Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Kodak Retina Reflex III repair/CLA?
Old 08-26-2015   #1
Chadinko
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Kodak Retina Reflex III repair/CLA?

Does anyone know someone who might be able to do a CLA or a repair on my Retina Reflex III? It's cosmetically perfect, but the shutter/aperture rings are really stiff and I don't want to force it and possibly break it completely. Winds and fires well, and the shutter speeds seem on, as well. Just stiff.

Old 08-26-2015   #2
Livesteamer

Good Luck. I've heard most repair folks do not like working on the Retina Reflex. Time consuming. Joe

Old 08-26-2015   #3
citizen99

They're certainly complex beasts.You might find Chris Sherlock's site helpful.

Old 08-26-2015   #4
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Chris http://retinarescue.com/ is the best when it comes to Retina.. He worked for Kodak at one time so he knows his way around the Retinas..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-28-2015   #5
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

You could DIY it, not done one of those myself but i would think that collimating the lens again would be the only really tricky bit. The rings were really stiff on my Zeiss Contessa, didn't find a lot of dirt/grit in there, but I wiped the sliding surfaces of the rings with some kitchen paper with a bit of WD40 sprayed onto it, so it left just the tiniest bit of lube behind.

Old 08-28-2015   #6
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrod View Post
You could DIY it, not done one of those myself but i would think that collimating the lens again would be the only really tricky bit. The rings were really stiff on my Zeiss Contessa, didn't find a lot of dirt/grit in there, but I wiped the sliding surfaces of the rings with some kitchen paper with a bit of WD40 sprayed onto it, so it left just the tiniest bit of lube behind.
You obviously don't know anything about the Retina Reflex and camera repair.

The Retina is a somewhat complex camera and taking apart one part will create issues if you don't know how to properly re-align it and WD-40 has destroyed many otherwise fine and repairable cameras..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 08-29-2015   #7
johnnyrod
More cameras than shots

No I don't know anything about the Retina Reflex but some of these things turn out to be less difficult than you think. Up to the OP on that one though. As for WD40, I know enough not to spray it anywhere near the camera, but for what it's worth, with everything clean and dry there was too much friction between the rotating rings and barrel on this one. I didn't leave enough behind to be able to migrate anywhere but at least I can alter the settings now and use the thing.

Old 08-29-2015   #8
rick oleson
Ancient Wizard

The Retina Reflex is probably not one of those that will turn out to be easier than expected. I do have some notes and sketches on the Reflex III - I'll be happy to send a copy if you drop me an email at [email protected]. They won't answer every question but they'll get you in and out of the camera safely.

rick