Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Half Frames / Subminiatures

Half Frames / Subminiatures This forum is for all half frame 35mm cameras, including the very popular Olympus Pens and their SLR cousins, the Pen F and Pen FT, as well as all smaller than half frame subminiature film cameras.

Old 04-03-2016   #81
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
Have fun.

Here's my issue with the cameras. While I love my 16QT and toss it in my pocket most times when I'm walking out the door, it does lead to the situation below.

Lots of exposed carts stacking up and not having the time to process it all.

But they are truly fun cameras.

Best,
-Tim
This is your punishment for having 800 feet of 16mm sitting around waiting to be used. I'm pea green with envy.
Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my order from B&H to arrive and am heading up to Canada this Friday, hope it gets here in time to load up my carts. Stupid of me to run out of film but so busy with the Minox I forgot to order more.

Old 04-04-2016   #82
Timmyjoe

It does take a while to go through 800 ft when you're shooting it 18 inches at a time.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 04-04-2016   #83
Nokton48

That's 533 cassettes of film.

I don't always take pictures, but I love having a camera slipped discretely into a pocket and with me, for when I see something worthy
I am thoroughly enjoying the 16mm experience so far.

Old 04-05-2016   #84
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I don't always take pictures, but I love having a camera slipped discretely into a pocket and with me, for when I see something worthy
That's it for me too. And having grown up on film, having it a film camera instead of a digital camera makes all the difference to me.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 04-05-2016   #85
zuiko85

Yes yes, always feel strange to head out without a film camera on my person, even if it turns out I don't use it on that particular stroll. That is one reason I appreciate the Monox 8X11 cameras so much. At 2.5 oz. you don't notice the weight at all and it is about the size of a pack of gum. That said, I like my little larger 16mm Minolta too. The cartridges are easier to load for my fumble fingers. Just dug around in my box of Minolta subminiature stuff and discovered I still had two unexposed carts. Think I'll load up my $1 Minolta Ps and try it out before my trip this weekend.

Old 04-09-2016   #86
Nokton48

Quote:
Have fun.

Here's my issue with the cameras. While I love my 16QT and toss it in my pocket most times when I'm walking out the door, it does lead to the situation below.

Lots of exposed carts stacking up and not having the time to process it all.

But they are truly fun cameras.

Best,
-Tim

I can relate to this. I can see the same issue approaching for me. The answer, is four JOBO 16mm reels. See the red tab, each reel holds two films. So, I should be able to process eight films at a time in a Multitank 2, or three rolls of 35mm, plus eight rolls of 16mm, in a Multitank 5.

2016-04-09 12.53.37 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 04-13-2016   #87
Nokton48

I did just buy a Mamiya Enlahead.
Looks to be in perfect condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351691770347...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 04-13-2016   #88
zuiko85

Good find Nokton. They are somewhat thin on the ground and don't come up often. Both Mamiya and Minolta made them. I've never seen the Minolta model.

Old 04-14-2016   #89
Nokton48

[quote=zuiko85;2597951]For enlarging (for the 10X14 size neg anyway) I was fortunate to locate a Mamiya Enla head. The Enla head (Minolta made their version of this too) is a all-in-one condenser lens/neg carrier/enlarging lens that has a standard 39mm screw threads to fit most enlarging lens boards. The Mamiya has a 25mm f3.5 enlarging lens that stops down to f16 and a focusing helical that has a enough extension to get down to prints of about 2X2.4 inches. You just screw this into your enlarger's lens board, and then loosen a set screw and rotate the unit so the neg carrier is oriented right. It is real easy to use but not so easy to source. they do come up on he auction site now and again, that is where I found mine.[/QUOTE

2016-04-14 06.16.20 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Zuiko.
Sounds like a good thing to have, so I grabbed one. How do you screw it into the lens board? I have a Beseler 67C
enlarger that I think takes 39mm lenses. It has a color head, which is a plus.

