Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > SLRs - the unRF

SLRs - the unRF For those of you who must talk about SLRs, if only to confirm they are not RF.

Old 06-30-2015   #41
dave lackey

My F80 (thanks John!) is now sharing the Hadley Pro with the F6. What a nice match!

Dave

Old 06-30-2015   #42
crsantin

I have an F80, F90x, and F100 as well as some manual focus Nikons. The F80 is terrific. Very light, good viewfinder, good autofocus, very smooth shutter and film advance. Really it has everything you need in an AF camera. I bought mine for $20. I use it when I want a light camera to sling over my shoulder or if I need the built in flash. My F100 gets the most use as it is a better camera in almost every way, but if I had to use only an F80 I would be quite pleased to do so. My F90 does not see a lot of use these days. It is heavy and very loud. Firing that shutter is like racking a shotgun, and very crude compared to the refined shutters on both the F80 and F100.

Old 06-30-2015   #43
Kate-the-Great

I've had moderate interest in the F80-based digital bodies (Kodak SLR/N, Fuji S3) but the lack of metering with AI lenses is a travesty. Which is a doubly shame because the F80 sounds like quite a nice platform other than that!

Old 06-30-2015   #44
Godfrey
somewhat colored

I had one that my uncle gave me. It was a nice camera, but it didn't meter with my AI/AI'ed lenses. I sold it in April or May...

G

Old 06-30-2015   #45
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsantin View Post
My F90 does not see a lot of use these days. It is heavy and very loud. Firing that shutter is like racking a shotgun, and very crude compared to the refined shutters on both the F80 and F100.
Yes, that's the F90.. But.. did you also notice that the F90 shows the least camera shake of the three? Despite the ruckus, the mirror/shutter assembly is superbly balanced.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 04-07-2016   #46
dave lackey

Back on the saddle...

I have finally gotten a huge load of stress reduced to a tolerable level. My photo life has been languishing.

So, I finally got the last 8 months of film to my buddy's lab for developing and I have been through my various Nikon kits. The F6 had been my daily workhorse on my current documentary. As is my usual preference, I have been using either the D3100 or the X1 in the same bag for those times I prefer to shoot digital images. It is time now to bring the F80 back into the kit with a decent zoom. So I just spent some time with it and wonder why it took so long...

Now my return to enjoying photography will see me using two kits, the F6 and D3100/the F80 and the D3100. I have matched the X1 with the M6. Hmmm...

I need a new bag!!!!

Dave

Old 04-07-2016   #47
Thardy

Yep, that's photography. There's always something new you can buy. OT- A forum question was asked about using the on board flash of a digicam to fire an off camera flash. The quick preflash triggered the slave prematurely resulting in a dark exposure. Unfortunately there was no way turn off the preflash.

I bought a cheap radio flash trigger that included a transmitter and receiver for about $15. It worked perfectly. So, the problem solved, cheaply.

I've never had a bag problem solved cheaply. I've bought cheap bags before, but that just leads to buying more bags alá Back Alley.

Oh well, how much film is 8 months worth for you?

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 04-07-2016   #48
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thardy View Post
Yep, that's photography. There's always something new you can buy. OT- A forum question was asked about using the on board flash of a digicam to fire an off camera flash. The quick preflash triggered the slave prematurely resulting in a dark exposure. Unfortunately there was no way turn off the preflash.

I bought a cheap radio flash trigger that included a transmitter and receiver for about $15. It worked perfectly. So, the problem solved, cheaply.

I've never had a bag problem solved cheaply. I've bought cheap bags before, but that just leads to buying more bags alá Back Alley.

Oh well, how much film is 8 months worth for you?
That is interesting, Tom...

Can you say what exactly you bought to use? I am thinking of some low key portraits.

Dave

Old 04-07-2016   #49
besk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
I had one that my uncle gave me. It was a nice camera, but it didn't meter with my AI/AI'ed lenses. I sold it in April or May...

G
All of my lenses except for a 50/1.8AF are AI only otherwise I would have purchased one rather than the N70 I have.

Old 04-08-2016   #50
Thardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
That is interesting, Tom...

Can you say what exactly you bought to use? I am thinking of some low key portraits.
I bought a set from Andoer. Seems to be universal.

http://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Wireles...trigger+andoer

Amazon as well as eBay has many other cheap brands. They are not Pocket Wizard quality, but they work.

Flickr

Tumblr

Old 04-09-2016   #51
farlymac
PF McFarland

I finally nailed one. It's coming with the Nikkor AF-D 28-105.

PF

Old 04-09-2016   #52
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by farlymac View Post
I finally nailed one. It's coming with the Nikkor AF-D 28-105.

PF
Congratulations!!! That is exactly the same setup I have. Good lens! I have had mine since.... 1990 or so?

Dave

Old 04-09-2016   #53
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Congratulations!!! That is exactly the same setup I have. Good lens! I have had mine since.... 1990 or so?
I've got the N80 also but with the 35mm-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D lens..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 04-09-2016   #54
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
I've got the N80 also but with the 35mm-105mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-D lens..
That's cool, one is just a bit wider but basically the same.

