Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 11-06-2016   #41
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge100 View Post
FWIW, I used to own the Nokton and sold that, too.

I love the Planar; I just don't shoot 50mm enough to justify keeping it in addition to my Canon 1.4.
So op should go for canon 1.4?

I think there's been more than enough samples to make up ones mind by now. I am curious to see what he chooses.

Old 11-06-2016   #42
raid
Dad Photographer

Costwise, the Canon 50/1.4 is a bargain (for its overall high quality)

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-06-2016   #43
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I was looking at Canon 50 1.4 and 1.8 on digital M examples few days ago.
Clear rendering of old lenses on M-E was good surprise to me. Very different from old lenses on DSLRs.
99% of lens examples in this thread looks great to me. It is all about handling for me now. Every RF lens I have, do have or gets focus tab. For quicker focusing with our kids on M-E and playing on the streets with film Ms.

Old 11-06-2016   #44
edge100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
I was looking at Canon 50 1.4 and 1.8 on digital M examples few days ago.
Clear rendering of old lenses on M-E was good surprise to me. Very different from old lenses on DSLRs.
99% of lens examples in this thread looks great to me. It is all about handling for me now. Every RF lens I have, do have or gets focus tab. For quicker focusing with our kids on M-E and playing on the streets with film Ms.
The infinity lock on the Canon 1.4 serves as a focusing tab.

Old 11-06-2016   #45
edge100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKRCAT View Post
So op should go for canon 1.4?

I think there's been more than enough samples to make up ones mind by now. I am curious to see what he chooses.
The Canon is a very different flavour of lens than the Zeiss. The OP should choose which is better for him, just as I did.

The Nikkor 50mm f1.4 LTM is a hidden gem
Old 11-06-2016   #46
pepeguitarra

The Nikkor 50mm f1.4 LTM is a hidden gem

MasterGardenersPruning30-1 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Ready for Thanksgiving by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Hoja de Parra @ f5.6 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Hoja de Parra @ f1.4 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor50mmf1.4 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor50mmf1.4 by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Hybiscus Closed - No UV/IR Filter by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Nikkor 50mm f1.4 Adorno by Palenquero Photography, on Flickr

Old 11-11-2016   #47
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Nikkor 50 1.4 LTM is great retro for sure...

I was reading reviews, looking at Flickr and listening to my guts...
All of the sudden, I feel like 50mm boy as I have started it in eighties. My past is holding me.. And it was 50 2.8 from get-go on color slide film, which I still adore on the scans (M-E is close to it)...

At one side I have to match new M-E with new Lux 50 1.4 ASPH. To be cool at lower ISO and have short focus through with tab, which I'm become addicted to. At another side Summarit-M 50 as light weight to walk and Nokton 50 1.5 ASPH (indoors) for less price as single and heavy 50 Lux ASPH and to have two lenses for two M (digi and film) cameras...

Nov 17, UPD: almost nothing from gear is sold yet to have money to buy some modern fifty. Only cheap I-22, which I used on M-E to shim it for film Leicas.
I-22 on M-E at f3.5.

Old 12-06-2016   #48
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

With help fron RFF members and using of Summicron Rigid, Jupiter-3 helped me to determine which lens I need technically on M-E.
Today it came, ex-demo Nokton 50 1.5 VM, black.

I took some focus target test shots handheld, wide open. I was able to get it within 1 cm at 0.7m.
Took kiddies photos as usual, about three dozen. It helped to find the settings for M-E. With our indoor home lights, I have lens at f1.5, shutter speed at 1/125 and auto ISO is flowing between 500 and 1000. Lens gives what I need, sharp enough where it is in focus, colors are correct and saturated. Bokeh seems to be fine. Feels like modern, corrected and neutral 50mm prime on digital FF camera. 3D effect was slightly present as well

My lens has firm focus movement. Slightly more push needs to be applied to be moved between 0.7 and infinity. But for focusing within the range it is alright. Not the lens for fast zone focusing. Purple fringing is present at 1.5, but I didn't find it to be critical.
Because it is f1.5, M-E is getting enough light to keep ISO in the range where noise is not destroying sharpness, with f2 lens it was more noisy.

