Sensor was NOT toast
Old 05-08-2017   #1
victoriapio

Sensor was NOT toast

On April 16, I joined the "I guess my sensor is toast" thread thinking my sensor failed. On April 17 I overnighted my M9 to Leica NJ as my wife and I are going to Spain in July.
I was shocked when a UPS truck driver knocked on my door this afternoon (May 8) and there, in a well packed box, was my m9. Looking at the work sheet, the sensor did not fail.
1. Necessary service charge 3 Hrs
2. Leather covering replaced
3. Circuit M9 REV 4 + 5
4. Sealing ring, 1 X 1,5

It sounds like a circuit board failed. I was not charged for the service.

Old 05-08-2017   #2
Contarama

Looks like the Leica is going to Spain with you. Awesome. Makes me want to buy one.

Old 05-08-2017   #3
conyon

Good news! Enjoy Spain!

Old 05-08-2017   #4
sleepyhead

Great for you! And great service from Leica.

Old 05-08-2017   #5
Huss

I think the sensor, if i recall correctly, is part of the circuit board. So if they replaced that they also replaced your sensor.

Old 05-09-2017   #6
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contarama View Post
Looks like the Leica is going to Spain with you. Awesome. Makes me want to buy one.
Makes me want to go to Spain! I'd love to go to Salamanca again with a camera in my hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I think the sensor, if i recall correctly, is part of the circuit board. So if they replaced that they also replaced your sensor.
Is that true? Seems to me the sensor assembly should be separable from the circuit board. Why would they package them together?

G

Old 05-09-2017   #7
victoriapio

I agree that it was outstanding service from Leica, regardless of what the problem was. I assumed it was a sensor issue, but when I saw the worksheet assumed it was a circuit board. I didn't think about the sensor and the circuit board being one unit. The image is a cell phone snap of a photo on the rear camera screen. That was the problem I had.
If it was a sensor issue, then I really salute Leica for such a rapid turn around. BRAVO...

Victoriapio added: Funny addendum, I was literally a click away from buying a used MMono when the delivery man knocked on the door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg m9 photo1.jpg (32.8 KB, 30 views)

Old 05-09-2017   #8
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Is that true? Seems to me the sensor assembly should be separable from the circuit board. Why would they package them together?

G
From what I remember, when my M-E (M9) had it's sensor replaced, the paperwork said circuit board.

Old 05-09-2017   #9
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
From what I remember, when my M-E (M9) had it's sensor replaced, the paperwork said circuit board.
Good to know. Given the short turn around, was the sensor in stock in NJ? Perhaps they have a supply of them to install now?

Old 05-09-2017   #10
Huss

They must have a supply of them on hand, because mine took forever with the reason they were out of stock.
It is actually much better that you do have the new sensor now, as you will (hopefully) be good for a long time .

Old 05-09-2017   #11
Roger Hicks

Great news!

Cheers,

R.

Old 05-09-2017   #12
sevres_babylone

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
I The image is a cell phone snap of a photo on the rear camera screen.
That looks quite different from usual bad sensor problem (which sometimes initially looks like "dirt" on the sensor. Regardless, great service, and I'm also glad things have worked out for you.

Old 05-10-2017   #13
willie_901

If the circuit board responsible for the failure happens to be part of the sensor assembly, then the sensor component (cover glass layer, micro-les assembly, color-filter array assembly and photo-diode bed) was replaced. Unless you already had the second-generation M9 sensor, a sensor assembly replacement would be good news.

Surely Leica can share with you the details about what a "Circuit M9 REV 4 + 5" replacement entails.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 05-10-2017   #14
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
If the circuit board responsible for the failure happens to be part of the sensor assembly, then the sensor component (cover glass layer, micro-les assembly, color-filter array assembly and photo-diode bed) was replaced. Unless you already had the second-generation M9 sensor, a sensor assembly replacement would be good news.

Surely Leica can share with you the details about what a "Circuit M9 REV 4 + 5" replacement entails.
I purchased the camera new in 2009 so no work had been done on the sensor. After I overnighted the camera I called Leica NJ several times to confirm the camera was in the repair process and never heard a word from them. I doubt I would have any luck trying to find out what "Circuit M9 REV 4+5" is.

Addendum: this does sound like circuit board replacement according to this thread: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=160405