Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF News

RFF News News related to photography and rangefinderforum.

Paypal Robo Sales Calls for US Users
Old 06-05-2015   #1
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Paypal Robo Sales Calls for US Users

According to the BBC, Paypal may make robo sales calls to US users. Additionally Paypal may also share your phone numbers. Great.

Users may opt out of these wonderful calls, but how ?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33009774

Stephen

Old 06-05-2015   #2
Jan Pedersen

Enough is enough. I just called and closed my account.
Will find other ways to move $ around if I have to.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-05-2015   #3
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

The good news... the BBC article also point out that the FCC is working to legalize robocall and spam blocking technology, and requesting telephone companies to make this available to their customers. If it takes obnoxious moves like PayPal's to spur the FCC into action, I'm all for it. :-)

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 06-05-2015   #4
majid
Fazal Majid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
Enough is enough. I just called and closed my account.
Will find other ways to move $ around if I have to.
Thanks for the heads up.
Ditto.

PayPal is backpedaling and now saying they will offer an opt-out (no doubt involving something unpleasant and time-consuming like calling a call center over the phone), but too little, too late. That sleazy company has a record of security failures, poor customer service, despicable business practices like putting capricious holds on businesses' funds. I can't wait for Apple Pay/Android Pay to kill them off.

Old 06-05-2015   #5
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by majid View Post
Ditto.

PayPal is backpedaling and now saying they will offer an opt-out (no doubt involving something unpleasant and time-consuming like calling a call center over the phone), but too little, too late. That sleazy company has a record of security failures, poor customer service, despicable business practices like putting capricious holds on businesses' funds. I can't wait for Apple Pay/Android Pay to kill them off.
But can you make payments to an individual for say a eBay transaction?
I know you can setup Apple pay to link with Google wallet but are there other ways to pay individuals??

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 06-05-2015   #6
Jan Pedersen

Ebay account closes when the paypal account is closed. I tested it by trying to log into my account after closing the pp account but I am now asked for a credit card before I can enter the account.
That's fine, I think it will save me some money in the long run.

Old 06-05-2015   #7
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by colyn View Post
But can you make payments to an individual for say a eBay transaction?
I know you can setup Apple pay to link with Google wallet but are there other ways to pay individuals??
sellers are able to specify the type of payment they will accept.

for ease of use, Paypal was long the 1st choice.
that may change now.

Stephen

Old 06-05-2015   #8
frank-grumman

www.nomorobo.com

Bullshi*te calls to my home and cell have dropped fully 99%. As my grandfather used to say in his broken English (yes, he was a LEGAL immigrant): Pizz on 'em

Old 06-05-2015   #9
Mr_Toad
Fluffy Marsupial

Companies show their true colors when they "think" they are gaining a monopoly share of the market.

...kinda like Keurig when they got even greedier and tried to stick consumers with the Keurig 2.0.

My Transaction Feedback Link...
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...2809&protype=9

Old 06-05-2015   #10
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
sellers are able to specify the type of payment they will accept.

for ease of use, Paypal was long the 1st choice.
that may change now.

Stephen
I've wanted to dump paypal for some time now but the options are few. Hopefully Android and Apple pay will soon be an option...

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 06-05-2015   #11
Steve Bellayr

I just sent paypal a strongly worded complaint ref. this robo calling. The reason I went to cell phone was to stop robo calling. If everyone starts complaining to them maybe something will happen. On the other hand what happens if I get a robocall and I click block that number on my cell phone? Do they call from many different numbers?

Old 06-05-2015   #12
Steve Bellayr

There is another article on the internet which seems to state that the FCC is looking into this and plans to vote on June 18th reference business & robocalling.

Old 06-07-2015   #13
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bellayr View Post
There is another article on the internet which seems to state that the FCC is looking into this and plans to vote on June 18th reference business & robocalling.
Yes, I saw that. I think probably the thing to do is to just sit tight for a few days. Let's see what develops as people react. The sky may not be falling.

Bay and Paypal are separating?
Old 06-07-2015   #14
pepeguitarra

Bay and Paypal are separating?

I read on my Ebay account that Ebay and Paypal are going to be separate companies. I still remember years back when Ebay purchased Paypal. Now they are going apart. Is this because they are being forced? or a new business model?

Old 06-08-2015   #15
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

what is robocalling?

