Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

New: KODAK Super 8
Old 01-06-2016   #1
Bille

New: KODAK Super 8

Anyone seen this already?

"You Buy it, Shoot it, Ship it ... We Process it, Scan it, Deliver it"

http://kodak.com/ek/us/en/consumer/p...o&idhbx=super8

Old 01-06-2016   #2
Art Vandalay
Imported from Detroit

I could be convinced....

Old 01-06-2016   #3
JP Owens

I could not be convinced! $75 for 90 seconds of film? You got to be kidding.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 01-06-2016   #4
JP Owens

Here's another link.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/01/0...8-film-camera/

Old 01-06-2016   #5
Mackinaw
Think Different

Old news. Somebody started a thread on this yesterday.

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m

Old 01-06-2016   #6
jsrockit

That's pretty cool.

http://gizmodo.com/kodak-reveals-a-d...-on-1751229439

Old 01-06-2016   #7
JP Owens

My dad could get an entire year of holiday videos on a single roll of Super 8 film!

Old 01-06-2016   #8
daveleo
what?

there's another thread nearby on this same topic.

Old 01-06-2016   #9
zuiko85

I think Kodak super 8 has been available all along. This leads me to believe that there must be a continuing market strong enough to keep it going, at least in a small way. It sounds like Kodak is just using this market to bring out a modern C mount camera with some useful features not available in older super 8 cameras available on the used market. Personally I've never had an interest in film making but evidently some still do.

Old 01-06-2016   #10
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
I think Kodak super 8 has been available all along. This leads me to believe that there must be a continuing market strong enough to keep it going, at least in a small way. It sounds like Kodak is just using this market to bring out a modern C mount camera with some useful features not available in older super 8 cameras available on the used market. Personally I've never had an interest in film making but evidently some still do.
Maybe it just reflects continuity, but I can't help but thinking that the agreement with the Hollywood studios a few months ago and the release of Star Wars blockbuster of all blockbusters in film to great praise and fanfare may have lifted spirits at Kodak and encouraged management to gear up marketing to target certain niches.

I am not going to buy super 8 or attend Star Wars for that matter, but it means business for Kodak and the possibility therefore that I can continue to buy Tri-X into the foreseeable future.

Old 01-06-2016   #11
jsrockit

I think the news here is not only that the film will continue to be made, but that they made new cameras...

Old 01-06-2016   #12
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Can one develop his own 8mm at home ?

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 01-06-2016   #13
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I think the news here is not only that the film will continue to be made, but that they made new cameras...
Yea'p Isn't it great!

Old 01-06-2016   #14
traveler_101
American abroad

Also the formula - "You Buy it, Shoot it, Ship it ... We Process it, Scan it, Deliver it"

is what Kodak offered when they first went into business (minus the scanning bit, of course). That we take care of it offer made popular photography possible. They are reaching back to the future.

Old 01-06-2016   #15
BLKRCAT
99% Film

YES! Kodak sure knows what we want. E6 is weezing its last breaths and Kodak is sinking money into a highly niche venture... Amazing!!

/sarcasm

Old 01-06-2016   #16
Santtu Määttänen
Visual Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
Of course, just throw it into tank as a spaghetti and add your sauce of choice. Not sure if there's "real" spirals for home development or not, but loose film methods works if there's enough agitation to keep it from sticking to it self.

Old 01-06-2016   #17
DominikDUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
YES! Kodak sure knows what we want. E6 is weezing its last breaths and Kodak is sinking money into a highly niche venture... Amazing!!

/sarcasm
Maybe its because those complaining about the demise of E6 used so little that even a super niche product like Super 8 is more profitable for Kodak than E6.

Also maybe Kodak Alaris (still film) should be asked about new E6 films and not Kodak Eastman (motion picture and graphic) the latter no longer being responsible for the choice and sale of still films.

Super 8 film can be developed at home either the bucket method or using a russian super8 film spiral and developing it like normal 35mm film in a small tank.

Old 01-06-2016   #18
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
The professional drums we had at film school were for Colenta rotary processors or large tanks. But people have been selling DIY kits for 8mm processing ever since I can remember, so there must be more affordable options.

Old 01-06-2016   #19
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikDUK View Post
Maybe its because those complaining about the demise of E6 used so little that even a super niche product like Super 8 is more profitable for Kodak than E6.

Also maybe Kodak Alaris (still film) should be asked about new E6 films and not Kodak Eastman (motion picture and graphic) the latter no longer being responsible for the choice and sale of still films.
That, for one. Another reason might be that 8mm (and 16mm) film have a very high relevance at film schools - many still expect their students to shoot at least one or two school projects on real film rather than video, to learn the aesthetics of film, cost discipline and the industry vocabulary (which is almost entirely film derived even in the HD video era). By comparison, most photo schools have entirely quit film, and those that still accept student projects shot on film (many hamper it by requiring projects to be uploaded or presented on a beamer) would hardly insist on E6...

Old 01-06-2016   #20
BLKRCAT
99% Film

I have some friends who went through film school and they opted to shoot 16mm and 35mm rather than 8mm. As far as the consumer market goes I feel like there is a far higher demand for E6 than super 8.

I saw a couple of the articles posted about it and none of them mention education and compare it all to social media. Has anyone seen any articles where they say exactly what market sector they are trying to profit from?

Also gauging market demand based on if or if not schools include it into their curriculum is far fetched to me. Students using super 8 for one project a year couldn't surpass the amount of E6 use from an avid consumer in a year.

