What is your Leica M dream lens?
Old 04-01-2016   #1
noisycheese
Normal(ish) Human

That is my question - what is your Leica M dream lens, and why?

It can be current production or an out of production lens. It can be a lens that you own, or one that has eluded you so far.

For me, it is the Noctilux f/1.0 (#11 822). Why? Because of its unique fingerprint. No other lens renders the way this lens does.

Old 04-01-2016   #2
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Made in Canada 35 or 28. Not because I really need it, just because country of origin.

Old 04-01-2016   #3
LukasB

Quite a bland dream to some - Mark 1 Summilux. Paint that sucker Black. Corr. nice

Only problem is I'd have to sell the Collapsible Cron to provide some cash for the purchase... and I'm not currently in a place to do that. The extra stop isn't that important to me and the 'Cron is too compact

Old 04-01-2016   #4
Richard G

Rigid Summicron.

Old 04-01-2016   #5
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

I guess there is a difference between dream lens and fantasy lens.

One of my dream lenses is the one I own today: E46 Summilux 50mm Pre-ASPH. I like the classic rendering and 0.7m focus.

Dream lens I'd love to try/own in the future would be

Rigid Summicron 50mm in perfect condition
Summar 50mm in perfect condition
Summilux 35mm Pre-ASPH (wish it had 0.7m focus and filter thread!)
Summicron 35mm v1

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram

Old 04-01-2016   #6
bucs

Summicron 35 v1

Prices are way out of my reach I often dream about finding one cheap in an estate sale

Old 04-01-2016   #7
BillBingham2

90/4 Macro-Elmar.

I have a feeling it would so ROCK on a Fuji X body......

B2 (;->

Old 04-01-2016   #8
Jan Pedersen

I think i just got my dream lens, at least it is a dream to use and the images it can produce are very nice too.
50mm Summilux ASPH.
I had to sell my beautiful Rolleiflex to make it happen but so far no regrets.

Old 04-01-2016   #9
michaelwj
----------------

Another v1 35mm summicron vote. I'd like a BNIB black one please
And the 35mm summilux pre-asph is going to be in my future I think, really loved that lens fro the week I borrowed one.

Old 04-01-2016   #10
Pfreddee

A free one, for obvious reasons.

With best regards.

Pfreddee(Stephen)

I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.

Drat.

Old 04-01-2016   #11
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Noctilux f1.0 ... I am a serious speed freak when it comes to glass and although these types of lenses can suck you into making depth of field your priority instead of the overall quality of your image making I would still like to use one at some stage.

But it will need to fall out of the sky because I'm not paying that much for a lens!

Old 04-02-2016   #12
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

Not sure this exists, but ... an 18mm Summilux adapted to Fuji-X. I'll run away and be quiet now.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 04-02-2016   #13
KM-25

For me there is my dream lens and then a variation of that I refer to as my desert island lens.

The former I checked out at Tamarkin last month and that is the 50 Apo Summicron. After a few comparison shots with a V5 Summicron I decided that while unique and nice, the price difference simply made it an extravagance not likely to happen.

But my desert island lens, the 35mm 1.4 asph II ( FLE ), that is a lens I gladly forked over the $3,500 for used and is a lens that after making some 10,000 photos with since I got it last August...I can't live without, at any price.

Maybe one day on the 50 AA, a no brainer on the 35 FLE. Both are dream lenses for the most part but one had to become a reality.

Old 04-02-2016   #14
Canyongazer
Canyongazer

Well, since I don't have a Leica my dream lens would be:

A 50mm Summicron equipped with a lens hood on one end and an M3 on the other.

Old 04-02-2016   #15
Erik van Straten

The Summilux 35mm f/1.4 pre asph steel rim. But I have that one. Well, then the Noctilux 50mm f/1.2. I can go on dreaming.

Erik.

Old 04-02-2016   #16
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
The Summilux 35mm f/1.4 pre asph steel rim. But I have that one already. Well, then the Noctilux 50mm f/1.2, so I can go on dreaming.

Leica M5, Summilux 35mm f/1.4 pre asph steel rim, Tmax400.

Erik.
Funny I've owned all of these except the f1 Noctilux but used one regular at a company I worked for in the mid 70's. Having owned them or currently own some I dont lust for any of them again.

I'd say my favorite lenses that I've owned or own currently made by Leica would be #1 the 75 Summilux. Second would be my 35 v1 Summcron.

I found after owning the newest crop of asph lenses I'm much more of a classic fan.

I owned a 50 noctilux 1.2 in the 70's and wasn't at all impressed. It was better side open to about f4 than it was stopped down and it wasn't thst impressive at f1.2. Actually it was quite a price to pay for only 1/3 stop over the summilux. It handled light sources in the frame ok but certainly wasn't worth what it cost. I wound up trading it after a couple of years for a v3 summicron and other goodies.

