Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

foolish thoughts...?
Old 10-26-2015   #1
back alley
IMAGES

foolish thoughts...?

the other day, in another post, there was some discussion concerning photography being a hobby and how that impacted some in terms of gear and gear usage...as opposed to those still hopeful of having photography as a profession...
it got me thinking that part of the reason i gave up my rd1 was that it was only 6 mega pixels and i 'really' needed something 'more'...that and i was having a hard time focusing manual lenses as quickly as i once could.
my reality is that i took some of my favourite pics with an rd1 and now i wonder if i should think about getting another?
i loved everything about that camera...
i could sell or maybe trade an xe1/27 for a body...pick up a nice cv 25 or a 40 and set sail for new adventures...and hold on to the rest of my fuji kit as well...
how does photography as a hobby impact your choices?

Old 10-26-2015   #2
burancap

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
Completely. A hobby is by my definition, something that rewards one with pleasure. If I do not derive pleasure from a piece of kit (or whatever any hobby might include), it gets circular-filed. I am happy to say that I have pretty much been to the mountain top and back with my gear and I have now landed with a very basic set. The pleasure is trickling back in. I shot more this past Saturday than I have in weeks.

Old 10-26-2015   #3
blumoon

my reality is that i took some of my favourite pics with an rd1 and now i wonder if i should think about getting another?

I think you should get another R-D1, and I have a mint beauty listed in the classifieds right now.

Old 10-26-2015   #4
JP Owens

I don't think the RD-1 holds the magic. Establishing a long-term relationship with a camera is really the key, whether it's an RD-1 or XE1.

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 10-26-2015   #5
FrankS

It's a hobby, so do what makes you happy.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-26-2015   #6
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumoon View Post

I think you should get another R-D1, and I have a mint beauty listed in the classifieds right now.
yes, i saw that one...looks good.
i'd have to sell something first though...

Old 10-26-2015   #7
gb hill

I shoot the furniture market every fall & spring & carried along my Bessa RF. I became so frustrated using that camera. Being completely manual I found myself fiddling with the settings walking around going from direct sunlight into shade, the light was stunning streaming down through those tall buildings. I had to change my strategy of standing & wait. I love to walk & shoot. I wanted my SLR so bad. Came home picked up my SLR & something clicked.

So now I'm going back to my Canon AE-1p from where I started. I'm building a small kit & am going to do a social documentary project with it. I'm even at this point thinking about selling off my Bessa gear & lenses to get a Nikon F2 or F3 & a couple of lenses. Leaning toward the F2, what a stunning mechanical camera. So for me that is where I'm at right now.

Old 10-26-2015   #8
Ben Z

Quote:
It impacts what, how much and how often I buy, as these are not moneymaking tools, and in this day of digital the old paradigm of residual value isn't what it used to be.

I have not upgraded from the MK 1 5D because I am not in competition to sell my images, so 2004 technology works as well for me today as it did then. It's especially true with Leica given the cost. All my lenses are older, bought before the company started price gouging. I will not likely upgrade from the M240 for a long time. Never, if Leica abandons or electronifies the rangefinder.

Old 10-26-2015   #9
f16sunshine

Hi Joe

I fully understand how it feels to look back at old images and credit the old gear for taking them.
The reality is that the photographer took them. Credit the gear all you want. At the end of the day it has little impact on the images you find and bring back.
I've been tempted by inexpensive RD1's since the day I traded you my last one (2012).
Getting one won't change that I have changed and so has the world I photograph.
If you just wish for the pleasure using the machine brings than maybe go for it.
It's one of those itches only action can scratch.
OTOH,..If you think it can bring back something that you feel is missing you may be disappointed.
What you may realy need is what we all probably really need....some new favorite pics to look back at.

Best!

Old 10-26-2015   #10
Out to Lunch

The Epson R-D1...s...x.... It's a winner. Whenever I come back from an extended photo trip, the Epson often outshines the competition. I'd get a minty one from Japan. Perhaps some RFF members can help to source the right one for you.

Old 10-26-2015   #11
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Z View Post
I have not upgraded from the MK 1 5D because I am not in competition to sell my images, so 2004 technology works as well for me today as it did then. ...
I was using 5D yesterday at BD party and was asked to take portraits before and after.
No problems with taking pictures, fast and easy. Absolutely usable ISO1600 and 3200 if with flash or enough light. The only problem it is so huge and heavy.
Just wearing camera, zoom and flash kit on the neck strap starting to feel like workout after five minutes.
No way to sit with it by the dining table, or place it nearby...