Old 01-06-2016   #21
DominikDUK

The article in the wsj journals mentions Filmschools, pros and consumer as target market as does pretty much every blog and forum I have read so far. But you are missing the commercial and the wedding market (quiet a few wedding filmers now also offer super8 movies),until the Logmar or very high cost refurbished Beaulieu super8 Filmmaking wasn't really an option for anything more serious this has changed. The Kodak camera will also have a bigger image than standard Super 8 it will use the Max8 Format. You can also be pretty sure that Kodak has done their market research and know about the size of the Super8 and E6 market and they seem to think that Super8 will be more successful. Super8 is also a market in which they will have close to a monopoly (Foma, Wittner respooled Fuji, Kodak, Agfa are small and won't really affect them) unlike the E6 market with a big company like Fuji which rules the E6 market.

And again it is not up to Kodak Eastman to reintroduce E6 Still film it is up to Kodak Alaris. EK is not responsible for still film they only concern themselves with movie film and graphic applications that's their business and if the movie business fails you can say goodbye to every Kodak Alaris film on the market.

Old 01-06-2016   #22
fireblade
Vincenzo.

As much as super 8 may be nostalgic, i've been using 4K and it can't be beat....yet.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-06-2016   #23
JP Owens

There must be some really wealthy students at film schools. 90 seconds for between $50 and $70, is the estimated cost for film and processing. I can't believe there is an actual market for such a thing.

Old 01-06-2016   #24
traveler_101
American abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikDUK View Post
The article in the wsj journals mentions Filmschools, pros and consumer as target market as does pretty much every blog and forum I have read so far. But you are missing the commercial and the wedding market (quiet a few wedding filmers now also offer super8 movies),until the Logmar or very high cost refurbished Beaulieu super8 Filmmaking wasn't really an option for anything more serious this has changed. The Kodak camera will also have a bigger image than standard Super 8 it will use the Max8 Format. You can also be pretty sure that Kodak has done their market research and know about the size of the Super8 and E6 market and they seem to think that Super8 will be more successful. Super8 is also a market in which they will have close to a monopoly (Foma, Wittner respooled Fuji, Kodak, Agfa are small and won't really affect them) unlike the E6 market with a big company like Fuji which rules the E6 market.

And again it is not up to Kodak Eastman to reintroduce E6 Still film it is up to Kodak Alaris. EK is not responsible for still film they only concern themselves with movie film and graphic applications that's their business and if the movie business fails you can say goodbye to every Kodak Alaris film on the market.
All very good points. Before the agreement within the studios, Kodak was weeks away from shutting their film production down forever.

Old 01-06-2016   #25
joeswe

And still film? As the mini-labs seem to be closing one by one and the availability of quality processing is becoming more and more the weak point of the whole photo film infrastructure, I am surprised that Kodak is not yet offering a similar service for still film in the US by providing centralized, quality mail-in processing and scanning/printing service ... People did mail their Kodachrome or E6 film or whatever to central labs to have it processed for decades (at least that was the norm in Germany) and I cannot see why something similar shouldn't be possible with print film? I someone has the expertise for high quality processing/scanning/printing and a branding that most people would trust instantly, it would be Kodak, no?

Old 01-06-2016   #26
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Time will tell I suppose.

But I can say as a consumer with ties to the broadcast industry here, every shoot I've been on and likely will be on in the future will be shot on RED and if I want to shoot something small and insignificant like a family vacation or something I've got my cellphone for free.

Old 01-06-2016   #27
bluesun267

That's a typo--50ft of Super 8 runs 2:30 @ 24fps.

Of course it used to cost under $30 (sans the scan) up until they killed Ektachrome.

Old 01-07-2016   #28
jsrockit

I'm completely interested in this... sounds fun.

Old 01-07-2016   #29
JP Owens

Well, at least they will turn your $50 film into digital so you can actually view it.

Old 01-07-2016   #30
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
There must be some really wealthy students at film schools. 90 seconds for between $50 and $70, is the estimated cost for film and processing. I can't believe there is an actual market for such a thing.
I don't see where it says a cartridge lasts 90sec, any real numbers on how long a cartridge of super 8 lasts at 24fps ?

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 01-07-2016   #31
JP Owens

Yeah, as pointed out above, the article had a typo. You get 2 minutes 30 seconds at 24fps.

Old 01-07-2016   #32
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
My dad could get an entire year of holiday videos on a single roll of Super 8 film!
And I used to run Records Management for CBS Inc on three 288MB disk drives (the size of washing machines) back in the early '80s .......

I'm not able to see the down side of digital video. Quality of Super 8 was ok with the cameras we had, even from my iPhone 5 the video quality is IMHO much better.

Would rather sink funds into other film based fun.

B2 (;->

Old 01-07-2016   #33
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quite interesting and good initiative to get people into Motion Picture. What they should have done. The best sign out of this is their interest in Kodak itself, the legacy and giving a continuity to it.

Edit: BTW, have you noticed the retro cartridge design there in the "you buy it... we develop etc" part?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post

I'm not able to see the down side of digital video. Quality of Super 8 was ok with the cameras we had, even from my iPhone 5 the video quality is IMHO much better.

Would rather sink funds into other film based fun.

B2 (;->
Ironically the 1/3" sensors have just about the same size as a super 8 frame.
I recently got into polaroid from the Xmas giveaway here and got Medium Format as the good thing... That is quite enough for my budget

Old 01-07-2016   #34
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Very good note! I didn't think about it this way.

The way I was thinking about it, it reminds me the Minox thing. For cameras sold in Toronto the processing lab was in ... New York...