Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Screw Mount / LTM Cameras

Super Rokkor Chiyoko 45mm-1:2.8 M39 Leica Screw Mount
Old 01-14-2007   #1
arbib

Super Rokkor Chiyoko 45mm-1:2.8 M39 Leica Screw Mount

Anyone know about this lens. I assume it was made by Minolta/Rokkor. for LTM.

What might a good price for a nice used one. I have found one on EBay.

It looks like a nice 45mm F/2.8 LTM. compact...like a modern pancake lens in size for the FL.

Compare to an 50/2.8 leitz, or ??

There are a lot of makers out there in the LTM department when LTMM was very popular.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-14-2007   #2
Krosya
Konicaze

I have never had one. Seen them used on Ebay go for about $300-400. Some people reviewed it as very good, yet some said it's terrible. Go figure. It seems to me that there not that many of them and it has more of a collector value than anything else. At the prices I have seen them sell - I'd go for a more modern lens.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 01-14-2007   #3
arbib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krosya
I have never had one. Seen them used on Ebay go for about $300-400. Some people reviewed it as very good, yet some said it's terrible. Go figure. It seems to me that there not that many of them and it has more of a collector value than anything else. At the prices I have seen them sell - I'd go for a more modern lens.
Ok, Right now it is at $33.00. But it has 1day 13h left. I'll keep an eye on it.

There is a Zuiko 40/2.8 LTM also that I am watching. I know modern Zuiko's are nice lens's. but this must be around 40-50 years old. What do you think??

Old 01-14-2007   #4
back alley
IMAGES

the zuiko has a good rep and will likely sell for more than the rokkor.

xt 20/xe 2/xe 1
16/23/23/27/35/50/56/55-200

Old 01-14-2007   #5
Krosya
Konicaze

I think both are worth a try if they don't get too expensive. Sometimes you can find a real sleeper of a lens that way. Just don't get excited and start cometing with collectors, who 'll pay top dollar. Also, make sure it's cood condition - scratches, fungus - all those "good" things that old lenses have sometimes.
Good luck and if you get it - let us know what the results are, pls.

Folders
:
Welta Weltur 6x6/645, Welta Weltur 6x9/645

flickr

Old 05-11-2007   #6
Terao
Kiloran

I'm very impressed with the one I just bought on eBay. Apart from looking absolutely fabulous against the black body of the R-D1 and having some quirky handling (you read the aperture through a hole in the beauty ring, big scalloped focus ring, focus lever) it seems massively sharp wide open for an f/2.8 lens. Has the best depth of field markings I've seen on a lens as well. I'll take some test shots (and shots of the lens) tomorrow...

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 05-11-2007   #7
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

the 45mm f2.8 Rokkor lens was of a 5 element Heliar design.
it was very well lauded in its day.

Old 05-11-2007   #8
furcafe

I think they're valued in the $125-200 range, though they can be had cheaper if you get the Minolta 35 body along w/it. IIRC, forum member Dan Colucci lists it somewhere in his price guide site. I believe it's a Heliar-type. I have 1 & it performs similarly to other lenses of its time period, i.e., good but not as flare-resistant as modern glass:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/ch...rokkorc195253/

I do like the 45mm focal length, though. Otherwise, I've found it to be ergonomically tricky since the aperture ring on mine is very loose (mine is slightly different from terao's version because it has a standard aperture ring, not the 1 w/a hole), but the knurled focus ring is nice because the lens is very small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbib
Anyone know about this lens. I assume it was made by Minolta/Rokkor. for LTM.

What might a good price for a nice used one. I have found one on EBay.

It looks like a nice 45mm F/2.8 LTM. compact...like a modern pancake lens in size for the FL.

Compare to an 50/2.8 leitz, or ??

There are a lot of makers out there in the LTM department when LTMM was very popular.

Thanks for any help.
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 05-11-2007   #9
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

here is a site on the Minolta 35
there is a diagram for the 45mm Rokkor f2.8 lens also.

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/minolta.htm

Old 05-11-2007   #10
Terao
Kiloran

Hmm, mine doesn't comply with that list (or the linked page at the bottom of that page)

5-digit serial, window, accent over the final o, focus scale in feet. So a type1/type2 hybrid...

