Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Fuji X Series > Fuji X-100 Series

Fuji X-100 Series This forum is for fans of the rangefinder retrostyled Fuji X Series of digital cameras.

X100 Frimware 2.01
Old 11-22-2013   #1
MiniMoke

X100 Frimware 2.01

EDIT: Well, Frimware's a nice word, but after all I prefer FIRMWARE ;-)

If this is a double post, please remove, I couldn't find any news!

Fuji has reacted fast and released a 2.01 version of it's X100 firmware fixing the problem with focus creeping!

WTG

Old 11-28-2013   #2
FA Limited
planespotting

i don't know how i missed this one but woohoo! i was complaining a lot about this one

Old 12-06-2013   #3
remphoto

What is the procedure for updating firmware in these cameras?

Old 12-06-2013   #4
MiniMoke

Format sd card in the camera
Copy the downloaded update file to the card
Put card in camera an turn on while holding the DISP button
Follow indications on screen

Make sure your battery is fully charged if you don't want to brick your camera!!

Old 12-06-2013   #5
danielsterno
making soup from mud

ugh. the firmware update file is 32.2 GB, my largest memory card is only 32 GB thus it will not down load to the card….
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 12-06-2013   #6
MiniMoke

Naaaaaw, impossible!! Its about 22mb

Got to be some error somewhere

Old 12-06-2013   #7
MiniMoke

Its 32 mb, not gb!! Just checked!!

Old 12-06-2013   #8
danielsterno
making soup from mud

my HUGE error- sorry. caffein just kicked in and you are correct its 32.2 MB!…. thanks-
than absolutely boring.

Old 03-06-2014   #9
remphoto

I finally ordered a used X100 from KEH and it is on its way. I went to Fujifilm.com to download the latest software 2.0.1. in the event the new camera does not have it installed. Unfortunately, the link to download is inoperable. Does this mean they have discontinued support and there is no way to update the software? There are still brand new X100 cameras for sale on Amazon so seems funny they would discontinue support. It would really suck if I cannot update the software.

Old 03-06-2014   #10
BardParker

I just updated my X100 software a couple of weeks ago. No problem.

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digi.../finepix_x100/

Old 03-06-2014   #11
tbhv55

Yes, I've just downloaded it (again) from the link as detailed by BardParker above, and the link works fine. If you're still having trouble with it, I could get a copy to you via DropBox if you wish, but I'd suggest that the link is worth trying again.

Perhaps there was some kind of temporary glitch when you tried it.

Old 03-07-2014   #12
maggieo
More Deadly

I had to try the download twice- the first one didn't take, but the second one installed, no problem.

Old 03-07-2014   #13
kuujinbo

My X100 arrived last night - both downloaded and also installed 2.01 without problem. Don't know why, but the camera is much smaller than I imagined.

Old 03-07-2014   #14
N.delaRua

It is very tiny and light. Makes the quality of the files even more surprising.

Old 03-07-2014   #15
danielsterno
making soup from mud

All- in a somewhat related comment to the 2.01 release. Here it is, X years after my x100 purchase, I had a little issue of downloading the 2.01 update and emailed Fuji midnight Thursday night. Friday mid-morning I had a response with a 800 # to call. Called the number spoke with a technical rep and figured out the problem-… So impressed with Fuji, have had multiple firmwares updates since I bought it over the years and excellent customer service support which just adds to my experience and this camera has actually gotten better over time! Fuji will keep me a fuji customer for ever! Thank You Fuji!
than absolutely boring.

Old 03-07-2014   #16
remphoto

Thanks for the help. My new to me X100 came with the 1.01 and I used the above info to successfully load the 2.01. I thought the low light auto focus was decent with the original software, but I was comparing it to my E-P1. With the new software it just flies into focus. I cannot believe how sharp are the JPEG's at ISO 3200. I am loving this camera. At half the price of a new one, I consider it a bargain, too.

Old 03-07-2014   #17
willie_901

The 2.01 firmware is a huge leap forward.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 09-21-2014   #18
Jim Evidon
Jim

Wanting a small camera to carry around when I didn't want to lug around my serious stuff, I went through a slim Olympus point and shoot, the Canon G15 and the Fuji XF1. The Oly was sub-par and I dumped it, the G15 too bulky for the pocket and the XF-1 a delight but the IQ is not what I need. So, I traded the G15 for a little used Fuji X100 that still had the original firmware and installed the latest version 2.01 firmware.

I found that it fit nicely in an old soft leather eyeglass pouch with a belt loop having given up completely on a pocket-able camera. All I can say after two weeks is that the X100 is a delightful camera with superb IQ. It's a wonderful backup to my Leica M9 and Fuji XPro-1.
I doubt that I will ever get the X100S or the X100T. This X100 v. 2.01 does everything I need in a convenient carry around camera since I don't need or use the latest bells and whistles and backing up or moving forward to frame the image is most times no bother unless I have the dreaded immovable building behind me..

Wonderful camera!

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."

Leica M240
Olympus Pen F (MFT)
Leica T
Fuji XF-1
Fuji X70
DXO One
Sony Alpha 6000
Nikon 8008
Minox B

Old 09-21-2014   #19
remphoto

I have really enjoyed my X100 since acquiring it used earlier in the year. Superb images and once the controls become familiar, is very easy to use. I have not encountered any of the problems associated with the first generation X100 -- slow focus and slow startup -- so see not need to upgrade to a newer version.

