Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Braun Paxette SuperIII Automatic and King Regula IIId
Old 07-30-2007   #1
yefeihe

Hi, Friends,

Has anybody had experience with both cameras? They are both interchangeable lens rangefinders with a bayonet mount. I think I have read they are similar. I wonder if they are interchangeable, sort of like the Bessamatic and Retina Reflex kind of way. Braun was really into something, churning out three different mounts for their rangefinders -- the screw mount for the original Paxette, this bayonet mount, and then a variation of the Retina mount for the Colorette (and Paxette Reflex). Only Mamiya could offer more varieties in lens mounts

Cheers,

Yefei

Old 07-30-2007   #2
yefeihe

I just noticed that both cameras use a Prontor SVS shutter. I wonder if this was actually Prontor's attempt to compete against Compur's interchangeable lens mount used on Retina, Bessamatic etc. The lenses all seem to be marked with "SLK".

Yefei

Old 02-22-2017   #3
KnipsOmat

Quote:
Originally Posted by yefeihe View Post
I just noticed that both cameras use a Prontor SVS shutter. I wonder if this was actually Prontor's attempt to compete against Compur's interchangeable lens mount used on Retina, Bessamatic etc. The lenses all seem to be marked with "SLK".

Yefei
Nor sure if anybody is still interested after all these years, but anyway...

It was. The Prontor SLK bayonet was made available to various camera manufacturers to provide interchangeable lens mounts.

Most important ones were Braun, King and Bolta, using the SLK mount for a variety of their camera models. But even though it was very, very similar between Braun Paxette, King Regula and Bolta Photvit 36 cameras, the lenses are not interchangeable. The SLR mount has been deliberately made incompatible by placing pins for rangefinder actuation and levers for aperture actuation in different locations for Braun, King and Bolta.

So you cannot use a lens intended for a Braun Paxette on a King Regula or vice versa. Between models of the same manufacturer, the lenses should be interchangeable, however. It definitely works for various models of King Regula, I can use any Regula lens on any King SLK bayonet body (IIIc, IIId/IIId Automatic and Super / Super Automatic).

Cheers,
Andreas

Old 02-23-2017   #4
yefeihe

Thanks, Andreas. I have never heard of Bolta. I did, however, discover Franka Solida 35, another interchangeable lens camera using the Prontor SLK bayonet mount.

Old 02-23-2017   #5
yefeihe

Interesting. I wonder how the Franka Solida 35 mount compares to those three.

Old 02-23-2017   #6
yefeihe

Quote:
Originally Posted by yefeihe View Post
Interesting. I wonder how the Franka Solida 35 mount compares to those three.
I just found some images of the Franka Solida 35 mount on the web. In fact it looks to be a screw mount, more like the Diax interchangeable cameras' mount.