Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount Copies

Leica Screw Mount Copies Classic Leica Copy forum as listed in the book 300 Leica Copies, including but not limited to Nicca, Leotax, Honor, Canon etc. At one time there was a major part of the camera industry just trying to make a lower cost copy/dirivitive of the original Leica.

Nicca iiif shutter issue
Old 05-29-2015   #1
mkvrnn

Nicca iiif shutter issue

My Nicca iiif has a shutter problem. It fires at all speeds and sounds reasonably accurate, and there are no holes, but one of the curtains is slightly ruffled. Looking at it through the front of the camera as I wind the film advance knob, the first curtain looks fine but the second one appears ruffled at the bottom corner. It is as though the leading edge is not properly attached at the bottom corner.
Is this something I can repair myself, and if so how?

Something which strikes me as odd about my newly acquired Nicca is that it seems that the shutter speed needs to be selected before the film has been wound on, which is the opposite to my Leica iis and iiis where the speed is selected after winding. Is this normal or has somebody repositioned the speed dial on my Nicca?

Old 05-29-2015   #2
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

One of the shutter tapes has come loose. Unless you know how to tear down the camera and get it back together right you need to send it out in order to get it fixed..

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 05-29-2015   #3
bucs

My Nicca Type 5 suffered a shutter curtain issue similar to yours. It seems that the shutter ribbons/tapes that were used in some of these cameras didn't age well compared to its contemporaries.

It will break sooner or later with regular use. Better to have it replaced.

Old 06-02-2015   #4
rgraphex

If not the ribbon most likely a bad curtain. I had a few of these in the past dried curtain may look ruffled. You should be able to change speeds after winding.

Old 06-02-2015   #5
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgraphex View Post
If not the ribbon most likely a bad curtain. I had a few of these in the past dried curtain may look ruffled. You should be able to change speeds after winding.
If the curtains are dry, it shows up usually in the middle since this is the main part of the curtain exposed to light.

Dry curtains are like fungus... Once it starts it spreads out..

When a curtain appears ruffled at the top or lower corner if indicates a shutter tape has either broken or has come unglued from the shutter spindle...

The Lone Star State....

Leica M2 | M3 x 2 | IIIa x 2 | IIIc | IIIf black dial | Kodak Retina IIIc | Kodak Retina IIIC |

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 06-02-2015   #6
Spavinaw

mkvrnn--It certainly seems like someone has repositioned your shutter speed dial. On that topic, I have never understood this business about having or needing to set the shutter speed after you wind on. I have a Tower 45/46 body. It has a black dot on the accessory shoe and a red dot on the top deck. You can set the shutter speed to the red dot before you wind and it will align with the black dot after you wind. No problem either way. My Leica IIIf is similar. Set it between the 1 and 2 mark on the sync dial and it will be set at the arrow after winding. My Canons don't have a mark on the top plate, but it doesn't take long to learn where the correct spot is. You can even make your own dot there if you want to.

Old 06-02-2015   #7
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spavinaw View Post
mkvrnnI have never understood this business about having or needing to set the shutter speed after you wind on.
The Leica instruction manual calls for winding the shutter before changing shutter speeds. While your method may work for you it can be a bit confusing for others..[/quote]

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery

Old 06-03-2015   #8
mkvrnn

Thanks for the replies so far.
My question was really to ask what is involved in repairing the shutter tape if it has come loose at the bottom. Is it a feasible DIY repair? The curtains themselves seem to be in good condition.

Old 06-03-2015   #9
colyn
ישו משיח בנו של אלוהים

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkvrnn View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.
My question was really to ask what is involved in repairing the shutter tape if it has come loose at the bottom. Is it a feasible DIY repair? The curtains themselves seem to be in good condition.
I would advise having it serviced by a tech since the camera will have to be stripped down.. The tapes are under spring tension and would have to be released before fixing in order to get top and bottom curtain re-alignment right..

The Lone Star State....

Flickr

My website

My Gallery