Summitar or Elmar 2.8 ltm
Old 10-25-2015   #1
bucs

Summitar or Elmar 2.8 ltm

I'm deciding which to keep. I've used both and I like how the summitar renders especially when using color film. But I do a lot of portraits and i feel that the elmar 2.8 shines in this regard.

When i say portraits, i mean up close and wide open. The elmar's oof areas are smoother. I'd like to keep one only since I tend to stick to one lens.

Old 10-25-2015   #2
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucs View Post
I'm deciding which to keep. I've used both and I like how the summitar renders especially when using color film. But I do a lot of portraits and i feel that the elmar 2.8 shines in this regard.

When i say portraits, i mean up close and wide open. The elmar's oof areas are smoother. I'd like to keep one only since I tend to stick to one lens.
Sounds like you have outgrown the one-lens approach. Time to be a two-lens guy!

Old 10-25-2015   #3
raydm6

Nathan, I've never used the Elmar 2.8 but these (if it helps) are Summitar shots (albeit not wide open - more like f8 and group shots indoors/outdoors) using Kodak Gold 200. The Summitar is a 1949 coated version.

Cousins #1 by rdc154, on Flickr

Cousins #2 by rdc154, on Flickr

Cousins #3 by rdc154, on Flickr

Cousins #4 by rdc154, on Flickr

Cousins #5
by rdc154, on Flickr

Cousins #6
by rdc154, on Flickr

Cousins #7 by rdc154, on Flickr

Old 10-30-2015   #4
traveler_101
American abroad

Some nice shots with the Summitar. The lady to the left in the first photograph looks a lot like my old Italian aunt.

Id the Summitar better than the Elmar for black and white?

Old 10-30-2015   #5
FrankS

Take more time to decide while you use both and really get to know them.
Then you won't have to ask others to make up your mind.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-30-2015   #6
maxmadco

I agree with FrankS and what is the rush to sell a lens you like?
You may regret it.

Old 10-30-2015   #7
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

I would sell both and get Cron or Scopar 50 2.5 (also ltm and will get you closer at 0.75m).

Old 10-30-2015   #8
Erik van Straten

The Elmar 50mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I prefer it to the Summitar 50mm f/2. The Summitar suffers from pincushion distortion. The Elmar is a stop slower, but also easier to handle. I would choose the Elmar 50mm f/2.8.

Erik.

Old 10-31-2015   #9
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
The Elmar 50mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I prefer it to the Summitar 50mm f/2. The Summitar suffers from pincushion distortion. The Elmar is a stop slower, but also easier to handle. I would choose the Elmar 50mm f/2.8.

Erik.
Me too. Also, my Elmar is at least as sharp as my Summicron, at the same f-stops.

Roland.

Old 11-07-2015   #10
Bingley

I had the Elmar 2.8 ltm and have a couple of Summitars now. The Elmar is a fine lens but I didn't like the fact that the aperture ring rotates when you turn the focusing ring. A post-war coated Summitar is a lovely lens for b&w. I haven't noticed pincushion distortion on my sample but I haven't looked for it either. Lots of photos with the Summitar over on my Flickr. I prefer the CV 50/2.5 to the Elmar 2.8 - I think it's sharper and has better flare resistance. It's also more compact in use.

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 11-07-2015   #11
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingley View Post
ring. A post-war coated Summitar is a lovely lens for b&w. I haven't noticed pincushion distortion on my sample but I haven't looked for it either.
It would be interesting to know if the post war coated Summitar is better corrected for pincushion distortion. My uncoated 508151 suffers badly from this. Because I like straight lines in my pictures, it is for me unusable.

Erik.

Old 11-09-2015   #12
aoresteen

I understand your issue. I have two normal lenses for my IIIf. A Canon 50mm f.1.8 and an Industar 55 f/2.8. I kept them both because they do different tasks.

Just keep them both. Whichever one you sell you will regret it and end up getting it back. Like I did !
Cambo 23F 6x9, Olympus OM, Pentax M42, 6x6 & 6x7

De Oppresso Liber

Old 11-25-2015   #13
Liquid Fusion

Just bought a Summitar 50mm F2!!! Like how it "pops" subjects into the image with intense energy. Nice shots.

Before you decide, you really ought to try shooting Fujicolor 200 - set at ASA 100. Then open up a few extra stops using the "Sunny 16 Rule."

Example: bright sunny day F16 at 1/ASA = F16 at 1 100 (halving the ASA 200). Then open up to F 11 and even F8 - bracket shots. Reference: Metering For Film.
Now make your choice.

Indoor photos have yellow tint. Kodak Gold?

Old 11-25-2015   #14
rfaspen

Let me just say I don't understand this "one lens guy" stuff. Is there really any reason why you can't keep both lenses. I mean, you already have them in possession, you already identified strengths for each, and they hardly take up space.

So I say, keep em both. Use em both. Show us what they can do.

Oddly I don't own either of those lenses. I've come very close to getting the summitar several times. I don't really know the 2.8 elmar. Maybe I should. My 3.5 elmar is a capable lens that doesn't get the attention it deserves. Some would say that's because I have too many lenses. Um, well, more than 2 anyway.