Old 09-23-2014   #20
KoNickon
Nick Merritt

All -- someone locally is offering an X100, with case, accessories and original packaging, for $450. At first I thought it's a great deal, but -- isn't the X100S a significant improvement? And regardless, we're talking about a camera with a fixed 35mm equivalent lens, right? Limited utility.

Very sorry if it sounds like I've just climbed out from under a rock.

Old 09-23-2014   #21
FA Limited
planespotting

seeing as the new X100T just came out, it will put further downward pressure on prices.

i think the X100 original already hit $500 on the used markets quite a while ago. as great as fuji is with their X cameras, they don't give a rats ass about resale value.

personally i hate the x-trans look and found from using an X-E1 that the X100 also seemed to meter more to my preferences as well.

Old 09-23-2014   #22
MiniMoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post
All -- someone locally is offering an X100, with case, accessories and original packaging, for $450. At first I thought it's a great deal, but -- isn't the X100S a significant improvement? And regardless, we're talking about a camera with a fixed 35mm equivalent lens, right? Limited utility.

Of course the 100s and t offer more! More features, more speed (as it seems), more pixels..... for those who need it. I was VERY happy with my X100, in fact so happy I grabbed one on the Bay again just now (is in the mail right now).

If you want very good picture quality, a camera that's nice to hold and operate, that works just like the cameras of the olde times, then a good, used X100 is the cheapest offer.

Don't let the fixed lens put you off! It helped me concentrate on the essential, taking pictures and seeing the world with new eyes. Didn't really feel the limitations.

My favourite cameras are the Oly XA, XA2 and Trip 35 which all have fixed lenses, and the OM2n I mainly use with the 28mm. I don't like changing lenses when I'm out and about, which is the reason I dropped the DSLR gear 3 years ago. Never looked back. I made an error trying to get into the X-E1 and Fuji's XF lenses recently, but that was too much like lugging the heavy DSLR bad again. I'll keep the X-E1 to use with my old glass and a Skink pinhole and that's it.

The X100 will again be my daily carry.... well until GAS hits again!

Now if you are a 'notorious lens changer', it's not a camera for you.

Old 09-23-2014   #23
Gid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNickon View Post

There are 28mm and 50 mm converters available for the X100, so not that limited utility and they fit all versions of the X100. As to the level of improvement offered by the X100S or T, I have no idea as I have not felt compelled to "upgrade". At the price quoted, you could just about buy two X100s for the price of 1 X100S, never mind a T.

My Top Ten

Gid

Old 09-23-2014   #24
MiniMoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gid View Post
There are 28mm and 50 mm converters available for the X100.
Yes, and that's dangerous..... GAS is calling already. I had the 28mm converter on a previous X100 and was very happy with it.

Of course it makes the camera larger, but it still handles well, even more comfortable as you can nicely cradle the lens in your left hand.

The 50mm converter seems awkward with it's huuuuge front element and seems prone to flare, especially as there's no way to add a lens hood.

Old 09-23-2014   #25
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

ah, i really like my x100. Even without the newest fw, i've used it extensively on our holiday in the southwest, while my wife used a nikon with two zooms, and i must say i like the fuji's images better but i won't tell her this of course
(well, except where a longer lens was really necessary - but that was not too often)

i bought it from a rff member some 2 years ago, for 600 bucks i think, and it's worth every cent.
Now i upgraded the fw and indeed it focuses visibly faster, and a bit closer without the macro mode. I still have to see about the battery indicator - that was a bit annoying, the steep fall of power, but i always carried 2 extra batteries with me, at least one fully charged so i never landed without power.

Old 09-24-2014   #26
tbhv55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pherdinand View Post
Now i upgraded the fw and indeed it focuses visibly faster, and a bit closer without the macro mode. I still have to see about the battery indicator - that was a bit annoying, the steep fall of power, but i always carried 2 extra batteries with me, at least one fully charged so i never landed without power.
Yes, I agree - the firmware upgrades are well worth installing for the focus improvements. It's really a very different machine from its early incarnation, when the focus was quite poor.

It's a pity about the battery charge indicator, but I believe I read that an f/w upgrade couldn't change this, as different hardware would be needed to improve things.

I do wish, though, that they would provide a firmware update to offer the option of a quick-access method of switching from manual auto-ISO to manual-ISO - ideally by a single touch (or press-and-hold) of an assigned button.

Old 09-24-2014   #27
willie_901

The slower and more deliberate you work, the more acceptable the X100 becomes.

The focusing aids are more versatile and flexible with the X100S/T models.

My X100 raw would start to show banding above ISO 1600 when in shadow regions that were selectively pushed more than a stop or two. If you prefer dramatic shows (just let shadows be shadows) the banding is irrelevant. I have not seen banding with XTrans or Xtrans II raw.

The X100S is probably the best buy in terms of priceerformance once the X100T hits the store shelves. The X100 price could fall to the pint where it's irresistible. I sold my X100, but would pick one up just for fun if the price were low enough (say $300-350).

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-06-2015   #28
ray*j*gun

I just bought a 100 from a member here and it will come with firmware 1.20

I want to get the latest upgrades but do I have to do it in steps? That is, do I have to go to 1.21 then 1.3 etc until I get to 2.01?

Also I dont see the updates listed for some of those steps....any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Old 10-06-2015   #29
willie_901

You only need to install the most recent version to receive all the updates since 1.20.

This is the case for all Fujifilm X-series bodies and lenses.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-06-2015   #30
ray*j*gun

Great thanks Willie

Old 10-21-2015   #31
ray*j*gun

Updated the firmware to most recent and wow do I like this camera. The update process went smoothly and the results compared to the original firmware version of 1.10 is dramatic.

Thanks