Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Coffee With Mentors > Nikon Historical Society

Nikon Historical Society -- hosted by the founding member Bob Rotoloni and members of the society. The NHS, based the US, has a worldwide membership. Our "Nikon Journal," published four times a year, concentrates on the history of Japanese photo equipment from the perspective of the Nikon Camera Company. The Nikon Journal often includes Nikon information not published anywhere else in the world. This forum provides an opportunity for conversation between collectors and users of classic film Nikons. See forum “stickies” for more information about the Society. If you are a serious Nikon Collector, you MUST be a NHS member. Join at http://www.nikonhistoricalsociety.com/!

Old 02-16-2017   #121
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
LOL

座布団一枚!
I believe the occupation defined those Nippon Kogaku, K.K. bombsights and navy telescopes as "munitions," in the sense of military weapons. That periscope I posted was used to spot from a trench.

As many on the RFF know, Nikon did dabble with photographic lenses for Canon before the war.

Old 02-16-2017   #122
De_Corday
Eternal Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
What turned you off to the D750?
I've been tempted, but... Two things, really. I don't do video personally, so a tilting LCD is just another point of potential failure. I'm hard on my gear, and while I doubt I'd be hard enough to break it, I also wouldn't really use it.

Second thing is control layout... I'm constantly swapping between center-weighted metering and Matrix, I want a dedicated ISO button, I never use the scene modes... Its a great sensor, I just want it in a D700 body.

Honestly, the Nikon ergonomics (and the small fortune I have in Nikon glass) are what's kept me from jumping ship to a 5DMkIII, and the 700 layout (which is really a carryover from the D200/300 layout) suits my needs particularly well.

Where the 700 really shines for my kind of work is that its a relatively small (if not light) body when it needs to be, but with a grip it's a poor man's D3, with a good spray-and-pray frame rate and a usable buffer. And in either configuration (gripped or not) the batteries last *forever*. In everything but IQ it's still a phenomenal PJ camera, IMHO.

D800 fps is too slow, and from my experience borrowing a pal's, the 700 still outdoes it in low light. As it stands, when, god forbid, my 700 starts to wear out, I'm going to have to jump to the single-digit-D's if I want to keep shooting Nikon

Old 02-17-2017   #123
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothertrucker View Post
I like the idea of a digital Nikon Rangefinder. They have the heritage to pull it off. The issue I see is with lens compatibility. They just can't compete with the variety of lenses that are available in LTM or M mount.

So... why not an M mount, SP or S3 retro styled digital rangefinder??? Priced lower than the latest Leica offerings, I think it would do well.

And if you still want to use your Nikon rangefinder lenses, there are adapters for that already. (Thanks Amedeo!)

I'd buy one.
Wrong track.

As much as we like the S-mount gear, the Nikon legacy and heritage lenses are the F-mount lenses. Since 1959. At a point that they didn't change the mount when the AF arrived. So what Nikon should make now is a DSLR which would be different.

What their marketing babble said the Df would be, but what it wasn't at all. The only interesting thing on the Df is the metal and flippable Ai coupling tab (like it was on the FM, FE and F3). But the rest... Well.

Small, full metal and leather, almost no buttons, simple menus, all in all, what the most recent Leica M bodies are, but with the F6 reflex chamber and interchangeable focusing screens.

They definitely can do this. But it seems they won't. Why ? Nobody neither knows nor understands. Such a tool would sell like hell.

Old 02-17-2017   #124
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Such a tool would sell like hell.
If it doesn't, what then? Photography is no longer a hobby of family men. It is a hobby of women that like to see their pictures on Facebook.

Erik.

