Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs

Photo Books / Mags / Articles / Blogs This is the place to talk about Photo Books, Photography Magazines, Photography Articles, as well as specialized Photo booksellers. Some books are a lot better than others, so it really does make a difference which ones you buy!

Breaking The Ice
Old 08-19-2012   #1
LChanyungco

Breaking The Ice

dear RFF, i'd like to present to you "Breaking The Ice." This is the result of my 3+ year project shot in Berlin. I'll be leaving for Asia or back to the U.S.A. in less than a year so i thought it was time to put it into print.
Berlin is a city known for its history. All at once bleak, brilliant, haunted, vaunted, sweet, salty, and most things in between. This is an exploration of darkness and light within city limits.

Breaking The Ice
20.5 x 27.5 cm, 43 images, 88 pages, offset print
Scratch proofed softcover w/glued and sewn binding
Edition of 400 books.

For a closer look, please visit www.chanyungco.com *splash page has audio* you can disable via a button on the bottom left of the page*

For anyone in Berlin that's interested in picking one up there are three stores that have it in stock now.

König . Taschen
Buchhandlung für Fotografie
im Museum für Fotografie / Helmut Newton Stiftung
Jebensstraße 2 • 10623 Berlin
TEL. 030 / 31 80 85-58
FAX 030 / 31 80 85-79
Öffnungszeiten: DI-SO 10-18 Uhr, DO bis 22 Uhr

an der Museumsinsel
Burgstraße 27 • 10178 Berlin
TEL. 030 / 2576 098-0
FAX. 030 / 2576 098-29
MAIL: [email protected]
Öffnungszeiten: MO-SA 10-20 Uhr

Wood Wood
Rochstraße 4, 10178 Berlin, Germany
Phone:+49 30 28047877
Hours: 12:00 am – 8:00 pm

thanks for your time !

Last edited by LChanyungco : 08-20-2012 at 01:26. Reason: clarity

Old 08-19-2012   #2
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Couldn't you have posted that the day before yesterday, when I was still in Berlin?

Anyway, congrats on getting the book out! It'd be great if you could share some experience of the publishing process, in particular how easy (or difficult) it was to find a publisher that gives good quality for printed images while being affordable at that kind of low print run.

Old 08-20-2012   #3
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Ha! Really looking forward to seeing my copy soon!

I'm in awe over the fact that it is off-set printed, the pictures will be much better than any Blurb book as a result!

Lem's work I have always admired and after meeting him in Berlin last year I was impressed with the determination he puts into his photography.

Editing pictures to a book, having it designed and off-set printed is just awesome.

I know I will be enjoying this book for a long time to come!

Old 08-21-2012   #4
LChanyungco

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Couldn't you have posted that the day before yesterday, when I was still in Berlin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardkid View Post
Ha! Really looking forward to seeing my copy soon!

(Editing pictures to a book, having it designed and off-set printed is just awesome.)

I know I will be enjoying this book for a long time to come!
thanks for taking the time to comment guys, Johan thanks for your support of the project, Philipp concerning the process; Johan pretty much summed it up just add time.

Old 08-21-2012   #5
dasuess
Nikon Freak

I am impressed and would like to order a copy; however, it's a rather large soft bound book and I am concerned that it would arrive undamaged here in Minnesota, USA. How is it packed for shipping?

David A. Suess
Nikon Df: 24/f2.8, 28/f3.5, 35f/2, 43-86/f3.5, 55/f3.5 Micro, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 180/f2.8, 200/f4, 300/f4.5
http://DavidSuessImages.com

Old 08-21-2012   #6
LChanyungco

Hi David, thanks so much for your interest ! They come wrapped in celophane and then shipped in a rigid cardboard mailer. Let me know if have any more questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasuess View Post
I am impressed and would like to order a copy; however, it's a rather large soft bound book and I am concerned that it would arrive undamaged here in Minnesota, USA. How is it packed for shipping?

Last edited by LChanyungco : 08-21-2012 at 07:34. Reason: +photo

Old 08-21-2012   #7
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Received mine! Thrilled!

Had a look at it just now and love it. GREAT SHOTS!

Regarding packing, it is very well packed indeed. The packing fits like a glove and has cardboard 'tunnels' around the book so that if the packing gets dented on the corners, the book still is unharmed.

I'm really impressed Lem!

Old 08-21-2012   #8
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Oh, and was instructed to add here that my 11-yr old son Jonah also really likes the book!

Old 08-21-2012   #9
jippiejee

Seeing that my (constructive) comments have been deleted here, I realize that this forum does not encourage any real exchange of thoughts apart from throwing powdered sugar at each other.
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 08-21-2012   #10
jippiejee

Did I mention your web site is brilliant already?
Leica M4-P/M8/M9

Old 08-21-2012   #11
JChrome
Street Worker

The images on the site are very well done!

Old 08-21-2012   #12
maddoc
... likes film.

A most excellent book !! I have received my copy a couple of days after ultra-speedy shipping from Berlin to Tokyo !

