Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > back alley's In The Bag

back alley's In The Bag Joe's quest for the ultimate Camera Bag! So many bags .. so little time ...

looking for tips on travel luggage
Old 01-31-2017   #1
back alley
IMAGES

looking for tips on travel luggage

i'm no world traveler...barely leave the couch these days...but i'm looking for one of those bags on wheels and pop up handles...not for gear but clothes.
my understanding is that it needs to be 21 inches high at the max in order to fit inside the overhead compartment of the airplane. soft sides seem to be the preferred material along with 4 wheels.
any info/tips/experiences shared will be appreciated...and brands too!

xe3...xt20
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 01-31-2017   #2
Moto Mark

I'm a big fan of padded camera inserts, they allow you to use any bag you like and your gear will be safe.

These days I've been using the Tenba inserts and Tool Boxes:
http://www.tenba.com/categories/tools-accessories.aspx

I have a regular unobtrusive black carry on bag with rollers and I have a old beat up military style shoulder bag for when I'm out and about. Neither one screams "expensive gear inside".

Old 01-31-2017   #3
kxl
Social Documentary

Get the "spinner" type of wheeled carry-on luggage. They're four-wheelers so you can push them in front of you or alongside, instead of dragging your luggage behind you.

The ebags brand is a good value.

http://www.ebags.com/category/luggag...rigin=left_nav

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 01-31-2017   #4
madNbad

Look for luggage that is not too heavy. Airlines are starting to look at not only the size of the bag but the weight too. My wife and I are in the process of replacing our old Victorinox, which has served us very well but its' older design and weight prompted a change. We decided to go with Travelpro. It's much lighter than the old luggage, has the four wheel spinners and is not too expensive.

Old 01-31-2017   #5
Peter Wijninga

As a perpetual traveler I've gone through many carry-on bags. Not cheap but the best in terms of durability and weight: Samsonite. Check for sales. Cheers, Peter

Old 01-31-2017   #6
Chuck Albertson

I travel a lot, and prefer Tumi - well-designed and very durable, and you pay for that. Go for the two-wheeled granny bag, a bit lighter and more compact than the four-wheelers. Keep in mind that "allowable" sizes vary from carrier to carrier, and especially from aircraft to aircraft - what fits into the overhead bin of a 777 may not work on a regional jet.

Old 01-31-2017   #7
back alley
IMAGES

i travel by plane about every 3 years so a lesser built brand might survive with me...lightweight, easy mobility are key points for me.

xe3...xt20

Old 01-31-2017   #8
Pentode

Wheels tend to break after a while. Look for the most durable wheels you can find. There's a good chance the bag will outlast the wheels.

You may want to look at some hybrid bags such as those by Osprey or Eagle Creek. They are a cross between a small duffel and a more rigid carry-on bag. They can be a little easier to squish into a smaller overhead bin. I've had excellent luck with Eagle Creek's products.

Old 01-31-2017   #9
rybolt

Travel Pro for me. I got tired of replacing bags every couple of years and dragging a one-wheel bag through airports. I just bought a Travel Pro 21 inch Spinner made to International carry on specs, to use as a camera carrier. I'd been using a Tenba rolling case but finally realized that I didn't need the armoring of the Tenba as it was never going to be checked. The Tenba weighs almost 12 pounds empty. The Travel Pro weighs 5 pounds empty.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 01-31-2017   #10
Orbiter

You might check out this source of travel-related gear and information: https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/travel-bags

The link points you to the bags they sell. I've bought several things from them over the years and have been happy with everything.

Old 01-31-2017   #11
Dogman

I second Travel Pro luggage. I think the Crew series is about midline--I have a couple of Crew 9 pieces but it could be up to Crew 10 or Crew 11 by now. Seems to be well made, certainly enough for my only rare to occasional air flights. I also have a piece from the Marquis (?) line which is lighter weight and doesn't seem as durable but it's okay. Probably available on Amazon, at least it was when I bought mine.

The biggest downside to the Travel Pro luggage, at least for me, is the handle framework takes up space inside the bag which means you have less room for stuff and the inside area is not perfectly square. Not a big problem but just something of which to be aware.