Bodies:
Nikon D700

My Flickr gallery

Old 05-16-2007   #11
Terao
Kiloran

Shots @ f/2.8 & f/16 plus how it looks on an R-D1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiloran...7600207112530/

Bodies:
Nikon D700

My Flickr gallery

Old 05-16-2007   #12
David Murphy

These came with the Minolta 35 LTM rangefinder (a nice camera). I think $75-$125 is the target price depending upon condition. The one I had was mediocre, but it probably needed a CLA. They are very nicely made and fun to own and use.
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

http://legacycamera.wordpress.com

Old 05-17-2007   #13
furcafe

Thanks for the heads up on that 1. I've found the slower 50/2.8 Super Rokkor (another Elmar/Tessar-type?) to be a nice performer, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meleica

A better lens is the later 50mm 2.0 Super Rokkor

one on ebay now

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHIYOKO-SUPER-RO...QQcmdZViewItem

..... fun lenses....

Dan
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram

Old 05-22-2007   #14
Terao
Kiloran

I paid just over $200 for mine but then the currently mighty £sterling is helping a lot at the moment Nice lens to play around with. In practical terms setting the aperture is a bit of a pain because the focus moves as you turn the aperture ring. In low light its also tricky to see what aperture you're shooting so you just end up leaving it alone (no bad thing in my book). Most of these shots were at f/4 or f/5.6 (ish):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiloran...7600235099090/

I like this one, would have been about f/5.6 @ ISO200 on the R-D1 (so ~70mm EFOV)

Should add that the couple of colour shots in that set need some serious colour correction, still working on a decent curve and profile for the R-D1 (too cyan to my eyes)

Bodies:
Nikon D700

My Flickr gallery

Old 03-10-2008   #15
tooffy

Sorry, may be Off topic but I recently got a Chiyoko 45mm f2.8 (with 7 digits serial number). Wondering what size filter or lens cap does the lens take? Thanks in advance for the information.

"Leicaddiction is a terrible affliction" Lars Bergquist

Old 03-10-2008   #16
trittium

It's a very nice lens to use because of it's compact size. Mine is really sharp. Photos speak louder than words. Here is a flickr set.

http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/se...7602432154716/

If you want to see some of my photos you can go to http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/

Some Digital Art Here
http://flickr.com/photos/tri77ium/

M2, Hexar RF, Leica IIIC, Leica IIIf RD ST, Leica IIF RD too many lenes
Mamiya 6 folder, Certo Dolly Super Sport RF
Voigtlander Alpin, Calumet 4x5, Robot Star 50, Robot II, Robot Star, oh yeah and a crappy minolta digital camera

Old 03-10-2008   #17
tooffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trittium
It's a very nice lens to use because of it's compact size. Mine is really sharp. Photos speak louder than words. Here is a flickr set.

http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/se...7602432154716/
Mine is very sharp too but I do not have a lens cap so am wondering what size lens cap or filter to order. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-11-2008   #18
trittium

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooffy
Mine is very sharp too but I do not have a lens cap so am wondering what size lens cap or filter to order. Thanks for sharing.
The old leitz style lens cap will fit; the one that fits the screw mount elmar and hektor

If you want to see some of my photos you can go to http://flickr.com/photos/trittium/

Some Digital Art Here
http://flickr.com/photos/tri77ium/

M2, Hexar RF, Leica IIIC, Leica IIIf RD ST, Leica IIF RD too many lenes
Mamiya 6 folder, Certo Dolly Super Sport RF
Voigtlander Alpin, Calumet 4x5, Robot Star 50, Robot II, Robot Star, oh yeah and a crappy minolta digital camera

Old 03-11-2008   #19
raid
Dad Photographer

I received a Minolta fixed lens camera for free, but it seems to be inoperative. The camera has the Rokkor 45mm/2.8 on it. Now what? Is the lens really that great, supporting a repair of the camera?