I don't think R-D1 single digit MPs are the limit if most of the pictures to bee seen on the computer screen. I'm downsizing my cameras files to 2800 pixels and no problems with screen viewing and printing at most common sizes.

4 seconds writing and 50 frames per battery is perfect for mediations with camera.
I'm self debating between R-D1, Fuji X series and M8. Two are available locally and this is how I could buy/trade for now. But I keep on thinking of R-D1, which is very rare to find locally as something I would really like as film M user.

Old 10-26-2015   #12
Godfrey
somewhat colored

If an R-D1 is what punches the clock for you, why not?

Photography as hobby, avocation, even business ... Get ahold of the gear that lets you stop thinking about the gear* and just get on with the photography. To really excel at any of these kinds of endeavors means you have little energy to waste being distracted by or fighting with the gear.

* unless your passion really is the gear .. And there's nothing wrong with that, just don't fool yourself into calling it Photography. :-)

G

Old 10-26-2015   #13
gb hill

Joe if I recall at one time you had 2 R-D1's in your stable. Think back to the reason why you got rid of them both in the 1st place & do you really want to sell off the Fuji?

Old 10-26-2015   #14
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Joe if I recall at one time you had 2 R-D1's in your stable. Think back to the reason why you got rid of them both in the 1st place & do you really want to sell off the Fuji?
i sold the rd1s basically for 3 reasons...the least was the 6mp limit...but it mostly was that i couldn't focus as fast as i once could...that was a combination of my eyesight and arthritis in my hands (on the bad days)...
the xe1 was the 'best' digital to replace the rd1 as it most closely resembled the rf experience for me.

Old 10-26-2015   #15
FrankS

Quote:
i sold the rd1s basically for 3 reasons...the least was the 6mp limit...but it mostly was that i couldn't focus as fast as i once could...that was a combination of my eyesight and arthritis in my hands (on the bad days)...
the xe1 was the 'best' digital to replace the rd1 as it most closely resembled the rf experience for me.
Has anything changed?

Old 10-26-2015   #16
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Has anything changed?
If it has I need some of what Joe's taking for my shoulder. It's been killing me lately.

Old 10-26-2015   #17
back alley
IMAGES

voltaren...not a miracle but it does help...

no, not a big enough change to go backwards...

Old 10-26-2015   #18
f16sunshine

I Read your signature line.
Xe-1 27mm
Xe-2 16/23/56 mm

I think you're set!
The rd1 has not become any easier to focus.
It's issues are the same and maybe worse.

It still does not have any chance of wifi transfer (ok a wifi card but only for the rd1x model).

Batteries suck and will become scarce.
2gig cards ?? Really?

The swivel screens are suspect and can die from simple disconnection at any time.

RF alignment is easy to loose (easy to adjust too)

Service can cost as much as a camera and is not exactly right around the corner.

Just Being the devil here Joe... It's not all roses.
Having rowed the same boat.... If it was all roses you would never have left it...

Just saying

Old 10-26-2015   #19
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by f16sunshine View Post
I Read your signature line.
Xe-1 27mm
Xe-2 16/23/56 mm

I think you're set!
The rd1 has not become any easier to focus.
It's issues are the same and maybe worse.

It still does not have any chance of wifi transfer (ok a wifi card but only for the rd1x model).

Batteries suck and will become scarce.
2gig cards ?? Really?

The swivel screens are suspect and can die from simple disconnection at any time.

RF alignment is easy to loose (easy to adjust too)

Service can cost as much as a camera and is not exactly right around the corner.

Just Being the devil here Joe... It's not all roses.
Having rowed the same boat.... If it was all roses you would never have left it...

Just saying
you're killin' my buzz man! ...lol...

Old 10-26-2015   #20
Paulbe

Greg--the F3 is a MUCH better camera(IMO)! Easier to use than the F2, more modern meter and was built specifically to handle the MD4 motor. Great prices on those cameras these days. The F2 is great mechanically, but the F3 is easier to get along with. Hard to go wrong with an F3.
Paul

Old 10-26-2015   #21
gb hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulbe View Post
Greg--the F3 is a MUCH better camera(IMO)! Easier to use than the F2, more modern meter and was built specifically to handle the MD4 motor. Great prices on those cameras these days. The F2 is great mechanically, but the F3 is easier to get along with. Hard to go wrong with an F3.
Paul
Thanks Paul. I was thinking of the all mechanical, except the meter of the F2. over the F3. Not interested in a motor drive but I understand the F3 has a 100% view finder. Right now just speculating. I'll do more research but both are awesome camera's.

