What's wrong with me?
Old 09-29-2016   #1
sanmich

What's wrong with me?

Apparently, I'm being totally unrealistic

After a few very kind mails about upgrading my M7 DX reader to the optical reader (free of charge), I sent the camera to Leica NJ and it was received there on the first days of August.

Since then, I have asked several times for a time frame, received numerous out of office answers from two people that my requests were transferred too, answered questions about serial numbers, been given excuses about me not joining a letter to the camera (which I did) been put on the waiting little music on the phone for 15 minutes (long distance, mind you) etc....
Every time, it takes several emails to get an answer, the most informative one being that an estimate will be available within a week and after approval the repair could take five weeks (what estimate? what approval? when it's a free of charge repair). that was....five weeks ago. And still no idea what's the expected repair time.
what am I doing wrong??
Should I send a telegram? a pigeon? smoke signals?
I am used to repair people not being the most communicative, and delays to be quite long. But this?? ...

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 09-29-2016   #2
splitimageview

Hmm. Who are the parties you are emailing?

I can forward my contacts, perhaps that would help...

Old 09-29-2016   #3
sanmich

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Hmm. Who are the parties you are emailing?

I can forward my contacts, perhaps that would help...
I won't put personal info here for obvious reasons, but let me contact you if I don't receive an answer to today's email?

thanks for the help!

Incidentally, how are you connected?

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site

Old 09-29-2016   #4
JOneZero

Hey, consider yourself lucky. Leica never even responded to me when I asked about my the DX reader in my M7.

Old 09-30-2016   #5
waileong

I did mine thru my local Leica store, left it to them to liaise with Germany.

Old 09-30-2016   #6
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

Years ago I had to send one of my M6TTL bodies to NJ and they were very nice about the whole process... especially when I told them I was about to leave for a trip a few days (which was true). I recall talking with Tony in the repair department, who was very understanding.

But then, that was in 2007.

Good luck!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide

Old 09-30-2016   #7
sepiareverb
genius and moron

Sadly this is the new normal for Leica NJ. I emailed you some names & emails that might get some more timely response.

Old 11-08-2016   #8
sanmich

Last update:
After specifically asking several times NOT to ship back to me the camera, (with no answers to my mails), since I'm going to be in the US next month, obviously they just did that: sent the camera back, with UPS which is a nightmare to deal with.
UPS paid the customs VAT when there was none to be paid (when I sent I spent hours to have all the paperwork and allow for the camera a free entry back to the country ). Plus a hefty fee for the custom release.

Nicely played Leica NJ!

Along these last two months I have probably sent about twenty mails with inquiries. I received two answers, one of them after sending an SOS to Germany. And these are the "customer service" persons.

Last, time to thank Robert and Bob for their kind help! RFF rocks!

My site

Old 11-08-2016   #9
Steve M.

All good reasons to buy a beater Nikon SLR, put some good Leica R glass on it w/ an adapter, and avoid all this :]

There seems to be an inverse law of proportion that goes on w/ Leica owners and other high priced gear when it comes to service after the purchase. The more you pay, the worse they treat you.

Old 11-08-2016   #10
Bille

Obviously, if you can afford a Leica, you can afford a backup Leica as well ...

Old 11-08-2016   #11
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M. View Post
All good reasons to buy a beater Nikon SLR, put some good Leica R glass on it w/ an adapter, and avoid all this :]
Got that, and the M7, and the Nikon + R glass does not compare in usage terms (manual stop down metering etc).

But if you are going to use Nikons, it is better to use dedicated Zeiss ZF or Voigtlander SL lenses on Nikons instead of converted Leica R glass.
Then it becomes the rangefinder vs SLR argument.

Old 11-08-2016   #12
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
....Plus a hefty fee for the custom release.

Nicely played Leica! .....
Note to self, no such thing as a free lunch or free DX upgrade.

Thanks for sharing, sorry it was so hard to do something that should have been so easy.

