Ricoh GR III?
Old 02-09-2018   #1
gzisis69

Ricoh GR III?

hello, im looking to buy a small pocketable camera and im wondering if ricoh is going to anounce a new model soon ?

Old 02-09-2018   #2
nightfly

Have no idea if a III is coming but I've owned the I and the II and they were pretty much identical. I think they added WiFi which I never use but otherwise I can't tell the difference.

Really good cameras. Wouldn't hesitate to buy. Poke around the rumors sites to see if anything may be coming.

Old 02-09-2018   #3
nightfly

Only rumors I've seen seem fairly far fetched:

https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/01/03/...camera-rumors/

Full frame, curved sensor, blah blah

I'd buy one in a heartbeat but I woudn't hold my breath waiting.

I sold my first one, tried a Fuji XE-2 with their 17mm lens for awhile, hated it (the usage not the photos) and bought a GR II back.

Old 02-09-2018   #4
BillBingham2

If I were looking for a pocket camera I'd add the Fuji X-70 to the list. The lens does not collapse into the body but it still is very small.

B2 (;->

Old 02-09-2018   #5
JeffS7444

If you're not in a hurry, why not wait until March when CP+ is underway? If a new GR is about to be released, we'll probably hear about it then.

http://www.cpplus.jp/en/

Old 02-09-2018   #6
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

For pants pocket the GR I and III are a bit too big. The older GRD series fits better in pants pocket.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 02-09-2018   #7
gzisis69

i dont want an old camera. if im going to buy an old model with small sensor i can keep my iphone.

Old 02-09-2018   #8
lawnpotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzisis69 View Post
i dont want an old camera. if im going to buy an old model with small sensor i can keep my iphone.
The original GRD had a look in black and white that many people liked

Old 02-09-2018   #9
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzisis69 View Post
Yes. Well to me the selling point of GR series was never image quality, but the excellent control and customization, which no phone nor the most of other cameras in the same tier can match. I bought my GRD IV last year and I really like it and bring it everywhere. I wish the APS GRs can be smaller but you can't have it all.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 05-13-2018   #10
SJACPHOTO

When it comes to compact cameras, You are not doing anything wrong with the Ricoh GR II.

It is very small and yet features an APS-C sensor with excellent image quality for the price. Since You are looking for a compact camera I guess You are also fine without a viewfinder.

Old 07-16-2018   #11
kshapero
Press the Shutter

Played with the Ricoh GRii. Wish I had one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 07-17-2018   #12
Dogman

According to the rumor sites, a new GR is coming in September. No real info on what to expect on specifications. Fact is, the GR is such a mature product it's gonna be hard to top what it already is. You start adding features, you probably have to increase the real estate to accommodate the additions thus making it less pocketable. Adding a 24MP sensor is probably a sure thing but that probably won't improve image quality a lot over the 16MP already used.

I do hope Ricoh seals the camera better against dust. I've not had any issues with mine but complaints about dust on the sensor are common.

Old 07-17-2018   #13
Archlich

Won't hurt if they put weather sealing and contemporary AF capability in the new camera. The original could barely focus on it own in subdued light.

Old 07-17-2018   #14
13Promet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
Won't hurt if they put weather sealing and contemporary AF capability in the new camera. The original could barely focus on it own in subdued light.
+1
Missed opportunities due to wrong focussing is my only complaint about an otherwise perfect image-making machine.

www.alessandrosaponaro.com

Instagram: a.saponaro.photography

Old 07-17-2018   #15
BillBingham2

Weather seal and dust are the only two negatives I can think of that make me lean towards the X-70. Frankly the iPhone 7 with the right software is looking just as good right now. Bit bigger in one direction, but it a phone, I have to carry a phone.....

B2 (;->

Old 07-17-2018   #16
shawn

Won't happen but a GRIII (or X80) without the LCD but with an EVF (or optical VF) would be awesome. I like the actual lens cap on the x70 too, the automatic lens covers don't seem as reliable.

Shawn

Old 07-17-2018   #17
nightfly

Would love a full frame GR but not holding my breath.