Old 04-02-2016   #17
Leica All Day

28mm summilux, hands down it's my dream lens. After using one on a short trip to Myanmar I have been lusting after one ever since. I used to want a 50mm noctilux f1 but then I used one for a couple of hours and changed my mind.

Cheers, michael

Old 04-02-2016   #18
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I've owned all of these but I dont lust for any of them again.
Did you also use or owned a Summilux 35mm steel rim? How did you like that one?

Erik.

Old 04-02-2016   #19
Ronald M

50 `Lux asph

35 Summicron asph

24 3.8 elmar

Have them and will never sell

Old 04-02-2016   #20
semi-ambivalent
Little to say

35FLE. My 35 cron ASPH is actually what is best for me, but I can't seem to shake the 1.4 jitters. Silly old coot...

s-a

Old 04-02-2016   #21
giganova

I don't care about the lens as long as it comes with that body:

Old 04-02-2016   #22
x-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Did you also use or owned a Summilux 35mm steel rim? How did you like that one?

Erik.
I had the all black one I bought new in 1968 but my brother had the steel rim version. I shot with his and he shot with my Summilux. Honestly there's no difference in the two. I hear people say there's a difference but leica stated they only had one formula and both versions were the same. This was my finding too that the images were identical.

I worked as a journalist at the time and can say I didn't like the performance wide open. I lost some very important images of President Richard Nixon due to flare and coma from light sources on the edge of the frame. My lens produced secondary images at 1.4 within the frame if there was a bright source against a dark background as well. I posted images on here once but it's been a while. Fortunately I backed up the shots with my 50 Summicron.

Some people swear by them but I'd much rather have any of the non ASPH Summicron 35's. The only reason I kept the Summilux was I did have 1.4 if needed it and was usable under the right conditions and I owned it and didn't want to chase down another lens. It took some time to track down the Summilux. This was in the day that leica was always in short supply. I found one in Washington DC at Ritz and paid retail for it, $333. I couldn't find one anywhere else. The same happened with my 21 Super Angulon 3.4. They were non existent for the most part. The 35 Summicron v1 which was the current production was also in short supply.

Old 04-02-2016   #23
f16sunshine

Haha.... Laugh at myself a bit.
Have owned most of my leica lenses that were hi up on the desire list.
My color Skopar 50mm and 40mm cle lens are what I want and have.
Would like a nikkor f2.5/35mm ltm again some day.
Nothing against Leica. After trying do many, these humble lenses suit my RF 35mm film needs best.

Old 04-02-2016   #24
mfogiel

A 35/1.4 that performs like 50/1.4 pre asph and is no bigger.

Old 04-02-2016   #25
aizan

the chrome 35mm summicron asph that came with special editions like the hammertone and anthracite mp.

also the chrome 28mm elmarit asph that came with the safari m8 and other special editions.

Old 04-02-2016   #26
pechelman
resu deretsiger

there are lenses I'd like to use for a week or two to see how I get on with them, namely the 21 and 28 summilux, but I'm not certain either of these would be considered a "dream lens" for me. To me, that means a lens that I'd want to use for the majority of shooting, and since both of those lenses are quite large, I'm not sure that would actually happen.

I really dont know if there's any "dream lens" for me, unless I can dream up some fantasy lens like a 50 .95 the size of a summicron. Back to reality though, at one point I thought I'd love a 35FLE but I just dont always bond with that fov. I'm much more of a 28 / 50 person I've come to realize. I guess if I was forced to choose, I'd probably say the 50APO, though I'm more than content with the 50 rigid and asph 'lux to really give one any serious thought. One of the noctilux series might be a close second, but on that choice, back to the size, not sure I'd really use it all that much.

Old 04-02-2016   #27
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
I had the all black one I bought new in 1968 but my brother had the steel rim version.I hear people say there's a difference but leica stated they only had one formula and both versions were the same. This was my finding too that the images were identical.
I have both Summiluxes 35 mm pre asph here on my table: black 222xxxx and steel rim 177xxxx. There is a huge difference between the two. The steel rim is much better. The black one is only sharp in the center of the image. You have to stop down at least to f/8 to get the whole image sharp. I think however that later versions are again improved.

Erik.

Old 04-02-2016   #28
maitani

dreamlenses:
noctilux 1.2
elcan 50mm (from KE-7A)
e58 or early e60 noctilux 1.0
Silver-chrome cron 50mm v4 pre asph

Old 04-02-2016   #29
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Not necessarily a "dream" lens but I currently lust for a 21 Angulon. I have the CV and love the FOV.

