Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

$1 a month subscription to Luminous Landscapes
Old 02-05-2016   #1
Hsg
who dares wins

$1 a month subscription to Luminous Landscapes

I was looking for an article about a particular camera and clicked on the luminous landscape result, after the article loaded, a drop down menu with 'subscribe now' appeared. I clicked here and there thinking this was just the typical pop-up window to register but nothing happened, finally clicked on subscribe and it said $1 a month in order to access luminous landscape site.

Michael Reichmann is following the strategy of send me a $1 and I'll teach you how to be a millionaire... Anyway, in this age of open source and free ebooks, greed is still there even in the most unlikely of places, a website for photography discussion and reviews.

Old 02-05-2016   #2
JP Owens

I don't know. A buck a month seems to me a bargain, if the site is useful to you. Giving everything away free is a sure way to go under. I'd sure pay a buck a month to keep this site going, if asked.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 02-05-2016   #3
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
I don't know. A buck a month seems to me a bargain, if the site is useful to you. Giving everything away free is a sure way to go under. I'd sure pay a buck a month to keep this site going, if asked.
Leaving aside the articles in luminous-landscapes, all the forum posts were contributed for years by people for free. And suddenly to turn all that free contribution by members to a commodity is greedy imho.

Its not about $1.

Old 02-05-2016   #4
Jim-st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
Leaving aside the articles in luminous-landscapes, all the forum posts were contributed for years by people for free. And suddenly to turn all that free contribution by members to a commodity is greedy imho.

Its not about $1.
The forums are still free

Old 02-05-2016   #5
Tijmendal
Young photog

Wow. Accusing someone over being greedy for 1$ a month. If you don't want to read the article fine; go somewhere else. Like you said, everything is supposed to be free, right?
The only person I'd say is greedy, is you.

Old 02-05-2016   #6
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-st View Post
The forums are still free
It did not mention that in the subscription window.

I checked now, the forums are free.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2016   #7
Sonny Sichtstein
Mike in Sacramento

Quote:
Michael Reichmann is following the strategy of send me a $1 and I'll teach you how to be a millionaire...
I interpreted it as "send me a dollar a month to help defray the cost of maintaining a site with not insignificant traffic, and I'll give you access to a lot of stuff - including the videos that used to cost a lot more than a dollar."
Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE scanner | Epson V600 scanner | Epson P600 printer

Old 02-05-2016   #8
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

We're so used to getting a very high percentage of the amazing content of the internet for free, we forget that there are people working behind the scenes to provide the access to all this stuff. I actually like it when I see operators of websites try new ideas for making the site pay them a living wage. Someday I expect the web will be supported by the 'micro payment' idea: we'll pay a tiny amount each time we access information.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by Jamie Pillers : 02-05-2016 at 09:58. Reason: forgot a word

Old 02-05-2016   #9
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
I was looking for an article about a particular camera and clicked on the luminous landscape result, after the article loaded, a drop down menu with 'subscribe now' appeared. I clicked here and there thinking this was just the typical pop-up window to register but nothing happened, finally clicked on subscribe and it said $1 a month in order to access luminous landscape site.

Michael Reichmann is following the strategy of send me a $1 and I'll teach you how to be a millionaire... Anyway, in this age of open source and free ebooks, greed is still there even in the most unlikely of places, a website for photography discussion and reviews.
I want to get rich too.

I'm considering charging $1 per month to members who want to complain.

Stephen

Old 02-05-2016   #10
enero
Killer of Threads

I don't know where this concept of everything that's good is free came from. But aside from that. Don't you get that it costs money to have a website that people actually visit and spend time on? LL has very few ads and even fewer trackers and cookie thingies. I'm sure those few ads barely scratch the surface of paying for their monthly server costs. Asking for a $1 a month from maybe a couple of hundred users that are actually willing to pay for good content, isnt asking a lot.

Old 02-05-2016   #11
skibeerr

Over the years I have made several donations to Butkus.org as an appreciation for making my life so much easier.

Sites cost money to maintain.

Old 02-05-2016   #12
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

There may come a time when RangeFinderForum.Com needs to ask for members to chip in, and I will happily pay my $1 a month.

My Transaction Feedback Link...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2809&protype=9

Old 02-05-2016   #13
bmattock

Quote:

If I want access to a website that is behind a paywall, I either pay or I do not access it. I never thought to complain and call the owner 'greedy'.

What is it you think you are owed here? What obligation does the owner of LL have towards you or me?

Old 02-05-2016   #14
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Good idea.

Old 02-05-2016   #15
Orbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
I'm want to get rich too.

Stephen
No complaints here

Old 02-05-2016   #16
btgc

What Ken Rockwell did years ago - you can read, but printing out content is illegal if you don't pay.