Old 10-26-2015   #22
BLKRCAT
99% Film

being someone who shoots film 100% of the time, I had an RD1 and used it to fund a BP M body. I still miss the RD1 every now and then.

Old 10-26-2015   #23
MCTuomey

joe, it sounds like nostalgia's got a hook into you, a bit anyway. me, i wouldn't do it though, like you, i owned and enjoyed an rd1. my eyes and dexterity aren't getting better and manual focus with an RF isn't getting easier, so i'm in migration to EVF and AF gear. i prefer the feel of RF gear to all other gear. but for what and where i'm shooting i can't get the shots i want with RF gear, so i have to move on.

My Flickr

Old 10-26-2015   #24
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
joe, it sounds like nostalgia's got a hook into you, a bit anyway. me, i wouldn't do it though, like you, i owned and enjoyed an rd1. my eyes and dexterity aren't getting better and manual focus with an RF isn't getting easier, so i'm in migration to EVF and AF gear. i prefer the feel of RF gear to all other gear. but for what and where i'm shooting i can't get the shots i want with RF gear, so i have to move on.
probably right...i quite like the fuji gear and the images it is capable of...and i have a great kit...i even have 2 bags that i really like!!

Old 10-26-2015   #25
FrankS

Quote:
probably right...i quite like the fuji gear and the images it is capable of...and i have a great kit...i even have 2 bags that i really like!!
Living the dream!

Old 10-26-2015   #26
lxmike
Barnack fan

thanks for starting this thread, l have used bought, sold, and wished for far too many cameras, each l thought would suit my style or a certain project, likewise now l am happy with my fuji gear, for old time sake l bought a Pentax Mv and although l do not use it l enjoy holding it and thinking back to 1981 when the MV was my first SLR. I still shoot regularly with Fuji bit have decided to return to film via the Bronica route

Glass currently in regular use: Voigtlander 15mm 4.5 Helliar

Soon to arrive Leica MDa

myblog:lifefromawindow

Old 10-27-2015   #27
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

I've spent an absurd amount of money on cameras for my hobby over the years. Got one of these and then liked one of those, sold the one of these to get the one of those, got flush and bought this to go with one of those but started missing one of these so bought one of these again. Then that came out and i just had to have it so I sold one of those to get that. Found out that the pix that one of those could make out shown anything I got from that so I sold that and bought one of those again. This is what a hobby allows you to do, leave all your senses behind and play. I'm on my third RD1, I'd say final but I really would like to get an RD1x. Oh Lord here we go again!

Old 10-27-2015   #28
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
Thanks Paul. I was thinking of the all mechanical, except the meter of the F2. over the F3. Not interested in a motor drive but I understand the F3 has a 100% view finder. Right now just speculating. I'll do more research but both are awesome camera's.
All Nikon F series cameras (F, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6) have 100% coverage viewfinders.

All mechanical ... I have plain prism F. Superb, tough as nails. F2, same.

F3 is electronic but same.

Never was into F4 or F5.

Bought F6 some months ago ... again superb.

After using the F6 for a while, I thought I'd get a digital complement and bought the D750. By comparison, it's a dud. Oh, good camera, works well, but lacks any of the F series feel, to me anyway. I'd rather shoot with the F or F6, or my Leicaflex SL.

G

Old 10-27-2015   #29
FrankS

I've got 2 too many F2's.

Old 10-27-2015   #30
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Significantly... In the words of Aldo Leopold:

'At first blush I am tempted to conclude that a satisfactory hobby must be in large degree useless, inefficient, laborious, or irrelevant. ...This, however, is serious: Becoming serious is a grievous fault in hobbyists. It is an axiom that no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To wish to do it is reason enough.'

I used to buy gear because I thought it was the best gear to 'get the shot'. But then I realised I'm not a pro, I don't do this for a living, and at the end of the day I don't really care if I get the shot. I shoot because I like shooting, not because it gets me somewhere.

Now I just buy what I enjoy.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 10-27-2015   #31
FrankS

I like the experience of shooting with a variety of cameras.
Monogamy is only for marriage, not cameras.