Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > 120 / 220 film RF's

120 / 220 film RF's 120 / 220 format rangefinders including Fuji, Koni-Omega, Mamiya Press, Linhof 6x7/6x9 cameras, Mamiya 6/7 among others, but excluding the 120 folders and the Voigtlander 667 cameras that have their own forums.

Fuji GA645 with ND filter questions
Old 02-01-2017   #1
Dunn

Fuji GA645 with ND filter questions

I recently purchased a Fuji GA645 to travel with. So far it seems like a great camera. Just finished my first roll but haven't processed it yet.
But, my question is about using an ND filter with it. Basically, I want to keep my gear as simple as possible for travel and instead of carrying ISO100 and ISO400, I was thinking I could only carry ISO400 (Portra) and then use an ND filter if it's too bright out. First, is this a reasonable idea? If so, I was thinking a 3 stop would be enough and I could just adjust the exposure compensation of the camera. However, the camera only adjusts +2ev.
Would a 2 stop filter be enough you think? Other thoughts on this idea?
Cheers!
Ben

Tumblr

Instagram

Old 02-01-2017   #2
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

What do you suppose to need a ND filter for? This is medium format, with a slow lens to start with and a AF system that will make its own use of the DOF. Given that you are not diffraction limited right down to f/22 (and the shutter goes down to 1/700), you do not need a ND filter to prevent overexposure at ISO 400. And as you have no control over the DOF, there is no point in using a ND filter for razor thin DOF (which you won't get out of that slow lens in any case).

Old 02-02-2017   #3
Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
What do you suppose to need a ND filter for? This is medium format, with a slow lens to start with and a AF system that will make its own use of the DOF. Given that you are not diffraction limited right down to f/22 (and the shutter goes down to 1/700), you do not need a ND filter to prevent overexposure at ISO 400. And as you have no control over the DOF, there is no point in using a ND filter for razor thin DOF (which you won't get out of that slow lens in any case).
Yeah, I might be all right with 400 during the day with such a small aperture. But, I thought it might be nice to be able to open the aperture up a bit if I wanted. The camera does have aperture priority...

Tumblr

Instagram

Old 02-02-2017   #4
valdas

You can also adjust ISO setting manually with one wheel turn, it's even easier than EV compensation...

Old 02-02-2017   #5
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

I've used the GA645 for close to 20 years, and I've never thought that it needed an ND filter for the sake of exposure (I do use b/w contrast filters that knock down the effective film speed though).

A 60/4 lens is essentially similar to a 35mm lens in depth of field, and opening up would not, except in the rarest of cases, like being right on top of your subject, make the DOF enough thinner to really matter. Three stops should do it if you do want ND.

But if you do use it, use the EV comp function because that will actually record as data on the frame; changes in ISO will not. Also, you can change EV comp without shutting off the camera.

Dante