I'm shooting my second roll of Tri-X in the silver 16MG. The first roll of XXX I shot in the gold 16MG. Now I have loaded three rolls of Efke 25 and one of them is in the Gold camera. With AG1B bulbs the maximum shooting distance is ten feet with the F2.8 lens and ASA 25 film! I need to get to Batteries Plus, and have them test my Eveready 505 flash batteries, I may need a new battery or two. The Gold flash was working, but not now, so it may need a new battery. Will sort it out when I have time. I'm about ready to start developing, I'm going to use my rotary JOBO tank and Unicolor Uniroller. I can process 35mm and 16mm together, really a good number of rolls.

Old 04-14-2016   #90
zuiko85

I'm not familiar with a 67C enlarger but if the lens board is threaded for 39mm mount enlarging lenses you just remove the lens and screw in the enla head. Then loosen the little set screw on the side and rotate the neg carrier to the right orientation and tighten the set screw.

Some enlarger lens boards didn't have a threaded mount. They just had a hole that you stuck the enlarging lens into and a retaining ring that you screwed onto the back on the lens to hold it in place. Just look at how the lens you have now is attached to the enlarger, the Enla head should attach the same way. I have seen lens boards with small 26mm holes and then you just need a lens board with the proper mount.

Old 04-15-2016   #91
Nokton48

OK Thanks. That sounds straightforward.

Old 04-21-2016   #92
Nokton48

Re-doing the light trapping on the silver 16MG:

2016-04-21 04.49.36 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 04-23-2016   #93
Nokton48

2016-04-23 08.19.50 by Nokton48, on Flickr

^^ Original Repair Manual for the Minolta 16MG

Old 04-23-2016   #94
zuiko85

Did you find that manual on ebay? I'm looking for a dead/broken MG to to experiment on.

Old 04-23-2016   #95
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko85 View Post
Did you find that manual on ebay? I'm looking for a dead/broken MG to to experiment on.
Yes, Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400489667436...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 04-23-2016   #96
zuiko85

Thanks. I find the MG lens interesting because it is the widest lens of all the Minolta 16 models that have the 10X14mm frame size. The equivalent focal length in 35mm at he same aspect ratio is 48mm. Many 16mm cameras of the same frame size have 25mm lenses that have an angle of view of a 60mm lens on a 35mm camera, a long normal. Sometimes, especially in enclosed places the slightly wider view is an advantage. The MG was the first submini I had back in 1970 and the first place I took the camera was to the Museum of Science and Industry. It worked well even in the tight confines of the U505 submarine tour. Don't know whatever happened to those negs and prints, probably lost in one of my many moves.

Old 04-24-2016   #97
Nokton48

I'm shooting through three rolls of Efke 25, which is ISO 25 speed. It is a different experience to shoot with these cameras with slow film. I've also shot two rolls of real Tri-X, so I am slowly accumulating enough film for a big film run. With an AG1B flashbulb and Efke 25 it is 10 feet at F2.8! I did go to Batteries Plus, and my two Eveready 505's are at 15.4V, which is good, 'cause these are no longer made, are expensive, and would be old stock. So at least I have one good battery for each flashgun. I did clean the contacts in the flashes with Electronic Contact Cleaner from Radio Shack, and now both guns are popping correctly. Love the smell of burned flashbulbs!

Still waiting for the Enlahead, but it's coming from the UK. And I bought three more JOBO 16mm reels which are also coming. My Multitank 5 will be fully loaded with 16mm and 35mm film . Fourteen rolls of 16mm film at a go, plus a couple rolls of 35mm. Very good production. I do like the view I get from the 20mm Rokkor Yes it's very slightly wide, which I find to be very useful, especially shooting close-up.

Need to load three more rolls of Tri-X from a 35mm 36 roll. Maybe today.......

Old 04-24-2016   #98
zuiko85

Sixteen rolls of 16mm! Holy cow man, I ain't shot that much film in a short time since I exposed 100 ft. of Tri-X in a couple of Pen F bodies on a busy day at the Elkart Lake racetrack back in the early 70's. Of course back then 100 ft. of TX was $8 and a box of 10 Kodak snap caps was a dollar. Now I think TX is over $100 for 100 ft. YIKES!