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 03-11-2008   #20
dberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
I received a Minolta fixed lens camera for free, but it seems to be inoperative. The camera has the Rokkor 45mm/2.8 on it. Now what? Is the lens really that great, supporting a repair of the camera?
The lens on your camera is probably not the same as the LTM Super Rokkor 45/2.8. The Super Rokkor was neither a Tessar nor a Heliar; it was sort of in between, with a 5-element/3-group design (cemented triplet up front and two single elements behind the aperture). The Rokkor in your fixed-lens camera is most probably a straight up Tessar. In my experience, the Rokkors in Minoltas fixed-lens rangefinders were all very good, and, for what it's worth, the Rokkors in Minolta Autocords (a Tessar) are exemplary. The LTM Super Rokkor is quite special though -- not just sharpness, but the overall image quality is tops. Whether it is worth repairing your camera depends on the model and cost; you may be able to find a working one for less money than it would cost to repair.

Regarding the cap/filter issue: the Super Rokkor 45/2.8 takes 34mm screw-on filters and hoods (Minolta made them, but any maker's will fit). The original cap was a chrome 36mm push-on job, but any 34mm snap-in or 36mm push-on will fit.

Cheers,

David

Old 03-12-2008   #21
tooffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trittium
The old leitz style lens cap will fit; the one that fits the screw mount elmar and hektor
Thanks Matt

Old 03-12-2008   #22
tooffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberger

Regarding the cap/filter issue: the Super Rokkor 45/2.8 takes 34mm screw-on filters and hoods (Minolta made them, but any maker's will fit). The original cap was a chrome 36mm push-on job, but any 34mm snap-in or 36mm push-on will fit.

Cheers,

David
Thanks David for the information

Old 05-09-2010   #23
je2a3
je

I found a Minolta 35 (1C) at a flea market on a drive back from a visit to my brother in Toronto in the summer of '07. The body had the usual deteriorated curtains while the 45/2.8 lens was not focusing properly. Missing screws indicated a vain attempt to fix the camera and lens in the past. I packed it away as a future project...

Recently I tried to revive the camera - it uses a 4-post system which differs from a Leica - and after a few attempts I knew it was beyond my DIY ability. So I'm hoping my friend Jay (Zorkikat) can get the shutter working again.

Inspired by a Flickr search yielding very nice super rokkor images from furcafe and trittium, I worked on the lens - cleaned the elements and was able to mount it back into the focusing helical.

A quick test on my E-P1 showed promise....

....then a film test on a Leica II...

wide open, f2.8

mid aperture

The filter ring was dented when I got it . Still, not too shabby for a $40 lens with a Minolta 35 rear cap

Old 05-09-2010   #24
David Murphy

Nice shots, sweet camera and lens. Is that city Baguio by any chance?
Canon L1, Leotax S, Bessa R2C, Konica Autoreflex, Canon FX, Pentax Spotmatic, Minolta SRT-101, Nikon F, Exakta VX, Miranda Automex II, Leotax K3, Yashica Mat LM, Leotax S, Pen FT, Rollei 35S, Ricoh Singlex TLS, Kowa Six, Pentax K1000, Canonflex, Praktina, Voigtlander R2C

Old 05-10-2010   #25
je2a3
je

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murphy View Post
Nice shots, sweet camera and lens. Is that city Baguio by any chance?
Thanks!

Actually the view is part of the Sierra Madre mountain range as seen from the balcony of my attic in Quezon City which is well within the Metro Manila area. Seems like you've visited the Philippines.....

Last edited by je2a3 : 05-10-2010 at 06:10.

Old 07-26-2010   #26
David Murphy

Oh yes, I love the Philippines. My son was born in Baguio nearly 12 years ago - spent many days there - hope to visit again when I can.

Old 08-02-2015   #27
lynnb

A friend has kindly lent me his LTM Rokkor 45mm f2.8; I've put it on my IIIc.

I like this lens, it performs very well, but the handling is less than ideal (rotating the focus also rotates the aperture markings, which is probably why they put a secondary aperture scale on the front of the lens, viewable through a small circular hole). On the copy I've borrowed the focus is stiff - it needs a CLA.