Old 02-05-2016   #17
marcr1230

I think the challenge for websites is how to monetize the content and defray the costs of providing the service (and even making a living)

The current environment is such that average folks don't like to pay if there is an alternative. So websites use ads to make money - nothing wrong with that

The Head Bartender runs a business selling and repairing photo gear - you could say that RFF is a loss leader that drives people into the store.

Free Games and Apps have Premium "In App" purchases

it's not a bad thing, it's just life - we are all free to go elsewhere

As pointed out - we members also add value to a site (liquidity , to use the financial term) , kind of like the more people on Facebook, the more value it is to each member.

The great thing is - there's lots of choices and nobody is forced to pay

I avoid Photoshop cause I don't like the $10 per month fee - I'm fine, I've got other tools, and other tools then have added incentive and motivation to do better for cheaper...

Old 02-05-2016   #18
Bille

The question is, who is going through the hassle of registration and payment (minimum 12$ for a year, you cant just pay 1$) to read one article. I´d just skip and move on.

Old 02-05-2016   #19
krötenblender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
Someday I expect the web will be supported by the 'micro payment' idea: we'll pay a tiny amount each time we access information.
And that is, when Internet dies, finally.

Old 02-05-2016   #20
ChrisLivsey

The initial intention of the Luminous Landscape owners was to have the forums behind the pay wall.
The outrage this provoked among those who, as stated earlier, had contributed to them was such that they quickly, and to their credit, changed that decision.
It is not immediately obvious on the home page that the forums are free.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 02-05-2016   #21
michaelwj
----------------

They day they started charging is the day I stopped visiting. If every site I visited charged $1 a month it would add up quickly. On top of that (and more importantly), I'd prefer not give my personal financial information to every website just to read an article. On the other hand, I've got no problem with a few adds (although JCH is unreadable now - I stopped visiting there too), and I use affiliate links from websites I regularly visit whenever I can, and use the classifieds here to buy and sell.

I think I would have been likely to purchase one of their videos which I think would be interesting, but they've now put their only platform bot advertising their videos (and photo trips) behind a paywall. No chance of me purchasing anything now.

Just my 2c

Old 02-05-2016   #22
Hsg
who dares wins

Information that was free, should be kept that way. Turning free information into a product overnight, after years of ad revenue by the traffic those articles generated seems greedy to me.

Even if $1 is not much, who wants to give their personal and credit info for $1 membership - perhaps its that personal and credit card info, which has a far more substantial value than the "$1".

Old 02-05-2016   #23
bmattock

Quote:
Information that was free, should be kept that way. Turning free information into a product overnight, after years of ad revenue by the traffic those articles generated seems greedy to me.

Even if $1 is not much, who wants to give their personal and credit info for $1 membership - perhaps its that personal and credit card info, which has a far more substantial value than the "$1".
I think you should set up your own website, pay for everything yourself, and make sure you never succumb to greediness. And you should avoid those greedy websites that are trying to rip you off.

Just my 2 cents worth, but I won't charge you for it.

Old 02-05-2016   #24
bmattock

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
They take paypal.
I'm sure he will still have an objection, on some moral grounds or another.

In my experience, whenever someone says "It's not the money, it's the principle," it's the money.

Old 02-05-2016   #25
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
They take paypal.
That's reassuring.

Old 02-05-2016   #26
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmattock View Post
I'm sure he will still have an objection, on some moral grounds or another.

In my experience, whenever someone says "It's not the money, it's the principle," it's the money.
Its the money, the beggar-grade $1 fee is more of an annoyance than an expense.

if you think free information should be repackaged like one of those mortgage scams and resold again, then you're more of a businessman than a photographer.

Old 02-05-2016   #27
bmattock

Quote:
Its the money, the beggar-grade $1 fee is more of an annoyance than an expense.

if you think free information should be repackaged like one of those mortgage scams and resold again, then you're more of a businessman than a photographer.
I think people who provide a valuable good or service are within their rights to charge money for it. As long as those who do not wish to pay are free to walk away, I see nothing wrong with it.

And I'm not sure how that would have anything at all to do with my vocation or my avocation, or for that matter, why being a businessman would be something to be scorned. It happens that I'm not, but it wouldn't matter if I was.

Old 02-05-2016   #28
splitimageview

'The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.' - Gordon Gekko

Old 02-05-2016   #29
pagpow

Quote:
I want to get rich too.

Stephen
Stephen, that's brilliant!
Giorgio

Old 02-05-2016   #30
sojournerphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
'The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind.' - Gordon Gekko
And now we stare either:

A. The deeply unpleasant collapse of capitalism on the face, or

B. The return of a successful capitalist system and globally catastrophic climate change as a result of ever increasing consumption necessary to sustain the Beast

... Or both

Old 02-05-2016   #31
farlymac
PF McFarland

I'd put my two cents in, but I don't think anyone would pay me for it.

