Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Craigslist Scam
Old 10-16-2015   #1
blumoon

Craigslist Scam

I listed a Leica Elmarit lens on Craigslist.
Check out the ridiculous email I received.
Do they really believe anyone would fall for this scam??

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response, My Name is Tammy., actually I am sorry that I could not longer come to pick it in person as planned, I actually just had a change in my work schedule but I believe am ok with the condition as seen on the advert as well as the price stated. I am ready to make instant purchase with my mode of payment would being a Certified Bank Check via Postal service Express mail or UPS overnight delivery.

I have my own local pick up that will come over to pick up the item from your place as soon as you receive check, cashed it and have your money in hand, I promise you everything will go smoothly as I would like to have it before my wedding anniversary which comes in a week.Kindly get back to me with your

*Full Name
*Full mailing Address
*Cell Phone Number and Agreed price.

As soon as this is provided, payment will be overnight to you and I will let you know once mailed out with tracking number sent to you. I will also add an additional $40 for holding it for me till the Check gets to you and delete the posting from CL today.

Thanks and I hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards
Tammy Hinds

Old 10-16-2015   #2
Timmyjoe

Every time I've ever listed something for sale on Craigslist I've gotten scam responses/emails like that. I think they're computer generated and just go to every sale listed on the site. Craigslist was started as kind of a hippie community deal, which I appreciate, but their security is not so good.

I just ignore those.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-16-2015   #3
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

I always get those, but you can't really get hurt on Craigslist, unless someone gives you counterfeit money.

Old 10-16-2015   #4
Timmyjoe

Those Certified Bank Checks are a scam, they're counterfeit. You cash the check, the money shows up in your account, but when your bank sends it through the processing it gets flagged as counterfeit, but it can take up to a week. So you think you have the money, you give the buyer the goods, but then it comes up as counterfeit and you are out the money, and the goods, and in extreme cases you can even be charged with passing counterfeit checks (which you can usually get out of).

As much as I don't like certain things about PayPal, I only accept that or cash.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 10-16-2015   #5
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Those Certified Bank Checks are a scam, they're counterfeit. You cash the check, the money shows up in your account, but when your bank sends it through the processing it gets flagged as counterfeit, but it can take up to a week. So you think you have the money, you give the buyer the goods, but then it comes up as counterfeit and you are out the money, and the goods, and in extreme cases you can even be charged with passing counterfeit checks (which you can usually get out of).

As much as I don't like certain things about PayPal, I only accept that or cash.

Usually they don't even pick up, the entire thing is based on sending you a large check and then asking for you to return part of it, via Western Union. There is really no way for most of them to pick up, since they are in an internet cafe in Nigeria.

Old 10-16-2015   #6
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I have heard about the check scam that Photomoof mentions several times. It's an old trick too. To be honest, I didn't like the Craigslist style ever since I saw it the first time, though a while ago I did sell a lens through it. I got several weird offers (one guy offering to send his secretary to pick up the lens BEFORE sending payment) but turned them all down. In the end, one guy sent payment through PP and that just did it.

Never bothered with Craigslist again... and never will. Fun to look it, yes. There are guys offering Nikon N80 cameras with kit lenses for $400!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 10-16-2015   #7
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

With craigslist I only deal in cash and in person at a meeting place that I choose which is always indoors. I never meet where the buyer wants me to nor will I accept any other form of payment..

I ignore emails like the one mentioned here..

One other thing I do is tell in the ad that the prospective buyer must reveal the area of town he/she lives in. If not, I ignore the email..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 10-16-2015   #8
Dpingr1

Craigslist is a great way to sell merchandise locally. You just have to limit yourself to face-to-face transactions with local buyers in cash. I have always received those kinds of emails. They are a reality of the modern information society -- just ignore them. I've sold several cars and other items via Craigslist with no problems at all. Use common sense, and you'll be fine.

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -- H. D. T.

Old 10-16-2015   #9
harpofreely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpingr1 View Post
Craigslist is a great way to sell merchandise locally. You just have to limit yourself to face-to-face transactions with local buyers in cash. I have always received those kinds of emails. They are a reality of the modern information society -- just ignore them. I've sold several cars and other items via Craigslist with no problems at all. Use common sense, and you'll be fine.
This is my experience as well - stick to local, face-to-face, cash, public meet - never had any issues as buyer or seller.

- Henry David Thoreau

Old 10-16-2015   #10
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpofreely View Post
This is my experience as well - stick to local, face-to-face, cash, public meet - never had any issues as buyer or seller.
I've gone so far as to meet in my bank lobby one time for a $multi-k lens sale.
The buyer. Left with the lens and the cash stayed at my bank.
Well... some of it. The point is, the entire process was safe for both parties.

Old 10-16-2015   #11
Dpingr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bojic View Post
I always answer those emails and play a little.

I once reveived a private sms with a foreign number, the person offered to see the lens in person. I was so tired of scammers that I told the guy that I'd let him see the lens only if he let me sleep with his wife, first. It turned out he was a local man using private sms to protect his privacy. He simply never answered. He probably thought I was the scammer.
The whole thing made me giggle.
What if he'd said yes? Then we would know how far a guy with GAS would go to get a good lens.

"Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in." -- H. D. T.

Old 10-16-2015   #12
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolaresLarrave View Post
I have heard about the check scam that Photomoof mentions several times. It's an old trick too. To be honest, I didn't like the Craigslist style ever since I saw it the first time, though a while ago I did sell a lens through it. I got several weird offers (one guy offering to send his secretary to pick up the lens BEFORE sending payment) but turned them all down. In the end, one guy sent payment through PP and that just did it.

Never bothered with Craigslist again... and never will. Fun to look it, yes. There are guys offering Nikon N80 cameras with kit lenses for $400!
I sell on CL all the time, never a problem. On household items like sofas and stuff they have to come to my home, never an issue, I always talk on the phone first.

Cameras, I usually meet at my bank where there are sofas, unless I can verify the person, but the NYC photo world is small and it is surprising how many know my friends or I know theirs.

Without exception, everyone who has bought from me in NYC has been great. No problems, but I realize this is a low crime city, where people are used to a lot of interpersonal interaction in public.