Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Stevie Nicks: The Queen of Selfies
Old 01-02-2016   #1
Jack Conrad

Stevie Nicks: The Queen of Selfies

Well, I'm impressed.

https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com...ographID=12578

Quote:
Beginning in the mid-seventies, Stevie Nicks took a series of Polaroid self-portraits in her home as well as hotel rooms around the world while on tour. Earlier this year, during the recording of her new solo album 24 Karat Gold - Songs From the Vault, she decided to share these never-before-seen self portraits. Each one of these archival pigment prints is hand-signed and numbered by Stevie Nicks.

"Some people don't sleep at night - I am one of those people. These pictures were taken long after everyone had gone to bed - I would begin after midnight and go until 4 or 5 in the morning. I stopped at sunrise - like a vampire... I never really thought anyone would ever see these pictures, they went into shoeboxes, where they remained. I did everything - I was the stylist, the makeup artist, the furniture mover, the lighting director. It was my joy - I was the model..."

- Stevie Nicks

Old 01-02-2016   #2
Pioneer

I too am impressed with these. Even as a nobody these are good. As Stevie Nicks these prints will likely sell quite well.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 01-02-2016   #3
Huss

It would be interesting to see what the prints look like. The orginals are polaroids at, what, 4.5 inches square? That original has then been scanned and now is offered at sizes 11 by 14 to 60 by 70.
Cool project by Nicks.

Old 01-02-2016   #4
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Don't mean to rain in your parade, but I don't find these interesting at all. She is a self absorbed person whose images have nothing to say, other then the fact she needed something to do to fill the night.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-02-2016   #5
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

She must have been one heck of a narcissist.

Old 01-02-2016   #6
bideford

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbg32 View Post
Don't mean to rain in your parade, but I don't find these interesting at all. She is a self absorbed person whose images have nothing to say, other then the fact she needed something to do to fill the night.
"Don't mean to rain in your parade"

But you did...

"but I don't find these interesting at all"

Why? - at least provide some commentry in relation to the actual images and era...

"She is a self absorbed person whose images have nothing to say, other then the fact she needed something to do to fill the night"

Perhaps you should refect somewhat on this last comment. Too close to home I suspect.

Apologies all round - but really?

James

Old 01-02-2016   #7
Jack Conrad

Quote:
A rhetorical question: Which would you rather discover under your bed?
A shoe box full of Stevie Nicks Polaroid selfies or a shoe box full of this
guys selfies?

The Camera Repair Man by Jack Conrad, on Flickr

Old 01-02-2016   #8
Jack Conrad

I'm impressed by the lighting, the color, the composition and the cohesiveness
of her Polaroid project.

Old 01-02-2016   #9
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by xayraa33 View Post
She must have been one heck of a narcissist.
Does someone who sells a 60 by 70 inch selfie of themselves for $10,000 make them a narcissist?

The argument in her favour is a/ she's famous and we r not and 2/ they have a historical context taken at the peak of her fame. It's not like she took them now in the age of selfie sticks.

I actually was considering swinging by the gallery to check it out, to see how a 4.5 instant inch print holds up at 12 times its native size. But I'm not sure if that would be there seeimg they say 6 weeks from the time the order is placed.

Old 01-02-2016   #10
squirrel$$$bandit

Stevie's a badass, and was a huge part of some of my favorite records. Anybody who can not merely tolerate her ex writing and recording one of the best and meanest pop songs ever about her, but can actually sing on it in front of thousands of people for the next forty years, is tough as nails, in my book.

I saw this show back in the spring; it's really fun.

Old 01-02-2016   #11
squirrel$$$bandit

The lady's an angel yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HguL2bIri1Q

Old 01-02-2016   #12
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I know who Dalida and Nina Hagen, Ella Fitzgerald and Antonella Ruggiero are.
Who the hell this "queen of selfie" is?
But I don't mind if this person is good at it...

Old 01-02-2016   #13
uhoh7

I expected to laugh, but I was impressed.