Keep up the good work, Lem !!

flickr
pBase

Old 08-24-2012   #13
LChanyungco

Thank you for the warm reception everyone !

Old 08-25-2012   #14
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

A BUMP for this fine book by an American in Berlin!

Have a look at Lems website people, there's great shots there and in the (beautiful, off-set printed, self-financed) book!

Hats off to a skilled fellow-RFF photographer that stands by his work like that, right?

Two major photography book shops in Berlin have taken his book on sale the moment they saw it. Now that's an endorsement if ever there was one!

Hi Lem. Sorry but I felt you deserved this!

Old 08-25-2012   #15
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Wonderful images... inspiring me to not let go of 'the streets'. Thank you. I look forward to receiving the book.

Fuji digital; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-28-2012   #16
LChanyungco

BIG thanks to everyone that's ordered one, i appreciate your encouragement and support !

Old 08-30-2012   #17
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Hey Lem,

I love the rich blacks you have in those shots in the book, something I hardly ever accomplish. Most of the time my blacks look like real dark greys with some white specs in them.

Did you have negatives that have those same blacks already, or is this from the offset printing as well? In books I always do see those rich blacks...

Care 2 share?

Old 08-30-2012   #18
dasuess
Nikon Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LChanyungco View Post
Hi David, thanks so much for your interest ! They come wrapped in celophane and then shipped in a rigid cardboard mailer. Let me know if have any more questions
Just completed my order... And given the positive comments here, looking forward to receiving my copy.

David A. Suess
Nikon Df: 24/f2.8, 28/f3.5, 35f/2, 43-86/f3.5, 55/f3.5 Micro, 85/f1.8, 105/f2.5, 180/f2.8, 200/f4, 300/f4.5

Old 08-30-2012   #19
LChanyungco

i really appreciate the support David !

Quote:
Just completed my order... And given the positive comments here, looking forward to receiving my copy.

I'm not 100% sure Johan. It could be the +1/+2 push on the film or it could be the lab's development methods. Also the printer advised me that with offset print, the blacks could actually come out as a dark grey. I can see this in a couple of the photographs but not enough to ruin the spirit of the book

Quote:
Hey Lem,

I love the rich blacks you have in those shots in the book, something I hardly ever accomplish. Most of the time my blacks look like real dark greys with some white specs in them.

Did you have negatives that have those same blacks already, or is this from the offset printing as well? In books I always do see those rich blacks...

Care 2 share?

Old 08-30-2012   #20
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Lem,

those slightly more grey shots I saw too and I like them but the dark blacks really got to me. What film do you generally use? Still Tri-X?

This was all Leica shots, right? Or did you use other camera's too?

Old 08-31-2012   #21
LChanyungco

yessir mostly Tri-X, in my M3 and M6 with 50mm and 35mm lenses and a 28mm Ricoh GR1s.

Quote:
Lem,

Still Tri-X?
This was all Leica shots, right? Or did you use other camera's too?

Old 09-01-2012   #22
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
yessir mostly Tri-X, in my M3 and M6 with 50mm and 35mm lenses and a 28mm Ricoh GR1s.
Those two camera's of yours with only a 35 and a 50 made me decide that I really could do with much less gear and as a result I now only own 21-35-50-85, one of each.

All other stuff I sold and invested in travel and in a Rolleiflex!

Old 09-10-2012   #23
LChanyungco

I would like to thank everyone that has ordered a copy of my book. Your support makes it all worthwhile !

Old 09-12-2012   #24
dasuess
Nikon Freak

Quote:
i really appreciate the support David !
Just got it today... Arrived in great shape. I am very impressed with images and the quality of the printing. Congrats on a great book.

David A. Suess

Old 09-14-2012   #25
boomguy57

Wow...fantastic. I'm pleased for this on several levels. First, as an American that grew up in Berlin for 8 years, I have a soft spot for the city. As an RFFer, I have a soft spot for rangefinders and analog photography

It's also encouraging to see someone selling some books. Thus far I have only done mine via blurb, but I envision that being the first step to getting them printed and selling via my website. However, I'm never sure what kind of a reception I'd get. Finding constructive critiques is difficult online and I'm never sure if the lack of responses is due to apathy, dislike of my work, or what. So that's good to see.

I took a quick look at the website, and I'll order a copy when I get home tonight. If nothing else, I like to support fellow amateurs (and RFFers) who are getting their work out there. I know how much work it takes to put a book together.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Old 09-19-2012   #26
LChanyungco

sorry i didn't respond to you guys any sooner. not sure how to get email notifications for responses to the post/thread; but anyway, thank you David it makes me a happy man to hear that you enjoyed it

and thanks for your interest Trevor, and if you have any specific questions that you want to ask me you can contact me and i'll try my best to help. looking forward to receiving your order.

