Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Ebay making Seller Friendly Changes
Old 09-10-2015   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Ebay making Seller Friendly Changes

Its about time!

Details here

What do you think?

Old 09-10-2015   #2
Huss

Has the return window changed? Before it was 3 months which is ridiculous. Sorry, I have not had time to read through all the stuff...

Old 09-10-2015   #3
Ranchu
-

As a buyer this is all I really care about..

"Sellers should try and work with their buyers to resolve return requests without the need for eBay to step in and help. As a seller, after you review the return request, you can choose to offer a full or partial refund, replacement or exchange. If the buyer is satisfied and does not contact eBay for help—the return will not count as a defect. The return request will only count as a defect if the buyer asks eBay to step in and help and eBay finds the seller responsible. If eBay closes the case in favor of the seller or determines that no one is at fault—it will not count as a defect."

Also..

http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformat...-1&#faq=faq-58

Old 09-10-2015   #4
Ranchu
-

Also, the way ebay keeps changing things every 9 months, like Marissa Mayer they don't seem to have any idea what they're doing.

lol.

Old 09-10-2015   #5
f16sunshine

Marisa only waits days when it comes to Flikr.
It seems like it's been one Beta after another since she took over.

Old 09-10-2015   #6
ironhorse
Joe DuPont

I sold an item for the first time and was highly annoyed to find that the fee was 10% of the purchase price and because the buyer picked up the item in person, I had to wait 3 weeks for PayPal to release the money to me.

Probably the last time I will sell anything there.

Joe

"The whole point of taking pictures is so that you donít have to explain things with words." - Elliott Erwitt

Old 09-10-2015   #7
Corran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse View Post
I sold an item for the first time and was highly annoyed to find that the fee was 10% of the purchase price.
What did you expect? To not pay for the service of using the largest marketplace in the world?

Once you establish yourself as a seller you don't have to wait 3 weeks.

eBay has problems but people complaining about their policies after making one sale is always a bit funny.

Old 09-10-2015   #8
ironhorse
Joe DuPont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
What did you expect? To not pay for the service of using the largest marketplace in the world?

Once you establish yourself as a seller you don't have to wait 3 weeks.

eBay has problems but people complaining about their policies after making one sale is always a bit funny.
Just saying that a 10% fee I find too high and waiting 3 weeks for payment is too long for any selling I may do. I will stick with RFF classifieds and craigs list.

Joe

"The whole point of taking pictures is so that you donít have to explain things with words." - Elliott Erwitt

Old 09-10-2015   #9
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

I like the new changes; they appear to be trying to focus on the issues that matter. The changes don't, however, deal with another Ebay issue I find irritating... allowed time for payments and refunds. I've sold things there and the buyer takes a week or two before they pay, and if they don't, the eBay resolution process takes weeks more. Same lengthy process happens when I had to return something. Stupid. The policy should be something like two days max to pay, PayPal only. If not, lowered rating of BUYER and automatic relisting. And refunds should be treated the same: SELLER gets two days to issue PayPal refund once returned item is received.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-10-2015   #10
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
I had to wait 3 weeks for PayPal to release the money to me.
The reason for this is because new sellers were coming in and selling their wares then taking the money and running off without shipping..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-10-2015   #11
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Pillers View Post
I like the new changes; they appear to be trying to focus on the issues that matter. The changes don't, however, deal with another Ebay issue I find irritating... allowed time for payments and refunds. I've sold things there and the buyer takes a week or two before they pay, and if they don't, the eBay resolution process takes weeks more. Same lengthy process happens when I had to return something. Stupid. The policy should be something like two days max to pay, PayPal only. If not, lowered rating of BUYER and automatic relisting. And refunds should be treated the same: SELLER gets two days to issue PayPal refund once returned item is received.
This is why I went to a BIN option only with payment due at the time of purchase or the sale stays active till someone does pay..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 09-10-2015   #12
farlymac
PF McFarland

I hope it stops some of the sellers that wait two or three days before they even make up a packing label, and then another three days or more before they finally hoof it down to the Post Office. The worst one was two weeks, and this was after I contacted them, and then eBay.

Lately though most of the sellers I've dealt with have been quick to get their items on the way. But some of them don't use tracking, or they post some useless number just to say it was shipped. They could at least use the Customs Form number if it's an overseas shipment.

PF

Old 09-10-2015   #13
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
This is why I went to a BIN option only with payment due at the time of purchase or the sale stays active till someone does pay..
Ah... I've not seen that option before. I'll look for it next time. Thanks.

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-10-2015   #14
Antielectrons

I used to buy and sell a lot on eBay but have gradually wound down my activity.

Old 09-11-2015   #15
enasniearth

More smoke and mirrors ,

Honestly , paypal still has a 180 day return window .
Why would you sign on to that?
And ebay requires you to take paypal.

10% ebay 2.9-3.9% paypal .
When you have a return I think you still have to fill out paperwork to
Get your 10% back ,
It should be automatic as part of a return .

I don't see anything new here .

Ebay wants to be another amazon ,
So the most important thing for them is a seamless process over the
Entire site .
So all buyers have the exact same experience .

I would only sell sell items that are lower in value on ebay ,
To limit risk .

Old 09-12-2015   #16
Fraser

I've started selling again on ebay and it is a great place for getting good prices but my main gripe as a seller is the buyers that want a great deal but at the same time want the guarantee of a shop.

Old 11-21-2015   #17
filmdood
-

In my opinion the service is for buyers and sellers get it in the neck. I won't use it to sell.

Old 11-21-2015   #18
David Hughes
David Hughes

Quote:
I sold an item for the first time and was highly annoyed to find that the fee was 10% of the purchase price and because the buyer picked up the item in person, I had to wait 3 weeks for PayPal to release the money to me.

Hi,

The simple answer is to make them pay cash if they want to collect. Otherwise they could collect and then demand and get a refund but not return the goods.

Regards, David

Old 11-24-2015   #19
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hughes View Post
Hi,

The simple answer is to make them pay cash if they want to collect. Otherwise they could collect and then demand and get a refund but not return the goods.

Regards, David
I offer cash or credit card, as required by eBay. There is a credit card machine a few blocks from my house, the buyer is welcome to use that. I also make them sign a receipt, for ebay.

Old 11-24-2015   #20
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:

I remember selling a camera on consignment at a local photo store some 25 or 30 years ago. The fee then was 15% of the selling price. So 10% in 2015 seems reasonable. And if you or I had a brick and mortar store, we would have to figure in the cost of rent, utilities and taxes, wouldn't we? when you look at it this way, even the additional 3% paypal charge doesn't seem so bad.