I find the jibes about her ego pretty funny. If you will get up on stage in front of thousands every night, well you prepare in the mirror. Every performer does. So polaroid selfies...what's the difference?

Many of them seem pretty honest. But photography is good at transforming real to unreal. A relaxed moment can be caught looking like despair.

Old 01-02-2016   #14
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I know who Dalida and Nina Hagen, Ella Fitzgerald and Antonella Ruggiero are.
Who the hell this "queen of selfie" is?
But I don't mind if this person is good at it...
You never heard of Fleetwood Mac? One of the biggest bands ever - sold over 100 million records.

Old 01-02-2016   #15
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Conrad View Post
A rhetorical question: Which would you rather discover under your bed?
A shoe box full of Stevie Nicks Polaroid selfies or a shoe box full of this
guys selfies?

The Camera Repair Man by Jack Conrad, on Flickr
bideford -

I'd rather discover THIS guy's selfies! Some might find Stevie's images to be interesting more for the fact of who she is, a famous singer, rather then who she is, a person. Other then the story - an insomniac who was playing around with a camera all night, I don't know her as person other then what I have read. Her images do not tell me anything about her at all. Cindy Sherman she's not. No deep psychological or historical context.

If you want to go and defend her, that's your prerogative. Nothing to get angry about. I thought this was an open discussion. Or are you just looking for people to agree with your assessment of her work?

BTW, I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but the Fleetwood Mac of the Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer days.

Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-02-2016   #16
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
I expected to laugh, but I was impressed.

I find the jibes about her ego pretty funny.
Thing is, she took these photos 40 years ago and had not displayed them until recently.
It's not like today's wannabes who instantly tweet a selfie.

Old 01-02-2016   #17
back alley
IMAGES

i love stevie nicks…she is great as a solo act as well as part of mac…she has won tons of awards and sold all kind of albums on her own.

Old 01-02-2016   #18
fireblade
Vincenzo.

From what I've read so far here, she must have toned down.
I met her 8 weeks ago, nice and pleasant to talk to.

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-02-2016   #19
squirrel$$$bandit

What!!! Seriously?

Old 01-02-2016   #20
fireblade
Vincenzo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny scarecrow View Post
John McVie? I think you'll find he was in the band for a good while. His wife at the time Christine was also in the band, but for a shorter time.

She was back in 8 weeks ago

"No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film."

Old 01-02-2016   #21
nobbylon

"Some people don't sleep at night - I am one of those people. These pictures were taken long after everyone had gone to bed - I would begin after midnight and go until 4 or 5 in the morning. I stopped at sunrise - like a vampire... I never really thought anyone would ever see these pictures, they went into shoeboxes, where they remained. I did everything - I was the stylist, the makeup artist, the furniture mover, the lighting director. It was my joy - I was the model..."

- Stevie Nicks

I laughed when I read this, maybe the proceeds of the sales will cover the cost of whatever was keeping her up until sunrise
She was so gorgeous and the music she's been involved with speaks for itself.

Old 01-02-2016   #22
btgc

Too bad they are using stupid flash for full screen display, which I don't have. I found this pictures funny and better time filler than watching TV. And learned how hair styling can change look of person, that fluffy hair she wears most if time isn't matching her at all. Pictures without fluffy hair tell different story.

Old 01-03-2016   #23
squirrel$$$bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
Oh come on you are a New Yorker! You stand on a street corner and "they" keep walking by.
I'm just a hick from upstate! 😄 I have had a few brushes with fame visiting the city, though. Watching John Waters buy some soup...Willem Dafoe walking down the street...Ed Koch eating sushi...good times...

The Mac I'm loyal to is the one that was a hit here in the US, with Nicks, Buckingham, and Christine McVie. Rumors and Tusk are huge albums for me; my last band had the same configuration, three men and two women, and lots of harmonies. Anyway, as of last month, Nicks has agreed to participate in a new album, and they are recording it.