These little cameras are plastic fantastics. Very light and shoot the same lens as the D3100 and F6. Just for grins I placed the equally plastic 18-55 from the D3100 on the F89 and it works perfectly. Again even lighter, faster and quick! Keh has this lens for $79. I wonder how a DX lens will work on the F80/N80?

What a neat inexpensive kit ...should be a hoot with the 70-200 2.8 I used to shoot everyday.

Dave

Old 04-09-2016   #55
Stuart John

I suspect the DX lens won't cover the film as it is designed for a smaller sensor. There is a cheap plastic fantastic 28-80 that will work great with the F80.. I've often been tempted to pick up an F80 but haven't bothered due to having an F100 and an F801 that don't get much use, still I maybe get one at some point.

Canonet QL17, Canonet 28, Zorki C

Old 04-09-2016   #56
Prest_400
Multiformat

They are tempting machines. I don't shoot 35mm much nowadays but the idea of a standard black SLR that looks akin to a contemporary attracted me.

Classifields have bodies for $20. With a kit lens it's also quite affordable but it makes me lean to put that $ into film & processing instead. I'd like a 50mm however and should buy that... so it gets slippery slope.

Old 04-09-2016   #57
dave lackey

For everyone even thinking about an N80/F80, just go ahead and do it! In a few years you will wonder why you didn't just spend that $25 for a terrific body. Uses the same lens as the full frame Nikons and you may find that film is still fun! This is the golden age of photography that we most likely will not see again.

I know that film is about 90% of all I shoot these days. Developing my own b/w film gives me a lot of satisfaction. The F80 is my companion for the F6 and gives me a lot of flexibility.

Dave

Old 04-17-2016   #58
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

I spied this F80 in an Oxfam branch in Oxford, price was £9.99 and I couldn't leave it there! As I was handing over the note the guy on the till produced the original box and all of the cameras original paperwork. I got it home and it works perfectly and its unmarked and looks unused. Astonishing!

Nikon F80 by Flat Twin, on Flickr

So I've popped on the AF-D 35/2.0, set some custom functions and put in some HP-5 and we're good to go!

Nikon F80 by Flat Twin, on Flickr

I've never given the F80 a second glance but its basically a light weight F100 and its so quiet! It should make a great street shot camera...

Regards

Simon

Old 04-17-2016   #59
lxmike
Barnack fan

my dad had a F90X, l had a tatty but reliable F801s, a great camera

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar, 35mm Summaron.

Soon to arrive: a boat load of HP5

Old 04-17-2016   #60
John E Earley
Tuol Sleng S21-0174

Many of the N80 cameras are lightly used due to the owners not being able to get them to function when the ERR message showed on the LCD and the mirror locked. Fortunately it is usually an easy fix.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cEfU

Old 04-17-2016   #61
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

I had one for a while

I ended up selling it. The viewfinder was nothing like the F90x or the F4, it did not use the AA batteries which are cheap and plentiful and worst of all, with the lenses I have the F90x was focusing much faster. Even the F4s was focusing faster with the 28-70 3.5-4.5 D.

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 04-17-2016   #62
dave lackey

Can not think of a better value for taking pictures for me...YMMV.

The F80 is a perfect match for the F6... Same lenses, same batteries, small, light, capable and fits in my Hadley Pro with room for the D3100.

Simply a great tool!

Dave

Old 04-17-2016   #63
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Well I just cycled 3miles through the woods with my 6year old boy. Yesterday's Oxfam aquired F80 was around my neck and I didn't even know it was there... We shot a roll of HP-5.

It's horses for courses, if I want to get serious then I'll use my F5 but a family bike ride with the F5, forget it, way to heavy.

Little £9.99 Oxfam found F80, just perfect.

Nuff said!

Regards

Simon

Old 04-17-2016   #64
farlymac
PF McFarland

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. They finally shipped it Friday, should arrive here next Friday (4/22).

PF

Old 04-17-2016   #65
dave lackey

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. They finally shipped it Friday, should arrive here next Friday (4/22).

PF
You will love it I am sure. The AF bodies can be shot with one hand easily enough as I found out with a swollen hand and index finger last week. That lens is very nice with a macro setting. The N80 may be my one camera one lens setup on my next road trip.:-))

Dave

Old 04-22-2016   #66
farlymac
PF McFarland

It arrived today, looking like it just came out of the box. The coverings feel like they will need the treatment soon, but other than that, it works just fine. The hood for the 28-105 D should arrive tomorrow, then I'll be ready to give it a test run.

It will be great with the F100 kit.

PF

Old 04-30-2016   #67
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

A few weeks ago I was asking about picking up an F6 as a film body on which to use my 1.4G primes. While I'd still like an F6 on general principles, I've been thinking a N80 makes more sense for the light use I'd be giving it. I always liked these little bodies, especially with the MB-16 battery pack so you can use AAs. I just discovered these can be set up for back button AF-ON which is a huge plus for me.

Going with a N80 leaves more money in the X-Pro2 fund, too!

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 04-30-2016   #68
newspaperguy

Maybe the best of the auto SLRs. Certainly one of the lightest to tote.
Bought one new as a hiking companion. Still have it. Still works well.

