Leica 0-series replica
Old 03-07-2015   #1
samhu
Registered User
 
samhu is offline
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Question Leica 0-series replica

Hi everyone:
I just got a leica 0-series replica,but could not find an user manual.can someone help?
Thanks!!
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2015   #2
FrozenInTime
Registered User
 
FrozenInTime's Avatar
 
FrozenInTime is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 1,661
Great camera; I always enjoy using mine.

Here is a scan of the manual : http://www.donaldingram.com/RFF/Leica_OSeriesManual.pdf
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2015   #3
ian_watts
Ian Watts
 
ian_watts is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 438
Interesting coincidence. Having not used it for a number of years, I put a film in my 0-serie replica only this week. It's a beautifully made mechanical object that is quite satisfying to use. Strangely enough, I don't think I have a manual like the PDF posted above I bought my 0-serie new (when they being heavily discounted) and all I had in the box was a little folded set of instructions and a brochure-like booklet.
__________________
Tumblr // Flickr // Instagram // ianwatts.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2015   #4
Richard G
Registered User
 
Richard G's Avatar
 
Richard G is online now
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 37,47 S
Posts: 4,502
Fascinating to read those instructions, and to see that in 1925 the photographer across the street with the latest compact technology, was, as now with the iPhone, holding a camera out in front of her but peering through a frame mask rather than looking at an LCD.
__________________
Richard
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2015   #5
samhu
Registered User
 
samhu is offline
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Thank you frozenInTime,Thanks everyone for sharing, that really helps!!
Sam
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #6
SpikeT
Registered User
 
SpikeT is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
If anyone knows of one for sale...?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,457
As nice as the O is you can probably pick up a 1a for the same price.
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #8
john neal
fallor ergo sum
 
john neal's Avatar
 
john neal is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albion
Posts: 1,685
Red Dot in London have one at a reasonably good price, given that it is mint and boxed. It is a little more than the one above, but it's one of the first series and dosn't have that awful picture of Oscar on the back.

I was tempted to buy it, but see Keith's advice.
__________________
Regards,

John
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #9
Livesteamer
Registered User
 
Livesteamer is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winston Salem North Carolina
Posts: 1,288
I'm with Keith. I have a 1929 Leica 1 and it is a gem of a camera. I shoot a few rolls of Ektar thru it every year and the results are lovely. It represents something the new Leica company has lost. An 86 year old camera that still works wonderfully, is just the essentials and will outlast me. I guess I shouldn't blame Leica. Today's culture is all about buy, use briefly and dispose. A throwaway culture. Pardon my philosophical digression. Joe
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #10
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livesteamer View Post
I'm with Keith. I have a 1929 Leica 1 and it is a gem of a camera. I shoot a few rolls of Ektar thru it every year and the results are lovely. It represents something the new Leica company has lost. An 86 year old camera that still works wonderfully, is just the essentials and will outlast me. I guess I shouldn't blame Leica. Today's culture is all about buy, use briefly and dispose. A throwaway culture. Pardon my philosophical digression. Joe


I have a 1930 1a and it is indeed a beautiful little jewel of a camera. From memory Youxin CLAd it a few years ago for around $120.00
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #11
FrozenInTime
Registered User
 
FrozenInTime's Avatar
 
FrozenInTime is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 1,661
In defense of the 0-replica: the reformulated Anastigmat lens is one of the best 50mm lenses ever produced.
Is amazingly sharp with very smooth bokeh. The MTF curves, as shown in Erwin Puts' Leica Compendium, have it easily ahead of all the Elmars including the last M version and on par if not better than the standard Summicron.
This lens and camera is one of Leica's great undiscovered secrets.

Poor Mr Barnack is easily put out of view once the leather case is on the camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #12
ian_watts
Ian Watts
 
ian_watts is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by john neal View Post
dosn't have that awful picture of Oscar on the back.
It's bizarre that anyone at Leica would have thought it was a good idea to spoil that second version with that tacky plaque on the back. When I was in the market for one of these cameras (a bit of a bizarre notion in its own right) the plaque was a genuine deal breaker because I was otherwise was tempted by having the little finder rather than the gun sights (and the bundled Barnack print was ok as a bonus 'freebie').

To answer the question a few posts above, there are loads of 0-serie replicas on ebay, some NIB, most ambitiously priced.
__________________
Tumblr // Flickr // Instagram // ianwatts.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #13
ian_watts
Ian Watts
 
ian_watts is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
Poor Mr Barnack is easily put out of view once the leather case is on the camera.
Yes, but it is the thought of it that is off putting (and you have to see it when you reload the camera).

Might be interesting to have the lens removed and converted to screw or M mount. ...or perhaps not.
__________________
Tumblr // Flickr // Instagram // ianwatts.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #14
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,789
I don't have Mr. Barnack staring back at me.

They really are wonderful cameras and that lens produces some great shots.