Been using my GR II more and more lately and am very happy with the results. Haven't taken my M9 out in awhile, it's starting to feel neglected.

I don't really think cellphone, even the best ones are remotely comparable. The difference in sensor size and quality is night and day if you are printing or viewing at greater than instagram sizes.

Old 07-17-2018   #18
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
........I don't really think cellphone, even the best ones are remotely comparable. The difference in sensor size and quality is night and day if you are printing or viewing at greater than instagram sizes.
Perhaps that's my problem, Instagram sized expectations.

I'm not suggesting that if I went out specifically to take pictures that a good cellphone would be my first choice. I look at this style camera as an every day carry almost everywhere camera. Nick has presented the idea that we should go full frame, everything else is, less.

Frankly I'm ok with less than perfect glass. I prefer good Nikkors and they way they paint. I love the Skopar-Snap-Shot 25 from CV. They may not have more than Instagram specs, to me, that's ok.

B2 (;->

Old 07-17-2018   #19
KEVIN-XU 愛 forever
所謂的攝影,就是人生。

Let's wait for this year's Photokina event. Rumors are saying that Ricoh would officially announce the new generation of their GR line. And Ricoh also set up a new fans website about GR. You can find it online.

I will definitely buy one if they do announce GR III. Would be great if it has a full frame sensor but the price will increase a lot though.

所謂的攝影,就是人生。
---荒木經惟

https://www.instagram.com/kevinxbegin/

Old 07-17-2018   #20
Dogman

Of course you can buy a GR today with with all those "wish" features--EVF, full frame sensor, tilting back and a choice of focal lengths. It's called the Sony A7.

You add all that junk to the GR and it's no longer a GR.

Old 07-17-2018   #21
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Of course you can buy a GR today with with all those "wish" features--EVF, full frame sensor, tilting back and a choice of focal lengths. It's called the Sony A7.

You add all that junk to the GR and it's no longer a GR.
Might also be a Sony RX100 Mark something or other.....

But in general, could not agree with you more. Keep it simple, small, weatherproof it and fix the dust issue (odds are at the same time).

Perhaps better low-light focusing/IQ, but other than that don't look to add functionality. I'm very happy with my CV 28mm finder that sat on top of mine until it died. Don't need any film emulations, tilting back as it will mess with size and reliability.

B2 (;->

Old 07-17-2018   #22
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Life is too short... Get it now and Enjoy ... I did !

Old 07-17-2018   #23
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Life is too short... Get it now and Enjoy ... I did !
Helen, you, the Queen of Normal .........Lenses that is

I'm not surprised, they are that much fun.

Hope all.

B2 (;->

Old 07-17-2018   #24
Landberg

I bought my 4th GRI/GRII (one got stolen, two broke and the 4th i lost). Best digital i jave ever used. If the GRIII comes i will buy that to. But i wont sell my GRII.

Old 07-17-2018   #25
helenhill
Chasing Shadows ... Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBingham2 View Post
Helen, you, the Queen of Normal .........Lenses that is

I'm not surprised, they are that much fun.

Hope all.

B2 (;->

Not sure what YOU mean by 'nomal' ??
but I had the GRI and GRII which funny enough
brought me back in 2008 to shoot Film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
Congrats, Helen. For a dedicated 50mm shooter, it should be interesting. Be sure to try snap focus. I really miss that feature.

John
Yes, 28 is COOL especially with digi
prefer wide 21mm and tres longer 75/85 now

Old 07-17-2018   #26
jsrockit

I'm so ready for a GR III. Just would like to see a modern sensor and better low light AF. Everything else can stay the same...

Old 09-02-2018   #27
jsrockit

Heard some good info from a supposedly reliable source... the GR3 will be 24mp, will have Pentax's SR, will have an OVF, but no EVF, and will have a touch screen. Sounds interesting, but it is still a rumor.

Old 09-02-2018   #28
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
will have an OVF, but no EVF
please be real! that'd be a dream come true.

Old 09-02-2018   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post

Whoa, that looks like it was made by a RF member! I wish they had done that...

