Color head LED replacement
Old 03-09-2017   #1
Registered User
elerion is offline
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 23
Color head LED replacement

I reciently replaced my enlarger's color head light to a 12V 6W 4000ēK LED.

The original light was a 12V 100W halogen which was a little bit warmer (probably near 3400ēK).

As expected, the filtrations changed towards somekind of red dominant (the prints come out warmer with the new cooler light).

Is it just a matter of modifying the filtrations, so once I nail them, I can keep on using LED light? or will I face problems?
After my first 12 test, I still didn't get the right balance.

  Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2017   #2
Registered User
john_s is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 790
Just an armchair contemplation, not based on any experience: The incandescent light has a continuous spectrum, obviously with some bias towards red. The LED spectrum might be somewhat discontinuous as it (as far as I know) is composed of distinct narrow(ish) colours that together look "white" to our sight. The emulsion of your colour paper is also made up of three(I think) different coloured emulsions each with its somewhat narrow spectral sensitivity. Maybe if the colours that make up the LED "white" don't line up well with the three colours of the paper emulsion then could it cause anomalies with the filtration? I don't know, just musing.
  Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 23:23.

vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.