Old 02-17-2017   #125
De_Corday
Eternal Student

I think nikon needs to stick to the working pro market. Canon is not hurting in the same way, correct me if I'm wrong? When I go out to shoot for me, serious work or for fun, I bring along my M6. My DSLR is a tool for when I need to deliver something to an editor.
To that end, Highway 61, I think some of what you're saying is right: make it smaller, yes. Give me multiple focusing screen options, yes. Full metal, yes.
But I need buttons. If there's gonna be a matrix meter I need a way to turn it off in a split second. I need a way to select non CPU lenses quickly. I need a way to toggle AF modes quickly.
The DF made me excited when it was first announced, I'll admit. But IMHO the camera that'll get Nikon back on track needs to be a stripped-down professional tool aiming to take on the 5dMkIV, not the M10

Old 02-17-2017   #126
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by De_Corday View Post
I think nikon needs to stick to the working pro market. Canon is not hurting in the same, way, correct me if I'm wrong? When I go out to shoot for me, serious work or for fun, I bring along my M6. My DSLR is a tool for when I need to deliver something to an editor.
To that end, Highway 61, I think some of what you're saying is right: make it smaller, yes. Give me multiple focusing screen options, yes. Full metal, yes.
But I need buttons. If there's gonna be a matrix meter I need a way to turn it off in a split second. I need a way to select non CPU lenses quickly. I need a way to toggle AF modes quickly.
The DF made me excited when it was first announced, I'll admit. But IMHO the camera that'll get Nikon back on track needs to be a stripped-down professional tool aiming to take on the 5dMkIV, not the M10
This about sums up my thoughts as well.

Old 02-17-2017   #127
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Photography is no longer a hobby of family men. It is a hobby of women that like to see their pictures on Facebook.

I think I will have this framed and put on my office walls, where 85% of the employees are women.

I'll get either a promotion or... (fill the blank box).

Old 02-17-2017   #128
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybrown View Post
No one under 25 cares about cameras and photographs any more.
This I will have framed too...

Old 02-17-2017   #129
CameraQuest
Head Bartender

Quote:
No one under 25 cares about cameras and photographs any more.
Lomography film sales are said to be the highest of any other photography group. The great majority are under 25.

Old 02-17-2017   #130
PKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameraQuest View Post
Lomography film sales are said to be the highest of any other photography group. The great majority are under 25.
I agree. Lots of the kids who are working as photo assistants in a digital studio are packing film cameras for their personal stuff. Phone cameras seem to cover their digital needs.

Old 02-17-2017   #131
joe bosak

I can see the under 25s would go for lomography, they are probably reliving their parents use of cheap compacts. Phone cameras as the digital analogue.

Old 02-17-2017   #132
tom.w.bn

Quote:
I feel that Nikon should get out of the digital imaging business and move back into film cameras...new lightweight but crafted F and F2 type cameras...etc.
Any digital image you see now could have been taken on a phone, for goodness sake! Constant chimping and idiotic selfies are taking the imaging business down a dead end alley.
No one under 25 cares about cameras and photographs any more. That needs to change. Nikon Canon and Leica have a legacy second to none in any aspect of optics, engineering and craft that you might care to mention and for that to die out because we all got too lazy to take photographs, but just wanted to snap something for Instagram or whatever the program is called is shaming.
What do Nikon need? Someone that loves photography more than accountants. Hold an early Rf camera from any maker and then compare that to a coolpix; say what?
They aren't making what people want; on the one hand people seem to want these picture phones, which Nikon don't make, and on the other, they are making what they can't sell. Duh.
Presumably the engineers are gone and the computers do all the work and that's why everything is so bland.
My 2 cents
I highlighted the only sentence that makes sense to me.
My 2 cents

Old 02-17-2017   #133
De_Corday
Eternal Student

Quote:
Lomography? Is Nikon thinking of that market? Aren't they taken with plastic type lenses for effects? I realize everything you look at on a page could be a photograph, but surely Nikon hasn't sailed that far adrift of it's roots, if that's not mixing up some metaphors.
I'm sure there are a great many very talented under 25s' taking great photos all over the World, but they aren't buying Nikon cameras is the point I am making. It is too big a topic for a dim old so and so like me, anyway; if Nikon can't sort themselves out, and they don't come asking for advice(!), who can help ?
:shrug: not to beat a dead horse but I know a lot of 25 year old photogs slinging Canons around...