Old 09-02-2018   #30
aizan

Quote:
Whoa, that looks like it was made by a RF member! I wish they had done that...
that's because i made it in ye olde days!

if i redid it for modern technology, i could leave out the frameline illumination window.

Old 09-03-2018   #31
regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
Fake based on a GRD2 :

http://www.dpreview.com/files/p/arti...rd2_front.jpeg

Old 09-02-2018   #32
Scottboarding

Quote:
Heard some good info from a supposedly reliable source... the GR3 will be 24mp, will have Pentax's SR, will have an OVF, but no EVF, and will have a touch screen. Sounds interesting, but it is still a rumor.
If that's true and it's under $700 I will buy it no question. I'm trying to sell my GRii right now because I can't stand shooting with the LCD and I'm frankly not a fan of the color images that come out of it. A new sensor/processor should help with that, and an OVF would be awesome.

Old 09-02-2018   #33
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottboarding View Post
If that's true and it's under $700 I will buy it no question. I'm trying to sell my GRii right now because I can't stand shooting with the LCD and I'm frankly not a fan of the color images that come out of it. A new sensor/processor should help with that, and an OVF would be awesome.
Have you thought of an external finder. I used a Metal 28 CV finder and loved it. Makes it too big for a pocket, but fun to use, very retro looking, even with a wrist strap.

B2 (;->

Old 09-02-2018   #34
Archlich

Quote:
It will not be under $700. Ricoh is not a charity venue. Let it be profitable so we’d see a 4th generation in the future, if you please?

Old 09-03-2018   #35
Scottboarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archlich View Post
It will not be under $700. Ricoh is not a charity venue. Let it be profitable so wed see a 4th generation in the future, if you please?
I wasn't sure how much it typically launched at. I bought mine a year and a half ago for $600 which I felt was a great deal. What did the GRii launch at?

Old 09-03-2018   #36
regular

Quote:
I wasn't sure how much it typically launched at. I bought mine a year and a half ago for $600 which I felt was a great deal. What did the GRii launch at?
The Fuji XF10 was announced in July for 500euros, Ricoh will certainly use the same off-the-shelf 24Mpxls sensor from Sony.

The Fuji bad guys may have tried to cut Ricoh short on the price and earlier announcement. Still, Ricoh's marketing team will not be permitted to ignore that datapoint.

Old 09-03-2018   #37
Archlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular View Post
The Fuji XF10 was announced in July for 500euros, Ricoh will certainly use the same off-the-shelf 24Mpxls sensor from Sony.

The Fuji bad guys may have tried to cut Ricoh short on the price and earlier announcement. Still, Ricoh's marketing team will not be permitted to ignore that datapoint.
The XF10 is clearly an entry level camera. Together with the X-A5 and the X-T100, with which it shares most of the hardwares, The XF10 completes somewhat a budget version of the X-Pro2/X-T2/X100F trio. If it's ever comparable to a GR II (which was X70 level), it's because the former is much newer. Not so fair I'd say if there actually will be a GR III.

Quote:
Traditionally the GR Digitals were considered expensive at $599 ($699 for the III and IV) for their fixed lens and 1/1.7'' sensors. They gained a cult following nonetheless thanks to the supreme handling. Both the GR and the GR II were $799 when new. They reigned as bargains since they have large sensors and beat the competitions (the Coolpix A and the X70) by such a large margin.

Camera prices had been on steady rise, so it won't be surprising if the GR III is more expensive than ever. But the GR series, since day one with the GR1 which retailed for 90,000 yen in 1996 ($1,300 today), was never meant to be cheap.

Old 09-02-2018   #38
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Quote:

https://pentaxrumors.com/2018/03/02/...-in-september/

Fuji X-H1; X-Pro1; XF10; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 09-02-2018   #39
regular

Question

Quote:

SR stands for Shake Reduction - I found this URL to be very useful

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...in_photography

Is your source a different person or site than the sources that have been known for some time? (Noki****a, Dpreview's forum ...or PentaxForum'sForum ?)

Old 09-02-2018   #40
coelacanth
Ride, dive, shoot.

If GR with OVF gets announced, I’ll be placing an order before you can blink.

b/w guy.

flickr | Instagram