Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Fuji GF670 back in (limited) production
Old 01-23-2017   #1
CK Dexter Haven

Fuji GF670 back in (limited) production

http://uncrate.com/article/fujifilm-...finder-camera/

Oh.... In another thread, folks are saying fuji just "found" some old stock.... And the article doesn't actually say they're producing them again. I guess i misread it:

"making a limited return engagement"

Old 01-23-2017   #2
conyon

Thanks for the alert.....
B&H has it back-ordered and expected at the start of Feb 2017 for a shade under $2000

Old 01-23-2017   #3
f16sunshine

That's pretty cool. I wonder if they are saving some parts for service and repair? Hope so!

Old 01-23-2017   #4
Hogarth Ferguson

The camera started at 1799, now it is at 1999. I wonder if this is a "test the waters" type thing to see if it is viable to make another limited run. I find it hard to believe they just lost and then found some in a warehouse.

Old 01-23-2017   #5
Huss

I wonder how they are going to handle warranty issues. I don't think Fuji USA touches their film cameras anymore.

Old 01-24-2017   #6
Archlich

I heard from a friend, who claimed having talked to a Fuji executive, that for the GF670W a single production run of less than 3,000 cameras was made. Once the stock was drained they subsequently discontinued the line.

Sounds sketchy, but I feel the calculated, limited production runs has a grain of reality in it. It could also explain the hefty price tag.

The production of the GF670 might be similarly laid out.

Old 01-24-2017   #7
henryp
B&H Photo-Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I wonder how they are going to handle warranty issues. I don't think Fuji USA touches their film cameras anymore.
Fuji USA says these have a 1-year manufacturer's warranty.

Old 01-24-2017   #8
zuiko85

I would love to see a manufacture's warranty cover not 1 year but 1 year of use.
In other words, if you buy a camera the warranty starts the day after you get the camera in hand. If a warranty failure happens and the camera is out of your hands for say, 3 months, including shipping time from and to customer, then the warranty is extended however much time of use was lost to the customer.

Just a random thought.

Old 01-24-2017   #9
DFigueira

If I was rich, that's one sexy camera I would buy... and that viewfinder

Too bad there isn't any cheap direct alternative :P

Old 01-24-2017   #10
taomei

I really don't understand how this 'fire sale' within the course of a day saw the camera rise from 1699 to 1999 in the span of a few hours. All while being 'back-ordered' and accepting pre-payment. Sounded fishy.

Old 01-24-2017   #11
Wongallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post
I hope this is true. Who will do the service? I have a GF670 and I contacted Southern Photo Technical Service--an authorized Fuji repair center, about servicing the camera. This was their reply: "Sorry, we do not service that model due to spare parts issues."

I also contacted FujiFilm headquarters in Tokyo and received this reply:
"Thank you for contacting FujiFilm. Unfortunately, we no longer repair film format cameras. We recommend searching the internet for local repair shops in your area."

So who exactly services these cameras? Anyone know? I have a couple of issues with mine.

Old 01-24-2017   #12
taomei

I've heard some people express luck last year with Cosina / Zeiss in Japan if they have a service center there.

Old 01-24-2017   #13
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongallo View Post
I hope this is true. Who will do the service? I have a GF670 and I contacted Southern Photo Technical Service--an authorized Fuji repair center, about servicing the camera. This was their reply: "Sorry, we do not service that model due to spare parts issues."

"Thank you for contacting FujiFilm. Unfortunately, we no longer repair film format cameras. We recommend searching the internet for local repair shops in your area."

So who exactly services these cameras? Anyone know? I have a couple of issues with mine.

Exactly. A warranty is useless if Fuji does not stand by it. And seeing they no longer service/repair existing cameras of the same model, what's the deal with this warranty on new GF670s?

Old 01-24-2017   #14
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wongallo View Post

http://fujifilm.jp/support/filmandca...ice/index.html

According to their Japanese language website, Fujifilm still repairs some film camera models. Listed on their website as still repairable are the Clear Shot M, Natura Classica White, Natura Classica N, Klasse W, Klasse S, and Klasse W black (link here). For medium format cameras, the website states you need to contact a service center for details, but since companies in Japan are required by law to support products for eight years after discontinuation, the GF670 should still be covered.

