Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 ED for $999 at Goodwill
Old 04-19-2017   #1
Chubberino
-

Nikon Super CoolScan 5000 ED for $999 at Goodwill

I've been looking at options to scan my film. Of course, in the process of researching options I've learned about the 5000 ED and how great of a legacy scanner it is.

I wander into my local Goodwill and lo and beold, on the shelf behind the counter is this very scanner. I start to get excited hoping for the deal of the century and ask to see it. There it is, $999 on the tag.

Included was the slide holder and two cables, power and usb. Unfortunately, Goodwill has changed their policy in recent years where you can return an item but only to exchange for something of equal value at the time of the exchange, so that was far too much of a gamble as, really, how often am I going to find something worth $999 at Goodwill, lol?

It did power on and seemed okay but just too much of a risk and really, the odds of someone donating such a nice piece of equipment that has no issues is pretty slim.

Old 04-19-2017   #2
kiemchacsu

Is the SA21 included?
It's quite expensive if you buy it alone

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 04-19-2017   #3
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
Is the SA21 included?
It's quite expensive if you buy it alone
Nope, that was another reason I passed. The risk is worthless for that price when I can purchase it at a similar price point on eBay and have the protection of eBay in case things go wrong.

Old 04-19-2017   #4
Huss

That sounds like the most expensive item sold at a Goodwill, ever!

Old 04-19-2017   #5
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
That sounds like the most expensive item sold at a Goodwill, ever!
Definitely one of the most I've seen.

Old 04-19-2017   #6
Godfrey
somewhat colored

... most expensive ...

The Good Will nearby here often has cars for sale... I've seen BMW and Mercedes cars on the lot a couple of times!

I agree: $1000 for a Coolscan 5000ED that you cannot test before buying seems a bit of a leap for a non-returnable item.

G

Old 04-19-2017   #7
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
... most expensive ...

The Good Will nearby here often has cars for sale... I've seen BMW and Mercedes cars on the lot a couple of times!

I agree: $1000 for a Coolscan 5000ED that you cannot test before buying seems a bit of a leap for a non-returnable item.

G
Absolutely.

Old 04-26-2017   #8
Chubberino
-

Well, as a follow-up, I went in and asked if they could do any better because it was unsurprisingly still sitting there and holy ****, I got it for $300. I have it plugged in now and everything seems to work as Vuescan recognizes it and the front light is not blinking and stays solid. It only has the MA-21 and I have no slides to test it, lol. I don't quite know how to proceed next. Any help would be great.

Old 04-26-2017   #9
fdarnell

Quite a find If you turn it on and everything is recognized, you could try scanning with nothing, but without anything to focus on it might be problematic. If you have empty slide mounts you can cut a negative to fit in one of them and scan that.

You will need a strip film holder for negs. They are on ebay. The one that was designed for the 5000 is quite expensive. I used the older one with no issues on my Coolscan V - I think it's FH-2. You can get them for around $50-$60 on ebay. The FH-3's go for a lot more. They might be a little less fiddly, but at 3-4x the price, I went with the older one.

Old 04-26-2017   #10
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdarnell View Post
Quite a find If you turn it on and everything is recognized, you could try scanning with nothing, but without anything to focus on it might be problematic. If you have empty slide mounts you can cut a negative to fit in one of them and scan that.

You will need a strip film holder for negs. They are on ebay. The one that was designed for the 5000 is quite expensive. I used the older one with no issues on my Coolscan V - I think it's FH-2. You can get them for around $50-$60 on ebay. The FH-3's go for a lot more. They might be a little less fiddly, but at 3-4x the price, I went with the older one.
Thanks very much. Just went and got the FH-2. It actually won't scan as there is nothing in the tray. I have no slide trays or anything so I'll just wait for the adapter to arrive and I think I'll get an SA-21 as well just for the hell of it. At this price jumping in seems okay and not too much of a risk. It may need an internal cleaning but we'll see.

Old 04-26-2017   #11
Chubberino
-

Alright it did do a test scan with nothing in, so here are the results in screen capture form.

What's that blinking/shrinking circle? obviously not animated in the pic I posted but it is in VueScan

Old 04-26-2017   #12
JoeLopez

Sounds like quite a find indeed!
Our local stores camera prices really fluxuate, I've scored a few mice deals, but other are at full retail. They may have an 'ebay guy' working part time or something

Other gear: Nikon FE2, F3/T & D7100, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 35mm f2, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL

My Flickr | My ebay

Old 04-26-2017   #13
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLopez View Post
Sounds like quite a find indeed!
Our local stores camera prices really fluxuate, I've scored a few mice deals, but other are at full retail. They may have an 'ebay guy' working part time or something
I've done some hunting in your neck of the woods, just gotta keep at it. Good deals abound.

Old 04-26-2017   #14
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Not at Goodwill but at a local Thrift store...a few years ago...
Leica M2 for $1200...I don't recall if there was a lens or not...I passed...
I did buy a Canon Power Shot ELPH 100 last week for $11...waiting for a charger...worth the gamble...
pf

Old 04-26-2017   #15
Chris101
summicronia

I don't know what the blinking circle is. It's always there, but doesn't affect anything.

