Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Canon's new 250 megapixel APS-H Sensor
Old 09-06-2015   #1
JP Owens

Canon's new 250 megapixel APS-H Sensor

And the beat goes on...

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/09/cano...l-aps-h-sensor

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."

Old 09-06-2015   #2
lynnb

I'm sure the surveillance/security market will keep on driving demand. The eventual filtering down of technology to consumer products will no doubt happen - but my thoughts are that the future of most consumer imaging will continue to be in smaller sensor iPhone and similar devices.

Great for landscapers wanting to make really big prints, though. Not that prints are a growth market!
Flickr

Old 09-06-2015   #3
JP Owens

I agree. Most photographers have no practical use for 250 mp. In fact, 25 mp is more than just about anyone needs. But, I suspect that cameras will continue the megapixel increases, anyway. Sony is advancing the technology in a lot of ways important to photographers beyond megapixels. Five axis IBIS, super-high ISO, 4K video.

Within another generation or two of cameras, though, I think we will have reached the limit of what any future technology changes can make in the technical appearance of the photos we take. Doesn't bode well for camera makers. I'm happy with three or four year old digital cameras, now.

Old 09-06-2015   #4
Kate-the-Great

Wow. What strikes me most about this is that the 35mm 1.4 II was able to resolve anything remotely close to the sensor resolution. I'm curious how lens-limited this sensor is, considering that certain L-series Canon lenses (cough*original16-35*cough) are inadequate for even, oh, say, a 16MP 135 sensor. Apparently planning for the 5Ds has forced Canon to seriously step up their lens game recently!
Fuji X-E1 ~ Canon Serenar 28mm f/3.5
Canon 5D "Classic" ~ Canon 40mm f/2.8
And various lenses...
Nikkor-S 35mm 2.8 ~ Nikkor-S 50mm 1.4 ~ Micro-Nikkor 55mm 3.5 ~ Zoom-Nikkor 43-86mm 3.5 ~ Industar-61 53mm 2.8

Old 09-06-2015   #5
mfogiel

Finally we are getting closer to making a one shot scanner for medium format.

Old 09-07-2015   #6
JP Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate-the-Great View Post
Wow. What strikes me most about this is that the 35mm 1.4 II was able to resolve anything remotely close to the sensor resolution. I'm curious how lens-limited this sensor is, considering that certain L-series Canon lenses (cough*original16-35*cough) are inadequate for even, oh, say, a 16MP 135 sensor. Apparently planning for the 5Ds has forced Canon to seriously step up their lens game recently!
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps the much higher prices of the latest versions of the L glass is explained by Canon's need to resolve everything their next generation sensors can throw at them. And, it is pretty amazing that they can actually process the data from 250 megapixels at 5 fps.

Old 09-07-2015   #7
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

That site is well named. It would appear to have bugger-all to do with film. Digital video, maybe.

Old 09-07-2015   #8
esearing

I'd be happy with a large 4x5 sensor that is only 50MP or less that I could use on my field camera without tethering to a computer. Something about the size of a polaroid holder or IPAD mini. Single shot capture, no video required.

Old 09-07-2015   #9
Prest_400
Multiformat

Quote:
Originally Posted by esearing View Post
I'd be happy with a large 4x5 sensor that is only 50MP or less that I could use on my field camera without tethering to a computer. Something about the size of a polaroid holder or IPAD mini. Single shot capture, no video required.

The problem of that is that it requires a larger size within the silicon wafer, thus it would be much more $$$.
Easier to cram more pixels into a given normal sized sensor. They are slowly improving it, mostly I guess due to the tiny sensor modules for phones which isn't (pun) such a tiny market.

It is interesting to see what these diminute sensors are capable to do nowadays. Well, the standard of 1/3" is akin to super8 in size IIRC.
Writing in a thing that has one of these...

<Beamed through Tapatalk relay>