Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Kodak Retina IIIc advice welcome
Old 10-14-2015   #1
Bilwar

Kodak Retina IIIc advice welcome

Hi,

I inherited a Kodak Retina IIIc camera, along with extra lenses, my previous camera was a Kodak Instamatic and then a Windows Phone camera.

I love taking pictures, looking forward to using the camera, just would like advice on how and when to use the various lenses and accessories

From my own research, it is one of the later models, probably made about the time I was born, hehe.

The lens currently in the camera is an f2.0 50mm also have a telephoto lens and a yellow filter and a f4 35mm lens and a F V II/ 32 lens and a Daylight filter No. 85 C for Type F Color Films

Any advice people can give me would be welcome. Locally I will be able to buy 200 or 400 speed film

Would also appreciate instructions on how to install the various lenses if possible, thanks

Old 10-14-2015   #2
FrankS

Hello and welcome to rff.
I just bought a lllc last week, but have owned a couple of lla's in the past.

Given your experience, I'd suggest you set aside the supplementary lenses for a bit, and get yourself used to rangefinder focusing and manual exposure setting with the basic camera with normal (50mm) lens.

Our cameras have an EV interlock. When you adjust the shutter speed, the aperture setting changes along with it to maintain the same exposure. You must move a little tab near the aperture setting outwards to unlock the 2.

The camera has an uncoupled exposure meter built in, but it's accuracy is unknown at this point and its exposure recommendations need to be manually set on the camera. This does not happen automatically.

Best to get a handheld light meter or a light meter app for your smart phone.

Do some reading about manual exposure settings (shutter speeds/aperture) on the Internet.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may generate from your readings.

If you're dying to expose some film, get a roll of 400iso.

If you are outside on a sunny day with your subject in the sun .(not shade) set the exposure controls on the lens to f11 and 1/500sec, focus on your subject, compose, and shoot.

If your subject is outdoors in the shade, set exposure to f8 and 1/125sec.

If you are shooting in the evening under artificial light, set the exposure to f2 and 1/30sec.

These settings are just guidelines and should provide useful results, but a light meter is best.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-14-2015   #3
FrankS

Manual here: http://www.butkus.org/chinon/kodak/r...iic-splash.htm

Some points:
-Return the distance setting on the lens to infinity before closing the camera. Never force anything.
-Be gentle with the film advance as the shutter cocking system is not very robust and a common fail point. Never force anything.
-The film counter is a count down type. Set the number of exposures when loading the film. (Usually 24 or 36)

photography makes me happy

Old 10-14-2015   #4
citizen99

More information here :-)

Old 10-14-2015   #5
Beemermark

Two words of caution, one is the lens has to set to infinity to properly close. Two, the cocking rack (internal to the camera) is the weak link of the camera, it will strip the gears if forced. So be gentle when using the winding lever.

Old 10-14-2015   #6
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

The Schneider lens is top notch and won't let you down..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 10-14-2015   #7
Bilwar

Thanks for the info all, that site dedicated to them is the one that told me mine is a later model. Not sure if I will get out to take pictures before spring, but, by then, should have a tripod and a light meter

I will practice and might even post a picture or two
Thanks again