Old 04-02-2016   #30
airfrogusmc

I have one of my Leica dream lenses, the 35 Lux FLE. I would also like to add a 21 Lux or maybe the 28 lux.

Old 04-02-2016   #31
FrozenInTime

For fun and form factor, the 50mm Anastigmat from the 0-Series replica would be great in M mount.

Now a true dream lens would be a Leica 35mm f/1 Noctilux - and/or something smaller and entertaining from Miyazaki San of MS Optical.
I'm lucky enough to be able to switch between the very different 35 Summilux ASPH non-FLE and 35/1.4 Apoqualia as mood dictates.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 04-02-2016   #32
rfaspen

Disclaimer: I'm very fickle and financially challenged.

My dream lens right now is the 21/3.4 SEM.

I've also been hoping to acquire a pre-asph 35 summicron (1st would be nice, but they're all adequate for me), and a v2 50 summilux. Both are possibilities in the forseeable future.

But, remember the disclaimer

Old 04-02-2016   #33
Jerevan
Recycled User

I believe my dream lens is whatever makes me get out of bed and out making photographs ... for me two Leica lenses stand out: Summilux 35/1.4 and the Summicron 35/2 v3. Both sadly gone.

I would love to try the first version Summilux 50.

Old 04-02-2016   #34
smk

35mm Summilux-M Aspherical (the double aspherical one, or AA as it is sometimes called).

Old 04-02-2016   #35
Pioneer

My dream lenses are not what I thought they would be when I started.

Like many I used to lust for the fastest glass I could get my hands on, and I bought many of them.

Then I bought the Null Serie reproduction and absolutely fell in love with the way that Anistigmat 50mm f/3.5 draws. I knew that I may lose the magic by removing that lens from the body.

So I found a very nice Elmar M 50mm f3.5 and found it to also be a dream to work with. Not fast but very subtle and quite beautiful when I catch the light just right.

Another dream lens is my collapsible Elmar M 90mm f/4.

On one hand these are nothing special, on the other both of these are classic Leitz glass with their own way of drawing the light. They are really only waiting for someone to work with them again.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 04-02-2016   #36
uhoh7

I have some Leica dream lenses: 21 SEM, 28 Cron, 50 cron v4, 75 Lux, and 135 APO, and I love them very much

I would love to own, but doubt I will: 18/24 SEM, 28Lux, 35 v1, 35 FLE, 50 Lux Asph and cron APO, nocti .95, 75/90AA.

If you want to give me just one, I'll take the 28 Lux

Old 04-03-2016   #37
agoglanian
Reconnected.

Well with my first Leica experience back in 2004, I knew that one day that would be the system for me. It just felt right in my hands.

When I did finally buy into the Leica M system, I didn't have the budget for Leica's glass, so I bought into Zeiss and wasn't disappointed one bit.

When I made the decision to consolidate to Leica, I also decided then to begin acquiring the lenses I had wanted to try for so many years.

My initial goal was a set of Summicrons (28/35/50/90) Which I did ultimately acquire, but I wanted one fast(er) lens and that was the 50mm Summilux ASPH.

I sold the 50 Summicron (and some other things) and now have that Summilux on the way.

I don't find any particular draw towards the wide Summilux lenses (Though the 35 FLE would be one I wouldn't mind having) but I would like to eventually get the 21mm SEM. I don't need speed in a lens that wide, but I do want perfection across the frame, which that lens delivers.

As it stands, I'm thrilled to have the lenses I do (28 Summicron / 35 Summicron ASPH / 50 Summilux ASPH / 90 Summicron Pre-ASPH) but even that lot feels like too many for me. I don't think I'd get rid of any of them, but I try to go out with no more than two lenses at a time. Ideally one.

I would like to try a Noctilux one day but I doubt it's something that would see regular use by me.

M-A | M10 | Q | 500CM

Instagram. | Website.

Old 04-04-2016   #38
starless

35mm Summicron: size, character, versatility

Old 04-19-2016   #39
fer_fdi

28 Elmarit asph, because I doubt I can ever justify it's price... but it is so small, light, sharp and contrasty... I'd love to have one.
There are many options for 35, 40, 50 and 90 but for a 28 that small, light and sharp...

As a fantasy lens I'd like a 40/1.7 with the snap of the 50 Wetzlar, the resolution of the 50 IV or V and the size and weight of the Summicron-C (but with 40.5mm thread and a lip to use a clamp-on hood)
And a CLE-2 with an EBL of 50, that focus down to 30cm and shoot up to 1/8000 and down to 15 secs. The above lens could focus down to 50cm but wides down to 30cm.

Old 04-20-2016   #40
ColColt

35 f2 Summicron-latest version.