One of the test shots. In camera JPEG1, exposure and WB adjusted in LR and down resized with low sharpening. This one was at f2.8.

Old 12-06-2016   #49
BLKRCAT
99% Film

Good choice. My nokton is stiff. To be expected. Now when you're done playing on digital try it on bw film. You'll be impressed with what you can get from it.

Old 12-06-2016   #50
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Thank you!
Very first thing I did by taking this lens from its box was placing it on M3 ELC .
I have short roll in it, fifteen frames. At 3PM light was already low today, f1.5 for ISO400 with 1/500, 1/1000.

Old 01-06-2017   #51
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Today second lens I was asking about came. Planar 50 f2 ZM.
Very first impressions are documented in my M-E&me blog.

I'm thinking of comparing Rigid with Nokton 50 1.5 and Planar 50 f2, before I let some or all of them go after some time.

Old 01-06-2017   #52
raid
Dad Photographer

I have had a Rigid Summicron since 25 years, and I never felt the need to add another 50mm lens. Of course, I get curious, and I get other lenses over time. As Roland said, the CV 50/1.1 is a great lens. It is also a bargain buy.

Raid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
I really love my rigid Summicron on the 240, surprised you don't like it on the M-E. You do know that it was designed by Mandler who - before becoming Canadian - was visiting ELCAN on and off since 1952, right ?

In any case, if you really want to trade the rigid, I recommend the 50/1.1 Nokton for your purposes. Even better than the 50/1.5 - technically as good as the 50/2 Planar, but faster, see also http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=153336.

Whatever you get, make sure you can return it, the difference between Planar, 1.5 Nokton, and 1.1 Nokton is so small that sample variation might well be bigger, meaning try to get a good one.

Roland.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-10-2017   #53
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

I don't see any practical reason for 1.1 now, after getting TTL Leica flash for low light color photography and no flash ISO 1600-2500 in bw is awesome on M-E, I prefer it over ISO160.

Rigid hood is not perfect, too close with aperture ring. Cheap conical one is so much better. Focus tab and focus feel are good for handling. Even at -10C it is still smooth enough. Glass is typical Leitz from fifties. Showing its age with flashlight test, but not on pictures

Nokton 50 1.5 focus is stiff, which makes sense for precise focusing at 1.5, but sharp cuts on focusing ring are going to be problem to me in spring time, then I have cracks of fingers skin. Blue fringing on 1.5 with M-E is noticeable on portraits.
Hood is not high, but too wide.

Planar 50 2 aperture 1/3 clicks are annoying and takes too long to deal with. Zeiss filter is awesome and hood is one of the best, if not the best one. I didn't find it to be too contrasty lens at all, or to be too sharp, either.

Old 06-05-2017   #54
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

UPD: I have tried Canon 50 LTM 1.8 99$ lens and Industar-26M 9$ lens (on M-E, M8 and M3) both have focus tab at the top of the camera at one meter and annoying long focus throw. Something like 180 degrees.
Question, is Summilux 50 E43 II focus throw shorter?

Old 06-28-2017   #55
TRIago

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I have had a Rigid Summicron since 25 years, and I never felt the need to add another 50mm lens. Of course, I get curious, and I get other lenses over time. As Roland said, the CV 50/1.1 is a great lens. It is also a bargain buy.

Raid

Indeed. The Rigid is terrific, love it for color and b&w.

Old 06-28-2017   #56
sebastel
coarse art umbrascriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Question, is Summilux 50 E43 II focus throw shorter?
no.
the E43 summilux has the longest throw (according to finger feel), and no tab.
maybe the noctilux has an even longer throw, but its bigger diameter makes it easier to use.

cheers,
sebastian

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses.