Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Large Format Film RF

Large Format Film RF Forum for Large Format Rangefinders (generally 4x5 or larger format) iIncluding Linhof 4x5, Graflex 4x5, and other Large Format Rangefinders.

Anyone using a Rollfilm back on their 4x5 Rangefinder?
Old 11-09-2012   #1
Pirate
Guitar playing Fotografer

Anyone using a Rollfilm back on their 4x5 Rangefinder?

I just finished changing lenses on my Crown Graphic. The old Schneider Kreutznach has a small light leak through the shutter blades so I put my Nikkor in it's place. Tomorrow with some daylight I'll be double checking the focusing bed stop pieces... etc..

I also broke out my Graphic 8 Rollfilm back and will be making a mask for my viewfinder so I can shoot 120 on the Crown.

Anyone else using a Rollfilm back on their 4x5?

Leica II IIIc M3, Mamiya C2, Nikon F, F3P, F5, Hasselblad 500C/M, SW/C, Crown Graphic 4x5, Rollei 3.5F / SLX / Baby Gray, Sinar F and P 4x5, Polaroid 100 & 450 Land, Kodak Retina II and IIa, Fuji GW690II, Graphic View II 4x5.

http://dudewithad700.deviantart.com/
http://arolloffilm.blogspot.com/
My Top 10(12) Best!

Old 11-09-2012   #2
BTMarcais

yes- i masked off the optical tunnel VF on the crown graphic to use a 6x12 back with, and use the 6x12 back and linhof super rollex 6x7 backs on my tech IV.

The only time I feel at all weird about it is if I use one of the rollfilm backs on the 5x7 camera with a 4x5 reducing back.... although it is kinda fun w/ the 450mm....

-Brian

Old 11-09-2012   #3
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

6x7 and 6x9 backs on the Horseman VHR - but really, it is a 120 based RF field camera that allows you to add a 4x5, not the other way around...

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 11-09-2012   #4
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Yes...a Calumet C2 6x7 back with my Zone VI 4x5 Field Camera...
pf

Old 11-09-2012   #5
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure

Do you have a rangefinder attachement for that Zone VI?

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography

Old 11-09-2012   #6
S.H.
Picture taker

I use a chinese back to shoot 6x9 or 6x12 with my crown/speed, on tripod. Crude, but bulletproof.

For example (6x9):

on Flickr

Old 11-10-2012   #7
Roger Hicks

Sure. 6x7, 6x9, 6x12.

Cheers,

R.

Old 11-16-2012   #8
oftheherd

I have rollfilm backs for 4x5 and 9x12. I have used both, more for seeing how I liked them and to make sure they worked, For actual photo use, I think I would be more inclined to use the 9x12. But having a Super Press 23, there is less need for them. I do tend to carry the 6x9 back for the 9x12 though in case of preference for some reason.

Old 11-16-2012   #9
rjbuzzclick

I use a 6x7 back on my Speed Graphic. I've found that the top viewfinder, while accurate for 4x5 framing, is horribly inaccurate with the proper 6x7 mask. The wire frame sights and guess-compensating for the smaller format work much better for handheld use. I also have the GG marked for 6x7 when using a tripod. Anyone else run into this issue with the top sight?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Old 11-16-2012   #10
Pirate

There are different viewfinder masks for the Graphics, as here:

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/viewfinder-masks.html

Leica II IIIc M3, Mamiya C2, Nikon F, F3P, F5, Hasselblad 500C/M, SW/C, Crown Graphic 4x5, Rollei 3.5F / SLX / Baby Gray, Sinar F and P 4x5, Polaroid 100 & 450 Land, Kodak Retina II and IIa, Fuji GW690II, Graphic View II 4x5.

My Top 10(12) Best!

Old 11-18-2012   #11
graywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
I have two lever wind Graflex backs for 4x5. One is ostensibly a 6x9 back but it is pretty close in size to the other 6x7 so I don't know if the people at Graflex were challenged with math or not... At any rate, I always keep color neg in one because color neg 4x5 is pricey....

By the way, it is difficult to ascertain whether the backs are loaded or not if you don't use them for a while so when I unload them I turn the magazine insert upside down.

On the list to get one of these days is a Horseman 6x12.
The technique I use on my film holders is if the darkslide is unlocked the holder is empty. If the black side is out, the film is unexposed, and if the light side is out the film is exposed.

The memmonics that goes with that is "Exposed to dark" & "Exposed to light". Where (dark=black), & (light=silver).

Old 11-18-2012   #12
Pirate

If I'm leaving loaded backs around for more than a day or two, I'll put masking tape on it to mark what's in it. If I take the tape off, it's safe to assume that it's empty - and if it's not, it's my fault.

My Top 10(12) Best!

Old 11-18-2012   #13
Nokton48

I take a loop of masking tape and stick it to the back of the torn-off film box end. Then stick it to the back of the Graflex film magazine. Then, I am sure it is loaded with film.

I use these Graflex magazines with my Sinar Normas, although I have to invert the inner part, which requires taking a file to the "outer shell", to get it to snap shut properly. No big deal, really. It's required to clear the Norma mechanisms.

I prefer the older wind-knob Graflex backs to the lever-wind ones. Much less to go wrong. Bullet proof, really.

Old 11-18-2012   #14
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_designer View Post
Do you have a rangefinder attachement for that Zone VI?
No, I don't...
pf

Old 11-19-2012   #15
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
If I'm leaving loaded backs around for more than a day or two, I'll put masking tape on it to mark what's in it. If I take the tape off, it's safe to assume that it's empty - and if it's not, it's my fault.
That's what works for me. I also use that for cut film holders so I know what film is in them. It also lets me know if a holder has been exposed if there is a big X on it.

Old 11-19-2012   #16
Mr_Flibble

I use a Graphic 23 roll film holders on both my Anniversary Speed Graphic and my Pre-annivesary miniature Speed Graphic

Coated 127mm f/4.7 Ektar lens from 1946 and Ektar 100 film

Latest Toys: Bulk roll of Double-X.
Latest Activity: Timberwolf Tracks 2017

Old 11-19-2012   #17
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Nice Rick

Same lens I have on my converted Polaroid 110A, on which I could mount a Graflok if so inclined. As it is I use it mostly with a Graflex 23, and that and pack film.

Graflex 23, Tri-X, Caffenol

Stranglehold by Eirik0304, on Flickr

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 11-19-2012   #18
Rangefinderfreak

I have several 6X9 backs, Toyo, Horseman, Graflex. I have also a 70mm Graflex back 6X7 for 4X5" that I could part with, I can throw some 70mm cassettes + some 70mm film if anybody is interested to give an offer... PM, please

Old 11-23-2012   #19
roboflick

does anyone have a 6 by 12 back that they're not using? pm me

thanks
Nik

Old 01-22-2013   #20
Vickko

So is that the key to getting the LF camera out more? Roll film back, calibrated rangefinder, masked viewfinder?

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 01-22-2013   #21
dschal

And less time on photograph forums!

Old 08-05-2013   #22
Farside

When I started in LF, it was via German 9x12s and one or two came with ancient Rollex backs. That was a hoot, finding they still worked fine (and lighttight) after 50, 60, 70 years.
I find them very handy to rapidly run some film through a body after messing with the lens, bellows, settings of the bed, registration, in fact any excuse at all, really.
I'm in the odd situation now of not having a rollfilm back for 4x5, although I've got an RH50 I mean to convert and run some 120 through. Great, that's another excuse to do it.
------

Old 08-12-2013   #23
kram

Horseman 6x12, MPP 6x9, Linhof 6x7. Have not used the 6x7 yet. Easier to use a 6x7 camera. 6x12 if you can get them printed in colour, very nice.

Old 08-12-2013   #24
GaryLH

I have several. They are great. There are times i ust dont feel like developing sheet film. The most versatile type maybe the ones where they slip in like a sheet film holder. I like the ones like the graflex rh8 and 12 the best. I started to use them again (hadn't for a long time) after getting my first 9x12 plate camera. A 6x9 roll film back on a plate camera is quite nice..

Gary

Old 08-12-2013   #25
Vickko

You bet, and Polaroid back too. Makes the LF experience a much more familiar hand-held experience.

35mm (film and digital)
Film only for 6x6cm, 6x9cm & 4x5in
BW darkroom to 4x5in

Old 08-13-2013   #26
Farside

Today, I just took delivery of a Universal Back to Rollex converter - a spacer which sits in the UB, held by the slide-locks and allows use of one of these old 6x9 rollfilm holders. Excellent; now I can use these on my Crown.
The converter was a Linhof part and is designed for their slightly shorter UB, so needs a slight Dremel touch, but no biggie.
------

Old 08-13-2013   #27
Mr_Flibble

Looking forward to see your results with it.
I had to do some slight dremel work as well to put a graflok back on my Combat Graphic and my Miniature SG.

