Originally Posted by raid
How do you download a firmware update to the Leica camera? On the card?
On the Leica website where you download the firmware file there is an accompanying text instruction file. The firmware download arrives as a zip file (for example m9-1_176.zip) that must be unzipped to reveal contents (for example m9-1_176.upd) which you copy to an SD card in the top-level of the file structure...
Instructions for updating the LEICA M9 Firmware
1. Format an SD memory card in your LEICA M9.
2. Turn off the camera and insert the card into an SD card reader – either integrated or connected to your computer. (A reader is required for Firmware updates).
3. Download the Firmware file from the Leica M9 site using the “UPDATES” link and unzip the file.
4. Save the unzipped file (for instance m9-1_176.upd) at the top level of the card’s folder structure.
5. Remove the card properly from your card reader, insert the card into the camera and close the bottom cover.
6. Turn on the camera using the main switch and wait for at least 3 seconds before continuing with step 7.
7. Confirm the prompt that appears in the monitor as to whether you want to update the firmware on the camera (for example to version 1.176).
The update process takes around 180 seconds. You will then be prompted to restart the camera using the main switch.
8. Turn the camera off and back on again.
• If the battery does not have sufficient charge, you will see a corresponding warning message.
• If you update the firmware on your M9, the camera will be set back to the default settings. This also applies to the folder and file numbers.