Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Lens hood for Jupiter-3
Old 12-19-2009   #1
luiman
shadowgrapher

Lens hood for Jupiter-3

I have a problem with the lens hood mounted on my Jupiter-3: the lens hood Heavystars http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-40-5mm...item53de3cbb80 produces some vignetting when I use the yellow filter. Could you recommend a lens hood fit for the Jupiter-3 with a filter installed? Thanks in advance to anyone who wants to help me.

Luigi

Old 12-19-2009   #2
brainwood
Registered Film User

I have had similar problems with small diameter hoods. I now use a large diameter push fit hood.
The one I have is to fit 42mm ( the external diameter of the J3) and takes a standard 55mm snap cap. This seems to works well with the J3 as filters can be fitted regardless of the hood which pushes over the outside of the filter/lens and its large enough not to give any vignetting problems

This one on ebay looks similar http://cgi.ebay.com/42mm-push-fit-BD...item563799ce47

edit - the lens hood is pictured attached to my J3 in my avatar pic

No connection to seller

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Last edited by brainwood : 12-19-2009 at 13:50.

Old 12-19-2009   #3
luiman
shadowgrapher

Thanks for the advice: the idea of pushing beyond the outside of the filter seems very good to avoid vignetting. I could also try this http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-Lens-Ho...item2a036b85bc , but it seems a little intrusive on my Bessa R2A.

PS: lens hood in your avatar pic looks great!

Old 12-19-2009   #4
brainwood
Registered Film User

I should say the hood I have does intrude into the viewfinder on my IIIg and FED 2 but despite the masking I really haven't found this to be a problem. I have found the trade off of seeing the whole frame or having a deep lens hood to come down on the side of the hood. As it's a push fit you can always pull it off if you really need to see the effected part of the frame or for times when you simply dont need a hood. If ypu do use one it also has the added benefit of pushing up against the aperture ring which helps hold the ring at a set aperture.

RFF Gallery

chrisbrainwood.co.uk

Old 12-19-2009   #5
luiman
shadowgrapher

Yes, there are more advantages than disadvantages, firstly the fact that this is a bayonet and not a screw mount... I must absolutely try it!

Old 12-20-2009   #6
Santafecino
button man

Yow! Are you sure the heavystar lens hood vignettes on the J-3? I've been using it and saw no vignetting, but I guess you need to use f:22 and a distance shot to tell for sure. I always have a filter on my J-3 at least for protection.

One option, if I must, is the rectangular FSU lens hood. The one that has the price molded in (25 kopecks). Tells you something about a managed economy.

But does the beautiful heavystar knockoff of the Leitz 12585 really vignette???

Last edited by Santafecino : 12-20-2009 at 17:55. Reason: misspelled

Old 12-20-2009   #7
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I used a heavy star straight sided 40.5mm hood on my J-3 when I had one and I don't recall that I had any vignetting trouble. I am now using a 1950's vintage Voigtlander hood that might work well with the J-3:

I no longer have a J-3 but use it on my J-8. Actually on all my 50mm lenses with 40.5mm threads.
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 12-21-2009   #8
luiman
shadowgrapher

Some pictures have come this way, with hood and yellow filter. I think this is vignetting in the corners:

I will try an Heavy star straight sided 40.5...
Thanks!
Luigi

Last edited by luiman : 12-21-2009 at 00:15.

Old 12-21-2009   #9
luiman
shadowgrapher

Old 12-21-2009   #10
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

I have a B&W filter on my J8 and J3 and the Leitz Summicron barn door hood grips onto that rather tight. Still allows for the aperture ring to be set without removing it, its very large but has a see-through part so minimal block of the viewfinder. Looks very classic on the camera too

Old 12-21-2009   #11
luiman
shadowgrapher

Thanks for your advices. The strange thing is that that lens hood Heavy star make problem only on the J-3 and not on J-8. Same Heavy star with the diameter 39 works fine on the Color Skopar 35 mm...

Old 12-21-2009   #12
varjag
Eugene Zaikonnikov

The front lens is bigger on J3 than on J8, so offcourse. But I've never seen that effect on my J3, although I shot thousands of frames with it.

My Flickr

Old 12-21-2009   #13
Brian Sweeney

I use a 40.5mm screw in hood made for the Nikkorex 35/2. At least one thing was useful from the Fixed-Lens Nikkorex SLR line! I always keep a filter on the lens as well. I picked up a lot of Schneider MC filters from Popflash.

With the 1956 KMZ J-3 stopped down:

Wide-Open

Old 12-21-2009   #14
luiman
shadowgrapher

Thanks again for your information.s I still do not understand: this photo was taken the same day, always with filter and lens hood, but there is no vignetting ...

Last edited by luiman : 12-21-2009 at 05:17.

Old 12-21-2009   #15
raid
Dad Photographer

I use a squarish push on lens hood by Walz. No vignetting can be detected.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 12-21-2009   #16
Brian Sweeney

Vignetting is also affected by of F-Stop and Distance. Wide-open and infinity focus will be the worst case. At close focus, the focal length of a lens is effectively longer, and less vignetting occurs.

Old 12-21-2009   #17
luiman
shadowgrapher

Yes, I will try to do some shots without hood. I hope this is only a problem of vignetting, which can be solved by an appropriate lens hood, and not a problem of this lens.

