Old 03-12-2015   #41
David Hughes

OTOH, the Wolseley 6/90 was the mainstay for many year and the Wolseley 16 before that but both with obvious bells on the front and aerials.

Regards, David

Old 03-12-2015   #42
Dralowid
Michael

I'm not sure the bonnet is long enough for a Rover 16...

David, you forget the Wolseley 6/80 with split screen and the unusual overhead cam engine...

Ought to be talking about Leica replicas but this is much more fun!

Riley Pathfinder anyone? (better known as Ditchfinder with right hand gear change on the floor on a right hand drive car)

Old 03-12-2015   #43
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
Riley Pathfinder anyone?
I've always thought that the Rileys from this period had a split windshield, but I may be mistaken. Getting old ...

Erik.

Old 03-12-2015   #44
john neal
fallor ergo sum

Michael,

Iwas going to suggest the pathfinder, but I felt the sweep of the wings is slightly wrong (too angular?). I well remember the police versions shooting around bends in terrifying shape - probably the poor driver looking for second gear with that horrible change mechanism !!

John

Old 03-12-2015   #45
Dralowid
Michael

The Pathfinder looks very similar to the Wolseley 6/90 (and Riley 2.6) that David mentioned, integral wings etc., a bit like an enlarged Wolseley 4/44 if you get my drift.

The split screen Rileys that Erik mentioned are probably the older very classic RM series.

Old 03-15-2015   #46
David Hughes

Hi,

Morris and Wolseley were badge engineering, imo, but the Riley had style. You still see a lot of them in the car park

at Old Warden on flying days.

Regards, David

Old 03-15-2015   #47
summar

I'd love to be able to afford an O-series, with or without Oskar Barnack's portrait on the back!

Old 03-15-2015   #48
Luddite Frank

I'm wishing I had bought a portrait-less one when Ritz Collectible Cameras had several, back around 2007...

Old 03-16-2015   #49
David Hughes

Hi,

Much as I'd love a lot of these cameras I can't help thinking that (a) I doubt if I'd get value for money in that I can get cameras scoring 9 out of 10 points dirt cheap and (b) I'd never bring myself to shove it in my pocket and wander around with it all day taking pictures.

So a P&S scoring 8 ex 10 that costs a pound or two and is pre-scruffed suits me fine. I've friends with M9's that go into panic mode now and then over what I'd call a normal part of photography, like taking a lens off and changing it for another...

I guess I just like using the things and looking at the prints.

Regards, David

Old 03-16-2015   #50
Flat Twin
Film Shooter

Has anybody mentioned the "other" 0 series thread that started back in 2008? Lots of pictures and info here:-

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...t=54402&page=2

Regards,

Simon

Old 03-23-2015   #51
SpikeT

The Leica 0 from Red Dot finally arrived and I put a film through it over the weekend. Was sure I knew exactly how to operate it having read the manual several times, but still managed to fog about 30% of the shots because of an instinctive tendency to wind on straight after shooting, without capping the lens. I will do better next time!
Really enjoyed the experience; even the viewfinder was easier to use than expected. Film (XP2) has gone off to be processed, will share some images upon return.

P3230002-Edit by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Old 04-02-2015   #52
SpikeT

First film through it. Forgot to cap on a few occasions and the viewfinder is tough to use with my less than perfect eyesight; but fun and the photos look OK to my untrained eyes.

Leica 0 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

Old 04-03-2015   #53
SpikeT

XP2

Old 04-04-2015   #54
David Hughes

Impressive, now I know what to do once I've become rich...

Regards, David

Old 04-04-2015   #55
gbealnz

Very impressive indeed. Very contrasty too, lovely shots.
Gary

Old 04-04-2015   #56
SpikeT

Thanks, it's certainly a good lens. First film had many failures due to forgetting to cap the lens, but you get used to it. My eyes can't cope with gunsight viewfinder though.

Old 04-04-2015   #57
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeT View Post
Thanks, it's certainly a good lens. First film had many failures due to forgetting to cap the lens, but you get used to it. My eyes can't cope with gunsight viewfinder though.
Good stuff.