Here is the lens mounted on the camera:

...and here are a few photos taken with it. The first is wide open at f2.8:

by lynnb on Flickr

The second photo was taken at f11. No problems with detail!

by lynnb on Flickr

Old 08-02-2015   #28
lynnb

a few more samples for this lens:

by lynnb on Flickr

ignore vignetting (has been added in post):

by lynnb on Flickr

Old 08-04-2015   #29
madNbad

After reading about this little lens over the last year, I found one in nice shape for a good price. This Super Rokkor has a focusing tab in addition to the knurled ring but it would have been nice if they added detent stops for the aperture. Currently I'm using it on a M6 TTL and have added a hood for a 50 Elmar. The thumb screw on the hood makes a nice lever to adjust the f stop.

Old 08-04-2015   #30
rodt16s

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Currently I'm using it on a M6 TTL and have added a hood for a 50 Elmar..
I found the 5cm Elmar gave vignetting, however the 3.5cm Elmar hood works perfectly.
Can get some funky swirly bokeh with this lens.

Old 08-05-2015   #31
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

I own a later 45/2.8 Super Rokkor that has no aperture window. I like the rendering very much and my lens is sharp.

The ergonomics for me are not so bad. I like the massive scalloped focus ring which makes like a lens that has 6 focus tabs. I wish the aperture had detents, but the compact size makes this very much like a pancake lens.

The filter thread is 34mm, and I use a Heliopan 34mm-39mm step up ring to use my 39mm filters. I also use a version 3 50/2.8 Elmar (latest version) hood with the step-up ring and get no vignetting.

Since I own a 43/1.9 Pentax-L I share this great VF'er with my 45/2.8 Super Rokkor. Looks great on my IIIG. I paid $269.00 for my clean example that was CLA'ed before I bought it. Not a common lens.

Cal

Old 08-05-2015   #32
madNbad

Thanks, Cal. I made an error in stating which hood is in use. I have been using the FOOKH hood for a 35 3.5 Summaron/Elmar. I like the ability to use both the hood and the A36 push on filters with both the Super Rokkor and the Summaron. With the hood in place, I aline the thumb screw with the 2.8 mark and use the hood to change f stops. I like the size of the lens and much like the odd ergonomics of the Summaron make it a little challenging but fun to use. Now a really small 90 will fill out my tiny lens collection.

Old 08-05-2015   #33
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by madNbad View Post
Thanks, Cal. I made an error in stating which hood is in use. I have been using the FOOKH hood for a 35 3.5 Summaron/Elmar. I like the ability to use both the hood and the A36 push on filters with both the Super Rokkor and the Summaron. With the hood in place, I aline the thumb screw with the 2.8 mark and use the hood to change f stops. I like the size of the lens and much like the odd ergonomics of the Summaron make it a little challenging but fun to use. Now a really small 90 will fill out my tiny lens collection.
Sorry I failed to mention that with my 34mm-39mm step-up ring that it is either or with the filters or 50 version 3 Elmar hood. I can't use both together or vignetting occurs.

In this requard you enjoy better flexability with your hood and filters.

BTW if looks count, the Super Rokkor looks great on a LTM and a M-body.

Cal

Old 03-13-2017   #34
ACullen

I've had a Chiyoko Rokkor 45mm 2.8 LTM for the past six months or so. As others have noted it has striking looks and is nice and compact appearing very well made.

I has a somewhat swirly OOF look and is very sharp in the centre wide open. Edges improve progressively and are more than acceptable from f5.6. The edges though never do catch up with the centre, so it's not a lens I'd reach for for landscapes or any thing else where I'd want edge to edge sharpness.
In my small collection of normal FL lenses ( Topcor S 5cm f2, Nikkor SC 5cm f1.4) it has a place for its compactness and performance wide open.

The only real annoyance is that it's hard to see what aperture you've selected if the lens is focused in close. The small window in the beauty ring is pretty hopeless for me as there's no way I can read it without eyeglasses .

Old 03-13-2017   #35
css9450

I have one too... I couldn't resist buying it for use on my little mirrorless digital. It has a kind of retro, low-contrast look in the photos.

I've done a little with it on film but not lately. Maybe soon. I have film in my Canon...

Mine had awful, stiff focusing, so I took it apart and removed the old grease which had pretty much petrified. It took some practice to put it back together properly but now it focuses like butter! Its a neat little lens.

Old 03-15-2017   #36
css9450

All in the family...