Old 01-31-2017   #12
KenR

I would never put my photo gear in my carry-on suitcase as occationally there is no room in the overhead bins because they are either too full or too small (on some puddle jumper flights). If you have to gate check your suitcase you would lose sight of your gear, perhaps with disasterous consequences. Therefore if I carry a camera it is in a small "personal" bag that I know will always be with me. Happy trails.

Old 01-31-2017   #13
back alley
IMAGES

i plan to use my tenba cooper bag for the trip, it has a back that can slip over the handle of the carry on. i'll also add my meds/syringes and food bars for the trip.

xe3...xt20

Old 01-31-2017   #14
madNbad

When you pack your medications, original prescription bottles are best. They're labeled and take the guess work out of what it is. For the injectables, a copy of the prescription should suffice.

Old 01-31-2017   #15
back alley
IMAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
When you pack your medications, original prescription bottles are best. They're labeled and take the guess work out of what it is. For the injectables, a copy of the prescription should suffice.
the injectables come in a box with my info printed on it...i usually put everything in a clear baggie also.

xe3...xt20

Old 01-31-2017   #16
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Quote:
"to fit inside the overhead compartment of the airplane".
The rest doesn't rally matter. Then I read it first my impression was it is about luggage bag which is checked in to be abused. But you are asking about regular not to be under abuse bag. Any bag with allowed size will do.
One thing to mention. For this overhead compartment thing I have purchased black, leather and fancy, flaying case on wheels and with handle which most of the slick pilots and slim stewardesses are pictured with. Went to Pearson with it and was told what at Pearson (GTAA) it is not allowed as
Quote:
"to fit inside the overhead compartment of the airplane".
because of the ... wheels. They forced me to check it in.

Old 01-31-2017   #17
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
I would never put my photo gear in my carry-on suitcase as occationally there is no room in the overhead bins because they are either too full or too small (on some puddle jumper flights). If you have to gate check your suitcase you would lose sight of your gear, perhaps with disasterous consequences. Therefore if I carry a camera it is in a small "personal" bag that I know will always be with me. Happy trails.
Yes, I was about to say that too. There was one time I flew on either American Eagle or Virgin Air, the overhead bin was so small that my soft duffle bag had to be checked in in the luggage storage. (Yes it was small as that used to be my children's travel bag when we went on a weekend car trip.) So never plan on carrying your camera equipment in any carry-on bags except in a small camera or messenger bag.

Old 01-31-2017   #18
majid
Fazal Majid

As with camera bags or tripods, you can buy once, cry once, or make a false economy by buying cheap and end up paying far more over the long term, while still having to deal with shoddy luggage that lets you down when you can least afford it.

I recommend Briggs & Riley luggage. They may not be quite as stylish as Tumi or Hartmann, but they are well designed and unlike anyone else they have a lifetime no-questions-asked warranty, no matter who is responsible - just ship the bag back to them and you'll get it back within 2 weeks as good as new.

I have a bunch of bags from their Baseline series in khaki for consistency, but the warranty applies across their entire line.

I don't recommend their expandable bags in large sizes. The mechanism is fine for carry-on sized bags, but is not robust enough for full-sized ones.

Old 01-31-2017   #19
back alley
IMAGES

just to be clear...i NEVER check gear...as i said above, i'll be using my tenba cooper bag for gear and meds.
i've seen a couple of brands advertise a lifetime warranty...hard to beat if the customer service is good.

xe3...xt20

Old 01-31-2017   #20
rybolt

I fly worldwide and usually for 30+ days at a time. I take quite a bit of camera equipment with me as I'm usually places where I can't replace or repair if it shuts down. Since my only option is to carry the equipment onboard I make certain that the aircraft is capable of handling the camera bag in the overhead compartment. Sometimes this leads to some odd routings but I won't fly anything smaller than an MD80. I'm also a musician and go through the same process when I need to fly with a guitar. My guitar case is an ATA approved case but it does fit in the overhead on an MD80 or larger aircraft so that's what I go with.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 01-31-2017   #21
Tin

I didn't intend to check my small duffle bag, but my bag, as well as the carry-on bags of several passenger around me, were checked at the gate. and once we got into the plane, we understood why.