Fujifilm is a big organization and its quite possible that whoever you spoke with didn't know the actual situation regarding Fujfilm film cameras or didn't want to deal with the language barrier (assuming you spoke with them in English).

Old 01-24-2017   #15
Huss

I think it would be helpful if Mr Posner (B&H) could let us know where warranty work will be conducted. Fuji USA apparently does not work on film cameras anymore. So would the owner have to ship it to Japan? And how would that approval process go? Or would they return it to B&H who would take care of the logistics?

I ask because I know of a few people that had battery drain issues from the get go. (a rare occurrence to be sure) But that was back in the day when Fuji USA handled it.

Old 01-24-2017   #16
Hogarth Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post

I ask because I know of a few people that had battery drain issues from the get go. (a rare occurrence to be sure) But that was back in the day when Fuji USA handled it.
Well, that is a relief, just in the sense that I now know other people have this same issue. In the warmer months, it is fine, usually, but in the cold, I'll put a battery in and shoot for a day, and the next time I use my camera it is totally dead.

My gf670w, though, is fine with batteries.

Old 01-24-2017   #17
BrooklyNYC

I wanted a Fuji GF670 a few years ago, but I don't know if i'll buy any new film cameras anytime soon. I use my film rangefinders often, but wouldn't want to carry anything heavier.

Old 01-24-2017   #18
Hogarth Ferguson

The gf670 is a very light camera. Come to a film in baltimore meetup (just 3 simple hours from brooklyn) and you're welcome to try mine out

Old 01-24-2017   #19
Wongallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
http://fujifilm.jp/support/filmandca...ice/index.html

According to their Japanese language website, Fujifilm still repairs some film camera models. Listed on their website as still repairable are the Clear Shot M, Natura Classica White, Natura Classica N, Klasse W, Klasse S, and Klasse W black (link here). For medium format cameras, the website states you need to contact a service center for details, but since companies in Japan are required by law to support products for eight years after discontinuation, the GF670 should still be covered.

Fujifilm is a big organization and its quite possible that whoever you spoke with didn't know the actual situation regarding Fujfilm film cameras or didn't want to deal with the language barrier (assuming you spoke with them in English).
Thank you for this information. I used their "contact us" form, and you are probably right about the response I received.

I suppose I will have to find a service center in Japan that will work on my camera. I will have to figure this out. These are really terrific cameras. But clearly, it isn't very straightforward to have them serviced, at least in North America.

Old 01-25-2017   #20
Huss

Price has been raised again. It is now $2199.

It has been raised $300 since originally placed for pre-order.

Actually $400+
Old 01-26-2017   #21
EdSawyer

Actually $400+

First pre-order was at 1699 or 1799, so it's actually $400 more now (at least). Profiteering, clearly.

Old 01-26-2017   #22
valdas

I would have considered at $1700, but now - nope, just because...

Old 01-26-2017   #23
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
First pre-order was at 1699 or 1799, so it's actually $400 more now (at least). Profiteering, clearly.
That isn't fair. Supply & demand. No one "owes" you a camera.

Personally, almost pulled the trigger when it was $1700 but I'm afraid the prospect of dropping $25 for each ~12 exposures (film, processing, scan) isn't much appealing. I'm not that efficient a photographer...

not for me regardless
Old 01-27-2017   #24
EdSawyer

not for me regardless

I would never be a potential buyer for this anyway, at that price or nearly any other, I have enough medium format systems already and this one brings nothing new to the table. The only thing tempting about it would be if it was a 6x9 instead of 6x7, but alas, it's not.

Old 03-05-2017   #25
kram

It is a good camera, and I wish they wouldproduce a 6x9. They coul use the exisiting body and machine a wider gate.

Old 03-15-2017   #26
Robert Lai

I received a note from B&H today that they have sold out, and the camera is discontinued: i.e. no more, all gone!