Old 04-26-2017   #16
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris101 View Post
I don't know what the blinking circle is. It's always there, but doesn't affect anything.
Cool, good to know

Old 05-01-2017   #17
Chubberino
-

Welp, got the SA-21 today, and holy ****, this thing works perfectly. Now on to the scanning!

Old 05-02-2017   #18
brbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubberino View Post
What's that blinking/shrinking circle? obviously not animated in the pic I posted but it is in VueScan
It's the focusing point placement indicator. You can click&drag it around to select the film area that you want to use for autofocusing.

Old 05-02-2017   #19
kiemchacsu

Quote:
Welp, got the SA-21 today, and holy ****, this thing works perfectly. Now on to the scanning!
So, how much did you pay in total to make it works?
Anyways, congrats on the find.

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market

Old 05-02-2017   #20
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brbo View Post
It's the focusing point placement indicator. You can click&drag it around to select the film area that you want to use for autofocusing.
Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiemchacsu View Post
So, how much did you pay in total to make it works?
Anyways, congrats on the find.
The SA-21 cost me $90. I also bought and FH-2 strip just in case I need another option to scan with the MA-21. That cost me $40. And then Vuescan for $80. So an additional $210 on top of the $300 makes all in for $510 on the whole setup. I may get it cleaned or I may attempt that myself but really , It's quite the score regardless.

Old 05-02-2017   #21
rfaspen

What a great outcome.

Over the last 10 years or so, the Goodwill in my town has gone from a real thrift store to a head-scratcher. Items are typically priced over new retail. Sometimes its ridiculous. Even used Classico spaghetti sauce jars are $1.99 each. ??? New jars filled with delicious sauce are $1.59 at the grocery store. The overpricing can be frustrating because I occasionally find something of interest only to see it priced at some ludicrous level where even if I complained and they dropped the price (which they don't as a policy) it would still be overpriced.

I only still go there because there's one person in the back room who has a decent sense of pricing and their stuff occasionally gets out on the floor. But its just one person, and they must work very part time.

I once showed a dirty, scratched up electrical junction box (with the original retail price tag still attached) to the the manager. Brand new retail price with warranty: $8.99, heavily used goodwill price: $29.99. I didn't get an answer for the discrepancy, she just politely took the item into the backroom for "reassessment" and that's it. I'm left standing there and wondering. I find a lot of similarly overpriced things but usually I just leave them and wonder where they go because I often don't see them on my next visit. I suspect our Goodwill is gouging a lot of people.....unwittingly?

The other thrift stores in town are completely normal. Whew. And the employees are pleasant too.

Old 05-02-2017   #22
Chubberino
-

Yeah, Goodwill has gone down in quality in Los Angeles as well. Harder to find good deals but they do exist and the amount of places to check is obscene here so other stores can help to pick up the slack.

Old 05-02-2017   #23
SaveKodak

Just get a Coolscan V for much less $. I don't even think that's a great price for a CS-5K.

Old 05-02-2017   #24
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Just get a Coolscan V for much less $. I don't even think that's a great price for a CS-5K.
Awesome! How much did you get it for?

Old 05-02-2017   #25
kxl
Social Documentary

Congrats! Next step: a simple DIY mod to the SA-21 to allow scanning of a full roll of film, just like SA-30 does.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence. ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 05-02-2017   #26
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kxl View Post
Congrats! Next step: a simple DIY mod to the SA-21 to allow scanning of a full roll of film, just like SA-30 does.
Cool, I'll have to look into that. The spool kit is so ridiculously priced, lol.

Old 05-04-2017   #27
Chubberino
-

Apparently SaveKodak didn't get the deal he alluded to lol

Old 05-04-2017   #28
rfaspen

Quote:
Yeah, Goodwill has gone down in quality in Los Angeles as well. Harder to find good deals but they do exist and the amount of places to check is obscene here so other stores can help to pick up the slack.
There's a lot of thrift stores in SoCal. In general the pickings have become less interesting as a result of the great recession. The whole economic downturn had changed the thrift store dynamic substantially. About the same time, film cameras in thrift shops died out too (the glut of closet cleanings has run its course )

Regardless, I'm really happy to hear about your recent score. I wish I were so lucky! I suppose that's why I still occasionally visit the local thrift shops (including Goodwill). You just never know.....

Old 05-04-2017   #29
Chubberino
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfaspen View Post
There's a lot of thrift stores in SoCal. In general the pickings have become less interesting as a result of the great recession. The whole economic downturn had changed the thrift store dynamic substantially. About the same time, film cameras in thrift shops died out too (the glut of closet cleanings has run its course )

Regardless, I'm really happy to hear about your recent score. I wish I were so lucky! I suppose that's why I still occasionally visit the local thrift shops (including Goodwill). You just never know.....
Yeah, the you never know aspect is what makes it enticing.