Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Sometimes simpler really is better
Old 06-03-2017   #1
kxl
Social Documentary

Sometimes simpler really is better

All this time, I've been using Photoshop and while I have created or imported actions to process my images (or used the Nik filters), each image still takes a little bit of time to process.

So, faced with processing close to 2000 images from a trip, I started thinking about a simpler way to do it. I looked into Lightroom, to which I have access (via Adobe CC) but never really used. I just imported all images with a basic preset and made minor tweaks to about a third of the images (the others didn't need anything else beyond the presets).

Photoshop still has a place in my toolbox, but going forward, I think I'll reach for LR first.

Lesson learned.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 06-03-2017   #2
Henry Schimke

That's the exact scenario where Lightroom shines: similar edits to many files.

If you can imagine something that might be done by a wedding photographer that isn't in-depth retouching, then Lightroom probably does it.

I prefer Lightroom for 90% of the things I do, including just keeping files in neat folders and setting the black point on scanned film.

Old 06-03-2017   #3
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

I use ImageJ to post-process my photos, which is a very simple but powerful image processing software. I post-process 1% of my photos.

flickr

About Film Cameras