I very quickly gave up on the gunsight and installed a SBOOI - probably the world's greatest 50mm viewfinder .

If you do this , one tip is to cut a thin tab of leather and slide it under the SBOOI to help keep in place - the 0-series shoe has no retaining springs.

Latterly I also sliced the front flap off the leather case making a SBOOI compatible half case.

Old 04-04-2015   #58
SpikeT

I have reverted to the SBOOI too. The little top strap still fits and helps hold it in place; although I also put a piece of felt underneath to give more purchase.

P4040013 by pattayadays.com, on Flickr

The only issue I have with the camera is that the Z/M/R lever is extremely stiff; do you find the same? Don't want to send it back for something that I only use once per film, but concerned it might break eventually.

Old 04-04-2015   #59
FrozenInTime

Quote:
The only issue I have with the camera is that the Z/M/R lever is extremely stiff; do you find the same? Don't want to send it back for something that I only use once per film, but concerned it might break eventually.
The lever is certainly not a light action on either of mine.
It takes a positive force to move ; more force than the the bottom plate - closer to that required to hand tighten a tripod thread.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 04-04-2015   #60
SpikeT

Thanks. Maybe that's just the way it is meant to be!

Another question (sorry). Do you use a lens hood? I have a FIKUS that would do the job and would make capping easier (just stick my palm over the hood); but of course adds bulk. Results so far indicate that the lens is resistant to flare so maybe a hood is not necessary.

Old 04-05-2015   #61
David Hughes

Hi,

Interesting; my 1926 Leica needs a bit of something in the accessory shoe/clip to stop the vertical RF wobbling about. I guess it took a while for them to sort out the minor details.

And nice to see the "O" is a good copy apart - I guess - from the lens...

Regards, David

Old 04-05-2015   #62
Austerby

Nice photos but they do rather prove Stephen's point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
...Leica failed to get everything right by giving the 0 series replicas a modern, very sharp multi-coated lens instead of a replica of the original uncoated lens keeping with the spirit of the otherwise very well done replica.
Stephen

Old 04-05-2015   #63
SpikeT

They do support that the lens is "a modern, very sharp multi-coated lens"; whether that has spoiled the camera is a matter of opinion. Obviously I don't believe that it has, because I bought one.

First of all, how realistic would it have been for Leica to replicate the original lens? Could they acquire the glass with the necessary optical characteristic (nothing like modern glass). Do they still have people that could create lenses without the support of modern machinery and computers?

Instead they went the other way and produced a very high quality lens which at current prices is probably something of a bargain.

I'm with FrozeninTime who wrote on the first page of this thread:
"In defense of the 0-replica: the reformulated Anastigmat lens is one of the best 50mm lenses ever produced.
Is amazingly sharp with very smooth bokeh. The MTF curves, as shown in Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium, have it easily ahead of all the Elmars including the last M version and on par if not better than the standard Summicron.
This lens and camera is one of Leica's great undiscovered secrets."

Old 04-05-2015   #64
Luddite Frank

Spike - What wonderful pictures from your O !

At the risk of speaking heresy, could you try some color film through it ?

Would love to see how that "awful, regrettable" new Anastigmat handles color....

( Now REALLY kicking myself that I did not get one of these from Ritz eight years ago... )

Regards,

Luddite Frank

Old 04-05-2015   #65
SpikeT

I could. I will. Have to finish the current roll of XP2 that resides within. What do you reckon would be a good film to use?

Old 05-22-2015   #66
SpikeT

Chinese temple roof by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Filaments by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Lion and lines by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Head by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Unusual headpiece by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Old 05-22-2015   #67
Luddite Frank

Quote:
I could. I will. Have to finish the current roll of XP2 that resides within. What do you reckon would be a good film to use?
Some Kodak Portra NC, if you can get your hands on some...

Kodak Gold 100 is also decent,

Or some Fuji 200...

I wonder how Oskar Barnack would feel about the performance of that "awful, coated lens"....

Old 05-23-2015   #68
jcrutcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite Frank View Post
Some Kodak Portra NC, if you can get your hands on some...