By the way, much like another badass resurfacing seventies star, Carrie Fisher, Nicks is still beautiful.

Old 01-03-2016   #24
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Does someone who sells a 60 by 70 inch selfie of themselves for $10,000 make them a narcissist?

The argument in her favour is a/ she's famous and we r not and 2/ they have a historical context taken at the peak of her fame. It's not like she took them now in the age of selfie sticks.

I actually was considering swinging by the gallery to check it out, to see how a 4.5 instant inch print holds up at 12 times its native size. But I'm not sure if that would be there seeimg they say 6 weeks from the time the order is placed.
Either way you slice it, she is still a big time narcissist in my book.

Old 01-03-2016   #25
ray*j*gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i love stevie nicks…she is great as a solo act as well as part of mac…she has won tons of awards and sold all kind of albums on her own.
Plus one..... Fleetwood was great in large part due to Stevie....

Old 01-03-2016   #26
daveleo
what?

I love everything about Stevie Nicks.
The way she smiles.
The way she walks.
The way she sings.
The way she frowns.
The way she pouts.
The clothes she wears.
Her makeup. Her hair. Her melodies. Her voice. Her eyes.

Old 01-03-2016   #27
Timmyjoe

She was doing "Cindy Sherman" before Cindy Sherman.

I find the work interesting. She obviously put a lot of time and effort into it. And she was smokin' hot during the period these photos were made. I hope she makes good cash from the sale of the images. More power to her.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 01-03-2016   #28
uhoh7

Great thread. I was never a fan of FM and i grew up back in the day.

I liked Dylan and Jethro Tull and even the Eagles, but pretty soon i'd heard it all and discovered Charlie Parker and all that

Now i love northern soul LOL

Old 01-03-2016   #29
bideford

Quote:
bideford -

I'd rather discover THIS guy's selfies! Some might find Stevie's images to be interesting more for the fact of who she is, a famous singer, rather then who she is, a person. Other then the story - an insomniac who was playing around with a camera all night, I don't know her as person other then what I have read. Her images do not tell me anything about her at all. Cindy Sherman she's not. No deep psychological or historical context.

If you want to go and defend her, that's your prerogative. Nothing to get angry about. I thought this was an open discussion. Or are you just looking for people to agree with your assessment of her work?

BTW, I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but the Fleetwood Mac of the Peter Green, Danny Kirwan, Jeremy Spencer days.
Keith,

You seem to have missed the meaning of my post but never mind. No anger here - just a little defensive perhaps of OP's who post in good faith for forum users to enjoy, comment, whatever - with, of course, a modicum of respect. Free speech/comment is one thing - revolver forum posts another.

Your post was the latter, but clearly in the light of day you can see that. After all you confess to actually liking FM.

BTW I made no comment on SN's images - although I do find them interesting given the era - and not too bad either with a Polaroid!

Best,

James

Old 01-03-2016   #30
xayraa33

Quote:
When I got here in the '70s I was just a hick kid from the midwest.

Many people have accused Pattie Smith of being a name dropper in "Just Kids." But as she has said in interviews, she did not know the people around her were going to be so famous.

Lower Manhattan was unreal from 1975 to 1985. If I just listed now famous (or infamous) people 1) I have had a drink with, 2) had in my loft, 3) or talked to repeatedly on the street, the number would be in the many hundreds. It was simply no big deal if you were living below Canal Street.

I never met many musicians, other than the ones who lived around me, but even that was pretty amazing as I look back.

It was a moment that will probably never exist again in NYC, but the kids in Bushwick are working on it.

Surely you are not surprised, or bothered that a rock musician, has narcissistic qualities? That would be like being surprised Leica paints their cameras rather than just leaving bare metal.
I suspect that there are world famous rock stars with less narcissistic qualities.

Even Peter Green in his glory days, before he was tragically dosed, was not as narcissistic. Yes, he has not a pretty lady singer but he had bragging rights as one great guitar player back in the day.