B2 (;->

Old 11-20-2016   #13
MCTuomey

Michael, sadly not unusual treatment for those of us lacking connections.

Which for me is one reason why Leicas are a personal luxury rather than working gear, as I can't afford necessary backup bodies.

My Flickr

Old 11-20-2016   #14
icebear

Just guessing here:
They have been positively overwhelmed with the resurgence of popularity and success with their digital cameras. New development and production and a nice new show off location in Germany is one thing. Finding young people interested in a highly skilled mechanical service job and training them for 2 years is a little bit more difficult, as this takes long term planning and when you have not enough quality applicants you are running in serious service issue. Not an excuse, just a possible explanation.

I have also had my fair share of customer "service" experience with Leica NJ but since I am living in the area, I can personally show up there and talk to the technical manager. Since I had my MM sensor replaced I can't complain about service for my gear. Last time turnaround was a week from drop off, immediate check, determining what needs to be done and ready for pick up. If you end up in the regular queue, good luck to you.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 11-20-2016   #15
MCTuomey

Klaus, you are so right to remind us of Leica's dedication, but that's not the point. Leica's service and parts commitment is unparalleled. It's the matter of timing when one is depending on the body, or needs it serviced under time pressure, or requires specific handling/shipping.

My Flickr

Old 11-20-2016   #16
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
Klaus, you are so right to remind us of Leica's dedication, but that's not the point. Leica's service and parts commitment is unparalleled. It's the matter of timing when one is depending on the body, or needs it serviced under time pressure, or requires specific handling/shipping.
As I pointed out specificly ..."not an excuse".
Getting qualified staff trained requires long term planning, that's not a task any of the bean or pea or what ever small veggies being counted by the CFO's nowadays likes to do. In their world view long term is usually not much futher than the end of the next quarter or end of their own contract term. It's nucience that you still need people to do business . This topic gets me grumpy. Because everything is just about selling and not service anymore. How many items are really getting repaired nowdays? To service a 50 year old Leica is totally reasonable because it is good for another 50 years.

Anything made in China doesn't get repaired, it gets replaced because the entire supply chain is optimized for cheap production putting things together from parts sourced from individual cheap parts suppliers from all over the world.

Doing actual service of tiny broken parts and replace just what's indeed broken, nope. Best to replace certain building blocks, groups of parts and see, if that does the trick. Getting a specific answer on what was actually wrong? Acc. to the repair info xy was replaced and now it works, your card has been charged with $$$ plus tax.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 11-20-2016   #17
Timmyjoe

For years I dealt with Carmen at Leica NJ, she was fantastic. Didn't promise things they couldn't deliver, was very open and honest about delays and tie-ups. Sadly she is no longer there, and the one instance I've had with Leica NJ since she left has left me concerned about future service to my M6TTL and ME.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 11-20-2016   #18
winzenbourg

Leica NJ has had my M8 since January. Coming up on a year. I have emailed and called perhaps 20-30 times. All someone needs to do is put it in a box and send it back to me, but that seems to be asking too much. I have been told that it will be shipping "soon" or "next week" countless times. They've completely turned me off from wanting to purchase another camera that might someday require service at Leica NJ.

Old 11-20-2016   #19
MCTuomey

+1 re Carmen. She was wonderful, period.

My Flickr

Old 11-21-2016   #20
CK Dexter Haven

I had a similar experience with Leica NJ, but with a 50Lux-ASPH. Bought new, but the lens was a complete lemon. I sent them the lens, and a set of comparison test photos showing it was almost a soft focus optic. Took 3 months or so, with no communication from them.... I got it back and nothing had been fixed and they essentially said they didn't recognize a problem. I resent the pix that showed it was softer at every aperture than a $30 eBay lens.

They eventually sent it to solms. Another three months later, they replaced it.

I didn't learn my lesson. Bought a CM camera, which they pretty soon thereafter announced they would not service at all. That was the end of my Leica experience and I'm much happier with Nikon and canon and Pentax and contax....