Quote:
Just got it today... Arrived in great shape. I am very impressed with images and the quality of the printing. Congrats on a great book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomguy57 View Post
Wow...fantastic. I'm pleased for this on several levels. First, as an American that grew up in Berlin for 8 years, I have a soft spot for the city. As an RFFer, I have a soft spot for rangefinders and analog photography

It's also encouraging to see someone selling some books. Thus far I have only done mine via blurb, but I envision that being the first step to getting them printed and selling via my website. However, I'm never sure what kind of a reception I'd get. Finding constructive critiques is difficult online and I'm never sure if the lack of responses is due to apathy, dislike of my work, or what. So that's good to see.

I took a quick look at the website, and I'll order a copy when I get home tonight. If nothing else, I like to support fellow amateurs (and RFFers) who are getting their work out there. I know how much work it takes to put a book together.

Old 10-06-2012   #27
kosta_g

I just wanted to make a small contribution about this book, as I received my copy this week and have found myself revisiting it several times.

The images, layout and progression are all excellent. Print quality is quite impressive.

The growth of familiarity with the city is noticeable throughout the book, as well as the exploration of the people within it. The new and old Berlin are brought together nicely.

highly recommended! (or as my favourite Berlin-based record store would say: "TIP!")

Old 11-16-2012   #28
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

So Lem,

what's all this talk on features in magazines in Germany? You wanna give us a 'sneak preview' on where to expect your work in magazines in the coming months?

Pretty please?

Old 11-16-2012   #29
k__43
Registered Film User

great book .. thumbs up for this one!
get it while it lasts.

Old 11-16-2012   #30
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

the book is good. buy it.

Old 11-18-2012   #31
LChanyungco

Big thanks and appreciation guys. Johan I'll post details once they are clearer.

Old 12-09-2012   #32
LChanyungco

dearest RFF, here's a small feature on "Breaking The Ice" in the latest installment of Doc! Photo Magazine. available for free online here. there's also a brief review of the book towards the back. thanks again for your interest and support folks !

* also, a few of my color photographs will be in the upcoming issue of PhotoKlassik magazine.

Old 12-09-2012   #33
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Quote:
dearest RFF, here's a small feature on "Breaking The Ice" in the latest installment of Doc! Photo Magazine. available for free online here. there's also a brief review of the book towards the back. thanks again for your interest and support folks !

* also, a few of my color photographs will be in the upcoming issue of PhotoKlassik magazine.
Great news, Lem! Congrats on those two publications!

I can only imagine what a good feeling it must be that two professional magazines (one even dedicated to film-based photography only!) choose to feature your pictures, and in the ever-important holiday issue at that as well!

Old 12-16-2012   #34
LChanyungco

thanks again for your enthusiasm and support Johan. it helps to keep me going for sure.

Quote:
Great news, Lem! Congrats on those two publications!

I can only imagine what a good feeling it must be that two professional magazines (one even dedicated to film-based photography only!) choose to feature your pictures, and in the ever-important holiday issue at that as well!

thanks for the good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sejanus.Aelianus View Post
I had a look at the website and I have to say that this isn't my cup of tea at all.

I am glad, however, to see what looks like being a self-publishing success. Here's hoping you have to do a second edition!

Old 01-24-2013   #35
LChanyungco

With winter now on full blast its a perfect time for new books and the mental journeys that they take you on. If you'd like more information on how you can get your copy of Breaking The Ice please visit my website's publication page. The next few orders will include a small print that was used during final editing and sequencing. 1 of 43.

Breaking The Ice
20.5 x 27.5 cm, 43 images, 88 pages, offset print
Scratch proofed softcover w/glued and sewn binding
Edition of 400 books.

And for anyone in Berlin that's interested in picking one up there are two stores that have it in stock now.

König . Taschen
Buchhandlung für Fotografie
im Museum für Fotografie / Helmut Newton Stiftung
Jebensstraße 2 • 10623 Berlin
TEL. 030 / 31 80 85-58
FAX 030 / 31 80 85-79
Öffnungszeiten: DI-SO 10-18 Uhr, DO bis 22 Uhr

an der Museumsinsel
Burgstraße 27 • 10178 Berlin
TEL. 030 / 2576 098-0
FAX. 030 / 2576 098-29
MAIL: [email protected]
Öffnungszeiten: MO-SA 10-20 Uhr

Personal pick up is also an option but carries a higher cost of +1 beer

Old 01-24-2013   #36
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Personal pick up is also an option but carries a higher cost of +1 beer
... if only Berlin would be closer ...

flickr
pBase

Old 01-24-2013   #37
johannielscom
Leica II is The One

Buy the book people, it's good stuff and now you even get that print with it.

Heck, Lem might even sign it and it will be a great investment, better than sinking your cash in a digital Leica...

Old 01-24-2013   #38
SimonSawSunlight
userabuser

i couldn't afford a copy for myself yet, but i have to agree with johan. i have seen the book and it is very good. buy it you cheap ****ers! ( )

Old 01-24-2013   #39
Red Rock Bill

I purchased the book a while back....well worth the price of admission...good job...regards,Bill

Old 02-20-2013   #40
LChanyungco

thank you very much friends !

i still have copies of the book that i would like to ship out to you guys that haven't gotten a copy yet. no idea how mail distribution will work when i leave Berlin this Summer... get one while you can !