Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc

Hardware / Computers / Drives / etc This is the place to discuss the hardware to keep your digital pics more than just memories.

a mac question...
Old 11-02-2016   #1
back alley
IMAGES

a mac question...

i use a mac mini at home.
my macbook has finally died.
i have an ipad mini also.

i would like to get somethng a bit bigger than the ipad mini on which to process images...the mini is a bit small and while it does ok with developing apps (like snapseed) i'm wondering about being able to add something like photoshop elements...
the ipad pro looks good, the smaller one...does anyone know if i can add pse to the pro series ipads?
or is there something smaller/cheaper that mac offers that would accept pse?

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 11-02-2016   #2
nlubis

There's a range of adobe apps on the app store.
One that might be what you're looking for s Adobe Photoshop Express and Mix. But no photoshop elements I'm afraid.

Old 11-02-2016   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
i use a mac mini at home.
my macbook has finally died.
i have an ipad mini also.

i would like to get somethng a bit bigger than the ipad mini on which to process images...the mini is a bit small and while it does ok with developing apps (like snapseed) i'm wondering about being able to add something like photoshop elements...
the ipad pro looks good, the smaller one...does anyone know if i can add pse to the pro series ipads?
or is there something smaller/cheaper that mac offers that would accept pse?
The iPad Pro 9.7" is a much faster, higher spec performer than the iPad mini 3 (I have both and have compared directly).

Photoshop Elements is only available on macOS and Windows. There are other Adobe image processing apps for the iPad, but I don't use them. Instead, I use SnapSeed and Photogene, as well as PhotoRAW. Photogene is the most similar to PSE. There are lots of other apps that do photo editing as well, many are excellent.

(If you must have Photoshop Elements, then you should look at the just-announced MacBook Pro 13". It's nearly the size and weight of the MacBook Air 11" due to a much much thinner bezel surrounding the screen, and has quite a bit more performance.)

G

Old 11-02-2016   #4
nobbylon

I eventually got tired of the slow laptops and small screens. For the same kind of money as a new laptop you can get yourself a 2009/2010 mac pro 6 core ( sweet spot for photoshop) and a nice 24 Dell screen. If you have the space it really is worthwhile.

Old 11-02-2016   #5
back alley
IMAGES

the mac mini works fine for me but obviously it stays home.
i have tons of 'free' time at work and could work on images here for hours...but i need something portable...light weight...
so, barring getting a laptop and going with any ipad i'll need to stay with apps.

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1

Old 11-02-2016   #6
BillBingham2

Take a look at the max memory and the easy of install. I have my wife's old (2010 mid) Mac book pro maxed out at 16gb and an solid state drive to boot from and it runs very well. One son has what is now the last generation MacBook Pro and is very happy, the other switched to a HP with a 17 inch screen. Loves the screen but misses the speed of typing French on an English keyboard.

Ifixit.com has lots of great guidance, I got an adapter for a 2nd hard drive to replace the DVD with an adapter to use it external.

B2 (;->

Old 11-02-2016   #7
Darthfeeble
Accidental Photographer

Perhaps a used macbook might be the answer. It's a real computer and will run real programs, in fact you should be able to set it up with the existing software you have on the Mini.

Old 11-02-2016   #8
back alley
IMAGES

had not thought of used...hhmmm.

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1

Old 11-02-2016   #9
rybolt

check out the used laptops from OWC (macsales.com). They' re a reliable company and refurb everything they sell.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 11-02-2016   #10
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

I run Lightroom mobile on my iPad pro. It's a nice option, because you can sync it with your laptop or desktop with Lightroom, and your edits made on either machine are kept on both. When I'm done working with a given group of images (like after they have been delivered to the client, or when I'm happy with my "final" edits) I move them off the iPad and free that memory for other files, but Lightroom keeps little thumbnails so I can still view all my images. Another benefit is that the mobile version of Lightroom is free (or at least, it was...?) whether or not you are an Adobe subscriber.

Old 11-02-2016   #11
sevres_babylone

Do any of the iPad apps have layers like photoshop has?

Old 11-02-2016   #12
Dogman

I love my 27" iMac 5K and my iPad Air. But I think a used MacBook might be the best option for portable photo editing.