Old 12-21-2009   #18
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

The rectangular plastic push-on hood is cheap and effective: but it falls off when bumped even lightly.

As Santafecino says above, vignetting is worst at infinity and small aperture. This has been my experience too.
Flickr gallery

Last edited by payasam : 12-21-2009 at 07:50. Reason: addition

Old 12-21-2009   #19
ferider

I recommend the small wide angle hoods from heavystar, like [email protected] Does not intrude in viewfinder, does not vignette with filter, and gives enough protection.

Old 12-21-2009   #20
ferider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Sweeney View Post
Vignetting is also affected by of F-Stop and Distance. Wide-open and infinity focus will be the worst case. At close focus, the focal length of a lens is effectively longer, and less vignetting occurs.
Vignetting is worst at infinity and closed down, at least to f5.6 or higher.

Old 12-21-2009   #21
luiman
shadowgrapher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferider View Post
I recommend the small wide angle hoods from heavystar, like [email protected] Does not intrude in viewfinder, does not vignette with filter, and gives enough protection.
Yes, this is perhaps the definitive solution, I think. I've already ordered ... Thanks!

Old 12-21-2009   #22
jmkelly
rangefinder user

I have one of these vented hoods from heavystars that I sometimes use for my 40.5mm-thread lenses, though I have not noticed any vignetting with my Sonnars and variants. But then I rarely shoot them stopped down at infinity. It's all about the available darkness.

Old 12-21-2009   #23
Brian Sweeney

Quote:
Vignetting is worst at infinity and closed down, at least to f5.6 or higher.
Probably different source of vignetting in my case. The vignetting inherent in the optical design of a lens is worse when used wide-open, but is still called vignetting. The 50mm f1 Noctilux is one example. I've never checked to see if vignetting is better or worse when used with an improper hood.

Old 12-21-2009   #24
luiman
shadowgrapher

Quote:
Probably different source of vignetting in my case. The vignetting inherent in the optical design of a lens is worse when used wide-open, but is still called vignetting. The 50mm f1 Noctilux is one example. I've never checked to see if vignetting is better or worse when used with an improper hood.
Also seems to me that the vignetting due to the drop in brightness at the edges of the fast lens is greater at wide-open and visible especially when photographing uniformly illuminated scenes (i.e. the sky). I just wanted to know if the vignetting in my pictures is optical or mechanical (ie, due to the hood).

Old 12-22-2009   #25
ferider

Quote:
Understood and agreed.

What I meant is that if a hood causes vignetting, it's more visible at larger f stops (due to DOF). Seen with Nikkor 50/1.4, Canon 50/1.2, etc.

Some lenses have quite strong "optical vignetting" (due to lack of better term, undersized entry/exit pupils ?) that shows without hood. Examples: Nokton 40/1.4, Nikkor 50/1.4, Noctilux, etc. Typically at shortest focal length (infinity) and wide open.

Roland.

Old 12-22-2009   #26
payasam
a.k.a. Mukul Dube

The impression persists that luiman opened this thread by speaking of vignetting caused by a lens hood.
Flickr gallery

Old 12-22-2009   #27
luiman
shadowgrapher

Quote:
Originally Posted by payasam View Post
The impression persists that luiman opened this thread by speaking of vignetting caused by a lens hood.
Yes, it is. In a second step, the optical vignetting entered into the discussion, but I hope that in my case is an inappropriate lens hood and not a macro defect of J-3 ...

Old 02-15-2011   #28
Roel

Ferider,

I just found this post and am looking for a hood for the J-3. The link does not exist anymore. Do you perhaps have a picture/new link of the hood mentioned?

Thanks,
Roel

Quote:

Old 02-15-2011   #29
raid
Dad Photographer

This discussion is useful no matter whether it is optical vignetting or lens hood vignetting.

Roland: the ebay auction mentioned does not work.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Same problem with the Lomography Jupiter 3+
Old 02-08-2017   #30
Robert Lai

Same problem with the Lomography Jupiter 3+

I tried the typical "normal" lens vented hood, and noted vignetting from the hood + B&W MRC UV combination. It seems that the Jupiter may actually be 50mm instead of 52mm that the Leica lenses happen to be.

I bought instead a 40.5mm "wide angle lens hood" that is supposed to be OK for 35mm lenses, and it is vented. Several are available on ebay for about $5 from Asia. This is shallower, and it has not produced any cutoff in the corners from physical obstruction.

Due to the shallowness of the hood, the pinch type 40.5mm cap can be used on the lens.

Old 02-11-2017   #31
Oleg

I have an original FED hoods (rectangular with rounded corners), they are should fits good onto J-3 lens. Brand new, any quantity available...

Old 02-12-2017   #32
Elmar Lang

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbiemer View Post
I used a heavy star straight sided 40.5mm hood on my J-3 when I had one and I don't recall that I had any vignetting trouble. I am now using a 1950's vintage Voigtlander hood that might work well with the J-3:

I no longer have a J-3 but use it on my J-8. Actually on all my 50mm lenses with 40.5mm threads.
Rob
This is exactly the same hood I've received back in 1979, along with my grandfather's Contax-II outfit, still mounted on his 50/1,5 Sonnar.

I had a J-3 already and this lens hood did a perfect job on it too.

Of course, the original, USSR-made hoods would be -also philologically- the best choice.

The Voigtländer hood is not rare and usually is unexpensive.

E.L.