Update
Old 06-09-2015   #16
ARB

Update

You can refuse such communications, according to this update from the company:

https://stories.paypal-corp.com/home...we-contact-you

There is a link at that page to initiate contact with customer service. Once you have logged into your PayPal account, you can choose to call or send email.

I chose the latter option just now and was promised a response within 24 hours. We'll see what happens.

One might appreciate getting a call in case of, e.g. fraudulent activity on his account but the User Agreement also mentions opinion surveys and promotions, and the prospect of having one's number shared with unnamed "Affiliates". I made clear that my objection was to automatic dialing and pre-recorded messages generally, as well as any form of unsolicited or unwarranted contact, from third parties especially.

I hope this information will be useful to everyone.

-Alex

Old 06-09-2015   #17
AZPhotog
Keith S

I spent some time two days ago delving into PP and "finally" (the "clowns" (don't want to use bad language here) do NOT make it easy!) found a way to complain to 'customer service' about the potential robocalls and texts. My email to them was quite nasty ("I get endless intrusive, unwanted calls and texts from all sorts of entities and now YOU want in on that TOO!?"), telling them that I would close my account if they annoyed me with this and would NOT accept an OPT OUT selection where I had to be the one to initiate that. By the next day a man named William had responded back via email, very apologetically, and stated that HE had gone ahead and opted me out himself.
Perhaps a few more thousands of these complaints to them and PP will cease and desist with their intrusive attitude.
Oh and the National Do Not Call List? A useless tactic as no one respects it and the violators are often untraceable, at least to the point that to go after them seems to not happen. At least the complaints I filed with them went nowhere. Even THEY admit in their FAQ's that there is limited control.

Old 06-09-2015   #18
Huss

"If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in our ad-customization programs, simply indicate your preference by logging into your account and going to the Notification section under the Settings tab and updating your preferences, or by following the directions that may be provided within the communication or advertisement.

We respect your communication preferences. If you no longer wish to receive notifications via our application, you can adjust your preferences by visiting the settings page of the application."

Old 06-09-2015   #19
Red Robin
It Is What It Is

Oh Joy. My phones not been receiving useless calls lately. Just where did I leave that call blocking number?
Wish I could send then some annoying calls.

Follow-up
Old 06-10-2015   #20
ARB

Follow-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB View Post
You can refuse such communications, according to this update from the company:

https://stories.paypal-corp.com/home...we-contact-you

There is a link at that page to initiate contact with customer service. Once you have logged into your PayPal account, you can choose to call or send email.

I chose the latter option just now and was promised a response within 24 hours. We'll see what happens.

One might appreciate getting a call in case of, e.g. fraudulent activity on his account but the User Agreement also mentions opinion surveys and promotions, and the prospect of having one's number shared with unnamed "Affiliates". I made clear that my objection was to automatic dialing and pre-recorded messages generally, as well as any form of unsolicited or unwarranted contact, from third parties especially.

I hope this information will be useful to everyone.

-Alex
I received an email from a PayPal representative within an hour of posting my note here yesterday. A woman shared a link to an "opt out" form, as well as providing directions for changing my personal email/SMS Notifications settings at the PayPal website.

By default, I believe your Notifications are set for email only. There is no option not to receive email, but one can activate SMS notifications instead (I would not want to).

As for the opt out form, the link did not work for me, so I decided to call customer service directly. I did not have to wait more than a minute for a representative, who seemed well-prepared for the discussion. His account was that there is nothing new about this part of the User Agreement (and he invited me to have a look at the pre-existing version), but that PayPal needed to bring these points to the public's attention due to the split between eBay and PayPal.

I made clear that whereas I would appreciate being contacted in case of suspected fraudulent activity on my account, I wanted no commercial solicitations, notices regarding promotions, or invitations to opinion surveys coming my way. He was happy to comply and make the adjustments on my behalf.

For the time being, I am satisfied.

-Alex

Old 06-10-2015   #21
kknox

Google Wallet in the USA. Its fast and free. Lots of choices.

Old 06-12-2015   #22
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kknox View Post
Google Wallet in the USA. Its fast and free. Lots of choices.
Fast and free. That's for me. Free is good. I wonder why PayPal would do this, when there is competition. Oh, I think I have it: You have to have a Paypal account now, in order to have an eBay account?