Kodak Gold 100 is also decent,

Or some Fuji 200...

I wonder how Oskar Barnack would feel about the performance of that "awful, coated lens"....
Sharp photo's with that lens, very nice. Tri-X would be my first choice unless you want to stay with C41. If so i agree on the Portra, Fuji and XP2. Have fun!

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 05-23-2015   #69
SpikeT

I have Tri-X in it now, will try colour next.

Old 02-20-2017   #70
wilsonlaidlaw

I have just acquired an O series replica. I have a Model 1 in my collection of Leicas (all users) as well but, as it has been in the family for over 87 years, I am always terrified I will lose it or drop it. The O series will allow me to put it into honourable retirement, although it is still working perfectly. I assume there must have been two versions of the O series replica, one with a wire frame finder, as shown in the manual and one with a reverse Galilean finder, like my Model 1. I hope the illustration on the dealer's website is correct and this one has the reverse Galilean. I have never liked wire frame finders that much.

Old 02-20-2017   #71
oltimer

Quote:
Spike, why change? These pics are coming through on my 24 inch monitor as grain less. This is the 1st time looking at your 400 asa film (XP2) that I can honestly say that. In fact they are better than digital I see sometimes on here.

Old 02-20-2017   #72
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonlaidlaw View Post
I hope the illustration on the dealer's website is correct and this one has the reverse Galilean. I have never liked wire frame finders that much.
A key advantage of the second model with the low profile viewfinder is, unlike using a SBOOI on the first version , the case works as designed ... and covers up Oskar

It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 02-20-2017   #73
wilsonlaidlaw

I will be using Fomapan 200 in my O Series. I used their 400 a few years ago and was disappointed. A rather old fashioned looking grainy gritty film but I now really like their 200ISO. I am not a huge fan of the chromogenic films like XP2 and BW400CN, I find it a bit over smooth and characterless - too similar to high pixel CMOS digital if you like. Fomapan 200 seems to have the crispness and fine grain of FP4 Plus but is a stop faster. I like high contrast and it certainly is that. It also scans reasonably well on my Plustek 7400, with a bit of trial and error to get inversion correct.

Old 02-20-2017   #74
wilsonlaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
I'm not sure the bonnet is long enough for a Rover 16...

David, you forget the Wolseley 6/80 with split screen and the unusual overhead cam engine...

Ought to be talking about Leica replicas but this is much more fun!

Riley Pathfinder anyone? (better known as Ditchfinder with right hand gear change on the floor on a right hand drive car)
My first four wheel car was a 1938 Rover 16 (I had a Morgan Three Wheel Aero SS with Blackburne Tomtit major engine before that). Auntie Rover used at least one pint of oil for every gallon of petrol. It cost me 25 in 1963 and had so little compression, that it would tick over at around 200RPM. You had to remember to turn off the freewheel before you went down a steep hill or you would not have any brakes by the bottom (it did not have much at the top). I sold it six months later for 30 - cheap motoring.

Old 02-20-2017   #75
David Hughes

Ages after the first chat about the car I remembered that in September 1939 to speed up the evacuation of the English on holiday in France etc the last ferries to leave for England refused to take cars and just took passengers. So I guess a lot of English cars ended up being borrowed from Calais etc.

I could say more but it's anecdotal, from my young ladies when I started work in the City and had a lot of linguists around me, German, Dutch, French etc. One or two had parachuted back a little later on...

Regards, David

Old 02-21-2017   #76
wilsonlaidlaw

The O series arrived this morning. Opened the box only to be totally disappointed. The camera the dealer has sent me is a type 1 O series replica, with the horrible single lensed wire frame finder, that you have to hold at wobbling arms-length like a cheap point and shoot. The camera shown on the dealer's website was a type 2 with a "proper" reverse Galilean finder, that you can hold up to your eye. It appears to be the only O series currently for sale in the UK. Will I keep it or send it back - dilemma? Probably send it back is the answer.

Wilson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O series 2 small.jpg (26.6 KB, 21 views)