Old 04-24-2016   #99
Nokton48

Quote:
Sixteen rolls of 16mm! Holy cow man
Yeah film accumulates around here and it is worth it to me to be able a process a good amount of it at a time. The JOBO stuff is expensive but has been a good move for all my processing needs. Also the deep freeze is full of all sorts and sizes of film, so I will not be running out anytime soon.

Fuji 1600 and Delta 3200 would be interesting on these cameras. Hmmmm...

Old 04-24-2016   #100
zuiko85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
Yeah film accumulates around here and it is worth it to me to be able a process a good amount of it at a time. The JOBO stuff is expensive but has been a good move for all my processing needs. Also the deep freeze is full of all sorts and sizes of film, so I will not be running out anytime soon.

Fuji 1600 and Delta 3200 would be interesting on these cameras. Hmmmm...
Yeah, even Tri-X pushed a couple of stops should be interesting. I'm thinking about under exposure and overdeveloping some 400 ISO B&W film, perhaps Ilford HP5. The massive developing chart has some times and developers listed for push processing and devided developers like Diafine are good too.

Old 04-28-2016   #101
Nokton48

My Mamiya Enlahead (16mm Enlarging Attachment) arrived from the UK today.
It works perfectly on my little Beselar 67 Dichro Enlarger.
Makes a projected image from 2"x2.5" to whatever size I require.
Quite a clever little device!

2016-04-28 16.34.38 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 04-28-2016   #102
Timmyjoe

That is adorable. Congratulations.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 04-30-2016   #103
Nokton48

Quote:
That is adorable. Congratulations.
Thanks Tim. I think it will be fun to make some wet prints from some of these submini negs.

2016-04-30 11.36.53 by Nokton48, on Flickr

The fun is continuing and I've loaded some HP5+ to shoot next. I've learned NOT to run the film through the slitter oriented incorrectly, it tears the edges of the roll. Some loss factor but also a lot of success.

I've ordered ten more film cartridges, and a Minolta 16QT (since I have a lot of film to load and use). Above ^^ Joe McGloin (from Subclub) has on Ebay Russian plastic "coffins" that fit the Minolta cartridges -perfectly-. So I am loading up on them, since my cartridges need some extra plastic boxes.

Old 04-30-2016   #104
zuiko85

What size print are you thinking about? I generally find 5X7 with a 1/4 inch border about right for enlargements from my 10X14mm negatives. A bit grainy with the Eastman 16mm movie film but still acceptable, at least to my eyes.

Old 04-30-2016   #105
Nokton48

Quote:
What size print are you thinking about? I generally find 5X7 with a 1/4 inch border about right for enlargements from my 10X14mm negatives. A bit grainy with the Eastman 16mm movie film but still acceptable, at least to my eyes.

When I was printing a lot of 35mm I preferred 5x7" prints. Perfect for my needs and looked great.
And it is economical with expensive printing paper.

If I can get that from my 16mm I will be a happy camper

Eastman 5222 is probably my favorite film. Will be loading up some soon.

Old 05-01-2016   #106
Nokton48

So now I have loaded some Double-X to go with the HP5+
Are the batteries for the 16QT still available?

2016-05-01 11.43.48 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Old 05-01-2016   #107
Timmyjoe

I don't believe so, I use a 1/3N battery. Same voltage

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-01-2016   #108
Nokton48

Quote:
I don't believe so, I use a 1/3N battery. Same voltage
OK Thnx! Great info.

Old 05-03-2016   #109
Timmyjoe

Okay folks, time to start posting some pics from these cameras. Nothing spectacular, just to show what these little cameras are capable of.