Old 02-17-2017   #134
PKR

Quote:
Lomography? Is Nikon thinking of that market? Aren't they taken with plastic type lenses for effects? I realize everything you look at on a page could be a photograph, but surely Nikon hasn't sailed that far adrift of it's roots, if that's not mixing up some metaphors.
I'm sure there are a great many very talented under 25s' taking great photos all over the World, but they aren't buying Nikon cameras is the point I am making. It is too big a topic for a dim old so and so like me, anyway; if Nikon can't sort themselves out, and they don't come asking for advice(!), who can help ?
Some of these kids use Lomos. These are former photo students and their friends. I also see Nikon F4's as popular. Canon AE1, etc. Not much 120 stuff except for the Lomography, mostly all 35mm cameras.. Canon and Nikon. There is a very popular rental Darkroom & B+W lab in the area.

Some of these young, film using, assistants are PhotoShop wiz kids.

Old 02-17-2017   #135
YouAreHere

Have a look at shootingfilm.net and tell me again that no under 25 cares about film.

Old 02-17-2017   #136
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
(...) Photography is no longer a hobby of family men. It is a hobby of women that like to see their pictures on Facebook.
Ach was! I am a family man, and my hobby is photography.

And I know others while I do not know a woman who photographs to see her picture on Facebook.

Old 02-17-2017   #137
leicapixie

Nikon has been designing and building "systems" like the time "everyone"
voted with feet and pocketbook, from Leica to the Nikon-F or any SLR.
You bought lenses, filters, flashguns, drives and lots of lenses.

Technology gave the Point and Shoot digital, then the phone camera.
Most photographers no longer wanted a "System".
Once the taste of easily carried and used, one cannot go back.
A small unit with flash all integrated in compact package.
Even Nikon's 1" cameras needed an added flash gun.
One word. DUMB.
Nikon has also built cameras and lenses almost everywhere BUT Japan, unlike Canon Pro., lenses and FF DSLR.
Leica is compact, lenses small(large compared to past), easily useable,
almost no menu reqd.
Leica drawback is Super pricing.
It matters little, as Leica cannot make thousands of units a week.

Old 02-18-2017   #138
HHPhoto

Hi Stephen,

Quote:
Lomography film sales are said to be the highest of any other photography group.
that is a fairy tale told by the Lomography marketing guys. It has nothing to do with reality.
Lomo sales peaked already in 2011, and since then they were on a strong decline, and now stabilising on a very low level.
During the last years Lomography had to close lots of their Gallery and Embassy stores worldwide. And lots of their employees had to go.
Some of their cameras were discontinued, and no standard film models have been introduced for years (only Instax).

Lomo is now mainly surviving by
- selling Lomo Instax cameras and Instax film
- selling their 'art' lenses (made by Zenit) mainly to digital photographers.

Lomo was a very small niche in film photography before their boom from 2006-2011, and now they are again a very small niche in film photography.

The film revival is driven by real classic film photography, not by Lomography.
But it is right that lots of this new driving force is from younger photographers. All film manufacturers say that, that they have lots of (very) young customers.

Quote:
The great majority are under 25.
That may be right for current Lomographers.

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-18-2017   #139
nikonhswebmaster
Moderator NHS Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompas View Post
Ach was! I am a family man, and my hobby is photography.

And I know others while I do not know a woman who photographs to see her picture on Facebook.
Women I know flood Facebook with photos, and more so Instagram.

Old 02-18-2017   #140
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
I think he must have meant he didn't know any women.

Ha-ha
Old 02-18-2017   #141
Tim Murphy

Ha-ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
No message

Old 02-19-2017   #142
HHPhoto

Thom Hogan has a good article about our topic here:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/...inancials.html

Cheers, Jan

Old 02-19-2017   #143
Tompas
Wannabe Künstler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonhswebmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Boys, you talk about girls, not women!