Old 11-02-2016   #13
BillBingham2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I love my 27" iMac 5K and my iPad Air. But I think a used MacBook might be the best option for portable photo editing.
Ahh yes the 27" iMac, Apple's answer to a Mac with all the portability of an 8x10 view camera.

You are right, a refurb MacBook air would be great.

Though I bet he has a messenger bag an iMac would fit in!

B2 (;->

Old 11-02-2016   #14
Godfrey
somewhat colored

If you want to buy a refurbished Apple system (iPad, MacBook, etc), you can get them with the standard warranty (and also get the AppleCare extended warranty) direct from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I've owned several refurbished Apple systems bought this way over the years. Only way to tell them apart from a new system is the lack of the fancy original packaging.

G

Old 11-02-2016   #15
Fuchs

I am using a 9.7 ipad pro with the pencil and use it to make quick edits on the go. The last upgradeable MBP (dual ssd, 16 gb, i7, 15") stays at home 100% of the time.
Apps like Astropad allow using the ipad + pencil as a graphics tablet to control LR and PS over your wifi network, an interesting and viable option.
My flickr

Old 11-03-2016   #16
Jim-st

Interesting thread: here in Brexitland Apple's prices for all MacBooks just went through the roof, but the iPads have held their price-points, likely because they're in a more competitive market segment. It has led me to re-consider my next purchase of a portable photo-editor, and the iPad Pro's look interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
The iPad Pro 9.7" is a much faster, higher spec performer than the iPad mini 3 (I have both and have compared directly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
I am using a 9.7 ipad pro with the pencil and use it to make quick edits on the go.
Godfrey and Fuchs: just wondering if either of you guys considered the 12.9" iPad Pro before opting for the 9.7" model: the bigger machine has more RAM and a faster processor, but it is said the 9.7" has a better display: was that the key to your purchase decision?

M9 : GX7 : GF1 : LX-100 : TZ10 : Trip 35 : Vito CLR : iPod Touch : Epson 3800

Old 11-03-2016   #17
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-st View Post
Interesting thread: here in Brexitland Apple's prices for all MacBooks just went through the roof, but the iPads have held their price-points, likely because they're in a more competitive market segment. It has led me to re-consider my next purchase of a portable photo-editor, and the iPad Pro's look interesting

---

Godfrey and Fuchs: just wondering if either of you guys considered the 12.9" iPad Pro before opting for the 9.7" model: the bigger machine has more RAM and a faster processor, but it is said the 9.7" has a better display: was that the key to your purchase decision?
Actually, I have one of those too (it was a department gift at the end of 2015—everyone was given one) and I later bought a 9.7" for myself because the 12.9" was such a good machine.

The difference in performance and even screen quality between the two iPad Pro models is small: you have to look for it to see it. They both run all my image processing apps very well. My 12.9 has 128G storage where the 9.7 has 256G storage, which helps.

I bought the 9.7 because the 12.9 was so useful but it seemed a bit large. If you're looking at an iPad Pro as a 13" laptop replacement and you're carrying equipment is setup for laptops, the 12.9 does extremely well as it's thinner than a MacBook Air and the screen is even better. The 9.7 form factor fits more of my camera bags well, however; I tend to use small bags like the Billingham Alice L2 or Tenba DNA 8 most of the time.

(I've kept the iPad mini 3 around as well because that fits in even smaller bags and is even lighter/thinner/smaller.)

The iPad Pro has become my "standard" computer in the past year. I tend to use the 9.7 and 12.9 more than my Mac systems because the iPads are so portable and run so long on a battery charge.

G

Old 11-03-2016   #18
back alley
IMAGES

the smaller ipad pro seems to fit my bill best...now to save a few more bucks and put that fuji 10-24 out of my head!

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1

Old 11-03-2016   #19
Jim-st

Quote:
Actually, I have one of those too (it was a department gift at the end of 2015—everyone was given one) and I later bought a 9.7" for myself because the 12.9" was such a good machine.

The difference in performance and even screen quality between the two iPad Pro models is small: you have to look for it to see it. They both run all my image processing apps very well. My 12.9 has 128G storage where the 9.7 has 256G storage, which helps.