These are all Kodak Double-X (7222) B&W motion picture film (finally got around to processing some of the rolls I showed in a post above):

Okay, don't leave me hanging' out here, someone else post some images please.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-04-2016   #110
Timmyjoe

And I finally got around to processing some Plus-X that I shot in the 16QT. I find it a lot less grainy than the Double-X:

I hope this gets others motivated to post images made with these cameras.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-13-2016   #111
Nokton48

Minolta 16 #1 by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here ^^ are my first four Minolta 16 rolls, the top two are Tri-X, the bottom two are Efke 25. I had quite a few "duds" from AG1B bulbs not firing, but I have since sorted that out. I also have a light leak that I need to sort out. These four rolls were processed in straight Microdol-X. There appear to be a few "keepers". Need to figure out how I am going to scan these (Recently I bought a refurbed Nikon L2000 scanner). And of course I can wet-print with the Enla Head.

Old 05-13-2016   #112
Timmyjoe

Hey, that's a good start. On the second and third strip down, looks like there might be a bit of a light leak.

If your Nikon L2000 has the capacity to scan individual 35mm slides, one thing I did years ago when I had a similar Nikon scanner is I made a "dummy" slide out of thin plastic stock that was 1/2 the thickness of a regular slide (you sandwich the two pieces together), and cut a center section out of the "dummy" slide, the exact frame dimensions of the little 16mm images. I taped the two plastic pieces together along one edge, so I could lay them out flat on a table, put the 16mm strip down on one side, line up the frame I wanted to scan, then close the two plastic half's, making a "dummy" slide that had the 16mm frame right in the center. It's a slow process, but it worked.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 05-13-2016   #113
Nokton48

That's a great idea. Yes I can scan individual slides with the L2000 so I will give that a try. I'll have to find the holder, I've never used it.

Old 05-13-2016   #114
Timmyjoe

The other thing that would probably work, if you don't have the plastic, is a couple pieces of cardboard, as long as when they're sandwiched together they about the same thickness as a regular 35mm slide.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 06-01-2016   #115
Timmyjoe

Just processed the last of the backed up rolls of Double-X.

Not usually a hip shooter, but I liked this one:

Was doing my usual commute, train, El, bus, El, Train:

All Double XX (7222) B&W motion picture film shot in Minolta 16QT. Grain gets a bit intense at times, but still a fun camera to use.

Hope this encourages others to post. I love seeing what kind of pictures folks can get from these old miniature cameras.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 06-01-2016   #116
Jake Mongey

I want to shoot some film through my 16 mg which is in mint condition still packaged in plastic but i dont want to break the seals!

Old 06-01-2016   #117
Timmyjoe

I do believe the cameras were made to take pictures, but to each their own.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 06-01-2016   #118
zuiko85

Great shots on the L Tim. From 1969 to 1978, durning my 20's l lived in Chicago. Came there from rural southern Indiana to find work. It was fun, my favorite places, in order, were the Adler planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and the Field Museum. Chicago was where I bought my first serious camera, a Minolta HiMatic 9. After 30 years, in 2008 I returned for a visit and my Chicago was just gone. The only surviving camera store in the Loop was Central, there had been at least 9 or 10 in the mid 70's if you count Wolk's three locations, and Shutan Camera that was just outside the Loop. For an aging film dog like me it was all too sad.

On a more upbeat note you are making me want to try to find a good QT again. I've have looked at four over the last few years and not one worked. All were in cosmetic good shape and two of the four had frozen focusing tabs. I'm thinking I'll try one more time, perhaps it was just a run of misfortune. This time I'll disassemble the camera and fix it if I can get a really good deal. The focusing lens and larger negative are just too tempting.

Old 06-01-2016   #119
Timmyjoe

The things I like about the QT are the bigger negative, the focusing lens, and the built in light meter. Makes it a pretty much self-contained system that you can pretty much shoot anywhere with nothing else to carry.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 06-01-2016   #120
Timmyjoe

Yeah, Chicago just keeps changing. Moved here originally in 1987, when there still weren't lights on Wrigley (lived down the street from the ballfield). Moved away in 1990, came back in 1996, totally changed. Lived here until 2005. Moved back in 2008, again, many changes. My old neighborhood (Lakeview) is almost unrecognizable from when I first lived there in 1987. I'm an old fart, so naturally I liked it better the way it was. But what can you do.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available