PF

Old 02-05-2016   #32
aoresteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Toad View Post
There may come a time when RangeFinderForum.Com needs to ask for members to chip in, and I will happily pay my $1 a month.
+1 This site is well worth a buck a month.
Cambo 23F 6x9, Olympus OM, Pentax M42, 6x6 & 6x7

De Oppresso Liber

Old 02-05-2016   #33
rpsawin
RF Enthusiast

Quote:
I want to get rich too. I'm considering charging $1 per month to members who want to complain. Stephen
Stephen,

My check is in the mail...

Bob
CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Old 02-06-2016   #34
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMcCoy View Post
This attitude is what's driving the global economy into the ground.

I'm sorry you feel like everything should be "free" for you and don't care if people involved in production should be used up like a tube of toothpaste.

You sicken me.
So, your solution to global economic growth is, repackaging what was free and selling it all over again?

Lets say tomorrow google decides that access to youtube is $1 a month, or google search is $1 for 100 searches... How would you feel about that?

Apple, google, facebook, all these companies are sitting on some serious cash, have they created any jobs to fuel the economy of their own country other than sweat shops in china where workers commit suicide due to abuse and bad working conditions?

The slick iphone is made by semi-slave labor of migrant workers who have left their families and children and are living in horrible conditions working long hours just so the western consumers forget their sad lives and waste all their free time texting and staring at a small screen.

The world economy is in bad shape because the west wants to bankrupt Russia by keeping the oil prices low and secondly keep the energy cost low for china's economy, so that apple and all other western companies could continue to make cheap goods in china and sell it at insane markups to the western consumers.

Luminous landscape is not youtube or facebook or google search, but its a good example of what tech companies could do with all the free data that was submitted to them by users over the years.

Old 02-06-2016   #35
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
It should be, since a payment system like Paypal, or ApplePay, does not reveal your info to the seller, or place personal info on the seller's site.
Good luck to Luminous Landscapes whatever payment method it uses.

Old 02-06-2016   #36
willie_901

So a while back LULA decides gradually implement a business plan that gradually, but steadily increases to video-based content. LULA visitors are encouraged to pay for the video content on a topic-by-topic basis. However streaming video is bandwith intensive and bandwidth costs money. There is nothing inherently evil, greedy or silly about such a business plan. Many other corporate-based internet providers are steadily increasing video content because its advantages for advertising strategies.

If it turns out that streaming costs are eating into profits (or worse) one either has to cease video streaming or find a different way to monetize video content. Of course LULA still has a significant amount of non-video content as well. To be complete part of the $12/year value is LULA curates content as well. This saves time and effort. You don't have to visit half a dozen (or more) sites to stay informed.

While I tease about RFF's membership being resistant to new technologies and change in general, as with all stereotypes that one is incomplete. I write this because I do not enjoy on-line video content. I can assimilate information much more efficiently by reading than by watching a video. As many recommended in this thread, I simply vote with my money ( or in this case my credit card). I don't buy/sell often but I always use the RFF classifieds when I do. And I make major photography purchases for RFF sponsors. I spent $1,300 at an RFF sponsor in 2015.

I hope RFF's business model is sustainable.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-06-2016   #37
Faintandfuzzy

Really? A dollar a month for a guy who thought a 3mp DSLR outresolved 35mm? A dollar a month for a guy who thought 11mp outresolved 6x7 film...and then contradicted himself after? A dollar a month for a guy who thinks film grain is binary?

Sure....let me send him a note so he knows where to send me a cheque each month.

Old 02-06-2016   #38
Emile de Leon

You can always see where people put their money...and who they are...
If its cakes/candy/drugs/sex...the sky is the limit...
But if it is something really valuable that they really need..like good info...to make their life better..they wont put in a penny for that...

Old 02-06-2016   #39
ChrisLivsey

Quote:
They take paypal.
That offers me, and I would suggest you also, no reassurance at all.
My PayPal account was hacked by clever, sophisticated people who were able to open two new bank accounts at widely separated geographical locations with fraudulent addresses with ease and no checks from PayPal. Certainly a lot easier for them to do that than for me to sort out the mess with PayPal.
Early and persistent intervention from me with limited support from PayPal prevented around £15,000 of fraud and I suffered no financial loss.
My PW by the way was mixture of upper and lowercase and numbers totally random.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Old 02-06-2016   #40
raid
Dad Photographer

Where would we be without so many great websites on photography. What is wrong with charging $1/month? Someone has to cover the cost of running a website. Stephen happens to have also a business. Some websites do not have a business in place.

Be gracious.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/