Old 02-19-2017   #144
sc_rufctr
Leica nuts

I feel bad for Nikon but the whole imaging industry is in a state of "disruption". (I keep seeing this term )

If this is an issue for Nikon I'd expect Canon is in a similar position & the smaller manufacturers don't sand a chance.
If they don't change and adapt then it's just a matter of time until they're gone.

Adelaide, South Australia

Old 02-19-2017   #145
uhoh7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHPhoto View Post
Thom Hogan has a good article about our topic here:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/...inancials.html

Cheers, Jan
TY for that.

Sony cancelled A7 program twice before launch, and has been on the brink for years now. Nikon situation is worth discussion, but the press and the thread title here seem to imply bankruptcy looming.

That is BS if Hogan has it right.

Nikon has nearly gone down a number of times over the years, I thought, but usually gets their act together and does something special like the EDIF 300/2.8 in the 80's which resold the press corp in face of Canon advances.

Of course Digital bodies are more complicated.

Old 02-20-2017   #146
willie_901

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
TY for that.

Sony cancelled A7 program twice before launch, and has been on the brink for years now. Nikon situation is worth discussion, but the press and the thread title here seem to imply bankruptcy looming.

That is BS if Hogan has it right.

SONY has the resources to subsidize a business group indefinitely. Nikon does not.

In my view Nikon's current predicament is blown out of proportion. This sort of thing is inherent to journalism. In ancient times newspaper headlines were written to sell papers. Now web-site link headlines are written to generate more traffic. Nothing changes except the scale.

Nikon does have serious internal issues. Right now Nikon's earnings per share are only a penny.

Their stock closed today at $14.77 (which is just about in the middle of its 52 week price range, $16.63-$12.83). Bankruptcy is not "looming".

I suggest after about a decade of decisions that were based on Nikon's corporate culture rather than an objective evaluation of the market, Nikon has to reinvent its product development strategies. Hiring a well-known actor to pretend a camera system is cool isn't the answer.

Nikon does have excellent optical, electronics and manufacturing resources. I think we all hope Nikon's management figures out how to leverage theses assets to accommodate the current and future realities of the still-photogrpahy market.

williamchuttonjr.com

Old 02-20-2017   #147
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro View Post
Seems that something got a bit lost in translation there. 軍需企業 can be translated as "munitions company" but in this case "military supplier company" is more accurate.

The full sentence below translates to something like "Nikon was originally a military supply company established for the purpose of creating a domestic source of weapons optics for the navy (meaning things like gun sights, gun rangefinders, submarine periscopes etc.).

もとは海軍向け光学兵器の国産化を目的として設立された軍需企業
My 96 year old Father-In-Law got a factory tour of Nikon during the Korean War. The story he was told was German engineers from Contax were sent to Nikon, Leica engineers were set to Canon during the war (exchange program). After the war they stayed and helped form the companies we see today. He was told that is why Nikon followed the Contax camera design, Canon the Leica designs. Both were what you might call Open Source in today's speak as many patents (I think all) were null and voided as part of the surrender agreements.

B2 (;->

Old 02-20-2017   #148
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I suggest after about a decade of decisions that were based on Nikon's corporate culture rather than an objective evaluation of the market, Nikon has to reinvent its product development strategies.
The elephant in the room is APS-C / FF mirrorless and Nikon are not alone in being reluctant to play.
Aside from that :

The KeyMission action cameras are 'me too' GoPros - a very saturated market.
The Coolpix A was a 'me too' Ricoh GR - a 40mm view version might have broken the GR dominance.

The 1-series V3 showed promise but was only sold an over priced bundle.
The cancelled DL cameras were quite appealing.

It seems Nikon frequently come close, but fail to close the deal or stay the course.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.