Of course the downside is you have to recap the lens before you wind on...but the upside is, once you learn that little habit, there is far less chance you will burn holes in the shutter curtain.
__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #15
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 44
Posts: 18,410
I've always been interested in these but never pulled the trigger. Seems like a fun camera.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #16
burancap
Registered User
 
burancap's Avatar
 
burancap is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Age: 52
Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I've always been interested in these but never pulled the trigger. Seems like a fun camera.
Ditto. I can't count the times I *almost* bought one.
__________________
Jeff
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #17
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,999
I bought this one, a Leica I model C including lens, recently for EUR 550.

Erik.

  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #18
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
I don't have Mr. Barnack staring back at me.

They really are wonderful cameras and that lens produces some great shots.

Of course the downside is you have to recap the lens before you wind on...but the upside is, once you learn that little habit, there is far less chance you will burn holes in the shutter curtain.
I don't like Oskar's portrait on my cameras either. Its easy to take care of.

http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=81769
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #19
Dralowid
Michael
 
Dralowid's Avatar
 
Dralowid is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
I bought this one, a Leica I model C including lens, recently for EUR 550.

Erik.

And this one, 10xxx was not expensive but very much the real deal although certain details are no longer original and it cannot, in any way, be described as mint!

IMG_1235 by dralowid, on Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #20
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,999
A very nice camera, Michael. I like that old-style vulcanite! I'd like a low numbered Leica I too, but the Leica I model C has the advantage of interchangeable lenses.

Leica I model C, Elmar 35mm f/3.5, torpedo finder, Tmax400.

  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #21
Fuchs
Registered User
 
Fuchs is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 49
Posts: 415
I'm sorry to ask here, but I had a quick search down the net and couldn't find it: is the new Anastigmat multicoated?
__________________
Ed Albesi
Buenos Aires, Argentina
[Sony A7R2, RX1R2, Nikon FA, Leica M6]
My flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #22
ian_watts
Ian Watts
 
ian_watts is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
I'm sorry to ask here, but I had a quick search down the net and couldn't find it: is the new Anastigmat multicoated?
Yes, I believe so.
__________________
Tumblr // Flickr // Instagram // ianwatts.co.uk
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #23
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,999
My Hektor has no coating at all!

Leica I, model C, Hektor 50mm f/2.5, FISON, Tmax400.

Erik.

  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #24
FrozenInTime
Registered User
 
FrozenInTime's Avatar
 
FrozenInTime is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Here and there
Posts: 1,661
Erik, as always, your photos and technique are outstanding.

... must try some Tmax 400.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #25
Leica0Series
Registered User
 
Leica0Series's Avatar
 
Leica0Series is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 152
Took mine out for a walk recently after one of our snow days ...

Ski by Bsivad, on Flickr
__________________
Leica 0 Series
Leica M4
Leica M6 Ti
Leica M9

CV 15 4.5
Leica 24 Elmar
Leica Summicron 50 (11817)
Leica Summarit 50 2.5
Canon 100 3.5 (black and chrome)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #26
Leica0Series
Registered User
 
Leica0Series's Avatar
 
Leica0Series is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 152
And another ...

Snow Day 2 by Bsivad, on Flickr
__________________
Leica 0 Series
Leica M4
Leica M6 Ti
Leica M9

CV 15 4.5
Leica 24 Elmar
Leica Summicron 50 (11817)
Leica Summarit 50 2.5
Canon 100 3.5 (black and chrome)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #27
Leica0Series
Registered User
 
Leica0Series's Avatar
 
Leica0Series is offline
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 152
One more ... action shot.

Snow Day 4 by Bsivad, on Flickr
__________________
Leica 0 Series
Leica M4
Leica M6 Ti
Leica M9

CV 15 4.5
Leica 24 Elmar
Leica Summicron 50 (11817)
Leica Summarit 50 2.5
Canon 100 3.5 (black and chrome)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #28
CameraQuest
Head Bartender
 
CameraQuest is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: over the hills from Malibu
Posts: 5,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchs View Post
I'm sorry to ask here, but I had a quick search down the net and couldn't find it: is the new Anastigmat multicoated?
Leica came SO SO CLOSE close to really hitting these Leica O special editions out of the park -

- reasonable prices offering great value
- ultra well done unique replicas of very rare historical cameras
- amazingly offering real archival prints made from Oskar Barnack negatives

yet, today's Leica sometimes works against itself turning a great concept into a flawed finished product.

Leica failed to get everything right by giving the 0 series replicas a modern, very sharp multi-coated lens instead of a replica of the original uncoated lens keeping with the spirit of the otherwise very well done replica.

Well -- well done other than Oskar's badly done out of place portrait anyway.

Oh well, maybe Leica will get the O Series replicas right on their 200th anniversary.

OR >>> You can get it right tomorrow. Have your tech install an inexpensive vintage 1930's 50/3.5 Elmar on your O series!

Granted not exactly the right lens, but its a huge improvement over that modern lens on your O series now!
-- hmm. maybe the modern lens could be remounted into the lens mount of the vintage Elmar for your M series ?