More recent photo's

Combat Graphic with Kodak Anastigmat lens, Kodak Tri-X in a Graphic 23 roll film holder

Anniversary Speed Graphic Kodak Ektar lens, Ilford FP4+ in Graphic 23 roll film holder

Old 08-13-2013   #28
menos

Great shots there Rick! Do you us the standard Kallart rangefinder or some modification of it to focus these?

I have great respect for anyone who can shoot the Graphic with that RF in quick situations.

Old 08-13-2013   #29
Mr_Flibble

I used the Kallart rangefinder on my Speed Graphic for that shot, together with the small parallex VF on top for composition. I didn't quite nail the focus on the other 7 photos during that demonstration.
It did give me a new sense of respect for the sports photographers and war photographers who had to use one of these things in the thick of the action.

Another one from that roll.

The Combat Graphic lacks an RF, so you're stuck guessing the distance and have to hope the subject lies in the shallow DOF of the long lens.
I haven't quite figured out how to compose with Wire Frame sportsfinder yet.
I used it this last weekend, but only attempted 3 action photos. I didn't want to risk ruining too many images on the roll

Old 08-13-2013   #30
menos

Very interesting to see these shots Rick, very well done!

Somebody knowledgable please correct me, but I suppose most action shots back in the days of 4x5 press cameras were either stopped down a lot in bright daylight or shot with flash, when possible or were shot wide open in available light with lot's of luck + skill and simply not needed to be tack sharp as todays internet people with digital expectations expect them to be.

Remember these shots were for newspaper use (hence there was no need to make the floppy mechanics of the Graphics to work as precisely as todays Linhofs).

Old 08-13-2013   #31
Farside

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
Very interesting to see these shots Rick, very well done!

Somebody knowledgable please correct me, but I suppose most action shots back in the days of 4x5 press cameras were either stopped down a lot in bright daylight or shot with flash, when possible or were shot wide open in available light with lot's of luck + skill and simply not needed to be tack sharp as todays internet people with digital expectations expect them to be.

Remember these shots were for newspaper use (hence there was no need to make the floppy mechanics of the Graphics to work as precisely as todays Linhofs).
Yeah, it was quite common to see wartime pics with long dof, so eliminating errors quite successfully. Rather a usable pic than one that didn't work out. It's something I've always done myself, reasoning the same outcome. Not so difficult now of course, but back then you could always crop in the darkroom but you couldn't go back and re-focus the pic.
------

Old 08-13-2013   #32
Mr_Flibble

I was told that Press photographers got around the focusing difficulties by using flashbulbs and a consistent f/stop, then shooting from a standard distance. Essentially a 4x5 point-and-shoot program.

Old 08-14-2013   #33
menos

In any case, I enjoy seeing these wide aperture 4x5 shots, be it roll film or the whole film.
It just looks marvellous, so keep em coming Rick ;-)

Old 08-14-2013   #34
Mr_Flibble

Heh, alright....

Some Tri-X,

Fort Island IJmuiden, Combat Graphic

Old 08-14-2013   #35
Mr_Flibble

Kodak Ektar 100 with Anniversary SG

Adox 100 CHS with Miniature SG (click to enlarge)

Old 08-14-2013   #36
menos

Very nice!
The funny thing is, I never had any interest in guns and military topics, but I follow your photography for a while now and your shots always make me want to see more!

I really like the two shots above in post 34!

Old 08-14-2013   #37
Mr_Flibble

Thanks Dirk,

I shot some Ektar and Tmax 100 with the combat graphic last weekend at Fort Veldhuis. Should have some more results by Saturday;

Speed Graphic, Ilford XP2

Pont De La Roque, Brittany

Plan Fougères, Brittany

Old 08-14-2013   #38
BW400CN
Bessamatic forever!

Got a Rada Rollfilm back for my 9x12cm Voigtländer Avus that I will use occasionally. At the moment I´m on the hunt for cut film holder or cut film inserts.

Voigtländer Avus 9x12 / 1924 von LeBleuBeau auf Flickr

Old 08-15-2013   #39
Farside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Flibble View Post

Plan Fougères, Brittany
Excellent work.
I see the Yanks are stealing the local women, as usual
------

Old 08-15-2013   #40
Mr_Flibble

He's actually a pom in disguise