Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Large Format Film RF

Large Format Film RF Forum for Large Format Rangefinders (generally 4x5 or larger format) iIncluding Linhof 4x5, Graflex 4x5, and other Large Format Rangefinders.

David Burnett... really remarkable...
Old 07-16-2011   #1
Carterofmars

David Burnett... really remarkable...

This is my favorite contemporary 4x5 photog... is anyone familiar and would care to post opinions on Burnett?

http://www.davidburnett.com/portfolio.html

Thanks...

Old 07-16-2011   #2
furcafe

I have the privilege of knowing Dave. Great guy & great photojournalist. He's been using medium & large format for both assignments & personal work for years & gave a nice talk about large format shooting for the Phillips Collection's show on Pictorialism last fall (http://www.wornmagazine.com/2010/10/...ion/#more-3800).

I met him via an informal, but august group of film (& plate) shooters called the Bokeh Vista Social Club, most of whom shoot large format. I'm a member, but I think mostly because of my collection of classic cameras. Meetings consist of mainly of talking photography & messing around w/cameras while eating barbecue & drinking beer. Dave is the only person I've ever met who actually recognized my Bell & Howell Foton (he remembered a sports photographer who used 1 back in the '60s).

Sadly, he's not in DC as often as he used to be. Not as many assignments down here & he & his wife sold their place in Arlington to consolidate everything in NYC. The last time we chatted was @ Look3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carterofmars View Post
This is my favorite contemporary 4x5 photog... is anyone familiar and would care to post opinions on Burnett?

http://www.davidburnett.com/portfolio.html

Thanks...
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Last edited by furcafe : 07-16-2011 at 23:41.

Old 07-17-2011   #3
MichaelW

There is a good video about him talking about the different cameras he uses. It's called "What's In the Bag", it might be a series of interviews but I have only seen the one with DB. Probably it's on Youtube, I forget where I found it. He talks about Holga, Speed Graphic with Aero Ektar & some digital stuff.

Old 07-17-2011   #4
Carterofmars

Quote:
Originally Posted by furcafe View Post
I have the privilege of knowing Dave. Great guy & great photojournalist. He's been using medium & large format for both assignments & personal work for years & gave a nice talk about large format shooting for the Phillips Collection's show on Pictorialism last fall (http://www.wornmagazine.com/2010/10/...ion/#more-3800).

I met him via an informal, but august group of film (& plate) shooters called the Bokeh Vista Social Club, most of whom shoot large format. I'm a member, but I think mostly because of my collection of classic cameras. Meetings consist of mainly of talking photography & messing around w/cameras while eating barbecue & drinking beer. Dave is the only person I've ever met who actually recognized my Bell & Howell Foton (he remembered a sports photographer who used 1 back in the '60s).

Sadly, he's not in DC as often as he used to be. Not as many assignments down here & he & his wife sold their place in Arlington to consolidate everything in NYC. The last time we chatted was @ Look3.
I have a little back and forth with him via eMail discussing LF Graphics and his images and techniques. I'm pretty sure I saw him (before I knew about him) in Columbus circle about a two years ago.

Anyway, the guy seems really down to earth from an interview I've read, and his work is really interesting.

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/07...d-burnett.html

Last edited by Carterofmars : 07-17-2011 at 09:08.

Old 07-17-2011   #5
furcafe

He's totally down to earth. Shared some Elijah Craig bourbon from a friend's flask w/him @ Look3 while we chatted. His parting words: "Thanks for the juice, man."

Quote:
I have a little back and forth with him via eMail discussing LF Graphics and his images and techniques. I'm pretty sure I saw him (before I knew about him) in Columbus circle about a two years ago.

Anyway, the guy seems really down to earth from an interview I've read, and his work is really interesting.

http://blog.photoshelter.com/2010/07...d-burnett.html
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Last edited by furcafe : 08-04-2011 at 06:40.

Old 07-17-2011   #6
Carterofmars

Quote:
He's totally down to earth. Shared some Elijah Craig bourbon from a flask w/him @ Look3 while we chatted. His parting words: "Thanks for the juice, man."
A little bourbon and camera action with Burnett. How great is that!

Some people lead the charmed life. Let me know if you guys ever meet up in NYC.

Old 07-17-2011   #7
furcafe

Will do. The man has great stories about all the great photojournalists of the last 50 years (from Eisenstadt to Adams, etc., etc.).

Quote:
A little bourbon and camera action with Burnett. How great is that!

Some people lead the charmed life. Let me know if you guys ever meet up in NYC.
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 08-03-2011   #8
Carterofmars

Quote:
Will do. The man has great stories about all the great photojournalists of the last 50 years (from Eisenstadt to Adams, etc., etc.).
Very cool.

Old 08-05-2011   #9
oftheherd

Interesting photos. Thanks for the link to him. Also to the the Bokeh Vista Social Club. Interesting.

Waiting for tanks passing by-Dec. 13, 1981
Old 10-10-2011   #10
europanorama

Waiting for tanks passing by-Dec. 13, 1981

DB was sent to Warsaw by US-government to document Polish Martial Law. That means they knew beforehand. Why i know this? Because a "wonderfully framed" front cover shwoing tanks was published in one of our magazines soon after Dec, 13, 1981.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegsr...1%E2%80%931983
3DSTEREO-Aeropanoramas
Marspanoramas in 3DSTEREO
under reconstruction

Last edited by europanorama : 10-10-2011 at 02:46.

Old 10-10-2011   #11
iBay
Insoo Bay

His exhibition is going on at UMFA (Utah Museum of Fine Art) in Salt Lake City until Jan 2012.
David Burnett-"Too Close" http://umfa.utah.edu/

Old 10-10-2011   #12
forsakenrider
Salad

I'm taking "Commercial Photography" in college right now and we had to do a presentation on a photographer that inspired us. I chose DB, and here's my little summary.

Old 10-10-2011   #13
ivant

So cool! Thank's for posting OP. New photos look so modern, yet so classic!

Old 10-26-2011   #14
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
There is a good video about him talking about the different cameras he uses. It's called "What's In the Bag", it might be a series of interviews but I have only seen the one with DB. Probably it's on Youtube, I forget where I found it. He talks about Holga, Speed Graphic with Aero Ektar & some digital stuff.
TY for that Michael.

Inspiring and potentially expensive.

oh. here it is:
http://raw.tristanjud.com/2011/08/wh...david-burnett/

Old 10-27-2011   #15
bigeye

His Holga Al Gore shot is extraordinary, but I own better cameras.

Last edited by bigeye : 10-27-2011 at 14:56.

Old 10-27-2011   #16
v_roma

Thanks for the link. The Apollo XI shots are so great. What film do you think he used for those?

Old 10-27-2011   #17
maclaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Here's the video in question.

http://vimeo.com/13036394

Old 10-27-2011   #18
Ken Smith
Why yes Ma'am - it folds

Loved the D-Day selection.

Very poignant reminder of what it took to face evil in the world. The shot of the survivor sitting on the beach is priceless - akin to visiting Hell knowing the Devil was dead and gone.