Old 01-31-2017   #22
Chuck Albertson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
I didn't intend to check my small duffle bag, but my bag, as well as the carry-on bags of several passenger around me, were checked at the gate. and once we got into the plane, we understood why.
Good point. Be sure to check the fare class of the ticket you're buying. In the States, at least, some "basic fares" come with strings attached, including no carry-on baggage, and/or you board last and find the overhead bins are already full.

Old 01-31-2017   #23
Bill Clark

My clothes bag:

18 x 14 x 8. Two wheels, pull out handle.

That's all I need. Fits easily in overhead of most planes.

On a recent 2.5 week vacation got more than I needed in it including a suit.

Camera bag is an ONI and it fits under the seat in front of me.

I learned what and how to pack from being in the Navy.

Old 01-31-2017   #24
marcr1230

I travel a lot, I've used a Samsonite 4-wheel spinner, it's the best carry on I've had
soft sides, correct size for overheard bin. nice padded handle

it's a Samsonite Silhouette spinner - there's a bunch of sizes, mine is the largest that is allowed as carry on I think

http://shop.samsonite.com/luggage/

Old 01-31-2017   #25
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

I noticed all the airline flight crews use Travel Pro luggage.
I bought one of their budget models for my occasional trips.

Chris

Old 01-31-2017   #26
taemo

wife and i are backpack travellers and she uses an osprey travel bag
http://www.ospreypacks.com/ca/en/cat.../wheeled-bags/
it's great as it has wheels and and backpack straps.
also the front can be unzipped and used as a day bag.

it's not cheap but well made, saves us on travelling as we dont have to check-in our bags, i use a 45L hiking bag)

Old 01-31-2017   #27
Ong

Realistically, I would say go for something with 2 wheels over 4 wheels.
2 major reasons, you get bigger wheels, meaning less likely to break apart or crack when taken off pavement. (Just an inherent design of having spinners sadly)
In addition 4 wheels will eat into the available linear dimension unless you don't mind the bag just being millimeters off the ground.

You're on the right track going with the fabric semi-rigid frame for carry on since you don't need the durability of a hard case if it's just for clothing and not sensitive equipment/camera gear.

Since you won't be traveling too often and, you may be better off saving some money in getting a regular but known brand name (ie. Antler, Victorinox, Samsonite, the usual suspects) but getting something in their mid-range level so you aren't breaking the bank for something you're not using too often, but will have a decent level of durability.

Worked with luggage until very recently so if you have any specific questions feel free to PM

Old 01-31-2017   #28
FrozenInTime

Functionality over style for me:
As a general carry on, I've been using the newish Pelican Air 1535 ( much lighter than the older cases )

http://www.pelican.com/us/en/product...air-case/1535/
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 01-31-2017   #29
kshapero
goin' fishin'

Been relying on Pathfinder luggage for decades. My carry on is almost 20 years old. Has taken a real beating but keeps on ticking.

http://www.pathfinderluggage.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-31-2017   #30
back alley
IMAGES

my airline max size is 21 inches tall...locally, samsonite has some tremendous sales at a local dept. store. my trip isn't until summer so i have time to do more research and shopping...
amazing but i'm finding luggage almost as interesting as camera bags!!
might spark the travel bug in me...

xe3...xt20

Old 01-31-2017   #31
kshapero
goin' fishin'

Travel luggage can definitely cause GAS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 01-31-2017   #32
narsuitus

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
...any info/tips/experiences shared will be appreciated...and brands too!
Personally, I prefer hard cases for my clothes and/or photo equipment.

Hard Cases by Narsuitus, on Flickr

Old 01-31-2017   #33
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybolt View Post
Travel Pro for me. I got tired of replacing bags every couple of years and dragging a one-wheel bag through airports. I just bought a Travel Pro 21 inch Spinner made to International carry on specs, to use as a camera carrier. I'd been using a Tenba rolling case but finally realized that I didn't need the armoring of the Tenba as it was never going to be checked. The Tenba weighs almost 12 pounds empty. The Travel Pro weighs 5 pounds empty.
I'll second the opinion on the TravelPro... but my wife and I disagree on the issue of the 4 wheel spinner type. She likes 'em, I will stick with 2 wheels, thanks! Much easier to tow around on sloped surfaces, escalators, stairs, etc. The spinner seems to want to roll off on its own if you take your hand off the handle. They need to make 'em with a foot-operated latching brake.