Stephen
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #29
Pioneer
Registered User
 
Pioneer's Avatar
 
Pioneer is offline
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 63
Posts: 2,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Leica came SO SO CLOSE close to really hitting these Leica O special editions out of the park -

- reasonable prices offering great value
- ultra well done unique replicas of very rare historical cameras
- amazingly offering real archival prints made from Oskar Barnack negatives

yet, today's Leica sometimes works against itself turning a great concept into a flawed finished product.

Leica failed to get everything right by giving the 0 series replicas a modern, very sharp multi-coated lens instead of a replica of the original uncoated lens keeping with the spirit of the otherwise very well done replica.

Well -- well done other than Oskar's badly done out of place portrait anyway.

Oh well, maybe Leica will get the O Series replicas right on their 200th anniversary.

OR >>> You can get it right tomorrow. Have your tech install an inexpensive vintage 1930's 50/3.5 Elmar on your O series!

Granted not exactly the right lens, but its a huge improvement over that modern lens on your O series now!
-- hmm. maybe the modern lens could be remounted into the lens mount of the vintage Elmar for your M series ?

Stephen
I do like the lens. Mr Puts claims it is the equal to the Summicron.

What I do miss is being able to make use of my Filca cassettes.

Regardless, it is a ton of fun to use and a real eye opener about the capabilities of these early cameras. I have been using Rollei RPX 25 at ei20 and Adox CMS 20 at ei12 to get a sense of what it was like to use this camera when it came out in the 1920s.

As you can tell, I don't make a good collector. I do hope they hold up as well as the rest of Leica's film cameras.
__________________
You gotta love a fast lens;

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #30
SpikeT
Registered User
 
SpikeT is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by john neal View Post
Red Dot in London have one at a reasonably good price, given that it is mint and boxed. It is a little more than the one above, but it's one of the first series and dosn't have that awful picture of Oscar on the back.

I was tempted to buy it, but see Keith's advice.
I bought it....
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #31
SpikeT
Registered User
 
SpikeT is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
> https://www.mapcamera.com/item/3000010260507

Not to keen on the second version with Oskar's face on the back, but many thanks for sharing the link.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #32
john neal
fallor ergo sum
 
john neal's Avatar
 
john neal is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albion
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeT View Post
I bought it....
Well, I did have a deposit on that for a short while, but reasoned that I could do more with the money. Still not 100% sure I made the right decision, but a Standard or a 1c would be almost as good and leave more in the bank....

I hope you enjoy it
__________________
Regards,

John
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2015   #33
SpikeT
Registered User
 
SpikeT is offline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by john neal View Post
Well, I did have a deposit on that for a short while, but reasoned that I could do more with the money. Still not 100% sure I made the right decision, but a Standard or a 1c would be almost as good and leave more in the bank....

I hope you enjoy it
Thanks. When I first enquired they told me it had been sold; that must have been you!
Time will tell if it was a wise purchase, I will report back!
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015   #34
Dralowid
Michael
 
Dralowid's Avatar
 
Dralowid is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
My Hektor has no coating at all!

Leica I, model C, Hektor 50mm f/2.5, FISON, Tmax400.

Erik.

So Erik, did you ask the lady in the photo to have her hair styled to match the period of the car?

Michael
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015   #35
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid View Post
did you ask the lady in the photo to have her hair styled to match the period of the car?
No Michael, it is a film set. In this house Anne Frank lived, actually almost around the corner from were I live. A film about her short life is being made by a German film crew. Strange to hear all this yelling in German on that place, Merwedeplein in Amsterdam. Was not heard since 1945. I couldn't resist making pictures with my 1931 Leica.

Isn't that car a Wolseley? Strange they use an English car on the set. There weren't much English cars in Amsterdam during the war.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015   #36
rodt16s
Registered User
 
rodt16s is offline
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wiltshire UK
Posts: 557
Erik, there aren't many English cars left in England anymore either
__________________
M's, & OM's
Just taking pics of stuff.
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015   #37
Dralowid
Michael
 
Dralowid's Avatar
 
Dralowid is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 2,269
I think it's a Rover, probably a Rover 10 from just after the war though it could be from 1940 but that is unlikely because wartime production was very limited. Wire wheels pre war, disc wheels 1940 onwards.

Old fashioned even when new, hugely reliable and they last forever.

My wife yawns when I start pointing out things in movies that are 'incorrectly dated'!
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015   #38
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,999
The car reminds me of Michael Kitchens policecar in the "Foyle's War" tv series. They all look more or less the same (to me). I thought that was a Wolseley.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2015   #39
john neal
fallor ergo sum
 
john neal's Avatar
 
john neal is offline
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Albion
Posts: 1,685
The car has something of the Rover around the boot, but I can't see the grille badge clearly enough to determine. As michael says, the solid wheels are later on almost any English car.

I wish I still had my old Standard 8 - sliding windows, semaphore indicators and no boot lid!
__________________
Regards,

John
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2015   #40
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by john neal View Post
The car has something of the Rover around the boot
Yes, it could be a Rover Sixteen! I should have seen that instantly.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 21:35.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.