I bought the 9.7 because the 12.9 was so useful but it seemed a bit large. If you're looking at an iPad Pro as a 13" laptop replacement and you're carrying equipment is setup for laptops, the 12.9 does extremely well as it's thinner than a MacBook Air and the screen is even better. The 9.7 form factor fits more of my camera bags well, however; I tend to use small bags like the Billingham Alice L2 or Tenba DNA 8 most of the time.

(I've kept the iPad mini 3 around as well because that fits in even smaller bags and is even lighter/thinner/smaller.)

The iPad Pro has become my "standard" computer in the past year. I tend to use the 9.7 and 12.9 more than my Mac systems because the iPads are so portable and run so long on a battery charge.

G
Thanks very much for this Godfrey: I think the iPad Pro will be my next purchase, and it will be down to haptics which size I go for: a hands-on in the Apple Store should give me the answer (though I expect the smaller machine will win out).

I sensed that Apple's revised pricing structure was giving me one of those sharp-elbowed nudges they administer to us faithful followers from time to time, and in this case the shunt was away from the MacBooks in the direction of the iPad Pro's for photo edits on the move.

Now what I need is for Adobe to allow metadata edits (esp keywords, captions, etc) in LR Mobile, and the iPad will finally become the really cool travelling indispensable I always wanted it to be!

Old 11-03-2016   #20
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

I use my (company sponsored) Macbook Pro (late 2013, Core i5, 16G RAM, 500G SSD) with an external 'hardware calibrated' 24" LG monitor. The build-in 'Retina' screen is nice, but too small for editing photos, IMO. I don't use PS, though -- the MacOS Photos app does all I want.

Old 11-03-2016   #21
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-st View Post
Now what I need is for Adobe to allow metadata edits (esp keywords, captions, etc) in LR Mobile, and the iPad will finally become the really cool travelling indispensable I always wanted it to be!
LR Mobile doesn't do that now? I would expect that that is what I'd be looking for most of all if I were using LR Mobile, rather than extraordinary image processing capabilities.

I'll have to look up LR Mobile and see what it can do. I really will be surprised if it cannot do IPTC editing already.

G

Old 11-03-2016   #22
ColSebastianMoran

Back Alley -- Photos and 4k video never looked as good as they do on my 5K iMac. Greatest photo environment I've found.

On the road, I'm a die-hard fan of MacBook Pro, but of course YMMV. When stationary, the 5K iMac with todays digital images puts photos into a different world.

In Classifieds Now: Nothing, more soon.
Photos, descriptions of for sale items previously listed here: this Flickr album
Use this link to leave feedback for me.

Named "Best heavy-game shooter in the Eastern Empire." Clubs: Anglo-Indian, Tankerville, and Bagatelle Card Club.
Sony E/FE, Nikon dSLR, and iPhone digital. Misc film.
Birds, portraits, events, family. Mindfulness, reflection, creativity, and stance.

Old 11-03-2016   #23
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Macbook mid 2011 2.54Ghz with FireWire and 4Gb RAM is the one to get.

This model secretly takes 8Gb RAM and can easily be fitted with a 250Gb SSD drive, it's not a hard job for an IT-savvy person.

Will set you back around USD650 altogether but you'll have a machine that is very fast. My daughter has mine now that I'm unable to work and her earlier MBP died, and she loves it.

Old 11-03-2016   #24
Jim-st

Quote:
LR Mobile doesn't do that now? I would expect that that is what I'd be looking for most of all if I were using LR Mobile, rather than extraordinary image processing capabilities.
Exactly: I started a thread on the Adobe forum requesting metadata edits & keywording in LR Mobile on the Adobe forum over two years ago, and it gets regular expressions of support to this day. On LR Journal in July Josh Haftel said "We’ve heard the request to do metadata entry as well and are working on it" (first reply in the responses section, below the blog post)
So maybe soon...

Old 01-22-2017   #25
jcrutcher

I'm late to this discussion. I have a 2012 MacBook Pro that is worn out, it has been a great machine. It is a 15" version. I'm looking at the new MBP 13" to replace it. Has anyone used Adobe Cloud on one?

Thanks
Jim

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/