noise, which made me jump out of my skin every time a took a photo. I expected the blad to be the same, but it's actually very different which is a relief.

I've just purchased a set of Op-Tech connectors so I can use the strap I already own. Next I need a step-up ring so I can attach the Lee filter ring I bought for a different system. And then there's the question of a bag...

So yes, really pleased with it so far. I'm taking it to Iceland soon, so it will be getting plenty of use.

Old 04-24-2016   #24
ChrisLivsey

Just a mild note of dissent in response to the prism lovers, each to his/her own but I find after many years of using the WLF that I don't take the same images with a prism attached. I vastly prefer a chimney finder, looking down into the camera just seems "right", perverse to say a prism makes it like an SLR because it is one but it does change the height you shoot from and does change the look, just IMHO not trying for converts just a different POV.
Having said that I do enjoy the H and don't have the WLF but it's a very different beast you can run the classic lenses though a great redeeming feature.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 04-24-2016   #25
tocalosh

Every time I watch a video of Michael Kenna at work I want to go out and make photos! I'm not really a landscape photographer, I just love the way he works, slowly reducing the number of elements in his field of view untill he has a very minimalist composition. I think it's an approach that coulde be used in other fields of photography, such as portraiture.

Old 04-24-2016   #26
raid
Dad Photographer

Yeah, I got reminded of when I would have a camera attached to a Gitzo tripod at some remote location during some cold winter. Those times are gone for me. I am married with children and a job that requires me to be here.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 04-24-2016   #27
mcfingon
Western Australia

A Blad is more familiar to me with a waist-level finder. It's also more compact that way. I used to carry the 500C I had on a motorbike that way. Picture of my current 500CM.

Old 04-24-2016   #28
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfingon View Post
A Blad is more familiar to me with a waist-level finder. It's also more compact that way. I used to carry the 500C I had on a motorbike that way. Picture of my current 500CM.
very nice

Old 04-24-2016   #29
lxmike
Barnack fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujiLove View Post
Well, I've only had the chance to shoot one roll through it, but have done a great deal of 'fondling'! It's certainly a beautiful thing to just have around. I find myself continually opening up the finder, framing things around the house and taking dry shots.

I'm particularly taken with the shutter sound. I owned a bronica SQ a while ago and hated the shutter noise, which made me jump out of my skin every time a took a photo. I expected the blad to be the same, but it's actually very different which is a relief.

I've just purchased a set of Op-Tech connectors so I can use the strap I already own. Next I need a step-up ring so I can attach the Lee filter ring I bought for a different system. And then there's the question of a bag...

So yes, really pleased with it so far. I'm taking it to Iceland soon, so it will be getting plenty of use.

glad your enjoying your blad

Old 04-24-2016   #30
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
If you are going to shoot film, it's hard to do better than a 'blad. The quality of the glass is amazing. Just don't forget your dark slide!

Local Pageant hired some New York photograptachers to shoot their pageant back in the day (I'm in Texas). They got here with a brace of 'blads, dozens of empty backs, lots of film...and no dark slides. Sure was glad I wasn't them.
With a lot of film that is inconvenient! But it's quite OK to remove the insert from the magazine whether it is fitted to a body or not. Regardless of whether the dark slide is installed. In fact, if you are on the street it is possibly the easiest way to change the film in a Hassy with one magazine, as you can leave it attached to the body and do not need the third hand to hold it, while the other two are engaged in threading the film onto the insert. In their shoes I would have done the best I could with one film at a time in each of the backs attached to their bodies.

Of course if you have a couple of Hasselblad bodies without magazines attached, and no dark slides at all, that is more of a problem. You'd need to devise a way of temporarily defeating the interlock in a back, to actually fit it to a body.
Cheers,
Brett