Old 01-03-2016   #31
xayraa33

Quote:
Did you know her personally?
No I did not Fred.

Old 01-03-2016   #32
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I think the narcissism tag is pretty lame ... that's making assumptions about her (Nicks) that are based on a very narrow perception.

Old 01-03-2016   #33
xayraa33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I think the narcissism tag is pretty lame ... that's making assumptions about her (Nicks) that are based on a very narrow perception.
You are right Keith, I do not personally know her.

But I still think people who overly photograph themselves are narcissistic.

There are many other interesting things to photograph in this world other than one's self, but to each his own.

Old 01-03-2016   #34
kbg32
neo-romanticist

Quote:
Don't you find it a little hard to pin down Fleetwood Mac, they were kind of a revolving door of musicians. There were about 15 members over the years, even Kirwan was not in the first incarnation?

They always seemed like a brand in search of a band. Even "Mac" was not in the first incarnation, since he did not want to leave Mayall. (corrected a mistake there, thanks Johnny!)
I don't find it hard to pin Fleetwood Mac down at all. They didn't become a "revolving door" until Peter Green quit. They had already put out close to 5 albums by his departure. He was their guide and leader. The band originally was lost without him. John McVie didn't want to leave Mayall as it was a steady paying job. Creating a new band was an unknown.

Many people don't even know that Fleetwood Mac has been around since the late 1960s. Buckingham/Nicks was just not my thing no matter how successful they were. The early original Mac will always resonate with me. As BB King said of Peter, "...His playing, his sound...he's the only one that made me cry."

Keith’s Gallery

Old 01-03-2016   #35
Huss

Quote:
I agree. She maybe could be considered a narcissist if she had a whole team of people fixing her makeup, getting her costumes, arranging the lighting etc etc for these shoots.

But she did not. She did it all herself, including moving the furniture! And believe me people would have jumped up and done that if she gave so much as a sideways glance.

This was a fun project for her, in her private time. That remained private for 40 years. And now she thought that people may be interested in this moment in time especially as she just recorded an album called Songs from the Vault. These are pictures from the vault to go with it!

Old 01-03-2016   #36
back alley
IMAGES

narcisist is too strong...but anyone who performs for a living must like the stage, the applause...and in her case the adulation!
mac became popular when nicks and buckingham joined the band...and they were invited by the current band at the time.

Old 01-03-2016   #37
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I agree. She maybe could be considered a narcissist if she had a whole team of people fixing her makeup, getting her costumes, arranging the lighting etc etc for these shoots.

But she did not. She did it all herself, including moving the furniture! And believe me people would have jumped up and done that if she gave so much as a sideways glance.

This was a fun project for her, in her private time. That remained private for 40 years. And now she thought that people may be interested in this moment in time especially as she just recorded an album called Songs from the Vault. These are pictures from the vault to go with it!

Being who she was and her level of celebrity, these moments where she took these pics would have been some of the few times where she was in total control of what she was doing and not in the hands of some manager or publicist. Personally I applaud her actions and the motivation behind them ... she has gone up in my estimation as a person and artist.

Old 01-04-2016   #38
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Being who she was and her level of celebrity, these moments where she took these pics would have been some of the few times where she was in total control of what she was doing and not in the hands of some manager or publicist. Personally I applaud her actions and the motivation behind them ... she has gone up in my estimation as a person and artist.
Yep. Me too... She's the Princess of Polaroids.

Old 01-04-2016   #39
dwojr

Quote:

I listened to Albert King, Chester Burnett, even Coltrain in little bars when I was still underage with a fake ID, I was never really a follower of Fleetwood, too distant from my experience.
Wow you got to see Howlin Wolf? My favorite blues singer by far.

Old 01-04-2016   #40
Jack Conrad

Quote:
Come on guys, surely you can think of something you don't like, maybe, her current hair color, or her choice in restaurants? Find something!
To be honest, I was never a fan of her pop music...but I do like her selfies.
Being this is RFF, I wonder which Polaroid camera she might have used?