My five -star rated children's book,

"The Little Crow Who Could Not CAW"

is now available for Kindle and other readers.

This semi-animated version of the hardbound edition
may be just perfect for your favorite 4-to-8 year old,

Available from Amazon.com, of course.

N80 with AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 D
Old 04-30-2016   #69
farlymac
PF McFarland

N80 with AF Nikkor 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 D

When you buy a used camera and lens from a charity auction site, you can only hope for the best. I got lucky with this combo. Loaded with Kodak Ultramax 400, I went in search of the usual subjects to test it out.

Macro mode

Macro Puff by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Bright sun doesn’t faze this combo

By-Gone by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Matrix metering at work

In The Shadow by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Good focus in low light

Forewarned by P F McFarland, on Flickr

Hand held at 1/8 sec

McFall’s Creek by P F McFarland, on Flickr

See all the photos and commentary at https://flic.kr/s/aHskvLExbn

PF

Old 04-30-2016   #70
dave lackey

Quote:
When you buy a used camera and lens from a charity auction site, you can only hope for the best. I got lucky with this combo. Loaded with Kodak Ultramax 400, I went in search of the usual subjects to test it out.
Looks like ya got a good one!! The 28-105 is permanently attached to it.

It really is a wonder that you can get such a capable machine for $15-25!!! I just finished a roll from the F80, and almost through scanning a batch of other film from thexF6, so I can't wait to develop it.

The cool thing is I can take the F80 anywhere and not worry about a thing. I think it is time to try out the 50 1.8 AF. Pretty compact but the MF Series E might be a hoot and is even more compact.

Dave

Old 04-30-2016   #71
farlymac
PF McFarland

Thanks, Dave. Not sure just exactly how I'm going to kit this one, either with the F100 (all Nikkors), or N90s (all Tamrons). Or I could get an N80s, and gift this one to a friend of mine ( I was really just trying to get the lens, and at the price I paid, the lens was at a steep bargain, with the body a free rear cap).

PF

Old 04-30-2016   #72
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Ok, I'm actively on the hunt for an N80. I found what appears to be a clean F100 with MB15 on the auction site, but having a lightweight body is appealing, too.

It's gonna look a little silly in the bag with my four 1.4G Nikkors (24/35/50/85) - the body will be worth less than the filters I carry. Lol.

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C

Old 05-01-2016   #73
charjohncarter

I have one and somehow it has a Sigma Zoom. I don't even know what the numbers are, as I've never used it. It does have sticky rubber. I don't know if that could be fixed, but KEH has that as its lowest rating for this camera.

Old 05-01-2016   #74
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

Quote:
Originally Posted by charjohncarter View Post
I have one and somehow it has a Sigma Zoom. I don't even know what the numbers are, as I've never used it. It does have sticky rubber. I don't know if that could be fixed, but KEH has that as its lowest rating for this camera.
I'm told some TLC with rubbing alcohol will clean that stickiness up. Give it a try and enjoy the camera!

Old 05-01-2016   #75
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

The contrarian in me wants to look for an F80 instead of an N80. Was the F80 available without the data back? All the ones I noticed on the big auction site were QD.

A N/F80 would ride well in the front pocket of my Domke F2 bag...

Old 05-01-2016   #76
grouchos_tash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Twin View Post
I spied this F80 in an Oxfam branch in Oxford, price was £9.99 and I couldn't leave it there! As I was handing over the note the guy on the till produced the original box and all of the cameras original paperwork. I got it home and it works perfectly and its unmarked and looks unused. Astonishing!
Wow, that's great, I never finding anything that good in charity shops. Oxfam is usually the worst, if there's anything decent it's usually 3000 times the price it should be.

flickr

www.garyharding.website

Old 05-01-2016   #77
ray*j*gun

I don't have an N80 but I do have a N6006 that I bought new many years ago and never sold because , well it just works so damn well. Light, full of features and even the kit lens was terrific for my usage. Pretty amazing that these perfectly good machines aren't worth the shipping costs these days. Good really as i will not be tempted to sell it.

Old 05-01-2016   #78
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
The contrarian in me wants to look for an F80 instead of an N80. Was the F80 available without the data back? All the ones I noticed on the big auction site were QD.

A N/F80 would ride well in the front pocket of my Domke F2 bag...
I would imagine you can get a plain F80... Mine is the QD with the data back. Might be handy if I need to do some detective work!!! but I keep it turned off.

Dave

Old 05-01-2016   #79
dave lackey

Quote:
Thanks, Dave. Not sure just exactly how I'm going to kit this one, either with the F100 (all Nikkors), or N90s (all Tamrons). Or I could get an N80s, and gift this one to a friend of mine ( I was really just trying to get the lens, and at the price I paid, the lens was at a steep bargain, with the body a free rear cap).

PF
No, no, keep it! You need two. One for color and another for b/w. Or for two different films. They both fit in a bag with little weight.

Dave

Old 05-01-2016   #80
charjohncarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
I'm told some TLC with rubbing alcohol will clean that stickiness up. Give it a try and enjoy the camera!
Thanks that's where I'll start. The rubber looks perfect just sticky.