In addition to the 21" TravelPro for the overhead I have my camera bag to shove under the seat ahead, a bit larger than absolutely necessary for the gear.... because also in that bag is my iPad Mini (back pocket), noise-buster headset, chocolates, boarding passes, turtleneck if it gets chilly... Every year we fly to Hawaii in Oct or Nov and it's cold when we get back!

Have fun shopping....

Old 01-31-2017   #34
Pablito
coco frío

I travel often and I'm fussy about luggage. For what it's worth, here is my take:

1. I HATE the bags with four wheels. They are fine for perfectly smooth, level ground like at an airport. But if you have to haul your bag from a metro station to a hotel over rough pavement, or up or down an incline the stability of the two wheel bag is far greater. Also the wheels on the two wheel bag are recessed into the bag, and since they do not swivel, are a lot less likely to break off. I have seen countles 4-wheel bags going around the luggage carrousel with one of the wheels broken off.

2. Unless you have an authorized repair shop in your town or city, or unless you have a very expensive piece of luggage, warranty is of no consequence including lifetime warranty. This is because in order to ship your suitcase to a place that will repair it, you will have to pay shipping both directions. This can be expensive, and impractical especially considering that:

3. Stores like Marshall's often have brand name luggage like Samsonite, Victorinox, Eagle Creek and other brands at steep discounts, like 50% off list price.

Old 01-31-2017   #35
benlees

I agree two wheels are better than 4. Much more all terrain. Bigger wheels, bigger bearings= better most times. Carry on is often size and weight specific (often 22lbs/10kg max.). Lighter is better- provided its well made. Some name brand (expensive) 21" are more than 5kg! Half your allowance for an empty case. Yikes.

Old 02-01-2017   #36
Bob Michaels
nobody special

My suggestion is always avoid black or dark blue luggage. So often I am looking at 150 bags of which 140 are black or dark blue. Then there is that orange two wheel roller and that yellow duffel bag which are mine and stank out from the rest.

My Mountain Hardware duffle bag begin to have the fabric start to separate from its waterproof coating after 8 years of good use. They simply replaced it with a new one.

My Eagle Creek roller has been through a lot. Airports and baggage handlers are easy. It is dragging it along pot holed roads and bouncing up and down curbs and steps that are hard on luggage. And, I would really be in trouble if a had a wheel break on a trip out in the middle of no where. So when my orange Eagle Creek bag was stolen 6 years ago, I replaced it with another exactly the same model and color.

Old 02-01-2017   #37
shane_goguen

I travel every week for business, I use an REI 28 inch wheely beast duffel it's tough as nails. They do have a 22 inch model, and the olive version is on sale

Old 02-01-2017   #38
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenR View Post
This is good advice! I always carry my camera bag as my second carry-on luggage. I go as minimalist as possible for airline travel: one M film body; 2 or 3 lenses; and either an M9 or an even smaller digital like X100 or X10. It all fits in a F5XB or Retrospective 5. Anything more than that is for car trips only.

Old 02-01-2017   #39
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

A few years ago the carry-on travel size was 22 x 14 x 9. I knew they were talking about reducing it to 21" instead of 22." I gather from Joe's post that this has now happened? Or can you still carry on a 22" bag within the USA?

In recent years I bought several pieces of carry-on luggage from Sim's, a discount store in St. Louis, until they left town. They are less than half price! The nicest was "Delsey," which seems very well made. One is marked, "Ciao!" and the third is "Pierre Cardin." They have all held up well, though I may have to replace them with 21" bags if the 22" are no longer allowed.

Old 02-01-2017   #40
back alley
IMAGES

lots of delsey bags locally available...will have to check them out...thanks!

xe3...xt20